|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jim talk to about what he learns at the Communist Party meeting?
2. How does Jim play on a league out of his age range?
3. What does Jim call the apartment of Brian and John Browning?
4. Which friend does not manage to get a seat on the train?
5. What does Jim's gym class mainly do at Central Park?
Short Essay Questions
1. What prank does Mancole play on a neighbor?
2. In the winter of 1964, how does Jim try to prove he is not hooked onmarijuana?
3. Why does Jim feel he has to watch himself in the woods?
4. Why does Jim say the train toward 137th St. suddenly smells like a cattle car?
5. Why does Jim call local trains lousy transit?
6. Why does Jim think the little girl he meets might drop out of her class?
7. Why does Jim think Melody, his blind date, is strange?
8. Why does Jim feel uneasy walking through Harlem with his friends?
9. Why does Jim stop writing in the winter of 1964?
10. What theory about paying for food do Jim and his friends share while stoned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are teachers portrayed in the diaries? How is education portrayed? What feelings or experiences might explain Jim's fantasy of bringing a gun to school?
Essay Topic 2
How does Jim show his identity? How does his identity change over the course of his teen years?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jim's personality. Include characteristics that help him succeed in basketball as well as in his studies.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)