|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Quiverful tell Mrs. Proudie about that makes Mrs. Proudie want to help her?
2. Who enjoys meeting the signora?
3. Who does Eleanor begin to befriend in Chapter 21?
4. What does the Archdeacon feel he represents?
5. When it comes to the wardenship, who does the Bishop agree with at the end of Chapter 26?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Arabin discover that he is in love with Eleanor?
2. Describe Mr. Slope's sermon in Chapter 6.
3. What does Mr. Slope write in his letter to Eleanor in Chapter 27?
4. When the Proudies announce they are having a party in Chapter 10, what are some of the concerns their guests feel?
5. What does the Archdeacon plan to do in terms of the wardenship at the end of Chapter 18?
6. In Chapter 2, what does the bill Parliament passes mean to Hiram's Hospital?
7. What happens to Mr. Slope and Mrs. Proudie's relationship after discussing the wardenship in Chapter 26?
8. Describe Mr. Arabin's history with religion.
9. How does Eleanor's family react to the letter from Mr. Slope?
10. In Chapter 16, what role does Mrs. Proudie play in filling the wardenship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follow the relationship between Mrs. Proudie and Mr. Slope from beginning to end. Why are they friends? What are they trying to accomplish? How do they work together and how do they work against each other? What symbols does Trollope use to describe their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"? Who has more power at what times? How is their power intertwined? What does Trollope say about the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this novel often traveled between London and Barchester. Who resides in which city? What takes place in each city? What does each city represent? Compare and contrast the cities and explain their roles in the development of the characters, plot, and conflict between liberal and conservative factions of the church.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)