|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim to to attend a Communist Party meeting with Bunty?
2. Why doesn't Mr. Doolittle give Jim any trouble for breaking rules in gym class?
3. What does Jim check the almanac for when he gets home from school?
4. When does Jim say his parents go to church?
5. Who does Jim's team play in the first game of the season?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Jim and some of his teammates draw pills out of a hat before the game at Horace Mann?
2. Describe Jim's performance in the basketball game he plays in New Jersey.
3. How does Jim manage to hide his report card from his parents?
4. How does Jim feel at the end of the diary?
5. Why does Pedro stay home from the basketball game?
6. Why does Jim feel uneasy walking through Harlem with his friends?
7. Why is Jimmy Mancole behaving strangely, after he and Jim knock on every door and check every street corner looking for drugs?
8. What event makes Jim wonder where his life is heading?
9. Why does Jim call his abusive teacher "the fine Christian Brother"?
10. Why doesn't Jim get paid for the car he and his friends steal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is New York a hero for Jim? How might his life writing be different if he grew up in another place?
Essay Topic 2
How does being an athlete help Jim fit in? How does a good reputation as an athlete create opportunities for Jim?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jim's personality. Include characteristics that help him succeed in basketball as well as in his studies.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)