|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only story the children act out that they use Bone's cap for?
2. Where does Bone and Reese sleep the night that her uncles beat Glen?
3. When Sheriff Cole asks Bone who did this to her, what does she say?
4. Aunt Raylene tells Bone that she's going to be tall. In Chapter 14, Bone doesn't want to be tall, she wants to be what?
5. What does Aunt Raylene bring when she visits Mama and the girls after they move away from Glen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bone says that "things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies." What are the results when the relatives learn of Bone's physical abuse? Ultimately, is it a good or bad thing? If it had not happened, would Bone have been raped or not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Dorothy Allison makes several references to looking like a Boatwright. Bone watches for this and looks for the Boatwright birthright in both her appearance and her behavior as she tries to figure out who she is. Find both positive and negative examples of what being a Boatwright means. By the end of the book, is Bone glad she's a Boatwright?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the five Boatwright sisters: Anney, Raylene, Alma, Carr, and Ruth. Who is the most different and why? Describe the relationship between the five women as children and as adults.
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)