|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Lexius get out a whip to punish Laurent?
2. Who is Beauty attracted to?
3. What does Beauty realize carries no weight in her life as a slave?
4. What word do the characters use to describe their genitals?
5. What does the master say that the sultan requires?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Laurent's insistence that Lexius be taken back to the queen tell the reader?
2. What element of parallelism is present in "For the Love of the Master"?
3. What is the example of irony present in "The First Test of Obedience"?
4. What kind of life does Beauty want for herself?
5. Why does Laurent claim that the sex slaves' current position is degrading?
6. How does Laurent try to escape punishment, and what result does it have?
7. What elements of foreshadowing are present in "Through the City and Into the Palace"?
8. What was Beauty's Punishment about?
9. Why is the tone of the novel inconsistent with the events?
10. How is Beauty's intellect shown for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the sultan. How does he treat Laurent, Tristan, and others around him? Is this what you expected? Why or why not? What was your final impression of the sultan, and how did it differ from your first impression of him? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the diction that Rice uses in her work. How does diction create a unique representation of plot, character, and setting? Use at least three examples of diction to describe why it is so significant to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the parallelism present in the novel. One example is in the way Laurent enjoys the punishment in the village but fears and resents the second punishment under the sultan's rule. Describe the significance of parallelism in the novel.
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)