|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Slope feel he will have power in Barchester?
2. How does Mr. Arabin feel about reform in the church?
3. What angers Mrs. Proudie at the party in Chapter 11?
4. Where does the Proudie family prefer to live?
5. In Chapter 17, what does Mrs. Proudie tell Mr. Slope her role is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are the Thornes contrasted with the clergy of Barchester?
2. What happens in Chapter 15 in regards to Mr. Slope and his role in filling the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
3. How do Dr. Harding and Eleanor respond to each other when they discuss Sunday school in Chapter 13?
4. How does Mr. Arabin discover that he is in love with Eleanor?
5. Describe Mr. Arabin's history with religion.
6. In Chapter 24, what happens between Mr. Slope and Mr. Quiverful in regards to the wardenship?
7. What makes the evening at the Stanhopes in Chapter 19 complicated for Mr. Slope?
8. In Chapter 1, what makes finding a new Bishop complicated?
9. Describe Mr. Slope's sermon in Chapter 6.
10. How does Mr. Slope run his church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The signora seems to live to seduce men and do little else. Examine the signora as a catalyst for the other characters. Choose four characters and explain how the signora impacted them. What is ironic about her character? What makes her deeper than she originally seems?
Essay Topic 2
"Barchester Towers" is considered to be written in the style of realism. Describe this movement of literature and what makes this novel a good example of realism. What makes the novel not fit into the description of realism?
Essay Topic 3
Eleanor is used by several characters. Who tries to use Eleanor to meet their own ends? How do they do this and what are the results? What does Eleanor represent in the novel? Why is it significant that no one successfully uses Eleanor for their own gain? What is Eleanor's purpose in "Barchester Towers"?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)