|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bone think is the better looking of her male cousins?
2. While Bone is working for her aunt, where does Reese spend her afternoons?
3. What does Bone try to defend herself with against Glen in Chapter 20?
4. Bone thinks of the sheriff as what?
5. What does Uncle Earle have hidden that he shows Bone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Bone being illegitimate? Would it make any difference for any of the main characters if the state had not stamped that information on Bone's birth certificate? Explain the significance of Mama leaving Bone with the unstamped birth certificate as her parting gift.
Essay Topic 2
Dorothy Allison makes several references to looking like a Boatwright. Bone watches for this and looks for the Boatwright birthright in both her appearance and her behavior as she tries to figure out who she is. Find both positive and negative examples of what being a Boatwright means. By the end of the book, is Bone glad she's a Boatwright?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing can be an effective tool in hinting to the reader. This literary tool is used in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Find 3 examples of foreshadowing and describe how they indicate events to come.
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)