|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the Bishop visit with the Archbishop to discuss the deanery?
(c) The Thorne estate.
2. What does the signora tell Eleanor at their meeting?
(a) That Mr. Slope loves her.
(b) That Bertie loves her.
(c) That Dr. Stanhope loves her.
(d) That Mr. Arabin loves her.
3. Who does Dr. Harding suggest for the deanery?
(a) Mr. Stanhope.
(b) Mr. Slope.
(c) Mr. Arabin.
(d) Miss Thorne.
4. How does the Bishop treat Mr. Slope at the Thorne's party?
(a) The Bishop hits Mr. Slope.
(b) The Bishop slights Mr. Slope.
(c) The Bishop mocks Mr. Slope.
(d) The Bishop is kind to Mr. Slope.
5. Who is suggested to Eleanor as a person to defend her honor?
(a) The Bishop.
(c) Dr. Harding.
(d) Mr. Arabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the Thorne's party, what happens to the son of one of their tenants?
2. In Chapter 33, who is Eleanor anxious to forgive?
3. What does Bertie do as his father yells at him after the Thornes' party?
4. How long does Miss Thorne think it will take for Mr. Arabin to propose to Eleanor?
5. What does Mr. Slope want to do before word gets out about the Bishop's appointment of wardenship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes the gathering at the Thorne estate in Chapter 33 complicated for Eleanor?
2. Why does the Archdeacon give everyone gifts on the day of Mr. Arabin and Eleanor's wedding?
3. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
4. What does Eleanor tell her father after the Thorne's party?
5. How does Eleanor describe her love for Mr. Arabin in Chapter 49?
6. What role does Dr. Harding play in helping Mr. Arabin become Dean?
7. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
8. Why doesn't Eleanor want to tell the Archdeacon about her engagement to Mr. Arabin?
9. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
10. What things does Mr. Arabin do when he goes to London in Chapter 34?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)