|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Arabin meet at a party at the Stanhope's in Chapter 24?
2. What do the men do when Dr. Harding and Eleanor visit the Archdeacon?
3. What does Eleanor do when Mr. Slope asks her if she will marry Mr. Slope?
4. Why does Madeleine, "the signora", arrive late in Chapter 10?
5. How does Mrs. Proudie feel after her visit with Mrs. Quiverful in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Archdeacon tell Eleanor about her relationship with Mr. Slope?
2. In Chapter 24, what happens between Mr. Slope and Mr. Quiverful in regards to the wardenship?
3. How does Bertie act at the Proudie's party in Chapter 11?
4. What makes the evening at the Stanhopes in Chapter 19 complicated for Mr. Slope?
5. How do Dr. Harding and Eleanor respond to each other when they discuss Sunday school in Chapter 13?
6. What does Mr. Slope write in his letter to Eleanor in Chapter 27?
7. When Mrs. Proudie visits Mr. Slope in Chapter 17, what things does she tell him?
8. How does Miss Thorne show that she is behind the times while having lunch with Mr. Arabin, the Archdeacon, and Eleanor?
9. What does the Archdeacon plan to do in terms of the wardenship at the end of Chapter 18?
10. What does the Archdeacon discover when he does research following Mr. Slope's sermon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The church has a great deal of power and a strict organization of that power. Describe the different levels of church officials and how they relate to each other. What characters try to gain power and how do they do this? Who is successful and why do you think they are? What is the author trying to say about power in the church?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of "Barchester Towers" it appears that all the characters have happy endings. What is significant about the ending of this novel? How does this close the conflict between the conservative and liberal factions of the church? What has been resolved in regards to the church vs. the government? How is it possible for all the characters to have happy endings?
Essay Topic 3
The characters in this novel often traveled between London and Barchester. Who resides in which city? What takes place in each city? What does each city represent? Compare and contrast the cities and explain their roles in the development of the characters, plot, and conflict between liberal and conservative factions of the church.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)