|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the master say that the sultan requires?
2. Whom does the master inspect last?
3. Which of the following is shown in the inspection of the slaves?
4. What does the master tell the slaves that they must do at all times?
5. How does Laurent feel when he sees what his punishment is going to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the way Laurent feels when he is bound to the cross during the banquet.
2. What are the similarities and differences between the animalistic treatment in the sultanate and the queendom?
3. How does foreshadowing occur when the master addresses the slaves?
4. Why does Laurent begin crying in the sultan's bedchamber?
5. Who is Beauty?
6. Why did Laurent run away from Lady Elvera's house?
7. How is irony present when the master addresses the slaves?
8. Why are the slaves adorned with jewels and glitter?
9. How is Beauty's intellect shown for the first time?
10. Describe Laurent and Tristan's treatment as ponies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the following parts of the story: climax, resolution, introduction, development, and rising action. Explain which part of the novel represents each part of the story, as well as why each part is significant to the plot or character development.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the sultan. How does he treat Laurent, Tristan, and others around him? Is this what you expected? Why or why not? What was your final impression of the sultan, and how did it differ from your first impression of him? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the parallelism present in the novel. One example is in the way Laurent enjoys the punishment in the village but fears and resents the second punishment under the sultan's rule. Describe the significance of parallelism in the novel.
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)