|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Beauty hope will speak to her and punish her?
2. Which of the following is an example of animalistic treatment of the slaves in the sultan's bedchamber?
3. Which of the following do the rescuers tell Tristan and Laurent to do?
4. What does Beauty want to be?
5. What does Laurent begin to recognize as true power after he meets the sultan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of decision as a theme. Discuss what makes decision a theme in the novel. Explain which decisions are most significant in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write about the relationships in the novel. Is there any importance placed on sex, relationships, or marriage in this novel? Why do you think sex is approached so casually in the novel? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the theme of punishment in the novel. How does punishment relate to Laurent and Beauty, the main characters? How does each character experience punishment? How and why do these punishments differ?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)