Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the master inspects Beauty, what does he slap?
2. For what does Lexius get out a whip to punish Laurent?
3. What type of sexual relationships were present in the queen's kingdom?
4. Which of the following does Laurent regret?
5. When the master addresses the slaves, why are they shocked?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the sexuality of the prisoners suppressed?
2. What does the master require of the slaves?
3. What fate does the queen determine for Lexius when the ship lands at shore?
4. Why does Laurent decide to get married?
5. Why are the women in the harem, including Inanna, curious about Beauty?
6. How have Beauty, Tristan, and Laurent changed since they arrived at the sultan's palace?
7. What was Beauty's Punishment about?
8. What is the first instance of humanization for the slaves?
9. What kind of life does Beauty want for herself?
10. How does Beauty show that she has not adjusted to royal life?
Write about the relationships in the novel. Is there any importance placed on sex, relationships, or marriage in this novel? Why do you think sex is approached so casually in the novel? Why is this significant?
Beauty, Tristan, and Laurent each discuss different types of love. Describe these three types of love that the characters describe. Why is love a universal theme in the novel in spite of the prevalence of sexuality and punishment?
On their way back from the sultan's palace, it becomes evident that Tristan, Beauty, and Laurent have each taken something back with them. Explain what each character learned, how that lesson came to them, and how the lesson helped or hurt them later on.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)