|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim bring on the train uptown to break his boredom?
2. How does Jim know Steve Malone?
3. Who does Jim eventually give a joint to in the winter of 1964?
4. Who stops Jim in the bushes at Central Park?
5. How does Jim describe the guys in his new neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim call his abusive teacher "the fine Christian Brother"?
2. How does Jim react to seeing his friend Bobby Sachs's dead body?
3. Why is Jimmy Mancole behaving strangely, after he and Jim knock on every door and check every street corner looking for drugs?
4. In the winter of 1964, how does Jim try to prove he is not hooked onmarijuana?
5. Describe Jim's performance in the basketball game he plays in New Jersey.
6. How do Jim and his friends end up with the keys to the American Legion?
7. Why do the junkies in the tavern start ordering beer after the cops arrive?
8. Describe Jim's behavior after he smokes a joint with the old Army vet.
9. How does Jim end up playing on a new team at the summer league championship game?
10. How does Jim feel at the end of the diary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Jim become disillusioned with the peace movement? Why does he believe that leaders are not needed? What type of change does he suggest?
Essay Topic 2
How do Jim and his friends show respect for each other? Give an example from the text of one person reaching out to help another.
Essay Topic 3
How does Jim express his confidence over the course of the book? How does he show or hide his weakness?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)