|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was there an uproar in the Chicago press about King?
(a) A SNCC demonstration shut down the downtown area.
(b) He attended a communist meeting.
(c) The SCLC seized a building.
(d) His affairs were revealed.
2. James Meredith announced his intention to walk from where to where?
(a) Memphis to Jackson.
(b) Biloxi to Washington DC.
(c) Chicago to Atlanta.
(d) New Orleans to Boston.
3. What were the marchers attacked with in Canton?
(b) Tear gas.
(c) Machine guns.
(d) Police dogs.
4. What did Meredith want to encourage with this walk?
(a) Ending bus segregation.
(b) The war in Vietnam.
(c) Black voter turnout.
(d) Black poverty.
5. Shortly after the March on Washington, racial tensions heated up in which city?
6. Which SNCC leader presented a Proposal for Action which would develop an army of sorts?
(a) John Lewis.
(b) Bob Moses.
(c) Diane Bevel.
(d) Ella Baker.
7. The Democratic Convention took place in which city?
(a) Atlantic City.
(c) St. Louis.
8. CCCO staged a march that ended in how many arrests?
9. What caused King to fall into a depression?
(a) Evers' assassination.
(b) The lack of progress in Albany.
(c) The violence in Birmingham.
(d) Kennedy's assassination.
10. King learned of whose death as he left for a fundraising trip?
(a) Ralph Abernathy.
(b) Malcolm X.
(c) Rosa Parks.
(d) President Johnson.
11. King's advisers were concerned when King decided to do what?
(a) Stage a hunger strike in jail.
(b) Go public with his affairs.
(c) Join an anti-war group's protest.
(d) Move to Africa.
12. What was King's biggest concern about the murder?
(a) SNCC would fall into a decline.
(b) The escalating violence against Civil Rights advocates.
(c) That the culprit would not be caught.
(d) The voter registration bill would not pass.
13. Where did the Meredith March end?
14. Who urged King to run for president?
(a) Dr. Spock.
(b) Lyndon B. Johnson.
(c) Nelson Mandela.
(d) Robert Kennedy.
15. Which city did King want to focus attention on in the North?
Short Answer Questions
1. Demonstrations began in which state to test the compliance of the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
2. In October, the federal Office of Education stopped funding to which city's schools because of segregation?
3. Riots broke out in which cities?
4. A judge ordered that registrars had to begin accepting how many applications per day?
5. Where did the marchers attempt to camp, but were told to move on?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)