|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what is Laurent's chained hooked?
2. What did Tristan become?
3. Which of the following is ironic?
4. Where was Beauty kidnapped from?
5. Beauty a favorite of __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What elements of foreshadowing are present in "Through the City and Into the Palace"?
2. What element of parallelism is present in "For the Love of the Master"?
3. Why are the women in the harem, including Inanna, curious about Beauty?
4. What becomes of Tristan after his time spent as a pony?
5. What does Beauty question about the harem that is also an instance of foreshadowing?
6. What are the signs that the sex between Laurent and Lexius was consensual?
7. What type of life is Beauty used to?
8. What are the similarities and differences between the animalistic treatment in the sultanate and the queendom?
9. What is the example of irony present in "The First Test of Obedience"?
10. What is the first instance of humanization for the slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of decision as a theme. Discuss what makes decision a theme in the novel. Explain which decisions are most significant in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a classic and traditional fairy tale that you know well. Compare Beauty's Release to this fairy tale. Find at least three comparisons and three juxtapositions. Point out parallels present in both tales and whether the moral message is the same.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one motif, reoccurring item, idea, character, or theme, that you think is significant to the plot or character development in the novel. Explain why this motif is significant and why you think it is important to point this motif out.
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)