|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim's team play in the first game of the season?
2. Who do Willie and Jim look for on the beach in Long Beach?
3. What fake name does Brian give when he purchases codeine?
4. Why does someone run for Brother Kenneth during Billy's seizure?
5. Where does Jim have a summer job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the passersby responding to Freddie C., who is exposing himself, in the Bronx?
2. Compare Jim's basketball team to the team at Riverdale High.
3. Why is Chris's story about Willie's injury unlikely?
4. Why does Jim suspect his family receives the Catholic News?
5. Why does Lefty leave his players in the Bronx?
6. How does Jim react to seeing his friend Bobby Sachs's dead body?
7. Why does Jim run out of the theater during the movie?
8. Why does Jim say he and his friends are not really breaking into the park to steal basketballs?
9. What clues make Jim suspect the three gentlemen in the tavern are narcotics cops?
10. How do Jim and his friends end up with the keys to the American Legion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jim's interactions with people of other cultures. How does he get along with them? What conflicts does he have? What type of language does he use to describe them?
Essay Topic 2
How does being an athlete help Jim fit in? How does a good reputation as an athlete create opportunities for Jim?
Essay Topic 3
What might Jim's goals be? What is he doing to accomplish them?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)