|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kinds of fish did the uncles catch at Aunt Raylene's place near the river?
2. What leads to Alma's breakdown?
3. What happens after Deedee refuses to go to the funeral?
4. What is Granny busy with when Mama was growing up?
5. What does Bone steal from the Woolworth's store in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dorothy Allison makes several references to looking like a Boatwright. Bone watches for this and looks for the Boatwright birthright in both her appearance and her behavior as she tries to figure out who she is. Find both positive and negative examples of what being a Boatwright means. By the end of the book, is Bone glad she's a Boatwright?
Essay Topic 2
When Ruth dies, Mama cries that Ruth's worth was measured by having babies and that Mama's love was never enough for Ruth. Is Bone's love enough for Mama? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing can be an effective tool in hinting to the reader. This literary tool is used in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Find 3 examples of foreshadowing and describe how they indicate events to come.
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)