|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of the demands that MIA made of the city?
2. Why did negotiations fail with the city officials?
3. At the meeting with Kennedy, the President told King to distance himself from whom?
4. Where did King hold a prayer-in?
5. On February 1, 1960, how many students staged a sit-in at a lunch counter in Greensboro?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Martin Luther King, Jr.'s background like? What was his family like?
2. What happened at Birmingham's Bethel Baptist Church? What did King do about this?
3. What was King accused of when he returned to Atlanta from North Carolina? How did he and his supporters react?
4. What changes did King make in his life?
5. What did John and Robert Kennedy do for King? How did this come about?
6. What were the aims of the demonstrations in Birmingham?
7. What was the Montgomery Improvement Association? What were its aims?
8. What was the first meeting like about the bus boycott? Why was it like this?
9. What did Connor do to shop the marchers in Birmingham? How did the marchers respond?
10. Why did activists see Albany as a good place to fight racial inequality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did local cities and towns handle the demonstrations and boycotts by the Civil Rights Movement? What actions did they take? Do you think cities should have reacted the way that they did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What was the SCLC? How did this organization begin? What role did King play in this movement? How did the movement influence the Civil Rights Movement?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Montgomery Bus Boycott? How did the boycott start? How did city officials react? Was the boycott successful?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)