|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who purchases Tristan at the end of his sentence?
2. What is Tristan punished for as a pony?
3. Which of the following does not describe the sultan as Laurent sees him?
4. What does Beauty want to be?
5. Even though he is punished, who does Laurent assert his master status over?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the sexualized, genderized, and class-based society in which Beauty and the rest of the characters live. How does this society differ from the society in which you live? Make three comparisons. Point out three differences.
Essay Topic 2
Describe sexual suppression as it appears in the novel. Which characters are sexually suppressed and how? Why is this theme significant?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the sultan. How does he treat Laurent, Tristan, and others around him? Is this what you expected? Why or why not? What was your final impression of the sultan, and how did it differ from your first impression of him? Why?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)