|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Beauty realize that the women in the harem are not supposed to feel?
2. What is the significance of the Prologue?
3. Which of the following tone changes are consistent with the occurrences in "The Watcher"?
4. Whom does Beauty most want to serve?
5. How does Laurent feel about being punished in front of the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Laurent decide to get married?
2. What is the significance behind the point of view in "Through the City and Into the Palace"?
3. What is a result of the master's gentleness with the slaves?
4. Why does Tristan first feel that Laurent is disturbing the order of the sultanate?
5. Why does Inanna dress as a man to release Beauty from her constraints?
6. Why does Laurent begin crying in the sultan's bedchamber?
7. How does Beauty show that she has not adjusted to royal life?
8. What becomes of Tristan after his time spent as a pony?
9. Describe the sultan.
10. Why is the tone of the novel inconsistent with the events?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe sexual suppression as it appears in the novel. Which characters are sexually suppressed and how? Why is this theme significant?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the theme of punishment in the novel. How does punishment relate to Laurent and Beauty, the main characters? How does each character experience punishment? How and why do these punishments differ?
Essay Topic 3
How does the novel's casual tone juxtapose the sadistic events and characters? Discuss and analyze this juxtaposition as well as what effect this juxtaposition has on the reader.
This section contains 1,420 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)