|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aunt Alma's feet are "resting on a little pile of chopped black slats." What are the black slats?
2. After Mama gets Bone to the car, what does she do?
3. What makes Aunt Ruth feel like she was worth something?
4. Uncle Earle brings something to Aunt Raylene's house to help make Bone feel better. What is it?
5. What does Aunt Raylene bring when she visits Mama and the girls after they move away from Glen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Bone and Shannon Pearl go through periods where they tell horrific tales fulls of violence. Compare and contrast the stories that each girl tells and their reasons for creating these stories.
Essay Topic 2
Mama makes many decisions in the book--marrying Glen, leaving him, going back to him, and staying with him in the end. Describe the thoughts she probably had and what her choices are. Choose one of her major decisions and write a supportive argument for what she decides.
Essay Topic 3
Dorothy Allison makes several references to looking like a Boatwright. Bone watches for this and looks for the Boatwright birthright in both her appearance and her behavior as she tries to figure out who she is. Find both positive and negative examples of what being a Boatwright means. By the end of the book, is Bone glad she's a Boatwright?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)