|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs during the punishment of the slaves in the garden?
2. What has Beauty learned to be?
3. Who shouts that they do not want to be rescued?
4. To whom will Beauty belong?
5. When the sultan explores the welts on Laurent's back, how does Laurent feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is point of view significant to Beauty's Release? Compare and contrast the two perspectives from which the novel is told - Laurent's first person point of view and Beauty's third person limited point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the theme of punishment in the novel. How does punishment relate to Laurent and Beauty, the main characters? How does each character experience punishment? How and why do these punishments differ?
Essay Topic 3
What role does irony play in Beauty's Release? Why is the queen's punishment that is inflicted on the slaves when they return ironic?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)