Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, how are Mr. Slope's religious beliefs described?
2. In Chapter 7, what do the townspeople of Barchester think about Mr. Slope?
3. In Chapter 17, what does Mrs. Proudie tell Mr. Slope her role is?
4. In Chapter 24, who does the Archdeacon ask for help with the wardenship?
5. What do the men do when Dr. Harding and Eleanor visit the Archdeacon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Harding learn about the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14, and how does he respond?
2. Why does Dr. Harding feel he is a poor candidate for the deanery?
3. What happens in Chapter 15 in regards to Mr. Slope and his role in filling the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
4. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
5. In Chapter 24, what happens between Mr. Slope and Mr. Quiverful in regards to the wardenship?
6. What does the game of quintain mean to the Thornes?
7. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
8. What happens when Mr. Arabin tells Mrs. Grantly about his engagement?
9. How does Eleanor's family react to the letter from Mr. Slope?
10. Why does Mr. Arabin talk to the signora at the Thorne's party?
Several of the characters in "Barchester Towers" are described as being scholars. What does education mean in this novel? Who is well-educated? What kinds of education do the characters receive? How is education reflected on by the author? How do you think education fits in the society of "Barchester Towers"? Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your opinion.
Describe the social changes taking place during "Barchester Towers". How do the characters respond to these changes? Which changes "win" in the novel, and why? What is Trollope trying to say about this period in time?
Describe the relationship between the Bishop and his wife. How is power reflected in the couple? How do they impact the other characters and the plot of "Barchester Towers"? What makes their relationship fit in with the themes of power struggle and conflict? Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)