|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the master tell the slaves that they must do at all times?
2. When the slaves are lifted and carried in a procession, where are they heading?
3. What is the master's official title?
4. What does the master inspire in the slaves?
5. Which of the following is shown in the inspection of the slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the similarities and differences between the animalistic treatment in the sultanate and the queendom?
2. How does Beauty show that she has not adjusted to royal life?
3. What was the Claiming of Sleeping Beauty about?
4. Why does Laurent claim that the sex slaves' current position is degrading?
5. Describe the people on the ship with Laurent.
6. What is the example of irony present in "The First Test of Obedience"?
7. What does the reader learn about Tristan in "More Secret Lessons"?
8. How does Laurent try to escape punishment, and what result does it have?
9. Describe Laurent and Tristan's treatment as ponies.
10. What fate does the queen determine for Lexius when the ship lands at shore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character ends up in the most ideal situation by the end of the novel, in terms of the happiness as the characters see it? Use at least one citation from the novel to back up your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the sultan. How does he treat Laurent, Tristan, and others around him? Is this what you expected? Why or why not? What was your final impression of the sultan, and how did it differ from your first impression of him? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe sexual suppression as it appears in the novel. Which characters are sexually suppressed and how? Why is this theme significant?
This section contains 1,443 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)