|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jim describe the guys in his new neighborhood?
2. In the fall of 1963, who is the neighbor taken away for mental health problems?
3. Where do Willie and Jim leave their pipe after their night of smoking and drinking?
4. Why does Jim stay after school until 4:30 on the day of his friend's wake?
5. What do Jim and his friends use to attack girls on the eve of Halloween?
Short Essay Questions
1. What behavior puzzles Jim about his rich classmates?
2. Describe the plan Jim's friends execute to deter cops from driving on the paths at the park.
3. Why does Jim predict a gang war soon?
4. Compare Jim's basketball team to the team at Riverdale High.
5. Why does Jim say the train toward 137th St. suddenly smells like a cattle car?
6. How does Jim's dad respond when he tells him how the government suppresses the proletariat?
7. Why doesn't Jim get paid for the car he and his friends steal?
8. Why does a woman on the bus in Long Beach think Jim is "a commie"?
9. What prank does Mancole play on a neighbor?
10. According to Jim, how is the game "chickie" played?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jim become disillusioned with the peace movement? Why does he believe that leaders are not needed? What type of change does he suggest?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jim show his identity? How does his identity change over the course of his teen years?
Essay Topic 3
How is Jim a loyal friend? What decisions does he make that show this quality?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)