|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Laurent's fate when the slaves are appraised?
2. In the male part of the sultan's palace, who is meant to feel pleasure?
3. Which of the following suggests that Beauty has found the ability to love?
4. How many other animals are in Tristan and Laurent's group?
5. Which of the following is petitioning for Beauty's hand in marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the parallelism present in the novel. One example is in the way Laurent enjoys the punishment in the village but fears and resents the second punishment under the sultan's rule. Describe the significance of parallelism in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What role does irony play in Beauty's Release? Why is the queen's punishment that is inflicted on the slaves when they return ironic?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the theme of punishment in the novel. How does punishment relate to Laurent and Beauty, the main characters? How does each character experience punishment? How and why do these punishments differ?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)