|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What habit do some of the Boatwright women show when they're nervous?
2. What kinds of fish did the uncles catch at Aunt Raylene's place near the river?
3. When Bone leaves home against her mother's instructions in Chapter 18, where does she go?
4. Tears start running down Bone's face soon after she hears what song by Kitty Wells?
5. After Mama gets Bone to the car, what does she do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bone says that "things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies." What are the results when the relatives learn of Bone's physical abuse? Ultimately, is it a good or bad thing? If it had not happened, would Bone have been raped or not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Granny is a frequent presence early in the book, but she is hardly heard from in the last half of the book. Why do you believe the author chooses to do this? What is Granny's purpose in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Hunger is another strong feeling evident in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Compare and contrast Bone's physical hunger when the family has no food with the angry, rage-filled hunger she feels at the Woolworth's and at the Waddell's.
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)