|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the queen's court, what was Beauty's role?
2. What color is Beauty's hair?
3. After his conversation about love with Beauty, what does Laurent conclude about his mistress?
4. Who is Tristan in love with?
5. When Beauty is taken into a chamber after Lexius talks to the group, what happens?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader learn about Tristan in "More Secret Lessons"?
2. What does Beauty question about the harem that is also an instance of foreshadowing?
3. How does foreshadowing occur when the master addresses the slaves?
4. Why are the women in the harem, including Inanna, curious about Beauty?
5. What happens when the ship anchors?
6. How does Beauty show that she has not adjusted to royal life?
7. What proves to Laurent that Lexius enjoyed their rendezvous?
8. What is the first instance of humanization for the slaves?
9. How does Laurent try to escape punishment, and what result does it have?
10. Why does Laurent claim that the sex slaves' current position is degrading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the sultan. How does he treat Laurent, Tristan, and others around him? Is this what you expected? Why or why not? What was your final impression of the sultan, and how did it differ from your first impression of him? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the theme of punishment in the novel. How does punishment relate to Laurent and Beauty, the main characters? How does each character experience punishment? How and why do these punishments differ?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the diction that Rice uses in her work. How does diction create a unique representation of plot, character, and setting? Use at least three examples of diction to describe why it is so significant to the story.
This section contains 1,450 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)