|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When it comes to the wardenship, who does the Bishop agree with at the end of Chapter 26?
2. Who enjoys meeting the signora?
3. What makes the Archdeacon feel that Eleanor has disgraced herself?
4. How is Mr. Arabin described in terms of his religion?
5. Who gets to select the warden of Hiram's Hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in Chapter 15 in regards to Mr. Slope and his role in filling the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
2. How does Mr. Slope run his church?
3. What does the Archdeacon plan to do in terms of the wardenship at the end of Chapter 18?
4. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
5. When Mr. Slope visits in Chapter 46, what does the signora do to scare him away?
6. Why does the Archdeacon give everyone gifts on the day of Mr. Arabin and Eleanor's wedding?
7. What makes the gathering at the Thorne estate in Chapter 33 complicated for Eleanor?
8. Describe Mr. Slope's sermon in Chapter 6.
9. What happens when Mr. Slope visits with Eleanor Bold and Susan Grantly?
10. Describe Mr. Arabin's history with religion.
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this novel often traveled between London and Barchester. Who resides in which city? What takes place in each city? What does each city represent? Compare and contrast the cities and explain their roles in the development of the characters, plot, and conflict between liberal and conservative factions of the church.
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"? Who has more power at what times? How is their power intertwined? What does Trollope say about the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"?
Essay Topic 3
"Barchester Towers" is centered on the conflict of traditional vs. progressive religion. Summarize each side and the characters that support it. How is each side depicted in this novel, how do they clash, and what is the resolution?
This section contains 1,635 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)