|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Bone want to see at the hospital that doesn't come?
2. What happens after Deedee refuses to go to the funeral?
3. Bone wants Glen to be a father like the father in what book?
4. Where is Uncle Earle in Chapter 13?
5. Where does Bone and Reese sleep the night that her uncles beat Glen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Bone and her mother have an obsession about being thought of or treated as "trash." What does being trash mean to each of them? Find three instances each of Mama and Bone's concern over their social status.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is an important component in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Choose either the love knot or the hook, and describe its symbolism in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Bone and Reese. Why does Glen choose to abuse Bone, but not Reese? With Bone out of the picture at the end of the book, do you think Glen will change? Will he start abusing Reese?
This section contains 233 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)