|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 24, who does the Archdeacon ask for help with the wardenship?
2. What does Eleanor do in the morning at the end of Chapter 29?
3. In Chapter 29, who comes to see Eleanor to discuss her relationship with Mr. Slope?
4. In Chapter 16, what causes a rift in Mr. Slope's relationship with Mrs. Proudie?
5. Who does Eleanor defend in Chapter 18 when she discusses the wardenship with her father and the Archdeacon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship of power between Dr. Proudie, Mrs. Proudie, and Mr. Slope as described in Chapter 3.
2. What do the Proudies, Mr. Slope, and the Archdeacon debate during their meeting in Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 12, what changes does Mr. Slope suggest for Hiram's Hospital?
4. How does Eleanor's family react to the letter from Mr. Slope?
5. What does the Archdeacon plan to do in terms of the wardenship at the end of Chapter 18?
6. What happens when Mr. Slope visits with Eleanor Bold and Susan Grantly?
7. What does the Archdeacon discover when he does research following Mr. Slope's sermon?
8. Describe Mr. Slope's sermon in Chapter 6.
9. What happens in Chapter 15 in regards to Mr. Slope and his role in filling the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
10. When the Proudies announce they are having a party in Chapter 10, what are some of the concerns their guests feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"? Who has more power at what times? How is their power intertwined? What does Trollope say about the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the upper classes of Barchester to the lower classes. What represents the divide? How does each respond to the conflicts happening in the church? What happens at the Thornes' party? How does this novel feel about the class divide?
Essay Topic 3
"Barchester Towers" is considered to be written in the style of realism. Describe this movement of literature and what makes this novel a good example of realism. What makes the novel not fit into the description of realism?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)