|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many protesters were arrested during the first day of the Birmingham protests?
2. Segregation on the city buses officially ended when?
3. Which university had the front doors blocked to keep several black students from registering?
4. In what state was the governor fighting integration of a high school?
5. What magazine did King's picture appear on in 1957?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurred in Greensboro, North Carolina, in 1960? How did King become involved?
2. Why was there a rivalry between SNCC and NAACP? Describe how this affected the actions of the groups.
3. What happened during King's trial? How did King feel about this?
4. Why did the protests in Birmingham not get off to the start that King wanted?
5. What happened in King and Abernathy's trial in Albany? Why did they not serve the full sentence?
6. How many rallies did King announce for the voter registration? What was the outcome of these rallies?
7. What was the Freedom Ride? What were the results?
8. What was the Montgomery Improvement Association? What were its aims?
9. What happened to King in New York?
10. What happened at Birmingham's Bethel Baptist Church? What did King do about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Civil Rights Movement? What goals did the movement have? Was the movement successful in reaching these goals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What was SNCC? How did this organization differ from some of the other civil rights organizations involved in the movement? What was the role of SNCC in the movement? What activities did the organization use?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Martin Luther King, Jr.? What was his background? How did he become involved in the Civil Rights Movement? What did King contribute to the movement?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)