|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Slope learn about Eleanor when he is visiting Mr. Quiverful?
2. What does Eleanor do when Mr. Slope asks her if she will marry Mr. Slope?
3. How does Mr. Arabin feel when he stays with the Archdeacon?
4. In Chapter 15, what does Charlotte try to convince Bertie to do?
5. Who enjoys meeting the signora?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the Proudies announce they are having a party in Chapter 10, what are some of the concerns their guests feel?
2. How does Mr. Arabin discover that he is in love with Eleanor?
3. Describe Mr. Slope's sermon in Chapter 6.
4. What role does Mr. Slope play in the Proudie's discussion of the wardenship position in Chapters 25 and 26?
5. What does the Archdeacon tell Eleanor about her relationship with Mr. Slope?
6. What does the Archdeacon discover when he does research following Mr. Slope's sermon?
7. What does the Archdeacon plan to do in terms of the wardenship at the end of Chapter 18?
8. What do the Proudies, Mr. Slope, and the Archdeacon debate during their meeting in Chapter 5?
9. How does Mr. Slope run his church?
10. How are the Thornes contrasted with the clergy of Barchester?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"? Who has more power at what times? How is their power intertwined? What does Trollope say about the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"?
Essay Topic 2
"Barchester Towers" makes reference to Greek and Roman mythology. Examine the use of this as a symbolic device. Why does the author select these myths? How are they used? What do they reflect? Please reference specific myths used in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Slope fought for power throughout "Barchester Towers". Follow the development of Mr. Slope and describe each of his attempts to gain power. How does Mr. Slope try to become more powerful? How does he respond to power? What is symbolic about Mr. Slope's attempts to gain power? How does his end in this novel relate to his behavior?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)