|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim go to Staten Island with?
2. What does Jim wear to gym class at the park to feel less self-conscious?
3. Why does someone run for Brother Kenneth during Billy's seizure?
4. What is Jim's motivation for getting along with his cousin's friends in Manhattan?
5. What does Jim call the apartment of Brian and John Browning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim get out of saying confession in the winter of 1964?
2. Why do the junkies in the tavern start ordering beer after the cops arrive?
3. Why does Jim settle for methadone when he wants dope?
4. What does Jim tell the principal's secretary when he calls in sick?
5. Compare Jim's basketball team to the team at Riverdale High.
6. Why does Jim think the Thanksgiving fast is a bad idea?
7. Why does Jim feel uneasy walking through Harlem with his friends?
8. How does Jim's dad respond when he tells him how the government suppresses the proletariat?
9. What clues make Jim suspect the three gentlemen in the tavern are narcotics cops?
10. Why doesn't Jim get paid for the car he and his friends steal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jim's personality. Include characteristics that help him succeed in basketball as well as in his studies.
Essay Topic 2
How does being an athlete help Jim fit in? How does a good reputation as an athlete create opportunities for Jim?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Jim become disillusioned with the peace movement? Why does he believe that leaders are not needed? What type of change does he suggest?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)