|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do both Laurent and Lexius feel after their sexual encounter?
2. How does Laurent feel when he is with his mistress?
3. What does Beauty realize carries no weight in her life as a slave?
4. What do the attendants treat the prisoners like?
5. What is the tone used to indicate the attitude toward the relationships in the queen's kingdom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two ways that Laurent distinguishes himself in the sultan's court?
2. What does the master require of the slaves?
3. What does the reader learn about Tristan in "More Secret Lessons"?
4. Describe the way Laurent feels when he is bound to the cross during the banquet.
5. How does Laurent try to escape punishment, and what result does it have?
6. What becomes of Tristan after his time spent as a pony?
7. What happens when the ship anchors?
8. Why does Laurent begin crying in the sultan's bedchamber?
9. Why are the women in the harem, including Inanna, curious about Beauty?
10. What does Beauty question about the harem that is also an instance of foreshadowing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and analyze the tone of Beauty's Release. What elements create this tone? Consider diction, character development, dialogue, syntax, and figurative language.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the role of decision as a theme. Discuss what makes decision a theme in the novel. Explain which decisions are most significant in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write about the relationships in the novel. Is there any importance placed on sex, relationships, or marriage in this novel? Why do you think sex is approached so casually in the novel? Why is this significant?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)