|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where will Laurent and Tristan sleep?
2. According to Tristan, who is disturbing the order at the sultanate?
3. Who shouts that they do not want to be rescued?
4. Who does Beauty hope will speak to her and punish her?
5. At the end of the chapter where Beauty is picked up by the lords, what can the reader assume?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beauty, Tristan, and Laurent each discuss different types of love. Describe these three types of love that the characters describe. Why is love a universal theme in the novel in spite of the prevalence of sexuality and punishment?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the sultan. How does he treat Laurent, Tristan, and others around him? Is this what you expected? Why or why not? What was your final impression of the sultan, and how did it differ from your first impression of him? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe sexual suppression as it appears in the novel. Which characters are sexually suppressed and how? Why is this theme significant?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)