|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the male slaves after they enter the garden?
2. Who is Tristan in love with?
3. What does Beauty realize about the sultana's body?
4. When Lexius guides Beauty to a small opening in a wall, which of the following things does Beauty see?
5. When the master addresses the slaves, why are they shocked?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the master require of the slaves?
2. Why does Laurent decide to get married?
3. Describe the sultan.
4. Why does Laurent begin crying in the sultan's bedchamber?
5. Why does Laurent claim that the sex slaves' current position is degrading?
6. Describe the types of love that Laurent considers.
7. Why did Laurent run away from Lady Elvera's house?
8. What is the example of irony present in "The First Test of Obedience"?
9. What kind of life does Beauty want for herself?
10. What does Laurent's immediate submersion into and acceptance of court life represent?
Essay Topic 1
How does the novel's casual tone juxtapose the sadistic events and characters? Discuss and analyze this juxtaposition as well as what effect this juxtaposition has on the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one motif, reoccurring item, idea, character, or theme, that you think is significant to the plot or character development in the novel. Explain why this motif is significant and why you think it is important to point this motif out.
Essay Topic 3
By the end of the novel, is the reader supposed to be convinced that there is a happy ending for all the characters? Why or why not? Find at least two supporting arguments to back up your opinion.
This section contains 1,387 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)