|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Shannon Pearl reach Bone on the telephone?
2. What is the only story the children act out that they use Bone's cap for?
3. Where does Mama move herself and the girls after her family discovers that Bone has been abused by Glen?
4. After Bone refuses to return home, she compares Glen's eyes to what?
5. Aunt Alma's feet are "resting on a little pile of chopped black slats." What are the black slats?
Essay Topic 1
Fantasy becomes an important part Bone's life. Choose three uses of fantasy, and describe how they help Bone cope with her situation.
Essay Topic 2
Bone asks her mother if she looks like her father who she doesn't have contact with. Mama refuses to answer. According to Bone, what she really wants from her mother is her story, "the place where she had made herself different from all her brothers and sisters and shut her mouth on her life." Explain what Bone means by this statement.
Essay Topic 3
Mama makes many decisions in the book--marrying Glen, leaving him, going back to him, and staying with him in the end. Describe the thoughts she probably had and what her choices are. Choose one of her major decisions and write a supportive argument for what she decides.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)