|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Boys' Club have a memorial service for?
2. Why do Jim and his friends laugh during the giant fire on Second Ave.?
3. What do Jim and Ronnie wear to Alexander's department store?
4. Where do Willie and Jim leave their pipe after their night of smoking and drinking?
5. Who gets upset when Jim answers questions in class with, "Yah," instead of, "Yes, sir?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Jim get paid for the car he and his friends steal?
2. Why does Jim say he and his friends are not really breaking into the park to steal basketballs?
3. Why does Jim think the Thanksgiving fast is a bad idea?
4. Why does Jim dread returning to a Catholic school?
5. What does Jim say is the advantage of going to a private school?
6. What prank does Mancole play on a neighbor?
7. How do the students at Jim's school support the poor and hungry blacks in the south?
8. Why does Jim suspect his family receives the Catholic News?
9. Why does Jim feel Gums's family is being dramatic about him leaving for the Army?
10. Why is Jim banned for the year from the dorm at NYU?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Jim a loyal friend? What decisions does he make that show this quality?
Essay Topic 2
How does the abuse Jim experiences at Riker's compare to the harsh reality of his everyday life on the streets? What psychological problems might he face as a result of his experiences?
Essay Topic 3
How does Jim express his confidence over the course of the book? How does he show or hide his weakness?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)