|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Laurent compares his mistress to Beauty, what does he think makes the difference in regards to love?
2. What submissive gesture do the slaves use when moving along the corridors?
3. What does the master inspire in the slaves?
4. When the slaves are lifted and carried in a procession, where are they heading?
5. What color is Beauty's hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first instance of humanization for the slaves?
2. Why does Tristan first feel that Laurent is disturbing the order of the sultanate?
3. What does the reader learn about Tristan in "More Secret Lessons"?
4. What does Beauty question about the harem that is also an instance of foreshadowing?
5. Why does Inanna dress as a man to release Beauty from her constraints?
6. Describe the examination of the slaves.
7. Describe Laurent and Tristan's treatment as ponies.
8. Describe the way Laurent feels when he is bound to the cross during the banquet.
9. How is Beauty's intellect shown for the first time?
10. After his sentence serving as a pony is over, what becomes of Laurent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the role of decision as a theme. Discuss what makes decision a theme in the novel. Explain which decisions are most significant in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the theme of punishment in the novel. How does punishment relate to Laurent and Beauty, the main characters? How does each character experience punishment? How and why do these punishments differ?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the tone of Beauty's Release. What elements create this tone? Consider diction, character development, dialogue, syntax, and figurative language.
This section contains 1,388 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)