|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laurent begin to recognize as true power after he meets the sultan?
2. According to Tristan, who is disturbing the order at the sultanate?
3. Where does Laurent's rape occur?
4. What happens to Lexius when he is bound to the cross?
5. What does Beauty's potential husband beg to be for her?
Essay Topic 1
How does the novel's casual tone juxtapose the sadistic events and characters? Discuss and analyze this juxtaposition as well as what effect this juxtaposition has on the reader.
Essay Topic 2
What role does irony play in Beauty's Release? Why is the queen's punishment that is inflicted on the slaves when they return ironic?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the theme of punishment in the novel. How does punishment relate to Laurent and Beauty, the main characters? How does each character experience punishment? How and why do these punishments differ?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)