|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character makes the decision to change his or her destiny and give up his or her master status?
2. Where will Laurent and Tristan sleep?
3. Which of the following is an example of animalistic treatment of the slaves in the sultan's bedchamber?
4. On their way to the gardens, what do four men carry toward Laurent and Tristan?
5. What does Tristan say about his former master?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the novel's casual tone juxtapose the sadistic events and characters? Discuss and analyze this juxtaposition as well as what effect this juxtaposition has on the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the diction that Rice uses in her work. How does diction create a unique representation of plot, character, and setting? Use at least three examples of diction to describe why it is so significant to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Write about the relationships in the novel. Is there any importance placed on sex, relationships, or marriage in this novel? Why do you think sex is approached so casually in the novel? Why is this significant?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)