|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the Archdeacon and Mr. Harding alike?
2. In Chapter 7, what do the townspeople of Barchester think about Mr. Slope?
3. How does Eleanor Harding feel about Mr. Slope's proposed Sunday school?
4. Who does Mr. Slope visit in Chapter 8?
5. What do the Proudies do when they return from London in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does Mr. Slope play in the Proudie's discussion of the wardenship position in Chapters 25 and 26?
2. What happens in Chapter 15 in regards to Mr. Slope and his role in filling the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
3. In Chapter 2, what does the bill Parliament passes mean to Hiram's Hospital?
4. What does the Archdeacon plan to do in terms of the wardenship at the end of Chapter 18?
5. What surprises Eleanor about Mr. Arabin when they talk in Chapter 21?
6. In Chapter 1, what makes finding a new Bishop complicated?
7. What does Mr. Slope write in his letter to Eleanor in Chapter 27?
8. When Mrs. Proudie visits Mr. Slope in Chapter 17, what things does she tell him?
9. How do Dr. Harding and Eleanor respond to each other when they discuss Sunday school in Chapter 13?
10. Briefly describe the Stanhope's children.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"? Who has more power at what times? How is their power intertwined? What does Trollope say about the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"?
Essay Topic 2
The church has a great deal of power and a strict organization of that power. Describe the different levels of church officials and how they relate to each other. What characters try to gain power and how do they do this? Who is successful and why do you think they are? What is the author trying to say about power in the church?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this novel often traveled between London and Barchester. Who resides in which city? What takes place in each city? What does each city represent? Compare and contrast the cities and explain their roles in the development of the characters, plot, and conflict between liberal and conservative factions of the church.
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)