|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Arabin feel when he is asked to become Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
2. What new job does the Bishop take on?
3. Who describes Mr. Arabin as being "noble and good and high-minded"?
4. What makes Mr. Arabin angry at the Thorne's party?
5. Why are the tenant farmers angry with the Lookalofts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the game of quintain mean to the Thornes?
2. Why does Dr. Harding feel he is a poor candidate for the deanery?
3. What things does Mr. Arabin do when he goes to London in Chapter 34?
4. What happens when Mr. Arabin tells Mrs. Grantly about his engagement?
5. What role does Dr. Harding play in helping Mr. Arabin become Dean?
6. Why does the Archdeacon give everyone gifts on the day of Mr. Arabin and Eleanor's wedding?
7. Why does Mr. Arabin talk to the signora at the Thorne's party?
8. How do the Lookalofts go against the wishes of the Thornes at their party?
9. Why does Charlotte suggest Bertie as a good person to defend Eleanor's honor?
10. In Chapter 45, why do Bertie and his father argue and what is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the upper classes of Barchester to the lower classes. What represents the divide? How does each respond to the conflicts happening in the church? What happens at the Thornes' party? How does this novel feel about the class divide?
Essay Topic 2
What do the Stanhopes represent in the church? Describe their story and explain what role they play in the conflict between the conservative and liberal factions of the church. Be sure to comment on each member of the Stanhope family.
Essay Topic 3
How does Trollope use the Lookalofts to make a social commentary? What is he saying about the people of Barchester? How do other characters' interactions with the Lookalofts add to his commentary? What makes this a significant and useful device?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)