|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the Thorne's party, what does Mr. Slope do when Eleanor tries to be alone?
2. Where does the Archbishop live?
3. How does Mr. Slope feel when he leaves the Stanhopes' in Chapter 46?
4. How is Mr. Arabin's new job as Dean toasted?
5. How many possible candidates for the deanery does the Prime Minister consider?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
2. What does Eleanor tell her father after the Thorne's party?
3. Why does Mr. Arabin talk to the signora at the Thorne's party?
4. What does the Archdeacon convince Dr. Harding to do in Chapter 47?
5. Why do the conservatives of Barchester fear that Mr. Slope will become the next Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
6. Why doesn't Eleanor want to tell the Archdeacon about her engagement to Mr. Arabin?
7. How does Eleanor describe her love for Mr. Arabin in Chapter 49?
8. Why does Dr. Harding feel he is a poor candidate for the deanery?
9. When Mr. Slope visits in Chapter 46, what does the signora do to scare him away?
10. What happens in Chapter 39 when the Lookalofts join the upper class party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eleanor is used by several characters. Who tries to use Eleanor to meet their own ends? How do they do this and what are the results? What does Eleanor represent in the novel? Why is it significant that no one successfully uses Eleanor for their own gain? What is Eleanor's purpose in "Barchester Towers"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the social changes taking place during "Barchester Towers". How do the characters respond to these changes? Which changes "win" in the novel, and why? What is Trollope trying to say about this period in time?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"? Who has more power at what times? How is their power intertwined? What does Trollope say about the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)