|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mr. Arabin informed of his position as Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
2. Who tells the Archdeacon about Eleanor's marriage plans?
3. How is Mr. Arabin's new job as Dean toasted?
4. Where does the Archbishop live?
5. When Eleanor returns to Barchester, what has happened to the Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
Essay Topic 1
The signora seems to live to seduce men and do little else. Examine the signora as a catalyst for the other characters. Choose four characters and explain how the signora impacted them. What is ironic about her character? What makes her deeper than she originally seems?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the upper classes of Barchester to the lower classes. What represents the divide? How does each respond to the conflicts happening in the church? What happens at the Thornes' party? How does this novel feel about the class divide?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Slope fought for power throughout "Barchester Towers". Follow the development of Mr. Slope and describe each of his attempts to gain power. How does Mr. Slope try to become more powerful? How does he respond to power? What is symbolic about Mr. Slope's attempts to gain power? How does his end in this novel relate to his behavior?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)