|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of sexual relationships were present in the queen's kingdom?
2. What happens to the male slaves after they enter the garden?
3. After his conversation about love with Beauty, what does Laurent conclude about his mistress?
4. What submissive gesture do the slaves use when moving along the corridors?
5. What is done with Beauty's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What element of parallelism is present in "For the Love of the Master"?
2. Describe the examination of the slaves.
3. After the sexual experience that Laurent and Lexius share, how do both men feel?
4. Describe Laurent and Tristan's treatment as ponies.
5. What is the first instance of humanization for the slaves?
6. What does Beauty question about the harem that is also an instance of foreshadowing?
7. What type of life is Beauty used to?
8. What is the example of irony present in "The First Test of Obedience"?
9. Why did Laurent run away from Lady Elvera's house?
10. How is Beauty's intellect shown for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is there a moral in Beauty's Release? If so, what is it ? How did you arrive at this conclusion? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one motif, reoccurring item, idea, character, or theme, that you think is significant to the plot or character development in the novel. Explain why this motif is significant and why you think it is important to point this motif out.
Essay Topic 3
How does the novel's casual tone juxtapose the sadistic events and characters? Discuss and analyze this juxtaposition as well as what effect this juxtaposition has on the reader.
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)