|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. King's sentence was suspended on what condition?
2. Who was discovered to have been sent to Montgomery by a New York organization?
3. Who was chosen as the organizational president?
4. What magazine did King's picture appear on in 1957?
5. The first federal Civil Rights Act did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the city officials in Albany respond to the protests and boycotts?
2. What changes did King make in his life?
3. How did the city of Montgomery react to the bus boycott?
4. What racial discrimination did King face at Crozer?
5. What occurred in Greensboro, North Carolina, in 1960? How did King become involved?
6. What was the Montgomery Improvement Association? What were its aims?
7. Why was there a rivalry between SNCC and NAACP? Describe how this affected the actions of the groups.
8. What was Wilkins concerned about when King met with him?
9. What did the white merchants do in Birmingham after the protests began?
10. What happened at Birmingham's Bethel Baptist Church? What did King do about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did local cities and towns handle the demonstrations and boycotts by the Civil Rights Movement? What actions did they take? Do you think cities should have reacted the way that they did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What was the March on Washington? What were the aims of this demonstration? What famous aspect of the Civil Rights Movement occurred during this demonstration? Was the march a success? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why were the FBI investigating King? How did the FBI investigate King? How did King feel about this? What effect did the investigation have on King and the movement?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)