|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was to lead the march in Selma?
(b) Malcolm X.
2. What did the highway patrol want the marchers do to?
(a) Apologize for the march.
(b) Turn violent so they could be arrested.
(c) Get off the pavement.
(d) Turn around and go back.
3. Shortly after the March on Washington, racial tensions heated up in which city?
4. Where did King and the potential voters refuse to vacate the sidewalk?
(a) The police station.
(b) The hospital.
(c) The courthouse.
(d) The chamber of commerce.
5. King felt that "black power" had what implication?
(a) Black separation.
(b) Black violence.
(c) Black cooperation.
(d) Black suffrage.
6. Who approved several wiretaps on King's personal phone lines?
(a) J. Edgar Hoover.
(b) Ralph Abernathy.
(c) Robert Kennedy.
(d) Gerald Ford.
7. Where did King go after the Meredith March?
(b) St. Augustine.
8. How did King feel about the agreement in Chicago?
9. Why was there an uproar in the Chicago press about King?
(a) His affairs were revealed.
(b) A SNCC demonstration shut down the downtown area.
(c) He attended a communist meeting.
(d) The SCLC seized a building.
10. Violence broke out in what city as activists tried to desegregate local schools?
(c) New Orleans.
11. Who used the term "black power" for the first time in a public form?
(a) Stokley Carmichael.
(b) Martin Luther King, Jr.
(c) Malcolm X.
(d) Ralph Abernathy.
12. The grand jury in St. Augustine said they would agree to form a biracial committee after the Civil Rights activists did what?
(a) King and other outside leaders left town.
(b) SNCC ceased its demonstrations.
(c) The President told them to.
(d) The swim-ins stop.
13. Which SNCC leader presented a Proposal for Action which would develop an army of sorts?
(a) Diane Bevel.
(b) John Lewis.
(c) Ella Baker.
(d) Bob Moses.
14. The Democratic Convention took place in which city?
(a) Atlantic City.
(c) St. Louis.
15. Where was some of the worst police violence seen through 1964?
Short Answer Questions
1. The mayor of Chicago announced a plan to clean up what?
2. Where did the Meredith March end?
3. Who heckled King during his speech?
4. King learned of whose death as he left for a fundraising trip?
5. Who urged King to run for president?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)