|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Bone that Glen is "pure crazy where your mama's concerned"?
2. In Chapter 3, when people talk about Glen, what two things do they mention most often?
(a) His hands and temper.
(b) His height and his personality.
(c) His strength and how he loved Mama.
(d) His family and his arms.
3. What does Bone dream of buying her mother after she became a famous singer?
(a) The fanciest house in Greenville.
(b) A yellow Cadillac and a house on Henderson road.
(c) Her own diner.
(d) Beautiful clothes.
4. What does Boone spend her money earned from washing dishes on?
(a) Secondhand books.
(d) Soda and candy.
5. Who are Marvella and Maybelle?
(a) Mama's friends at the diner.
(b) Glen's sisters.
(c) The Eustis aunts.
6. Who does Bone try to save from "heathen ways"?
(b) Her uncles.
(c) Her aunts.
7. Who decides that 'illegitimate' should be stamped on Bone's birth certificate?
(a) The doctor.
(b) Hospital clerk.
(c) County office.
8. From whose point of view is "Bastard Out of Carolina" told?
9. What does Bone do in Chapter 9 that upsets Aunt Alma?
(a) Stays by herself.
(b) Sets fire to things.
(c) Beats up her younger cousins.
(d) Tells gruesome stories.
10. Where does Aunt Carr live?
11. What clothing does Bone beg from her aunts?
(a) Her cousin's jeans.
(b) Mama's dresses.
(c) T-shirts from Bone's uncles.
(d) Earle and Beau's old denim workshirts.
12. What causes Glen to sob in Chapter 4?
(a) He loses his job.
(b) Mama lost the baby and can't have more.
(c) An argument with his father.
(d) He is sorry about molesting Bone.
13. Who can't sleep past sunrise?
14. What states do the gospel circuit run from?
(a) South Carolina, Alabama, Georgia, Arkansas, Tennessee.
(b) North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama.
(c) West Virginia, Kentucky, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia.
(d) Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Alabama, South Carolina.
15. Who is Matthew Parsons?
(a) Mrs. Parsons' husband.
(b) Mrs. Parsons' cousin.
(c) Mrs. Parsons' brother.
(d) Mrs. Parsons' son.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mama go with Bone and Reese when they leave the hospital?
2. Who is Bone's favorite uncle?
3. Bone and Reese make fun of what in Chapter 5?
4. What was the first thing Mama did to Glen after he first hit Bone with a belt?
5. What is Bone doing before Glen takes her into the bathroom and whips her with a belt?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)