|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the queen's emissary warn the prisoners of when they are kidnapped?
2. What is the name of the queen Beauty served?
3. What does Beauty realize about the sultana's body?
4. Who dares to look into the master's eyes?
5. Despite her submissiveness, what does Beauty remain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the sexuality of the prisoners suppressed?
2. Describe the tone change from desolation to eeriness in "The Watcher."
3. Describe Laurent and Tristan's treatment as ponies.
4. What does the reader learn about Tristan in "More Secret Lessons"?
5. Why did Laurent run away from Lady Elvera's house?
6. What are the similarities and differences between the animalistic treatment in the sultanate and the queendom?
7. What becomes of Tristan after his time spent as a pony?
8. What proves to Laurent that Lexius enjoyed their rendezvous?
9. Describe the examination of the slaves.
10. How is irony present when the master addresses the slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does irony play in Beauty's Release? Why is the queen's punishment that is inflicted on the slaves when they return ironic?
Essay Topic 2
Which character ends up in the most ideal situation by the end of the novel, in terms of the happiness as the characters see it? Use at least one citation from the novel to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the following parts of the story: climax, resolution, introduction, development, and rising action. Explain which part of the novel represents each part of the story, as well as why each part is significant to the plot or character development.
This section contains 1,396 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)