|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Martin Luther King, Jr. was the pastor of what church?
2. What happened on January 30, 1956?
3. The four major Civil Rights organizations joined together to create what organization?
4. Who was asked to vacate her seat on a city bus for a white passenger?
5. Which college did King attend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the March on Washington?
2. What happened to King in New York?
3. Why did Kennedy refuse to meet with King? How did the Kennedy Administration feel about the planned march in Washington?
4. Why was there a rivalry between SNCC and NAACP? Describe how this affected the actions of the groups.
5. What was the first meeting like about the bus boycott? Why was it like this?
6. What was the Freedom Ride? What were the results?
7. What were the aims of the demonstrations in Birmingham?
8. What did the white merchants do in Birmingham after the protests began?
9. Who was Stanley Levison? Why was the Kennedy campaign growing more concerned about King?
10. How many rallies did King announce for the voter registration? What was the outcome of these rallies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Martin Luther King, Jr.? What was his background? How did he become involved in the Civil Rights Movement? What did King contribute to the movement?
Essay Topic 2
What was the Montgomery Bus Boycott? How did the boycott start? How did city officials react? Was the boycott successful?
Essay Topic 3
What was Bloody Sunday? What happened during this demonstration? How did King become involved in the situation? What did King and the others plan and how did this turn out?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)