|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Aunt Alma's feet are "resting on a little pile of chopped black slats." What are the black slats?
2. Bone wants Glen to be a father like the father in what book?
3. What happens after Deedee refuses to go to the funeral?
4. Who does Bone take with her to break into Woolworth's?
5. Who runs off and worked for the carnival when they are young?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mama makes many decisions in the book--marrying Glen, leaving him, going back to him, and staying with him in the end. Describe the thoughts she probably had and what her choices are. Choose one of her major decisions and write a supportive argument for what she decides.
Essay Topic 2
Hunger is another strong feeling evident in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Compare and contrast Bone's physical hunger when the family has no food with the angry, rage-filled hunger she feels at the Woolworth's and at the Waddell's.
Essay Topic 3
As in "Bastard Out of Carolina," keeping secrets contributes in the continuation of abuse. Explain why people--both adults and children--keep abuse a secret. In your opinion, what is the best time for Bone to expose the secret and why?
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)