|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When she is kidnapped, who is Beauty forced to serve?
2. What is the name of the sultana?
3. What is Beauty's new dream as the ship anchors?
4. Which character was punished for speaking up by being bound, gagged, and suspended from the ceiling?
5. Which slave receives anal probing as a punishment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What will Beauty's fate be when the ship hits shore?
2. What is the first instance of humanization for the slaves?
3. Describe the people on the ship with Laurent.
4. What kind of life does Beauty want for herself?
5. Why does Tristan first feel that Laurent is disturbing the order of the sultanate?
6. What fate does the queen determine for Lexius when the ship lands at shore?
7. What does Laurent's immediate submersion into and acceptance of court life represent?
8. What happens when the ship anchors?
9. How does Beauty show that she has not adjusted to royal life?
10. How is the sexuality of the prisoners suppressed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the diction that Rice uses in her work. How does diction create a unique representation of plot, character, and setting? Use at least three examples of diction to describe why it is so significant to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Which character ends up in the most ideal situation by the end of the novel, in terms of the happiness as the characters see it? Use at least one citation from the novel to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the parallelism present in the novel. One example is in the way Laurent enjoys the punishment in the village but fears and resents the second punishment under the sultan's rule. Describe the significance of parallelism in the novel.
This section contains 1,407 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)