|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One of Alma's children is named Annie, but her nickname is what?
2. In Chapter 8, Mama expresses concern over Bone being accident prone. What causes Bone's injuries?
(a) Being clumsy.
(b) Playing rough with her cousins.
(c) Physical abuse from Glen.
(d) Self abuse.
3. What preceded Glen talking badly about Boatwrights in Chapter 8?
(a) Glen and Uncle Earle had an argument.
(b) Granny called Glen silly.
(c) Uncle Earle gave Mama money.
(d) The Boatwright uncles made fun of Glen.
4. Who is Matthew Parsons?
(a) Mrs. Parsons' brother.
(b) Mrs. Parsons' husband.
(c) Mrs. Parsons' son.
(d) Mrs. Parsons' cousin.
5. From whose point of view is "Bastard Out of Carolina" told?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who throws Reese up in the air so high that it looks like she is going to fly?
2. What is one of the pretend meals that Bone and Reese make up?
3. What do the Waddell's call Bone and Reese?
4. What does Bone do in Chapter 9 that upsets Aunt Alma?
5. What does Bone dream of buying her mother after she became a famous singer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Glen chooses different types of houses than the Boatwright aunts. Which type of house does Bone seem to prefer and why?
2. Describe the changes in Reese in Chapter 12.
3. The first time Mama leaves Glen is for two weeks. What makes her decide to return?
4. Describe Shannon Pearl.
5. In Chapter 2, Mama tells Bone not to pay any attention to what Granny says because some women love their sons more than their daughters. What do you think the effect of this type of thinking is on female children?
6. In Chapter 8, Bone begins suffering many injuries at Glen's hands. Does it seem realistic that her mother wouldn't realize what is going on?
7. Why does Glen come to Alma's house?
8. In Chapter 6, Mama tells the girls about she and her siblings making up foods they would never have or wouldn't want. Why does she do this?
9. Describe the regrets that Bone has after Ruth dies.
10. Describe Sheriff Cole. Does he really care what happens to Bone?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)