|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children do the Stanhopes have?
2. In Chapter 17, who does Mrs. Proudie want for the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
3. Why does Madeleine, "the signora", arrive late in Chapter 10?
4. Who does Mr. Slope visit to discuss the wardenship in Chapter 24?
5. In Chapter 7, what do the townspeople of Barchester think about Mr. Slope?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Slope write in his letter to Eleanor in Chapter 27?
2. When the Proudies announce they are having a party in Chapter 10, what are some of the concerns their guests feel?
3. What makes the evening at the Stanhopes in Chapter 19 complicated for Mr. Slope?
4. What happens when Mr. Slope visits with Eleanor Bold and Susan Grantly?
5. What role does Mr. Slope play in the Proudie's discussion of the wardenship position in Chapters 25 and 26?
6. What do the Proudies, Mr. Slope, and the Archdeacon debate during their meeting in Chapter 5?
7. What does Dr. Harding learn about the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14, and how does he respond?
8. How does Mr. Slope run his church?
9. What does the Archdeacon discover when he does research following Mr. Slope's sermon?
10. What does the Archdeacon tell Eleanor about her relationship with Mr. Slope?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The church has a great deal of power and a strict organization of that power. Describe the different levels of church officials and how they relate to each other. What characters try to gain power and how do they do this? Who is successful and why do you think they are? What is the author trying to say about power in the church?
Essay Topic 2
What do the Stanhopes represent in the church? Describe their story and explain what role they play in the conflict between the conservative and liberal factions of the church. Be sure to comment on each member of the Stanhope family.
Essay Topic 3
Follow the relationship between Mrs. Proudie and Mr. Slope from beginning to end. Why are they friends? What are they trying to accomplish? How do they work together and how do they work against each other? What symbols does Trollope use to describe their relationship?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)