|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization removed King from office?
2. On February 1, 1960, how many students staged a sit-in at a lunch counter in Greensboro?
3. King announced planned protests outside of what political event(s)?
4. What was the turnout like at the March to Washington?
5. Who filed a federal court case that would challenge bus segregation head-on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes did King make in his life?
2. Who was Rosa Parks? What was her connection to the Montgomery Bus Boycott?
3. Why was there a rivalry between SNCC and NAACP? Describe how this affected the actions of the groups.
4. Why did activists see Albany as a good place to fight racial inequality?
5. What occurred in Greensboro, North Carolina, in 1960? How did King become involved?
6. What did the white merchants do in Birmingham after the protests began?
7. Why was King sentenced to four months in jail?
8. What racial discrimination did King face at Crozer?
9. In August, King was arrested. Why was he arrested? What effects did the arrest have?
10. What was Wilkins concerned about when King met with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did local cities and towns handle the demonstrations and boycotts by the Civil Rights Movement? What actions did they take? Do you think cities should have reacted the way that they did? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who was Martin Luther King, Jr.? What was his background? How did he become involved in the Civil Rights Movement? What did King contribute to the movement?
Essay Topic 3
What obstacles and challenges did King and the movement face in achieving their goals? How did they handle these challenges? Would you have done anything differently? Give specific examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)