|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the spring of 1964, who does Jim describe as a saint?
2. Why does Jim get three raps across the hand at school?
3. Which friend does not manage to get a seat on the train?
4. Who gets upset when Jim answers questions in class with, "Yah," instead of, "Yes, sir?"
5. Why does Jim stay after school until 4:30 on the day of his friend's wake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jim claim he and his friends have mastered?
2. Describe Jim's behavior after he smokes a joint with the old Army vet.
3. Why is Jim embarrassed during the game against St. Hilda's?
4. Why does Jim feel uneasy walking through Harlem with his friends?
5. Why is Jim banned for the year from the dorm at NYU?
6. Why does Jim suspect his family receives the Catholic News?
7. Why is Chris's story about Willie's injury unlikely?
8. What clues make Jim suspect the three gentlemen in the tavern are narcotics cops?
9. How does Jim feel at the end of the diary?
10. How does Jim manage to hide his report card from his parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Jim unwilling to hustle at Yankee Stadium, when he hustles on the street? Discuss the skills he uses in both of these worlds.
Essay Topic 2
How does Jim express his confidence over the course of the book? How does he show or hide his weakness?
Essay Topic 3
In the summer of 1965, what fuels Jim's fears about a bomb dropping on him? How does his location influence that fear? Might he feel differently if he was raised in a small town? Why or why not?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)