|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is suggested to Eleanor as a person to defend her honor?
2. Who is offered the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
3. How does the Archdeacon describe Eleanor and Mr. Arabin?
4. How does Mr. Slope feel when he leaves the Stanhopes' in Chapter 46?
5. What does the author compare the end of a novel to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
2. What does Bertie do instead of proposing marriage to Eleanor?
3. What happens to Mr. Slope in London after being fired in Barchester?
4. How do the Lookalofts go against the wishes of the Thornes at their party?
5. What happens when Mr. Arabin tells Mrs. Grantly about his engagement?
6. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
7. How does Eleanor describe her love for Mr. Arabin in Chapter 49?
8. When the Archdeacon runs into Mrs. Quiverful in Chapter 50, what does he say to her?
9. Why does Dr. Harding feel he is a poor candidate for the deanery?
10. Why does Charlotte suggest Bertie as a good person to defend Eleanor's honor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Slope fought for power throughout "Barchester Towers". Follow the development of Mr. Slope and describe each of his attempts to gain power. How does Mr. Slope try to become more powerful? How does he respond to power? What is symbolic about Mr. Slope's attempts to gain power? How does his end in this novel relate to his behavior?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the social changes taking place during "Barchester Towers". How do the characters respond to these changes? Which changes "win" in the novel, and why? What is Trollope trying to say about this period in time?
Essay Topic 3
Eleanor is used by several characters. Who tries to use Eleanor to meet their own ends? How do they do this and what are the results? What does Eleanor represent in the novel? Why is it significant that no one successfully uses Eleanor for their own gain? What is Eleanor's purpose in "Barchester Towers"?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)