|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the Thorne's party, what happens to the son of one of their tenants?
2. Who does Eleanor see Mr. Arabin with after leaving the Thornes' party?
3. Who writes Eleanor a letter in Chapter 44?
4. Who ends up whispering the name of Mr. Arabin to a "distinguished person" in regards to the deanery?
5. Why doesn't the Archdeacon believe that Eleanor will marry Mr. Arabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The signora seems to live to seduce men and do little else. Examine the signora as a catalyst for the other characters. Choose four characters and explain how the signora impacted them. What is ironic about her character? What makes her deeper than she originally seems?
Essay Topic 2
The church has a great deal of power and a strict organization of that power. Describe the different levels of church officials and how they relate to each other. What characters try to gain power and how do they do this? Who is successful and why do you think they are? What is the author trying to say about power in the church?
Essay Topic 3
What do the Stanhopes represent in the church? Describe their story and explain what role they play in the conflict between the conservative and liberal factions of the church. Be sure to comment on each member of the Stanhope family.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)