|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jim call Chris the "spiller"?
(a) Everyone else calls him that.
(b) Chris knocks things over when he is drunk.
(c) Chris's last name rhymes with "spiller."
(d) Chris pretends to be drunk but pours out most of the drinks.
2. Why doesn't Mr. Doolittle give Jim any trouble for breaking rules in gym class?
(a) Mr. Doolittle does not notice when students break rules.
(b) Mr. Doolittle is the basketball coach.
(c) Mr. Doolittle is afraid of him.
(d) Mr. Doolittle has given up on Jim.
3. Where does Brother G. punish the student in class for cheating?
(a) In the hall.
(b) In the principal's office.
(c) In the coat closet.
(d) In front of the class.
4. Who at school does Jim decide to steal from?
(b) Mr. principal.
(c) The wrestling team.
(d) The teachers.
5. Who does Jim say is a die-hard Marxist?
(a) His father.
(b) Bunty Garden.
(c) Steve Malone
(d) His cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jim have trouble communicating to one of the police officers who stop him in the park?
2. What is Jim's motivation for getting along with his cousin's friends in Manhattan?
3. Who do Willie and Jim look for on the beach in Long Beach?
4. Who does the Boys' Club have a memorial service for?
5. What does Jim bring on the train uptown to break his boredom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jim believe Sloppy Eddie and Willie Appleears are able to steal milk and bread from the Grand Union?
2. How are the passersby responding to Freddie C., who is exposing himself, in the Bronx?
3. Why does Jim stop writing in the winter of 1964?
4. Compare Jim's basketball team to the team at Riverdale High.
5. How does Jim end up playing on a new team at the summer league championship game?
6. Why does a woman on the bus in Long Beach think Jim is "a commie"?
7. Why is Jim banned for the year from the dorm at NYU?
8. How does Jim's dad respond when he tells him how the government suppresses the proletariat?
9. Why does Jim feel uneasy walking through Harlem with his friends?
10. How does Jim's body feel when he tries heroin for the first time?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)