|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Harding respond to the news of Eleanor's engagement?
2. How does Eleanor feel about the Stanhopes at the end of Chapter 42?
3. Who thinks Mr. Arabin is disgracing himself by visiting the signora?
4. Where is the party in Chapter 33?
5. How many possible candidates for the deanery does the Prime Minister consider?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Archdeacon give everyone gifts on the day of Mr. Arabin and Eleanor's wedding?
2. When the Archdeacon runs into Mrs. Quiverful in Chapter 50, what does he say to her?
3. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
4. Why doesn't Eleanor want to tell the Archdeacon about her engagement to Mr. Arabin?
5. Why does Dr. Harding visit Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 52?
6. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
7. In Chapter 45, why do Bertie and his father argue and what is the result?
8. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
9. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
10. What does the game of quintain mean to the Thornes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"? Who has more power at what times? How is their power intertwined? What does Trollope say about the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of "Barchester Towers" it appears that all the characters have happy endings. What is significant about the ending of this novel? How does this close the conflict between the conservative and liberal factions of the church? What has been resolved in regards to the church vs. the government? How is it possible for all the characters to have happy endings?
Essay Topic 3
"Barchester Towers" is centered on the conflict of traditional vs. progressive religion. Summarize each side and the characters that support it. How is each side depicted in this novel, how do they clash, and what is the resolution?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)