|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is an element of foreshadowing in the novel?
2. Which of the following fears are shown when Beauty sees the women in the courtyard?
3. According to Laurent's suggestion, who is a eunuch?
4. What word do the characters use to describe their genitals?
5. What does the master inspire in the slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the language used in reference to sexuality.
2. What are the signs that the sex between Laurent and Lexius was consensual?
3. What emotions does Beauty face during the cleaning process?
4. What is the first instance of humanization for the slaves?
5. What does Laurent's immediate submersion into and acceptance of court life represent?
6. What is Laurent's response to Tristan being chosen by the sultan?
7. Why does Inanna dress as a man to release Beauty from her constraints?
8. What becomes of Tristan after his time spent as a pony?
9. What was the Claiming of Sleeping Beauty about?
10. What fate does the queen determine for Laurent and Tristan?
Essay Topic 1
Choose a classic and traditional fairy tale that you know well. Compare Beauty's Release to this fairy tale. Find at least three comparisons and three juxtapositions. Point out parallels present in both tales and whether the moral message is the same.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the sultan. How does he treat Laurent, Tristan, and others around him? Is this what you expected? Why or why not? What was your final impression of the sultan, and how did it differ from your first impression of him? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How is point of view significant to Beauty's Release? Compare and contrast the two perspectives from which the novel is told - Laurent's first person point of view and Beauty's third person limited point of view.
This section contains 1,369 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)