|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After talking with Mr. Arabin at the Thorne's party, how does the signora feel about Mr. Arabin?
2. Who does Mr. Slope discuss the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral with in Chapter 32?
3. What does the author compare the end of a novel to?
4. Where does Bertie leave for?
5. How does Eleanor feel about Charlotte now that she is engaged?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mr. Slope visits in Chapter 46, what does the signora do to scare him away?
2. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
3. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
4. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
5. How does Eleanor describe her love for Mr. Arabin in Chapter 49?
6. In Chapter 45, why do Bertie and his father argue and what is the result?
7. How does Mrs. Proudie try to humiliate Mr. Slope in Chapter 51?
8. Why does the Archdeacon give everyone gifts on the day of Mr. Arabin and Eleanor's wedding?
9. What does Bertie do instead of proposing marriage to Eleanor?
10. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How could "Barchester Towers" be considered a romantic comedy? What characters are involved and what are their plot lines? How does this reflect the romantic comedies of our time? What is similar or dissimilar?
Essay Topic 2
The wardenship of Hiram's Hospital was a point of debate between the two factions of the church. What is the wardenship? Why is it so hotly debated? What is symbolic about this position and the hospital? Who would you say is a "casualty" of the wardenship debate, and why? Who wins the debate and what exactly do they win?
Essay Topic 3
The characters of "Barchester Towers" love to spread rumors. Discuss three rumors that were featured in this novel. Summarize the rumor and reflect on the affect the rumor had on the characters and plot development. What does the author seem to be saying about rumors?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)