|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert Kennedy got a federal injunction against which group to keep them from harassing the bus riders?
2. What was left on King's front porch in January, 1957?
3. How many protesters were arrested during the first day of the Birmingham protests?
4. What did Connor use on the protesters?
5. What organization was formed in Albany to fight racism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the protests in Birmingham not get off to the start that King wanted?
2. How did the city of Montgomery react to the bus boycott?
3. What happened at Birmingham's Bethel Baptist Church? What did King do about this?
4. Why did activists see Albany as a good place to fight racial inequality?
5. What was Wilkins concerned about when King met with him?
6. In August, King was arrested. Why was he arrested? What effects did the arrest have?
7. What occurred in Greensboro, North Carolina, in 1960? How did King become involved?
8. What was King accused of when he returned to Atlanta from North Carolina? How did he and his supporters react?
9. What happened to King in New York?
10. What were the aims of the demonstrations in Birmingham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the tensions that existed in the Civil Rights Movement. This may include tensions between organizations and between people. Why do you think these tensions existed? How were they handled? Would you have done anything differently?
Essay Topic 2
Why were the FBI investigating King? How did the FBI investigate King? How did King feel about this? What effect did the investigation have on King and the movement?
Essay Topic 3
What personal challenges did King face during the movement? How was the FBI involved in this? Do you think King's personal struggles influenced his leadership? Why or why not?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)