|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which three characters are foreshadowed to have a strange relationship?
2. What do the attendants treat the prisoners like?
3. What does Beauty realize, in horror, that human are used as for the sultan?
4. What is the next process that the slaves have to go through after the master talks to them?
5. While Lexius talks with two male servants, what does Beauty hear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a result of the master's gentleness with the slaves?
2. After the sexual experience that Laurent and Lexius share, how do both men feel?
3. How is irony present when the master addresses the slaves?
4. Why do you think Beauty is placed on the ship?
5. How is the sexuality of the prisoners suppressed?
6. What emotions does Beauty face during the cleaning process?
7. Describe the language used in reference to sexuality.
8. What fate does the queen determine for Laurent and Tristan?
9. What was Beauty's Punishment about?
10. What fate does the queen determine for Lexius when the ship lands at shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the following parts of the story: climax, resolution, introduction, development, and rising action. Explain which part of the novel represents each part of the story, as well as why each part is significant to the plot or character development.
Essay Topic 2
Identify and analyze the tone of Beauty's Release. What elements create this tone? Consider diction, character development, dialogue, syntax, and figurative language.
Essay Topic 3
Write about the relationships in the novel. Is there any importance placed on sex, relationships, or marriage in this novel? Why do you think sex is approached so casually in the novel? Why is this significant?
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)