|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened on January 30, 1956?
2. How long was King sentenced to jail for violating his probation?
3. At the meeting with Kennedy, the President told King to distance himself from whom?
4. Who made a speech on the day before the march that upset the White House?
5. Who rebuked King's attempt to organize a day of mourning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did John and Robert Kennedy do for King? How did this come about?
2. What did the white merchants do in Birmingham after the protests began?
3. What happened during King's trial? How did King feel about this?
4. What happened in King and Abernathy's trial in Albany? Why did they not serve the full sentence?
5. What was the Freedom Ride? What were the results?
6. Who was Rosa Parks? What was her connection to the Montgomery Bus Boycott?
7. What occurred in Greensboro, North Carolina, in 1960? How did King become involved?
8. Why did activists see Albany as a good place to fight racial inequality?
9. Why did Kennedy refuse to meet with King? How did the Kennedy Administration feel about the planned march in Washington?
10. Why did the protests in Birmingham not get off to the start that King wanted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between King and Abernathy. Compare and contrast the men and their ideas about the Civil Rights Movement. Did any tensions exist between the men? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What personal challenges did King face during the movement? How was the FBI involved in this? Do you think King's personal struggles influenced his leadership? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What obstacles and challenges did King and the movement face in achieving their goals? How did they handle these challenges? Would you have done anything differently? Give specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)