|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long before being kidnapped did Laurent run away from his mistress' household?
2. Whom does Beauty most want to serve?
3. Despite her submissiveness, what does Beauty remain?
4. What does the master tell the slaves that they must do at all times?
5. With what are Beauty's legs bound?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the examination the slaves undergo show dehumanization and degradation?
2. What does Laurent's insistence that Lexius be taken back to the queen tell the reader?
3. What is the example of irony present in "The First Test of Obedience"?
4. Who is Beauty?
5. What is the significance behind the point of view in "Through the City and Into the Palace"?
6. What was Beauty's Punishment about?
7. What is the first instance of humanization for the slaves?
8. What will Beauty's fate be when the ship hits shore?
9. After the sexual experience that Laurent and Lexius share, how do both men feel?
10. What proves to Laurent that Lexius enjoyed their rendezvous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the parallelism present in the novel. One example is in the way Laurent enjoys the punishment in the village but fears and resents the second punishment under the sultan's rule. Describe the significance of parallelism in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write about the relationships in the novel. Is there any importance placed on sex, relationships, or marriage in this novel? Why do you think sex is approached so casually in the novel? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 3
Describe sexual suppression as it appears in the novel. Which characters are sexually suppressed and how? Why is this theme significant?
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)