|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following tone changes are consistent with the occurrences in "The Watcher"?
2. When Beauty is pushed forward into the group of woman, what does Lexius warn her of?
3. When Beauty is taken into a chamber after Lexius talks to the group, what happens?
4. Whom does the master inspect last?
5. When the master addresses the slaves, why are they shocked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tristan first feel that Laurent is disturbing the order of the sultanate?
2. Why is the tone of the novel inconsistent with the events?
3. What does Beauty question about the harem that is also an instance of foreshadowing?
4. How does the examination the slaves undergo show dehumanization and degradation?
5. How is Beauty's intellect shown for the first time?
6. Why are the women in the harem, including Inanna, curious about Beauty?
7. What fate does the queen determine for Lexius when the ship lands at shore?
8. Describe the way Laurent feels when he is bound to the cross during the banquet.
9. What are the two ways that Laurent distinguishes himself in the sultan's court?
10. What is a result of the master's gentleness with the slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does irony play in Beauty's Release? Why is the queen's punishment that is inflicted on the slaves when they return ironic?
Essay Topic 2
How does the novel's casual tone juxtapose the sadistic events and characters? Discuss and analyze this juxtaposition as well as what effect this juxtaposition has on the reader.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the theme of punishment in the novel. How does punishment relate to Laurent and Beauty, the main characters? How does each character experience punishment? How and why do these punishments differ?
This section contains 1,457 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)