Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Shannon Pearl reach Bone on the telephone?
2. What is the only story the children act out that they use Bone's cap for?
3. Where does Mama move herself and the girls after her family discovers that Bone has been abused by Glen?
4. After Bone refuses to return home, she compares Glen's eyes to what?
5. Aunt Alma's feet are "resting on a little pile of chopped black slats." What are the black slats?
Bone asks her mother if she looks like her father who she doesn't have contact with. Mama refuses to answer. According to Bone, what she really wants from her mother is her story, "the place where she had made herself different from all her brothers and sisters and shut her mouth on her life." Explain what Bone means by this statement.
Read the quote by James Baldwin at the beginning of the book. Discuss in detail how this applies to "Bastard Out of Carolina."
Dorothy Allison makes several references to looking like a Boatwright. Bone watches for this and looks for the Boatwright birthright in both her appearance and her behavior as she tries to figure out who she is. Find both positive and negative examples of what being a Boatwright means. By the end of the book, is Bone glad she's a Boatwright?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)