|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Beauty says that if she is sentenced to serve she would run away to ________.
2. To whom will Beauty belong?
3. What is the name of the pretty boy serving as a pony?
4. What is Tristan's fate when the slaves are appraised?
5. According to her parents, what will Beauty's fate be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is point of view significant to Beauty's Release? Compare and contrast the two perspectives from which the novel is told - Laurent's first person point of view and Beauty's third person limited point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Beauty, Tristan, and Laurent each discuss different types of love. Describe these three types of love that the characters describe. Why is love a universal theme in the novel in spite of the prevalence of sexuality and punishment?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the parallelism present in the novel. One example is in the way Laurent enjoys the punishment in the village but fears and resents the second punishment under the sultan's rule. Describe the significance of parallelism in the novel.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)