|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the attendants treat the prisoners like?
2. What type of man approaches Beauty as she is bound in the chamber?
3. What is the master's official title?
4. What color is Beauty's hair?
5. What word do the characters use to describe their genitals?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the examination the slaves undergo show dehumanization and degradation?
2. How is Beauty's intellect shown for the first time?
3. What relationships can the reader expect to be explored in this novel?
4. Why are the slaves adorned with jewels and glitter?
5. What is a result of the master's gentleness with the slaves?
6. What are the two ways that Laurent distinguishes himself in the sultan's court?
7. Describe the language used in reference to sexuality.
8. What fate does the queen determine for Lexius when the ship lands at shore?
9. What proves to Laurent that Lexius enjoyed their rendezvous?
10. Who is Beauty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the novel's casual tone juxtapose the sadistic events and characters? Discuss and analyze this juxtaposition as well as what effect this juxtaposition has on the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Describe sexual suppression as it appears in the novel. Which characters are sexually suppressed and how? Why is this theme significant?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and analyze the tone of Beauty's Release. What elements create this tone? Consider diction, character development, dialogue, syntax, and figurative language.
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)