|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who upstages the signora's entrance at the Thorne's party?
2. How does Eleanor feel about her father's offer of the deanery?
3. What does the Archdeacon tell Mr. Arabin about his wedding?
4. How does Mr. Slope feel when he leaves the Stanhopes' in Chapter 46?
5. What does the deanery pay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Arabin tells Mrs. Grantly about his engagement?
2. What happens to Mr. Slope in London after being fired in Barchester?
3. What does Bertie do instead of proposing marriage to Eleanor?
4. What makes the gathering at the Thorne estate in Chapter 33 complicated for Eleanor?
5. What does Eleanor tell her father after the Thorne's party?
6. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
7. How does Eleanor respond when Mr. Slope follows her at the Thorne's party?
8. How does Mrs. Proudie try to humiliate Mr. Slope in Chapter 51?
9. In Chapter 45, why do Bertie and his father argue and what is the result?
10. Why does Charlotte suggest Bertie as a good person to defend Eleanor's honor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the upper classes of Barchester to the lower classes. What represents the divide? How does each respond to the conflicts happening in the church? What happens at the Thornes' party? How does this novel feel about the class divide?
Essay Topic 2
Follow the relationship between Mrs. Proudie and Mr. Slope from beginning to end. Why are they friends? What are they trying to accomplish? How do they work together and how do they work against each other? What symbols does Trollope use to describe their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Slope fought for power throughout "Barchester Towers". Follow the development of Mr. Slope and describe each of his attempts to gain power. How does Mr. Slope try to become more powerful? How does he respond to power? What is symbolic about Mr. Slope's attempts to gain power? How does his end in this novel relate to his behavior?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)