Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 4, how are Mr. Slope's religious beliefs described?
2. In Chapter 7, what do the townspeople of Barchester think about Mr. Slope?
3. In Chapter 17, what does Mrs. Proudie tell Mr. Slope her role is?
4. In Chapter 24, who does the Archdeacon ask for help with the wardenship?
5. What do the men do when Dr. Harding and Eleanor visit the Archdeacon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Harding learn about the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14, and how does he respond?
2. Why does Dr. Harding feel he is a poor candidate for the deanery?
3. What happens in Chapter 15 in regards to Mr. Slope and his role in filling the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
4. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
5. In Chapter 24, what happens between Mr. Slope and Mr. Quiverful in regards to the wardenship?
6. What does the game of quintain mean to the Thornes?
7. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
8. What happens when Mr. Arabin tells Mrs. Grantly about his engagement?
9. How does Eleanor's family react to the letter from Mr. Slope?
10. Why does Mr. Arabin talk to the signora at the Thorne's party?
Essay Topic 1
How does Trollope use the Lookalofts to make a social commentary? What is he saying about the people of Barchester? How do other characters' interactions with the Lookalofts add to his commentary? What makes this a significant and useful device?
Essay Topic 2
The characters of "Barchester Towers" love to spread rumors. Discuss three rumors that were featured in this novel. Summarize the rumor and reflect on the affect the rumor had on the characters and plot development. What does the author seem to be saying about rumors?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of "Barchester Towers" it appears that all the characters have happy endings. What is significant about the ending of this novel? How does this close the conflict between the conservative and liberal factions of the church? What has been resolved in regards to the church vs. the government? How is it possible for all the characters to have happy endings?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)