|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In February 1959, King and his wife traveled to see sites made famous by whom?
2. What magazine did King's picture appear on in 1957?
3. The white merchants resisted what aim?
4. What did Connor use on the protesters?
5. At the meeting with Kennedy, the President told King to distance himself from whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Connor do to shop the marchers in Birmingham? How did the marchers respond?
2. What was the Montgomery Improvement Association? What were its aims?
3. How did the city officials in Albany respond to the protests and boycotts?
4. What happened at Birmingham's Bethel Baptist Church? What did King do about this?
5. What happened in King and Abernathy's trial in Albany? Why did they not serve the full sentence?
6. Why did activists see Albany as a good place to fight racial inequality?
7. What happened during King's trial? How did King feel about this?
8. What did John and Robert Kennedy do for King? How did this come about?
9. What was the Crusade for Citizenship? Who was not happy about this?
10. Why was there a rivalry between SNCC and NAACP? Describe how this affected the actions of the groups.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the SCLC? How did this organization begin? What role did King play in this movement? How did the movement influence the Civil Rights Movement?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between King and Abernathy. Compare and contrast the men and their ideas about the Civil Rights Movement. Did any tensions exist between the men? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What was the second March on Washington called? How was King's focus shifting by the time of this demonstration? Why do you think this shift was occurring?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)