|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed about Mr. Slope and the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14?
2. Who is Dr. Proudie most associated with?
3. Why does Mr. Slope discuss the position of warden with Dr. Harding?
4. In Chapter 3, who is described as controlling what Dr. Proudie does?
5. In Chapter 2, what makes Dr. Harding scandalous?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mrs. Proudie visits Mr. Slope in Chapter 17, what things does she tell him?
2. What happens in Chapter 15 in regards to Mr. Slope and his role in filling the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
3. Explain the relationship of power between Dr. Proudie, Mrs. Proudie, and Mr. Slope as described in Chapter 3.
4. In Chapter 12, what changes does Mr. Slope suggest for Hiram's Hospital?
5. How does Mr. Arabin discover that he is in love with Eleanor?
6. What role does Mr. Slope play in the Proudie's discussion of the wardenship position in Chapters 25 and 26?
7. What does the Archdeacon discover when he does research following Mr. Slope's sermon?
8. What does the Archdeacon tell Eleanor about her relationship with Mr. Slope?
9. Describe Mr. Slope's sermon in Chapter 6.
10. In Chapter 1, what makes finding a new Bishop complicated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Barchester Towers" is considered to be written in the style of realism. Describe this movement of literature and what makes this novel a good example of realism. What makes the novel not fit into the description of realism?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of "Barchester Towers" it appears that all the characters have happy endings. What is significant about the ending of this novel? How does this close the conflict between the conservative and liberal factions of the church? What has been resolved in regards to the church vs. the government? How is it possible for all the characters to have happy endings?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the social changes taking place during "Barchester Towers". How do the characters respond to these changes? Which changes "win" in the novel, and why? What is Trollope trying to say about this period in time?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)