|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Despite their situation, what do the slaves desire?
2. When Laurent compares his mistress to Beauty, what does he think makes the difference in regards to love?
3. Beauty a favorite of __________.
4. Which of the following happens after Beauty falls asleep alone in the chamber, tied up?
5. Despite her submissiveness, what does Beauty remain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationships can the reader expect to be explored in this novel?
2. Why is Tristan reluctant to be rescued?
3. What fate does the queen determine for Lexius when the ship lands at shore?
4. How does Laurent try to escape punishment, and what result does it have?
5. How is irony present when the master addresses the slaves?
6. What was the Claiming of Sleeping Beauty about?
7. What becomes of Tristan after his time spent as a pony?
8. What elements of foreshadowing are present in "Through the City and Into the Palace"?
9. Why does Tristan first feel that Laurent is disturbing the order of the sultanate?
10. Why does Laurent decide to get married?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the novel's casual tone juxtapose the sadistic events and characters? Discuss and analyze this juxtaposition as well as what effect this juxtaposition has on the reader.
Essay Topic 2
What role does irony play in Beauty's Release? Why is the queen's punishment that is inflicted on the slaves when they return ironic?
Essay Topic 3
By the end of the novel, is the reader supposed to be convinced that there is a happy ending for all the characters? Why or why not? Find at least two supporting arguments to back up your opinion.
This section contains 1,368 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)