|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the church leadership do after Mr. Slope's sermon?
2. What does the Archdeacon feel he represents?
3. What do the men do when Dr. Harding and Eleanor visit the Archdeacon?
4. In Chapter 16, what causes a rift in Mr. Slope's relationship with Mrs. Proudie?
5. In Chapter 4, how are Mr. Slope's religious beliefs described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Slope visits with Eleanor Bold and Susan Grantly?
2. What does Mr. Slope write in his letter to Eleanor in Chapter 27?
3. In Chapter 24, what happens between Mr. Slope and Mr. Quiverful in regards to the wardenship?
4. What do the Proudies, Mr. Slope, and the Archdeacon debate during their meeting in Chapter 5?
5. What does Dr. Harding learn about the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14, and how does he respond?
6. In Chapter 16, what role does Mrs. Proudie play in filling the wardenship?
7. How does Bertie act at the Proudie's party in Chapter 11?
8. When Mrs. Proudie visits Mr. Slope in Chapter 17, what things does she tell him?
9. What role does Mr. Slope play in the Proudie's discussion of the wardenship position in Chapters 25 and 26?
10. In Chapter 12, what changes does Mr. Slope suggest for Hiram's Hospital?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The wardenship of Hiram's Hospital was a point of debate between the two factions of the church. What is the wardenship? Why is it so hotly debated? What is symbolic about this position and the hospital? Who would you say is a "casualty" of the wardenship debate, and why? Who wins the debate and what exactly do they win?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the social changes taking place during "Barchester Towers". How do the characters respond to these changes? Which changes "win" in the novel, and why? What is Trollope trying to say about this period in time?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between the Bishop and his wife. How is power reflected in the couple? How do they impact the other characters and the plot of "Barchester Towers"? What makes their relationship fit in with the themes of power struggle and conflict? Use specific examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)