|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fake name does Brian give when he purchases codeine?
2. Where does Jim's basketball team go for the play-off series?
3. Who at school does Jim decide to steal from?
4. Who stands up for Pedro about the teasing from Herbie about his parents?
5. Who blows his cool in the locker room at half time in the game against Horace Mann?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jim's performance in the basketball game he plays in New Jersey.
2. Why does Jim feel he has to watch himself in the woods?
3. Why doesn't Jim like walking to gym class in Central Park?
4. How do both teams win the summer league championship game?
5. What does Jim say is the worst part of his addiction?
6. What prank does Mancole play on a neighbor?
7. Why does Jim think the Thanksgiving fast is a bad idea?
8. Why does Jim suspect his family receives the Catholic News?
9. Why does Jim say he and his friends are not really breaking into the park to steal basketballs?
10. Why is Chris's story about Willie's injury unlikely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does being an athlete help Jim fit in? How does a good reputation as an athlete create opportunities for Jim?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Jim's interactions with people of other cultures. How does he get along with them? What conflicts does he have? What type of language does he use to describe them?
Essay Topic 3
How is New York a hero for Jim? How might his life writing be different if he grew up in another place?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)