|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim offer a joint to in the winter of 1964?
2. How does the school nurse solve most ailments, according to Jim?
3. What do Jim and his team want to do after their victory at Riverdale?
4. Why doesn't Mr. Doolittle give Jim any trouble for breaking rules in gym class?
5. What do Jim and his friends have to buy at the all-night deli for their morning sandwiches?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jim end up playing on a new team at the summer league championship game?
2. Why does Pedro stay home from the basketball game?
3. What does Jim say is the advantage of going to a private school?
4. Why does a woman on the bus in Long Beach think Jim is "a commie"?
5. Why does Jim believe drug pushers always have a supply no matter how many busts are made?
6. What event makes Jim wonder where his life is heading?
7. Describe Jim's performance in the basketball game he plays in New Jersey.
8. Describe Jim's behavior after he smokes a joint with the old Army vet.
9. How does Jim react to seeing his friend Bobby Sachs's dead body?
10. Why does Jim feel uneasy walking through Harlem with his friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Jim express his confidence over the course of the book? How does he show or hide his weakness?
Essay Topic 2
How does the abuse Jim experiences at Riker's compare to the harsh reality of his everyday life on the streets? What psychological problems might he face as a result of his experiences?
Essay Topic 3
How does being an athlete help Jim fit in? How does a good reputation as an athlete create opportunities for Jim?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)