|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Slope learn about Eleanor when he is visiting Mr. Quiverful?
2. How does the author describe the Thornes?
3. Where is Mr. Slope a tutor?
4. What does Eleanor think when Mr. Slope comes to visit her to show his support for her father as warden?
5. What makes the Archdeacon feel that Eleanor has disgraced herself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship of power between Dr. Proudie, Mrs. Proudie, and Mr. Slope as described in Chapter 3.
2. What does Mr. Slope write in his letter to Eleanor in Chapter 27?
3. In Chapter 2, what does the bill Parliament passes mean to Hiram's Hospital?
4. What happens in Chapter 15 in regards to Mr. Slope and his role in filling the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
5. How does Miss Thorne show that she is behind the times while having lunch with Mr. Arabin, the Archdeacon, and Eleanor?
6. In Chapter 24, what happens between Mr. Slope and Mr. Quiverful in regards to the wardenship?
7. When the Proudies announce they are having a party in Chapter 10, what are some of the concerns their guests feel?
8. What surprises Eleanor about Mr. Arabin when they talk in Chapter 21?
9. How does Mr. Arabin discover that he is in love with Eleanor?
10. How does Bertie act at the Proudie's party in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The signora seems to live to seduce men and do little else. Examine the signora as a catalyst for the other characters. Choose four characters and explain how the signora impacted them. What is ironic about her character? What makes her deeper than she originally seems?
Essay Topic 2
Eleanor is used by several characters. Who tries to use Eleanor to meet their own ends? How do they do this and what are the results? What does Eleanor represent in the novel? Why is it significant that no one successfully uses Eleanor for their own gain? What is Eleanor's purpose in "Barchester Towers"?
Essay Topic 3
The wardenship of Hiram's Hospital was a point of debate between the two factions of the church. What is the wardenship? Why is it so hotly debated? What is symbolic about this position and the hospital? Who would you say is a "casualty" of the wardenship debate, and why? Who wins the debate and what exactly do they win?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)