|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, how are Mr. Slope's religious beliefs described?
2. In Chapter 7, what do the townspeople of Barchester think about Mr. Slope?
3. In Chapter 17, what does Mrs. Proudie tell Mr. Slope her role is?
4. In Chapter 24, who does the Archdeacon ask for help with the wardenship?
5. What do the men do when Dr. Harding and Eleanor visit the Archdeacon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Harding learn about the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14, and how does he respond?
2. Why does Dr. Harding feel he is a poor candidate for the deanery?
3. What happens in Chapter 15 in regards to Mr. Slope and his role in filling the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
4. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
5. In Chapter 24, what happens between Mr. Slope and Mr. Quiverful in regards to the wardenship?
6. What does the game of quintain mean to the Thornes?
7. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
8. What happens when Mr. Arabin tells Mrs. Grantly about his engagement?
9. How does Eleanor's family react to the letter from Mr. Slope?
10. Why does Mr. Arabin talk to the signora at the Thorne's party?
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"? Who has more power at what times? How is their power intertwined? What does Trollope say about the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between the Bishop and his wife. How is power reflected in the couple? How do they impact the other characters and the plot of "Barchester Towers"? What makes their relationship fit in with the themes of power struggle and conflict? Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this novel often traveled between London and Barchester. Who resides in which city? What takes place in each city? What does each city represent? Compare and contrast the cities and explain their roles in the development of the characters, plot, and conflict between liberal and conservative factions of the church.
This section contains 1,666 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)