|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mr. Arabin?
2. Who does Mr. Arabin meet at a party at the Stanhope's in Chapter 24?
3. How does Eleanor feel when she finds out that Mr. Arabin thinks she will marry Mr. Slope?
4. Who does Mr. Slope visit in Chapter 8?
5. Why does Mr. Slope discuss the position of warden with Dr. Harding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship of power between Dr. Proudie, Mrs. Proudie, and Mr. Slope as described in Chapter 3.
2. When the Proudies announce they are having a party in Chapter 10, what are some of the concerns their guests feel?
3. What does Mr. Slope write in his letter to Eleanor in Chapter 27?
4. How does Eleanor's family react to the letter from Mr. Slope?
5. What role does Mr. Slope play in the Proudie's discussion of the wardenship position in Chapters 25 and 26?
6. In Chapter 2, what does the bill Parliament passes mean to Hiram's Hospital?
7. What happens in Chapter 15 in regards to Mr. Slope and his role in filling the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
8. What does the Archdeacon tell Eleanor about her relationship with Mr. Slope?
9. What does the Archdeacon plan to do in terms of the wardenship at the end of Chapter 18?
10. How does Mr. Arabin discover that he is in love with Eleanor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eleanor is used by several characters. Who tries to use Eleanor to meet their own ends? How do they do this and what are the results? What does Eleanor represent in the novel? Why is it significant that no one successfully uses Eleanor for their own gain? What is Eleanor's purpose in "Barchester Towers"?
Essay Topic 2
How could "Barchester Towers" be considered a romantic comedy? What characters are involved and what are their plot lines? How does this reflect the romantic comedies of our time? What is similar or dissimilar?
Essay Topic 3
The wardenship of Hiram's Hospital was a point of debate between the two factions of the church. What is the wardenship? Why is it so hotly debated? What is symbolic about this position and the hospital? Who would you say is a "casualty" of the wardenship debate, and why? Who wins the debate and what exactly do they win?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)