|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game does Mrs. Thorne want to play at the party?
2. How does Mr. Slope feel toward Eleanor after declaring his love for her?
3. Why does Mr. Slope quickly return to town at the end of Chapter 40?
4. How does Eleanor feel about the Stanhopes at the end of Chapter 42?
5. What makes Miss Thorne want to set up Mr. Arabin and Eleanor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 45, why do Bertie and his father argue and what is the result?
2. What happens to Mr. Slope in London after being fired in Barchester?
3. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
4. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
5. Why doesn't Eleanor want to tell the Archdeacon about her engagement to Mr. Arabin?
6. What role does Dr. Harding play in helping Mr. Arabin become Dean?
7. What does Bertie do instead of proposing marriage to Eleanor?
8. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
9. What things does Mr. Arabin do when he goes to London in Chapter 34?
10. What does the game of quintain mean to the Thornes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Trollope use the Lookalofts to make a social commentary? What is he saying about the people of Barchester? How do other characters' interactions with the Lookalofts add to his commentary? What makes this a significant and useful device?
Essay Topic 2
The church has a great deal of power and a strict organization of that power. Describe the different levels of church officials and how they relate to each other. What characters try to gain power and how do they do this? Who is successful and why do you think they are? What is the author trying to say about power in the church?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the social changes taking place during "Barchester Towers". How do the characters respond to these changes? Which changes "win" in the novel, and why? What is Trollope trying to say about this period in time?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)