|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author describe the Thornes?
2. How does Mr. Arabin respond when he hears that Eleanor might marry Mr. Slope?
3. For Mr. Arabin's first sermon, where do the Archdeacon and Eleanor have lunch with Mr. Arabin?
4. How old is Mr. Arabin?
5. Where is Mr. Slope a tutor?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mrs. Proudie visits Mr. Slope in Chapter 17, what things does she tell him?
2. What role does Mr. Slope play in the Proudie's discussion of the wardenship position in Chapters 25 and 26?
3. In Chapter 24, what happens between Mr. Slope and Mr. Quiverful in regards to the wardenship?
4. How does Mr. Arabin discover that he is in love with Eleanor?
5. What happens to Mr. Slope and Mrs. Proudie's relationship after discussing the wardenship in Chapter 26?
6. When the Proudies announce they are having a party in Chapter 10, what are some of the concerns their guests feel?
7. How does Bertie act at the Proudie's party in Chapter 11?
8. In Chapter 2, what does the bill Parliament passes mean to Hiram's Hospital?
9. How does Miss Thorne show that she is behind the times while having lunch with Mr. Arabin, the Archdeacon, and Eleanor?
10. Describe Mr. Slope's sermon in Chapter 6.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eleanor is used by several characters. Who tries to use Eleanor to meet their own ends? How do they do this and what are the results? What does Eleanor represent in the novel? Why is it significant that no one successfully uses Eleanor for their own gain? What is Eleanor's purpose in "Barchester Towers"?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of "Barchester Towers" it appears that all the characters have happy endings. What is significant about the ending of this novel? How does this close the conflict between the conservative and liberal factions of the church? What has been resolved in regards to the church vs. the government? How is it possible for all the characters to have happy endings?
Essay Topic 3
The signora seems to live to seduce men and do little else. Examine the signora as a catalyst for the other characters. Choose four characters and explain how the signora impacted them. What is ironic about her character? What makes her deeper than she originally seems?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)