|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following mixtures is used as a punishment?
2. Tristan and Laurent must serve as __________.
3. Who shouts that they do not want to be rescued?
4. At the end of the chapter where Beauty is picked up by the lords, what can the reader assume?
5. How does Laurent feel about his royal title?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of decision as a theme. Discuss what makes decision a theme in the novel. Explain which decisions are most significant in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the parallelism present in the novel. One example is in the way Laurent enjoys the punishment in the village but fears and resents the second punishment under the sultan's rule. Describe the significance of parallelism in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe sexual suppression as it appears in the novel. Which characters are sexually suppressed and how? Why is this theme significant?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)