|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who enjoys meeting the signora?
2. In Chapter 6, what does the Archdeacon feel the church of Barchester needs?
3. Who agrees with Mr. Slope's opinions of the warden position in Chapter 12?
4. How does Mrs. Quiverful get to the Proudie's?
5. How does Mr. Arabin respond when he hears that Eleanor might marry Mr. Slope?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mrs. Proudie visits Mr. Slope in Chapter 17, what things does she tell him?
2. What do the Proudies, Mr. Slope, and the Archdeacon debate during their meeting in Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 2, what does the bill Parliament passes mean to Hiram's Hospital?
4. How does Bertie act at the Proudie's party in Chapter 11?
5. What happens in Chapter 15 in regards to Mr. Slope and his role in filling the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
6. What does the Archdeacon tell Eleanor about her relationship with Mr. Slope?
7. In Chapter 1, what makes finding a new Bishop complicated?
8. What does the Archdeacon plan to do in terms of the wardenship at the end of Chapter 18?
9. Explain the relationship of power between Dr. Proudie, Mrs. Proudie, and Mr. Slope as described in Chapter 3.
10. What does Dr. Harding learn about the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14, and how does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Barchester Towers" is centered on the conflict of traditional vs. progressive religion. Summarize each side and the characters that support it. How is each side depicted in this novel, how do they clash, and what is the resolution?
Essay Topic 2
How does Trollope use the Lookalofts to make a social commentary? What is he saying about the people of Barchester? How do other characters' interactions with the Lookalofts add to his commentary? What makes this a significant and useful device?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"? Who has more power at what times? How is their power intertwined? What does Trollope say about the relationship between the church and the government in "Barchester Towers"?
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)