|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Proudie feel that Mr. Slope cannot be Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
2. How does Mr. Arabin feel when he is asked to become Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
3. Who is appointed warden of Hiram's Hospital?
4. Why doesn't Bertie propose to Eleanor?
5. What game does Mrs. Thorne want to play at the party?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Archdeacon runs into Mrs. Quiverful in Chapter 50, what does he say to her?
2. How does Eleanor describe her love for Mr. Arabin in Chapter 49?
3. When Mr. Slope visits in Chapter 46, what does the signora do to scare him away?
4. What does the Archdeacon convince Dr. Harding to do in Chapter 47?
5. What happens in Chapter 39 when the Lookalofts join the upper class party?
6. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
7. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
8. Why does Mr. Arabin talk to the signora at the Thorne's party?
9. In Chapter 45, why do Bertie and his father argue and what is the result?
10. What makes the gathering at the Thorne estate in Chapter 33 complicated for Eleanor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the social changes taking place during "Barchester Towers". How do the characters respond to these changes? Which changes "win" in the novel, and why? What is Trollope trying to say about this period in time?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of "Barchester Towers" it appears that all the characters have happy endings. What is significant about the ending of this novel? How does this close the conflict between the conservative and liberal factions of the church? What has been resolved in regards to the church vs. the government? How is it possible for all the characters to have happy endings?
Essay Topic 3
How does Trollope use the Lookalofts to make a social commentary? What is he saying about the people of Barchester? How do other characters' interactions with the Lookalofts add to his commentary? What makes this a significant and useful device?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)