|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Everyone who is expected eventually arrives for the funeral except for whom?
2. Who is pregnant in Chapter 16?
3. What does Bone try to defend herself with against Glen in Chapter 20?
4. Who does Deedee say she's seen three times?
5. In Chapter 17, what happens when Bone snaps at Glen that she didn't hear him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Granny is a frequent presence early in the book, but she is hardly heard from in the last half of the book. Why do you believe the author chooses to do this? What is Granny's purpose in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the five Boatwright sisters: Anney, Raylene, Alma, Carr, and Ruth. Who is the most different and why? Describe the relationship between the five women as children and as adults.
Essay Topic 3
As in "Bastard Out of Carolina," keeping secrets contributes in the continuation of abuse. Explain why people--both adults and children--keep abuse a secret. In your opinion, what is the best time for Bone to expose the secret and why?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)