|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laurent begin to recognize as true power after he meets the sultan?
2. What does Beauty assume about getting caught?
3. Beauty finds out that she is being released to _______.
4. Which of the following suggests that Beauty has found the ability to love?
5. What is Laurent's fate when the slaves are appraised?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character ends up in the most ideal situation by the end of the novel, in terms of the happiness as the characters see it? Use at least one citation from the novel to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Beauty, Tristan, and Laurent each discuss different types of love. Describe these three types of love that the characters describe. Why is love a universal theme in the novel in spite of the prevalence of sexuality and punishment?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one motif, reoccurring item, idea, character, or theme, that you think is significant to the plot or character development in the novel. Explain why this motif is significant and why you think it is important to point this motif out.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)