|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Chris explain Willie's injury to the police officer who stops them?
2. Who does Jim plan to get drunk with in his new neighborhood?
3. What does Jim's gym class mainly do at Central Park?
4. What do Jim and friends call the huge rock they jump off of in the Bronx?
5. Why does someone run for Brother Kenneth during Billy's seizure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim dread returning to a Catholic school?
2. Why does Jim say he never liked Bobo from the old Boys' Club bunch?
3. Why does Jim say he and his friends are not really breaking into the park to steal basketballs?
4. Why doesn't Jim get paid for the car he and his friends steal?
5. Why does Jim believe Sloppy Eddie and Willie Appleears are able to steal milk and bread from the Grand Union?
6. Why doesn't Jim like walking to gym class in Central Park?
7. Describe the plan Jim's friends execute to deter cops from driving on the paths at the park.
8. According to Jim, how is the game "chickie" played?
9. Why does Jim feel Gums's family is being dramatic about him leaving for the Army?
10. Why does Jim settle for methadone when he wants dope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do adults positively influence the "characters" in the book? How do they negatively affect them?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Jim unwilling to hustle at Yankee Stadium, when he hustles on the street? Discuss the skills he uses in both of these worlds.
Essay Topic 3
How is New York a hero for Jim? How might his life writing be different if he grew up in another place?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)