|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. King's vacation to Puerto Rico was interrupted by news of what event?
(a) The Watts Riots.
(b) Kennedy's assassination.
(c) The end of the Vietnam War.
(d) The Moon landing.
2. What compromise in Selma was King criticized for?
(a) Turning around and returning to Brown Chapel.
(b) Stopping the march until a settlement could be reached.
(c) Going on to Edmund Pettus Bridge.
(d) Not attending the march to the bridge.
3. King taped the list of demands to a door where?
(a) A White Church.
(b) Public Library.
(c) Police Headquarters.
(d) City Hall.
4. What illnesses did King suffer from in the summer of 1965?
(a) Exhaustion and strep throat.
(b) Exhaustion and influenza.
(c) Exhaustion and bronchitis.
(d) Exhaustion and kidney stones.
5. James Meredith announced his intention to walk from where to where?
(a) New Orleans to Boston.
(b) Chicago to Atlanta.
(c) Memphis to Jackson.
(d) Biloxi to Washington DC.
6. Demonstrations began in which state to test the compliance of the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
7. What did the package delivered to the King home contain?
(a) A bomb.
(b) Photos of King at a communist meeting.
(c) A letter from King to Stalin.
(d) Recording from FBI wiretaps.
8. King learned of whose death as he left for a fundraising trip?
(a) Rosa Parks.
(b) Ralph Abernathy.
(c) President Johnson.
(d) Malcolm X.
9. A picture appeared in national newspapers showing what, which spread word of the violence in Selma?
(a) The sheriff using a billyclub on an older black woman.
(b) Police dogs attacking a group of activists.
(c) The ruins of a bombed black church.
(d) A police officer beating a black child.
10. At the SCLC convention, King suggested which city as the next one for protests?
(d) New Orleans.
11. In Selma, King was suffering from what?
(a) Chicken pox.
12. A judge ordered that registrars had to begin accepting how many applications per day?
13. King felt that "black power" had what implication?
(a) Black suffrage.
(b) Black violence.
(c) Black cooperation.
(d) Black separation.
14. King demanded that Birmingham hire how many black police officers?
15. Shortly after the March on Washington, racial tensions heated up in which city?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many girls were killed in the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church bombing?
2. In which city did the marchers first encounter hostility?
3. Who released a statement supporting the SCLC's work in Selma?
4. What was the main source of racial trouble in Chicago?
5. Where did King and the potential voters refuse to vacate the sidewalk?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)