Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jim and his friends use to attack girls on the eve of Halloween?
2. When does Jim say his parents go to church?
3. Who do Willie and Jim look for on the beach in Long Beach?
4. What does Jim say Melody looks like?
5. What does Jim's gym class mainly do at Central Park?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the plan Jim's friends execute to deter cops from driving on the paths at the park.
2. Why does Jim say the train toward 137th St. suddenly smells like a cattle car?
3. According to Jim, how is the game "chickie" played?
4. Why is Jim banned for the year from the dorm at NYU?
5. Why does Jim think Melody, his blind date, is strange?
6. Why does Jim think the little girl he meets might drop out of her class?
7. Why isn't Jim going to tell anyone he was in a baby powder commercial?
8. Why does Jim feel uneasy walking through Harlem with his friends?
9. How does Jim's dad respond when he tells him how the government suppresses the proletariat?
10. What clues make Jim suspect the three gentlemen in the tavern are narcotics cops?
Essay Topic 1
How are teachers portrayed in the diaries? How is education portrayed? What feelings or experiences might explain Jim's fantasy of bringing a gun to school?
Essay Topic 2
How is Jim a loyal friend? What decisions does he make that show this quality?
Essay Topic 3
In the summer of 1965, what fuels Jim's fears about a bomb dropping on him? How does his location influence that fear? Might he feel differently if he was raised in a small town? Why or why not?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)