|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was there an uproar in the Chicago press about King?
(a) His affairs were revealed.
(b) The SCLC seized a building.
(c) He attended a communist meeting.
(d) A SNCC demonstration shut down the downtown area.
2. How many girls were killed in the Sixteenth Street Baptist Church bombing?
3. Bevel convinced King that the focus in Chicago should shift from segregation to what?
(a) Welfare in the black neighborhoods.
(b) Economic disadvantages of the black community.
(c) Sexism in the city offices.
(d) Hiring practices.
4. What was added to the activities in Chicago?
(a) A march to Detroit.
(b) Voter registration.
(c) Speeches on equality.
(d) Boycott of downtown stores.
5. The FBI observed meetings between King and whom?
6. Where did the marchers return to in order to have a meeting to outline the march?
(b) St. Louis.
7. King blamed the riots on what cause?
(a) The demonstrations in Georgia.
(b) The failure of leaders to meet with movement organizations in these cities.
(c) The Feminist Movement.
(d) Taking money from social programs for the war.
8. Which city did King want to focus attention on in the North?
9. Why was King concerned about the direction of SNCC?
(a) It seemed to be declining.
(b) It seemed to be becoming more violent.
(c) It seemed to be backing away from conflicts.
(d) It seemed to be compromising too much on racial issues.
10. Riots broke out in which cities?
(a) Newark and Detroit.
(b) Omaha and New Orleans.
(c) Seattle and Madison.
(d) Dallas and San Diego.
11. What were the marchers attacked with in Canton?
(a) Machine guns.
(b) Police dogs.
(d) Tear gas.
12. Where did the Meredith March end?
13. Where did King go after the Meredith March?
(d) St. Augustine.
14. What tragedy happened before the march to Montgomery?
(a) Abernathy was stabbed by a white woman.
(b) A volunteer was killed by KKK members.
(c) The King house was bombed.
(d) Congress voted down the Civil Rights Act.
15. James Meredith announced his intention to walk from where to where?
(a) Biloxi to Washington DC.
(b) Chicago to Atlanta.
(c) New Orleans to Boston.
(d) Memphis to Jackson.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of SNCC's leaders was arrested in Atlanta on what charge?
2. The CCCO was based in which city?
3. Who used the term "black power" for the first time in a public form?
4. King abandoned a writing campaign about peace in which country?
5. Demonstrations began in which state to test the compliance of the Civil Rights Act of 1964?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)