|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who agrees with Mr. Slope's opinions of the warden position in Chapter 12?
2. How are the Archdeacon and Mr. Harding alike?
3. Who is first in the Harding family to learn that Dr. Harding has the wardenship?
4. In Chapter 6, what does the Archdeacon feel the church of Barchester needs?
5. What does Mr. Slope learn about Eleanor when he is visiting Mr. Quiverful?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what does the bill Parliament passes mean to Hiram's Hospital?
2. How does Miss Thorne show that she is behind the times while having lunch with Mr. Arabin, the Archdeacon, and Eleanor?
3. How does Bertie act at the Proudie's party in Chapter 11?
4. What does the Archdeacon plan to do in terms of the wardenship at the end of Chapter 18?
5. What does the Archdeacon tell Eleanor about her relationship with Mr. Slope?
6. Briefly describe the Stanhope's children.
7. In Chapter 1, what makes finding a new Bishop complicated?
8. In Chapter 16, what role does Mrs. Proudie play in filling the wardenship?
9. What surprises Eleanor about Mr. Arabin when they talk in Chapter 21?
10. How does Eleanor's family react to the letter from Mr. Slope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How could "Barchester Towers" be considered a romantic comedy? What characters are involved and what are their plot lines? How does this reflect the romantic comedies of our time? What is similar or dissimilar?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the upper classes of Barchester to the lower classes. What represents the divide? How does each respond to the conflicts happening in the church? What happens at the Thornes' party? How does this novel feel about the class divide?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of "Barchester Towers" it appears that all the characters have happy endings. What is significant about the ending of this novel? How does this close the conflict between the conservative and liberal factions of the church? What has been resolved in regards to the church vs. the government? How is it possible for all the characters to have happy endings?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)