|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Madeleine, "the signora", arrive late in Chapter 10?
2. In Chapter 16, what causes a rift in Mr. Slope's relationship with Mrs. Proudie?
3. What does Mrs. Quiverful tell Mrs. Proudie about that makes Mrs. Proudie want to help her?
4. What is revealed about Mr. Slope and the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14?
5. In Chapter 1, who dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Slope write in his letter to Eleanor in Chapter 27?
2. When the Proudies announce they are having a party in Chapter 10, what are some of the concerns their guests feel?
3. What does the Archdeacon discover when he does research following Mr. Slope's sermon?
4. How does Mr. Slope run his church?
5. In Chapter 16, what role does Mrs. Proudie play in filling the wardenship?
6. In Chapter 12, what changes does Mr. Slope suggest for Hiram's Hospital?
7. How does Eleanor's family react to the letter from Mr. Slope?
8. What makes the evening at the Stanhopes in Chapter 19 complicated for Mr. Slope?
9. What happens to Mr. Slope and Mrs. Proudie's relationship after discussing the wardenship in Chapter 26?
10. What do the Proudies, Mr. Slope, and the Archdeacon debate during their meeting in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Barchester Towers" is centered on the conflict of traditional vs. progressive religion. Summarize each side and the characters that support it. How is each side depicted in this novel, how do they clash, and what is the resolution?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the upper classes of Barchester to the lower classes. What represents the divide? How does each respond to the conflicts happening in the church? What happens at the Thornes' party? How does this novel feel about the class divide?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between the Bishop and his wife. How is power reflected in the couple? How do they impact the other characters and the plot of "Barchester Towers"? What makes their relationship fit in with the themes of power struggle and conflict? Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)