|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the master inspire in the slaves?
2. What does Beauty notice about herself and the other slaves?
3. In which of the following does Laurent allude to being interested?
4. What do the attendants treat the prisoners like?
5. After his conversation about love with Beauty, what does Laurent conclude about his mistress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Beauty is placed on the ship?
2. What will Beauty's fate be when the ship hits shore?
3. How does Beauty show that she has not adjusted to royal life?
4. Why does Inanna dress as a man to release Beauty from her constraints?
5. What are the signs that the sex between Laurent and Lexius was consensual?
6. What is the first instance of humanization for the slaves?
7. How does the examination of the slaves show the feeling of the slaves?
8. What emotions does Beauty face during the cleaning process?
9. Why does Tristan first feel that Laurent is disturbing the order of the sultanate?
10. What does Laurent's immediate submersion into and acceptance of court life represent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe sexual suppression as it appears in the novel. Which characters are sexually suppressed and how? Why is this theme significant?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the diction that Rice uses in her work. How does diction create a unique representation of plot, character, and setting? Use at least three examples of diction to describe why it is so significant to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the theme of punishment in the novel. How does punishment relate to Laurent and Beauty, the main characters? How does each character experience punishment? How and why do these punishments differ?
This section contains 1,483 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)