|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Mama and Bone put Aunt Alma to bed, Mama asks Bone what she thinks about all the time. How does Bone answer?
2. Mama is silent and Reese is angry in Chapter 18. Who does Bone blame for this?
3. What does Bone try to defend herself with against Glen in Chapter 20?
4. Who questions Bone about what she sees in Chapter 13?
5. Where does Mama move herself and the girls after her family discovers that Bone has been abused by Glen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing can be an effective tool in hinting to the reader. This literary tool is used in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Find 3 examples of foreshadowing and describe how they indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 2
Granny is a frequent presence early in the book, but she is hardly heard from in the last half of the book. Why do you believe the author chooses to do this? What is Granny's purpose in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the five Boatwright sisters: Anney, Raylene, Alma, Carr, and Ruth. Who is the most different and why? Describe the relationship between the five women as children and as adults.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)