|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Archdeacon feel he represents?
2. For Mr. Arabin's first sermon, where do the Archdeacon and Eleanor have lunch with Mr. Arabin?
3. Who gets the job of preaching at St. Ewolds?
4. How does Eleanor Harding feel about Mr. Slope's proposed Sunday school?
5. How does Mrs. Proudie feel after her visit with Mrs. Quiverful in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the evening at the Stanhopes in Chapter 19 complicated for Mr. Slope?
2. What does Mr. Slope write in his letter to Eleanor in Chapter 27?
3. When Mrs. Proudie visits Mr. Slope in Chapter 17, what things does she tell him?
4. What role does Mr. Slope play in the Proudie's discussion of the wardenship position in Chapters 25 and 26?
5. What surprises Eleanor about Mr. Arabin when they talk in Chapter 21?
6. In Chapter 12, what changes does Mr. Slope suggest for Hiram's Hospital?
7. What happens to Mr. Slope and Mrs. Proudie's relationship after discussing the wardenship in Chapter 26?
8. What happens in Chapter 15 in regards to Mr. Slope and his role in filling the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
9. How does Miss Thorne show that she is behind the times while having lunch with Mr. Arabin, the Archdeacon, and Eleanor?
10. Describe Mr. Arabin's history with religion.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do the Stanhopes represent in the church? Describe their story and explain what role they play in the conflict between the conservative and liberal factions of the church. Be sure to comment on each member of the Stanhope family.
Essay Topic 2
"Barchester Towers" makes reference to Greek and Roman mythology. Examine the use of this as a symbolic device. Why does the author select these myths? How are they used? What do they reflect? Please reference specific myths used in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Follow the relationship between Mrs. Proudie and Mr. Slope from beginning to end. Why are they friends? What are they trying to accomplish? How do they work together and how do they work against each other? What symbols does Trollope use to describe their relationship?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)