|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What SCLC program was to reach out more readily to the public?
2. What happened on the night that the settlement with the city was reached?
3. The white merchants resisted what aim?
4. Who rebuked King's attempt to organize a day of mourning?
5. King wanted the Birmingham protests to start after what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Kennedy refuse to meet with King? How did the Kennedy Administration feel about the planned march in Washington?
2. What organizational and political struggles did King face after Kennedy's death?
3. Why was King sentenced to four months in jail?
4. What were the aims of the demonstrations in Birmingham?
5. What happened to King in New York?
6. How did King feel about the war in Vietnam? How did he become involved in the debate over the war? What reaction did people have to this?
7. What was Bloody Sunday? Describe this event.
8. What was the March on Washington?
9. What did King and the SCLC do in Chicago that caused an uproar in the press? Why did they do this?
10. Why did the SCLC and King become interested in Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was The Meredith March? Who started this march? What happened during the march? What happened after the march resumed? What obstacles did the marchers face?
Essay Topic 2
How did King's focus shift toward the end of his life? Who did he want to include in the movement? Why? How did others feel about this shift in focus?
Essay Topic 3
What was the Montgomery Bus Boycott? How did this protest begin? What influence did the boycott have on the Civil Rights Movement? Was the boycott successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,464 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)