|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets upset when Jim answers questions in class with, "Yah," instead of, "Yes, sir?"
2. What does Jim say his eyes feel like when sniffing cleaning fluid?
3. What does Jim say Melody looks like?
4. Who does Jim eventually give a joint to in the winter of 1964?
5. What does Jim consume to make the trip to Long Island to see Fat Eddie bearable?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prank does Mancole play on a neighbor?
2. Why is Chris's story about Willie's injury unlikely?
3. What does Jim say is the worst part of his addiction?
4. Why does Lefty leave his players in the Bronx?
5. Compare Jim's basketball team to the team at Riverdale High.
6. Why does Jim call his abusive teacher "the fine Christian Brother"?
7. Describe the plan Jim's friends execute to deter cops from driving on the paths at the park.
8. What does Jim tell the principal's secretary when he calls in sick?
9. How do Jim and his friends end up with the keys to the American Legion?
10. Why does Jim get out of saying confession in the winter of 1964?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why might basketball be the chosen sport for Jim? What factors make this a popular sport with boys in his community?
Essay Topic 2
How do adults positively influence the "characters" in the book? How do they negatively affect them?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jim's personality. Include characteristics that help him succeed in basketball as well as in his studies.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)