|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following makes Laurent panic?
2. Who wipes Laurent's tears?
3. The sultan's pleasure and his choice of Tristan and Laurent for his games reflect on a conversation that Laurent had with which character?
4. Who motions for Laurent to follow him?
5. Who will judge the slaves for their punishment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the diction that Rice uses in her work. How does diction create a unique representation of plot, character, and setting? Use at least three examples of diction to describe why it is so significant to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Describe sexual suppression as it appears in the novel. Which characters are sexually suppressed and how? Why is this theme significant?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the sexualized, genderized, and class-based society in which Beauty and the rest of the characters live. How does this society differ from the society in which you live? Make three comparisons. Point out three differences.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)