|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets upset when Jim answers questions in class with, "Yah," instead of, "Yes, sir?"
(a) Eggie Blaumgarden.
(b) Fat Eddie.
(c) Mr. Brothers.
(d) Mr. Belt.
2. What is Jim's motivation for getting along with his cousin's friends in Manhattan?
(a) He is trying to impress his cousin.
(b) He believes he can sell stolen goods to them.
(c) His family is moving to their neighborhood, and he will finish the school year with them.
(d) His mom will give him money if he makes a new group of friends.
3. Who does Fat Eddie introduce Jim to when he arrives at his house?
(a) His neighbor, Hal.
(b) His cat, Cheetah.
(c) His parents.
(d) Winkie and Blinkie.
4. Who at school does Jim decide to steal from?
(a) The teachers.
(c) Mr. principal.
(d) The wrestling team.
5. Why does a chorus of people laugh at Jim on a previous train ride?
(a) Someone tells him he looks like a girl.
(b) He gets his shirt stuck in the door.
(c) The seat breaks in half when he sits.
(d) He falls out of his seat.
6. What does the old lady on the bus tell Jim will happen in a month?
(a) He will die.
(b) She will see her grandchildren.
(c) The war will end.
(d) He will fall in love.
7. In the fall of 1964, what old friend of Jim's dies?
(a) Kevin Dolon.
(d) Bobby Sachs.
8. Who does Jim talk to about what he learns at the Communist Party meeting?
(a) His dad.
(b) His neighbor.
(c) His mom.
(d) His principal.
9. What fake name does Brian give when he purchases codeine?
(a) James Bond.
(b) Bill Russell.
(c) Jack Kerouac.
(d) Alexander Pope.
10. Jim says, "I just want to be _____ and live in the _____."
11. What does Jim check the almanac for when he gets home from school?
(a) When the next full moon will be.
(b) Any record of fits tossed in one class of thirty people in one half a school day.
(c) Strange weather patterns over New York City.
(d) A horoscope that might indicate how his basketball season will go.
12. What specialty does Jim say crooks on the Lower East Side have in common?
(a) Being sneaky.
(b) Breaking into cars.
(c) Snatching handbags off ladies.
13. What does Jim call the annual Thanksgiving fast at school?
(a) A good idea.
(b) An opportunity to bond with classmates.
(c) A farce.
(d) A big deal.
14. Where does Brother G. punish the student in class for cheating?
(a) In the principal's office.
(b) In front of the class.
(c) In the hall.
(d) In the coat closet.
15. Who does the Boys' Club have a memorial service for?
(a) Bro. Kenny.
(b) Teddy Rayhill.
(c) Herbie Hemslie.
(d) Bro. Wally Wade.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jim and his friends use to attack girls on the eve of Halloween?
2. Who gets beat in the winter of 1964 for cheating on a religion quiz?
3. What do Jim and his friends have to buy at the all-night deli for their morning sandwiches?
4. Who does Jim say was gunned down at a ballroom near 163rd?
5. What substance does Jim try that he thinks is non-addictive?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)