|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Boys' Club have a memorial service for?
2. Who blows his cool in the locker room at half time in the game against Horace Mann?
3. Who finds Jim's nickel bag of marijuana?
4. In the spring of 1964, who does Jim describe as a saint?
5. Who do Willie and Jim look for on the beach in Long Beach?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Jim's basketball team to the team at Riverdale High.
2. Why does Jim believe Sloppy Eddie and Willie Appleears are able to steal milk and bread from the Grand Union?
3. Why does Jim run out of the theater during the movie?
4. Why does Lefty leave his players in the Bronx?
5. Why does Jim say he and his friends are not really breaking into the park to steal basketballs?
6. Why does Jim feel uneasy walking through Harlem with his friends?
7. What event makes Jim wonder where his life is heading?
8. What does Jim say is the advantage of going to a private school?
9. Why is Jim embarrassed during the game against St. Hilda's?
10. Why does Jim get out of saying confession in the winter of 1964?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might basketball be the chosen sport for Jim? What factors make this a popular sport with boys in his community?
Essay Topic 2
How do priests and brothers show their power at Jim's school? How do the students interact with them?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jim become disillusioned with the peace movement? Why does he believe that leaders are not needed? What type of change does he suggest?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)