|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Laurent's fate when the slaves are appraised?
2. How does Laurent feel about Beauty returning to her realm?
3. Who will judge the slaves for their punishment?
4. When Laurent and Tristan play a game with the sultan and Lexius, who wins most of the rounds?
5. In the male part of the sultan's palace, who is meant to feel pleasure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
On their way back from the sultan's palace, it becomes evident that Tristan, Beauty, and Laurent have each taken something back with them. Explain what each character learned, how that lesson came to them, and how the lesson helped or hurt them later on.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the theme of punishment in the novel. How does punishment relate to Laurent and Beauty, the main characters? How does each character experience punishment? How and why do these punishments differ?
Essay Topic 3
Beauty, Tristan, and Laurent each discuss different types of love. Describe these three types of love that the characters describe. Why is love a universal theme in the novel in spite of the prevalence of sexuality and punishment?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)