|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who can't sleep past sunrise?
2. What does Bone like to listen to on the radio early in the morning?
(a) Sunrise Gospel Hour.
(b) The Carter Family Special.
(c) The Grand Ol' Opry.
(d) Rock and roll.
3. In Chapter 5, what about Glen makes Bone nervous?
(a) His smile.
(b) His hands.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His temper.
4. Where is Butch living in Chapter 7?
(d) New York.
5. Who is Reese's father?
(a) Earle Boatwright.
(b) Lyle Parsons.
(c) Glen Waddell.
(d) Travis Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mama in Chapter 7, how did she and Aunt Raylene earn money when they were girls?
2. What do the Waddell's call Bone and Reese?
3. What does Mama pack for the picnic?
4. What does Mama feed the girls when there is little food in the house?
5. In Chapter 7, who does Mama describe as "just bad all the way through"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, Mama tells Bone not to pay any attention to what Granny says because some women love their sons more than their daughters. What do you think the effect of this type of thinking is on female children?
2. Why does Ruth like being pregnant?
3. Bone and her family begin moving frequently in Chapter 5, never staying in one place very long. Why is this?
4. In trying to help Bone understand why her mother hasn't visited her, Aunt Raylene reveals something about herself that Bone didn't know. What is it?
5. Mama's family doesn't like Glen and don't want him to marry Mama. What are their reasons, and do you agree?
6. Do either the Waddells or the Boatwrights respect Glen?
7. Bone sees two different sides of Glen. Describe them.
8. Why is Bone climbing over the fence into the Pearl's backyard?
9. Glen's photograph tells a viewer little about him. Bone says his eyes are empty. What might this mean?
10. Aunt Ruth asks Bone if they can talk to each other, meaning she wonders if can they tell each other the truth. Do they?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)