|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What TV show do Willie and Jim make fun of at their party in the woods?
2. Where does Brother G. punish the student in class for cheating?
3. Where does Jim have a summer job?
4. How does the school nurse solve most ailments, according to Jim?
5. Why does Jim stay after school until 4:30 on the day of his friend's wake?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Chris's story about Willie's injury unlikely?
2. Why is Jimmy Mancole behaving strangely, after he and Jim knock on every door and check every street corner looking for drugs?
3. What does Jim claim he and his friends have mastered?
4. How do the students at Jim's school support the poor and hungry blacks in the south?
5. Why is Jim embarrassed during the game against St. Hilda's?
6. Why does Jim feel uneasy walking through Harlem with his friends?
7. Why does Jim run out of the theater during the movie?
8. Why does Jim settle for methadone when he wants dope?
9. Why doesn't Jim get paid for the car he and his friends steal?
10. Compare Jim's basketball team to the team at Riverdale High.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jim show his identity? How does his identity change over the course of his teen years?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jim want to return to public school? How is his Catholic school different than a public school? How is it similar?
Essay Topic 3
How is New York a hero for Jim? How might his life writing be different if he grew up in another place?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)