|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Melody say about marijuana users?
(a) They frighten her.
(b) There is a time and a place for what they do.
(c) They do strange things.
(d) They are a waste of time.
2. Where does Jim go after the game against Horace Mann?
(a) To the woods.
(c) To a bar.
3. Why does Jim punch Larry out in the school trophy room?
(a) Larry trips him.
(b) Larry insists he was reading Time magazine first.
(c) Larry dares him to do it.
(d) Larry makes fun of his hair.
4. What does Jim check the almanac for when he gets home from school?
(a) When the next full moon will be.
(b) Any record of fits tossed in one class of thirty people in one half a school day.
(c) A horoscope that might indicate how his basketball season will go.
(d) Strange weather patterns over New York City.
5. What specialty does Jim say crooks on the Lower East Side have in common?
(a) Snatching handbags off ladies.
(c) Breaking into cars.
(d) Being sneaky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does someone run for Brother Kenneth during Billy's seizure?
2. What is Jim's motivation for getting along with his cousin's friends in Manhattan?
3. In the spring of 1964, who does Jim describe as a saint?
4. What do Jim and Ronnie wear to Alexander's department store?
5. Why do Jim and his friends laugh during the giant fire on Second Ave.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jim's dad respond when he tells him how the government suppresses the proletariat?
2. How does Jim manage to hide his report card from his parents?
3. Describe Jim's behavior after he smokes a joint with the old Army vet.
4. Why is Chris's story about Willie's injury unlikely?
5. What does Jim say is the advantage of going to a private school?
6. What does Jim claim he and his friends have mastered?
7. How does Jim feel at the end of the diary?
8. Why does Jim think the little girl he meets might drop out of her class?
9. Why does Jim suspect his family receives the Catholic News?
10. How does Jim's body feel when he tries heroin for the first time?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)