|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Boatwright relative busts in on Bone and the sheriff without permission?
2. Bone wants Glen to be a father like the father in what book?
3. Who does Deedee say she's seen three times?
4. Why does Bone apologize to Mama at the end of Chapter 17?
5. Who drives around at night, looking for Glen in order to kill him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hunger is another strong feeling evident in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Compare and contrast Bone's physical hunger when the family has no food with the angry, rage-filled hunger she feels at the Woolworth's and at the Waddell's.
Essay Topic 2
The book often mentions Glen's empty face or eyes. Explain what this means. Connect this to Glen's need to turn his face away from the camera when family pictures are being taken.
Essay Topic 3
Bone asks her mother if she looks like her father who she doesn't have contact with. Mama refuses to answer. According to Bone, what she really wants from her mother is her story, "the place where she had made herself different from all her brothers and sisters and shut her mouth on her life." Explain what Bone means by this statement.
This section contains 253 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)