|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Slope feel toward Eleanor after declaring his love for her?
2. Who does Dr. Gwynne support for wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
3. How does the Archdeacon describe Eleanor and Mr. Arabin?
4. Who does Eleanor run into after leaving the Thornes' party?
5. Who thinks Mr. Arabin is disgracing himself by visiting the signora?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eleanor describe her love for Mr. Arabin in Chapter 49?
2. What does Eleanor tell her father after the Thorne's party?
3. Why does Dr. Harding visit Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 52?
4. Why does Mr. Arabin talk to the signora at the Thorne's party?
5. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
6. When the Archdeacon runs into Mrs. Quiverful in Chapter 50, what does he say to her?
7. What role does the Prime Minister play in the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
8. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
9. What happens in Chapter 39 when the Lookalofts join the upper class party?
10. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this novel often traveled between London and Barchester. Who resides in which city? What takes place in each city? What does each city represent? Compare and contrast the cities and explain their roles in the development of the characters, plot, and conflict between liberal and conservative factions of the church.
Essay Topic 2
Several of the characters in "Barchester Towers" are described as being scholars. What does education mean in this novel? Who is well-educated? What kinds of education do the characters receive? How is education reflected on by the author? How do you think education fits in the society of "Barchester Towers"? Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
The wardenship of Hiram's Hospital was a point of debate between the two factions of the church. What is the wardenship? Why is it so hotly debated? What is symbolic about this position and the hospital? Who would you say is a "casualty" of the wardenship debate, and why? Who wins the debate and what exactly do they win?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)