Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Archdeacon feel about the Proudies when he meets them in Chapter 5?
2. In Chapter 2, what makes Dr. Harding scandalous?
3. When Eleanor talks to Bertie about Mr. Slope, what do they agree on?
4. Who gets to select the warden of Hiram's Hospital?
5. In Chapter 24, who does the Archdeacon ask for help with the wardenship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Arabin tells Mrs. Grantly about his engagement?
2. How does Mrs. Proudie try to humiliate Mr. Slope in Chapter 51?
3. How does Eleanor describe her love for Mr. Arabin in Chapter 49?
4. When Mrs. Proudie visits Mr. Slope in Chapter 17, what things does she tell him?
5. How does Miss Thorne show that she is behind the times while having lunch with Mr. Arabin, the Archdeacon, and Eleanor?
6. What does the game of quintain mean to the Thornes?
7. What happens to Mr. Slope in London after being fired in Barchester?
8. Why does Mr. Arabin talk to the signora at the Thorne's party?
9. What role does Mr. Slope play in the Proudie's discussion of the wardenship position in Chapters 25 and 26?
10. Why does Charlotte suggest Bertie as a good person to defend Eleanor's honor?
Describe the social changes taking place during "Barchester Towers". How do the characters respond to these changes? Which changes "win" in the novel, and why? What is Trollope trying to say about this period in time?
What is the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"? Who has more power at what times? How is their power intertwined? What does Trollope say about the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"?
How could "Barchester Towers" be considered a romantic comedy? What characters are involved and what are their plot lines? How does this reflect the romantic comedies of our time? What is similar or dissimilar?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)