Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Arabin meet with in London to discuss his struggle with the Bishop?
2. At the Thorne's party,who does Mrs. Proudie suggest has a chance to become the new Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
3. Who says they were "never so happy in their (lives)"?
4. What does the Archdeacon tell Mr. Arabin about his wedding?
5. Why does Eleanor wake up early the morning after the engagement?
Essay Topic 1
"Barchester Towers" makes reference to Greek and Roman mythology. Examine the use of this as a symbolic device. Why does the author select these myths? How are they used? What do they reflect? Please reference specific myths used in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
"Barchester Towers" is centered on the conflict of traditional vs. progressive religion. Summarize each side and the characters that support it. How is each side depicted in this novel, how do they clash, and what is the resolution?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between the Bishop and his wife. How is power reflected in the couple? How do they impact the other characters and the plot of "Barchester Towers"? What makes their relationship fit in with the themes of power struggle and conflict? Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)