|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jim and his team want to do after their victory at Riverdale?
2. What do Jim and friends call the huge rock they jump off of in the Bronx?
3. In the spring of 1964, where does Jim spend summer nights alone?
4. Why do Jim and his friends laugh during the giant fire on Second Ave.?
5. In the fall of 1964, what old friend of Jim's dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim say he and his friends are not really breaking into the park to steal basketballs?
2. How does Jim manage to hide his report card from his parents?
3. Describe Jim's performance in the basketball game he plays in New Jersey.
4. Why does Jim think the Thanksgiving fast is a bad idea?
5. Why does Jim predict a gang war soon?
6. How are the passersby responding to Freddie C., who is exposing himself, in the Bronx?
7. How does Jim end up playing on a new team at the summer league championship game?
8. Why doesn't Jim like walking to gym class in Central Park?
9. What does Jim tell the principal's secretary when he calls in sick?
10. Why does Jim call local trains lousy transit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a "war baby?" Why does Jim believe he is paying for a war he was not alive for? Discuss how war affects future generations.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Jim want to return to public school? How is his Catholic school different than a public school? How is it similar?
Essay Topic 3
In the summer of 1965, what fuels Jim's fears about a bomb dropping on him? How does his location influence that fear? Might he feel differently if he was raised in a small town? Why or why not?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)