|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the slaves are lifted and carried in a procession, where are they heading?
2. Who seems to acknowledge that the slaves are humans?
3. With what are Beauty's legs bound?
4. Which of the following describes the master's actions toward the slaves?
5. Where does Laurent wake up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Tristan in "More Secret Lessons"?
2. Describe the examination of the slaves.
3. What fate does the queen determine for Lexius when the ship lands at shore?
4. How does the examination of the slaves show the feeling of the slaves?
5. What was Beauty's Punishment about?
6. How have Beauty, Tristan, and Laurent changed since they arrived at the sultan's palace?
7. What are the similarities and differences between the animalistic treatment in the sultanate and the queendom?
8. What becomes of Tristan after his time spent as a pony?
9. What happens when the ship anchors?
10. How does Beauty show that she has not adjusted to royal life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does irony play in Beauty's Release? Why is the queen's punishment that is inflicted on the slaves when they return ironic?
Essay Topic 2
Beauty, Tristan, and Laurent each discuss different types of love. Describe these three types of love that the characters describe. Why is love a universal theme in the novel in spite of the prevalence of sexuality and punishment?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the role of decision as a theme. Discuss what makes decision a theme in the novel. Explain which decisions are most significant in the novel.
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)