Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, how are Mr. Slope's religious beliefs described?
2. In Chapter 7, what do the townspeople of Barchester think about Mr. Slope?
3. In Chapter 17, what does Mrs. Proudie tell Mr. Slope her role is?
4. In Chapter 24, who does the Archdeacon ask for help with the wardenship?
5. What do the men do when Dr. Harding and Eleanor visit the Archdeacon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Harding learn about the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14, and how does he respond?
2. Why does Dr. Harding feel he is a poor candidate for the deanery?
3. What happens in Chapter 15 in regards to Mr. Slope and his role in filling the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
4. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
5. In Chapter 24, what happens between Mr. Slope and Mr. Quiverful in regards to the wardenship?
6. What does the game of quintain mean to the Thornes?
7. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
8. What happens when Mr. Arabin tells Mrs. Grantly about his engagement?
9. How does Eleanor's family react to the letter from Mr. Slope?
10. Why does Mr. Arabin talk to the signora at the Thorne's party?
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this novel often traveled between London and Barchester. Who resides in which city? What takes place in each city? What does each city represent? Compare and contrast the cities and explain their roles in the development of the characters, plot, and conflict between liberal and conservative factions of the church.
Essay Topic 2
How does Trollope use the Lookalofts to make a social commentary? What is he saying about the people of Barchester? How do other characters' interactions with the Lookalofts add to his commentary? What makes this a significant and useful device?
Essay Topic 3
"Barchester Towers" is centered on the conflict of traditional vs. progressive religion. Summarize each side and the characters that support it. How is each side depicted in this novel, how do they clash, and what is the resolution?
This section contains 1,666 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)