|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim do on the eve of Halloween that leads to a beating?
2. Who does Jim talk to about what he learns at the Communist Party meeting?
3. Where does Jim hide while Mr. Bluster looks for students cutting class?
4. In the spring of 1964, where does Jim spend summer nights alone?
5. Willie goes to the beach to wash what out of his hair?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim get out of saying confession in the winter of 1964?
2. Why does Jim think the Thanksgiving fast is a bad idea?
3. How does Jim feel at the end of the diary?
4. What behavior puzzles Jim about his rich classmates?
5. Why does Jim feel Gums's family is being dramatic about him leaving for the Army?
6. Why does Jim run out of the theater during the movie?
7. Why does Jim think the little girl he meets might drop out of her class?
8. Describe the plan Jim's friends execute to deter cops from driving on the paths at the park.
9. Why doesn't Ju-Ju think Jim can pass as his son?
10. What prank does Mancole play on a neighbor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What struggles does Jim face in overcoming his drug use? How has the use affected him physically? How has it affected him mentally?
Essay Topic 2
How do adults positively influence the "characters" in the book? How do they negatively affect them?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jim's interactions with people of other cultures. How does he get along with them? What conflicts does he have? What type of language does he use to describe them?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)