|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Bishop confronts Mrs. Proudie about the position of warden, what happens?
2. Where is Mr. Slope a tutor?
3. How does Eleanor take part in a discussion about Mr. Slope with Mrs. Grantly?
4. In Chapter 2, what makes Dr. Harding scandalous?
5. What does Mrs. Quiverful tell Mrs. Proudie about that makes Mrs. Proudie want to help her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Slope run his church?
2. Why doesn't Eleanor want to tell the Archdeacon about her engagement to Mr. Arabin?
3. What does the Archdeacon tell Eleanor about her relationship with Mr. Slope?
4. In Chapter 1, what makes finding a new Bishop complicated?
5. How do the Lookalofts go against the wishes of the Thornes at their party?
6. In Chapter 45, why do Bertie and his father argue and what is the result?
7. When Mrs. Proudie visits Mr. Slope in Chapter 17, what things does she tell him?
8. What does the Archdeacon convince Dr. Harding to do in Chapter 47?
9. What do the Proudies, Mr. Slope, and the Archdeacon debate during their meeting in Chapter 5?
10. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this novel often traveled between London and Barchester. Who resides in which city? What takes place in each city? What does each city represent? Compare and contrast the cities and explain their roles in the development of the characters, plot, and conflict between liberal and conservative factions of the church.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the upper classes of Barchester to the lower classes. What represents the divide? How does each respond to the conflicts happening in the church? What happens at the Thornes' party? How does this novel feel about the class divide?
Essay Topic 3
How could "Barchester Towers" be considered a romantic comedy? What characters are involved and what are their plot lines? How does this reflect the romantic comedies of our time? What is similar or dissimilar?
This section contains 1,668 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)