|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to her parents, what will Beauty's fate be?
2. Which of the following suggests that Beauty has found the ability to love?
3. What does Tristan say about his former master?
4. What does Laurent begin to recognize as true power after he meets the sultan?
5. What is the name of the pretty boy serving as a pony?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the novel's casual tone juxtapose the sadistic events and characters? Discuss and analyze this juxtaposition as well as what effect this juxtaposition has on the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Beauty, Tristan, and Laurent each discuss different types of love. Describe these three types of love that the characters describe. Why is love a universal theme in the novel in spite of the prevalence of sexuality and punishment?
Essay Topic 3
Choose a classic and traditional fairy tale that you know well. Compare Beauty's Release to this fairy tale. Find at least three comparisons and three juxtapositions. Point out parallels present in both tales and whether the moral message is the same.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)