|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rudy the foreman do after he chases Jim to the ramp at Yankee Stadium?
2. What does Jim do after History classes on his first day of school?
3. What does Jim check the almanac for when he gets home from school?
4. Who does Jim offer a joint to in the winter of 1964?
5. How does Jim describe the guys in his new neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim say the train toward 137th St. suddenly smells like a cattle car?
2. How are the passersby responding to Freddie C., who is exposing himself, in the Bronx?
3. Why does Jim think Melody, his blind date, is strange?
4. What behavior puzzles Jim about his rich classmates?
5. How do both teams win the summer league championship game?
6. What event makes Jim wonder where his life is heading?
7. Why does Jim say he never liked Bobo from the old Boys' Club bunch?
8. Why does Jim call his abusive teacher "the fine Christian Brother"?
9. Why doesn't Jim get paid for the car he and his friends steal?
10. Why does Jim feel he has to watch himself in the woods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1What struggles does Jim face in overcoming his drug use? How has the use affected him physically? How has it affected him mentally?
Essay Topic 2How is New York a hero for Jim? How might his life writing be different if he grew up in another place?
Essay Topic 3In the summer of 1965, what fuels Jim's fears about a bomb dropping on him? How does his location influence that fear? Might he feel differently if he was raised in a small town? Why or why not?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)