|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sheriff Cole asks Bone who did this to her, what does she say?
2. After Mama and Bone put Aunt Alma to bed, Mama asks Bone what she thinks about all the time. How does Bone answer?
3. Who does Bone take with her to break into Woolworth's?
4. How old is Bone when she is raped?
5. What leads to Alma's breakdown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ruth dies, Mama cries that Ruth's worth was measured by having babies and that Mama's love was never enough for Ruth. Is Bone's love enough for Mama? Why or why not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Bone says that "things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies." What are the results when the relatives learn of Bone's physical abuse? Ultimately, is it a good or bad thing? If it had not happened, would Bone have been raped or not? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Symbolism is an important component in "Bastard Out of Carolina." Choose either the love knot or the hook, and describe its symbolism in the story.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)