|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the master inspects Beauty, what does he slap?
2. For what does Lexius get out a whip to punish Laurent?
3. What type of sexual relationships were present in the queen's kingdom?
4. Which of the following does Laurent regret?
5. When the master addresses the slaves, why are they shocked?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the sexuality of the prisoners suppressed?
2. What does the master require of the slaves?
3. What fate does the queen determine for Lexius when the ship lands at shore?
4. Why does Laurent decide to get married?
5. Why are the women in the harem, including Inanna, curious about Beauty?
6. How have Beauty, Tristan, and Laurent changed since they arrived at the sultan's palace?
7. What was Beauty's Punishment about?
8. What is the first instance of humanization for the slaves?
9. What kind of life does Beauty want for herself?
10. How does Beauty show that she has not adjusted to royal life?
Essay Topic 1
How is point of view significant to Beauty's Release? Compare and contrast the two perspectives from which the novel is told - Laurent's first person point of view and Beauty's third person limited point of view.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the diction that Rice uses in her work. How does diction create a unique representation of plot, character, and setting? Use at least three examples of diction to describe why it is so significant to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the tone of Beauty's Release. What elements create this tone? Consider diction, character development, dialogue, syntax, and figurative language.
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)