|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bone take with her to break into Woolworth's?
2. Uncle Earle brings something to Aunt Raylene's house to help make Bone feel better. What is it?
3. Where is Uncle Earle in Chapter 13?
4. What makes Aunt Ruth feel like she was worth something?
5. What does Bone steal from the Woolworth's store in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bone says that "things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies." What are the results when the relatives learn of Bone's physical abuse? Ultimately, is it a good or bad thing? If it had not happened, would Bone have been raped or not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Hunger is another strong feeling evident in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Compare and contrast Bone's physical hunger when the family has no food with the angry, rage-filled hunger she feels at the Woolworth's and at the Waddell's.
Essay Topic 3
Fantasy becomes an important part Bone's life. Choose three uses of fantasy, and describe how they help Bone cope with her situation.
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)