|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sheriff Cole asks Bone who did this to her, what does she say?
2. How old is Bone when she is raped?
3. What leads to Alma's breakdown?
4. At the end of the book, where does Bone think Mama will move to?
5. Who did Bone want to see at the hospital that doesn't come?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is an important component in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Choose either the love knot or the hook, and describe its symbolism in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Granny is a frequent presence early in the book, but she is hardly heard from in the last half of the book. Why do you believe the author chooses to do this? What is Granny's purpose in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Both Bone and her mother have an obsession about being thought of or treated as "trash." What does being trash mean to each of them? Find three instances each of Mama and Bone's concern over their social status.
This section contains 217 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)