|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Everyone who is expected eventually arrives for the funeral except for whom?
2. When Sheriff Cole asks Bone who did this to her, what does she say?
3. Tears start running down Bone's face soon after she hears what song by Kitty Wells?
4. Where does Mama move herself and the girls after her family discovers that Bone has been abused by Glen?
5. Bone thinks of the sheriff as what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As in "Bastard Out of Carolina," keeping secrets contributes in the continuation of abuse. Explain why people--both adults and children--keep abuse a secret. In your opinion, what is the best time for Bone to expose the secret and why?
Essay Topic 2
Both Bone and Shannon Pearl go through periods where they tell horrific tales fulls of violence. Compare and contrast the stories that each girl tells and their reasons for creating these stories.
Essay Topic 3
Read the quote by James Baldwin at the beginning of the book. Discuss in detail how this applies to "Bastard Out of Carolina."
This section contains 244 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)