|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What substance does Jim try that he thinks is non-addictive?
2. Who does Jim go to Staten Island with?
3. How does Chris explain Willie's injury to the police officer who stops them?
4. Why doesn't Mr. Doolittle give Jim any trouble for breaking rules in gym class?
5. Who does the Boys' Club have a memorial service for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jim banned for the year from the dorm at NYU?
2. What does Jim tell the principal's secretary when he calls in sick?
3. How do both teams win the summer league championship game?
4. Why doesn't Jim like walking to gym class in Central Park?
5. How do Jim and his friends end up with the keys to the American Legion?
6. What behavior puzzles Jim about his rich classmates?
7. Why does Jim feel Gums's family is being dramatic about him leaving for the Army?
8. Why doesn't Ju-Ju think Jim can pass as his son?
9. How does Jim's dad respond when he tells him how the government suppresses the proletariat?
10. Why does Jim say he and his friends are not really breaking into the park to steal basketballs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is New York a hero for Jim? How might his life writing be different if he grew up in another place?
Essay Topic 2
How is Jim a loyal friend? What decisions does he make that show this quality?
Essay Topic 3
What is a "war baby?" Why does Jim believe he is paying for a war he was not alive for? Discuss how war affects future generations.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)