|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only story the children act out that they use Bone's cap for?
2. What is Aunt Alma's favorite newspaper clip about the family?
3. According to her mother, who loves babies and is a friend to the less fortunate?
4. Who says that Alma has "gone crazy as a milk cow"?
5. When Glen starts having trouble with his father and at work, where does Mama send the girls in the afternoons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the five Boatwright sisters: Anney, Raylene, Alma, Carr, and Ruth. Who is the most different and why? Describe the relationship between the five women as children and as adults.
Essay Topic 2
As in "Bastard Out of Carolina," keeping secrets contributes in the continuation of abuse. Explain why people--both adults and children--keep abuse a secret. In your opinion, what is the best time for Bone to expose the secret and why?
Essay Topic 3
Granny is a frequent presence early in the book, but she is hardly heard from in the last half of the book. Why do you believe the author chooses to do this? What is Granny's purpose in the book?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)