|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many protesters were arrested during the first day of the Birmingham protests?
2. Who rebuked King's attempt to organize a day of mourning?
3. In February 1959, King and his wife traveled to see sites made famous by whom?
4. King announced planned protests outside of what political event(s)?
5. The white merchants resisted what aim?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the city officials in Albany respond to the protests and boycotts?
2. Why did the protests in Birmingham not get off to the start that King wanted?
3. In August, King was arrested. Why was he arrested? What effects did the arrest have?
4. What did Connor do to shop the marchers in Birmingham? How did the marchers respond?
5. Why was there a rivalry between SNCC and NAACP? Describe how this affected the actions of the groups.
6. What did John and Robert Kennedy do for King? How did this come about?
7. What occurred in Greensboro, North Carolina, in 1960? How did King become involved?
8. What were the aims of the demonstrations in Birmingham?
9. Why was King sentenced to four months in jail?
10. What was King accused of when he returned to Atlanta from North Carolina? How did he and his supporters react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the Freedom Ride? How did this demonstration begin? What happened during the demonstration? Why do you think these events happened? Was the demonstration a success? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How did King's focus shift toward the end of his life? Who did he want to include in the movement? Why? How did others feel about this shift in focus?
Essay Topic 3
Who was Martin Luther King, Jr.? What was his background? How did he become involved in the Civil Rights Movement? What did King contribute to the movement?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)