|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the old lady on the bus tell Jim will happen in a month?
2. What does the newspaper call Jim and his friends?
3. Where do Jim and his friends tell Danny's mom they got the basketballs they bring home?
4. Who does Jim offer a joint to in the winter of 1964?
5. Who do Willie and Jim look for on the beach in Long Beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim get out of saying confession in the winter of 1964?
2. Why does Jim feel Gums's family is being dramatic about him leaving for the Army?
3. Why does Jim say he and his friends are not really breaking into the park to steal basketballs?
4. In the winter of 1964, how does Jim try to prove he is not hooked onmarijuana?
5. How do Jim and his friends end up with the keys to the American Legion?
6. What does Jim claim he and his friends have mastered?
7. Why does Jim believe drug pushers always have a supply no matter how many busts are made?
8. According to Jim, how is the game "chickie" played?
9. What prank does Mancole play on a neighbor?
10. What does Jim say is the advantage of going to a private school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jim express his confidence over the course of the book? How does he show or hide his weakness?
Essay Topic 2
Why might basketball be the chosen sport for Jim? What factors make this a popular sport with boys in his community?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Jim unwilling to hustle at Yankee Stadium, when he hustles on the street? Discuss the skills he uses in both of these worlds.
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)