|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Jim go after the game against Horace Mann?
2. Where does Brother G. punish the student in class for cheating?
3. How does the school nurse solve most ailments, according to Jim?
4. Who gets upset when Jim answers questions in class with, "Yah," instead of, "Yes, sir?"
5. What does Jim call the apartment of Brian and John Browning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Jim and some of his teammates draw pills out of a hat before the game at Horace Mann?
2. Why does Pedro stay home from the basketball game?
3. What behavior puzzles Jim about his rich classmates?
4. Describe Jim's behavior after he smokes a joint with the old Army vet.
5. What are does Jim say his dad does everyday when he comes home from work?
6. Compare Jim's basketball team to the team at Riverdale High.
7. How does Jim manage to hide his report card from his parents?
8. How are the passersby responding to Freddie C., who is exposing himself, in the Bronx?
9. Why does Jim believe Sloppy Eddie and Willie Appleears are able to steal milk and bread from the Grand Union?
10. What event makes Jim wonder where his life is heading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do adults positively influence the "characters" in the book? How do they negatively affect them?
Essay Topic 2
How is New York a hero for Jim? How might his life writing be different if he grew up in another place?
Essay Topic 3
What is a "war baby?" Why does Jim believe he is paying for a war he was not alive for? Discuss how war affects future generations.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)