|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When it comes to the wardenship, who does the Bishop agree with at the end of Chapter 26?
2. Who enjoys meeting the signora?
3. What makes Mr. Slope's relationship with the signora complicated?
4. How does Mr. Arabin feel about reform in the church?
5. Who agrees with Mr. Slope's opinions of the warden position in Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
2. Why doesn't Eleanor want to tell the Archdeacon about her engagement to Mr. Arabin?
3. What does the Archdeacon tell Eleanor about her relationship with Mr. Slope?
4. How does Mrs. Proudie try to humiliate Mr. Slope in Chapter 51?
5. In Chapter 2, what does the bill Parliament passes mean to Hiram's Hospital?
6. How does Eleanor respond when Mr. Slope follows her at the Thorne's party?
7. What does the Archdeacon discover when he does research following Mr. Slope's sermon?
8. When the Archdeacon runs into Mrs. Quiverful in Chapter 50, what does he say to her?
9. In Chapter 24, what happens between Mr. Slope and Mr. Quiverful in regards to the wardenship?
10. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Slope fought for power throughout "Barchester Towers". Follow the development of Mr. Slope and describe each of his attempts to gain power. How does Mr. Slope try to become more powerful? How does he respond to power? What is symbolic about Mr. Slope's attempts to gain power? How does his end in this novel relate to his behavior?
Essay Topic 2
The church has a great deal of power and a strict organization of that power. Describe the different levels of church officials and how they relate to each other. What characters try to gain power and how do they do this? Who is successful and why do you think they are? What is the author trying to say about power in the church?
Essay Topic 3
Follow the relationship between Mrs. Proudie and Mr. Slope from beginning to end. Why are they friends? What are they trying to accomplish? How do they work together and how do they work against each other? What symbols does Trollope use to describe their relationship?
This section contains 1,638 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)