|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the Prologue?
2. When Lexius guides Beauty to a small opening in a wall, which of the following things does Beauty see?
3. Who raids the village?
4. When Laurent compares his mistress to Beauty, what does he think makes the difference in regards to love?
5. When three men enter the garden, who does the most important approach first?
Short Essay Questions
1. What fate does the queen determine for Lexius when the ship lands at shore?
2. What was Beauty's Punishment about?
3. After his sentence serving as a pony is over, what becomes of Laurent?
4. What relationships can the reader expect to be explored in this novel?
5. What kind of life does Beauty want for herself?
6. Why is Tristan reluctant to be rescued?
7. What does the reader learn about Tristan in "More Secret Lessons"?
8. Why does Laurent claim that the sex slaves' current position is degrading?
9. Describe the language used in reference to sexuality.
10. How is Beauty's intellect shown for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the diction that Rice uses in her work. How does diction create a unique representation of plot, character, and setting? Use at least three examples of diction to describe why it is so significant to the story.
Essay Topic 2
Is there a moral in Beauty's Release? If so, what is it ? How did you arrive at this conclusion? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
By the end of the novel, is the reader supposed to be convinced that there is a happy ending for all the characters? Why or why not? Find at least two supporting arguments to back up your opinion.
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)