|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eleanor do in the morning at the end of Chapter 29?
2. What do the Proudies do when they return from London in Chapter 10?
3. Who is first in the Harding family to learn that Dr. Harding has the wardenship?
4. Who does Mr. Slope visit in Chapter 8?
5. How many children do the Stanhopes have?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mrs. Proudie visits Mr. Slope in Chapter 17, what things does she tell him?
2. How does Eleanor's family react to the letter from Mr. Slope?
3. Explain the relationship of power between Dr. Proudie, Mrs. Proudie, and Mr. Slope as described in Chapter 3.
4. When the Proudies announce they are having a party in Chapter 10, what are some of the concerns their guests feel?
5. In Chapter 16, what role does Mrs. Proudie play in filling the wardenship?
6. What does the Archdeacon tell Eleanor about her relationship with Mr. Slope?
7. How does Mr. Arabin discover that he is in love with Eleanor?
8. What happens in Chapter 15 in regards to Mr. Slope and his role in filling the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
9. What happens when Mr. Slope visits with Eleanor Bold and Susan Grantly?
10. In Chapter 2, what does the bill Parliament passes mean to Hiram's Hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Follow the relationship between Mrs. Proudie and Mr. Slope from beginning to end. Why are they friends? What are they trying to accomplish? How do they work together and how do they work against each other? What symbols does Trollope use to describe their relationship?
Essay Topic 2
Eleanor is used by several characters. Who tries to use Eleanor to meet their own ends? How do they do this and what are the results? What does Eleanor represent in the novel? Why is it significant that no one successfully uses Eleanor for their own gain? What is Eleanor's purpose in "Barchester Towers"?
Essay Topic 3
What do the Stanhopes represent in the church? Describe their story and explain what role they play in the conflict between the conservative and liberal factions of the church. Be sure to comment on each member of the Stanhope family.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)