|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eleanor feel about the Stanhopes at the end of Chapter 42?
2. Who does Eleanor want to move in with her?
3. What does Mr. Slope plan to do at the Thorne's party?
4. Who goes against the Thorne's wishes at their party?
5. Who is invited to the Thorne's party in Chapter 35?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
2. Why does Mr. Arabin talk to the signora at the Thorne's party?
3. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
4. What role does Dr. Harding play in helping Mr. Arabin become Dean?
5. How does Eleanor describe her love for Mr. Arabin in Chapter 49?
6. How does Eleanor respond when Mr. Slope follows her at the Thorne's party?
7. What role does the Prime Minister play in the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
8. Why doesn't Eleanor want to tell the Archdeacon about her engagement to Mr. Arabin?
9. What does the game of quintain mean to the Thornes?
10. How does Mrs. Proudie try to humiliate Mr. Slope in Chapter 51?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between the Bishop and his wife. How is power reflected in the couple? How do they impact the other characters and the plot of "Barchester Towers"? What makes their relationship fit in with the themes of power struggle and conflict? Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Several of the characters in "Barchester Towers" are described as being scholars. What does education mean in this novel? Who is well-educated? What kinds of education do the characters receive? How is education reflected on by the author? How do you think education fits in the society of "Barchester Towers"? Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Slope fought for power throughout "Barchester Towers". Follow the development of Mr. Slope and describe each of his attempts to gain power. How does Mr. Slope try to become more powerful? How does he respond to power? What is symbolic about Mr. Slope's attempts to gain power? How does his end in this novel relate to his behavior?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)