|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author compare Mr. Arabin's religious beliefs to Eleanor's?
2. Why does Mrs. Proudie say that Mr. Slope will be fired?
3. Who does the Archdeacon fear will become the new Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
4. What does the Archdeacon give Eleanor as a present on her wedding day?
5. Who does the Archbishop feel is capable of being Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the game of quintain mean to the Thornes?
2. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
3. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
4. When the Archdeacon runs into Mrs. Quiverful in Chapter 50, what does he say to her?
5. What does Bertie do instead of proposing marriage to Eleanor?
6. Why doesn't Eleanor want to tell the Archdeacon about her engagement to Mr. Arabin?
7. What makes the gathering at the Thorne estate in Chapter 33 complicated for Eleanor?
8. Why does the Archdeacon give everyone gifts on the day of Mr. Arabin and Eleanor's wedding?
9. What happens in Chapter 39 when the Lookalofts join the upper class party?
10. What happens when Mr. Arabin tells Mrs. Grantly about his engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the social changes taking place during "Barchester Towers". How do the characters respond to these changes? Which changes "win" in the novel, and why? What is Trollope trying to say about this period in time?
Essay Topic 2
"Barchester Towers" is centered on the conflict of traditional vs. progressive religion. Summarize each side and the characters that support it. How is each side depicted in this novel, how do they clash, and what is the resolution?
Essay Topic 3
Follow the relationship between Mrs. Proudie and Mr. Slope from beginning to end. Why are they friends? What are they trying to accomplish? How do they work together and how do they work against each other? What symbols does Trollope use to describe their relationship?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)