|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Glen starts having trouble with his father and at work, where does Mama send the girls in the afternoons?
2. Aunt Raylene tells Bone that she's going to be tall. In Chapter 14, Bone doesn't want to be tall, she wants to be what?
3. Who does Deedee say she's seen three times?
4. What is the only story the children act out that they use Bone's cap for?
5. Mama is silent and Reese is angry in Chapter 18. Who does Bone blame for this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Bone and Reese. Why does Glen choose to abuse Bone, but not Reese? With Bone out of the picture at the end of the book, do you think Glen will change? Will he start abusing Reese?
Essay Topic 2
Both Bone and her mother have an obsession about being thought of or treated as "trash." What does being trash mean to each of them? Find three instances each of Mama and Bone's concern over their social status.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing can be an effective tool in hinting to the reader. This literary tool is used in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Find 3 examples of foreshadowing and describe how they indicate events to come.
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)