|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is invited to the Thorne's party in Chapter 35?
2. How long does Miss Thorne think it will take for Mr. Arabin to propose to Eleanor?
3. What does Eleanor explain to her father at the Thorne's party?
4. Who does Mr. Slope discuss the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral with in Chapter 32?
5. Why is Mr. Arabin at the Stanhope house in Chapter 46?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mr. Slope visits in Chapter 46, what does the signora do to scare him away?
2. What happens in Chapter 39 when the Lookalofts join the upper class party?
3. Why does Dr. Harding visit Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 52?
4. What does Mr. Slope do in Chapter 32 to try to become Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
5. Why does Dr. Harding feel he is a poor candidate for the deanery?
6. Why does Charlotte suggest Bertie as a good person to defend Eleanor's honor?
7. Why does Mr. Arabin talk to the signora at the Thorne's party?
8. What things does Mr. Arabin do when he goes to London in Chapter 34?
9. Why doesn't Eleanor want to tell the Archdeacon about her engagement to Mr. Arabin?
10. What makes the gathering at the Thorne estate in Chapter 33 complicated for Eleanor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eleanor is used by several characters. Who tries to use Eleanor to meet their own ends? How do they do this and what are the results? What does Eleanor represent in the novel? Why is it significant that no one successfully uses Eleanor for their own gain? What is Eleanor's purpose in "Barchester Towers"?
Essay Topic 2
Several of the characters in "Barchester Towers" are described as being scholars. What does education mean in this novel? Who is well-educated? What kinds of education do the characters receive? How is education reflected on by the author? How do you think education fits in the society of "Barchester Towers"? Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
What do the Stanhopes represent in the church? Describe their story and explain what role they play in the conflict between the conservative and liberal factions of the church. Be sure to comment on each member of the Stanhope family.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)