|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Mama and Bone put Aunt Alma to bed, Mama asks Bone what she thinks about all the time. How does Bone answer?
2. What leads to Alma's breakdown?
3. What does Uncle Earle have hidden that he shows Bone?
4. What game does Bone make up after a fight with the boy cousins?
5. What does Bone try to defend herself with against Glen in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As in "Bastard Out of Carolina," keeping secrets contributes in the continuation of abuse. Explain why people--both adults and children--keep abuse a secret. In your opinion, what is the best time for Bone to expose the secret and why?
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is an important component in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Choose either the love knot or the hook, and describe its symbolism in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Bone and Reese. Why does Glen choose to abuse Bone, but not Reese? With Bone out of the picture at the end of the book, do you think Glen will change? Will he start abusing Reese?
This section contains 255 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)