|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what point of view is Beauty's story told?
2. What does Beauty realize about the sultana's body?
3. According to Beauty, who is ashamed of their sexual urges?
4. In the queen's court, what was Beauty's role?
5. Which of the following fears are shown when Beauty sees the women in the courtyard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance behind the point of view in "Through the City and Into the Palace"?
2. What fate does the queen determine for Lexius when the ship lands at shore?
3. Describe the way Laurent feels when he is bound to the cross during the banquet.
4. What will Beauty's fate be when the ship hits shore?
5. What element of parallelism is present in "For the Love of the Master"?
6. What are the two ways that Laurent distinguishes himself in the sultan's court?
7. Describe the types of love that Laurent considers.
8. Describe the sultan.
9. Describe the people on the ship with Laurent.
10. Describe the examination of the slaves.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one motif, reoccurring item, idea, character, or theme, that you think is significant to the plot or character development in the novel. Explain why this motif is significant and why you think it is important to point this motif out.
Essay Topic 2
Write about the relationships in the novel. Is there any importance placed on sex, relationships, or marriage in this novel? Why do you think sex is approached so casually in the novel? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
Which character ends up in the most ideal situation by the end of the novel, in terms of the happiness as the characters see it? Use at least one citation from the novel to back up your opinion.
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)