|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Mr. Arabin's new job as Dean toasted?
(a) With champagne.
(b) With a quiet dinner.
(c) With a trip to Plumstead.
(d) With bumpers of claret.
2. How many possible candidates for the deanery does the Prime Minister consider?
3. How does the Archdeacon describe Eleanor and Mr. Arabin?
(a) Sneaky foxes.
(b) Sly young turtle doves.
(c) Faithful old dogs.
(d) Confused cats wandering aimlessly.
4. Who does Mr. Slope discuss the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral with in Chapter 32?
(a) The current Dean of Barchester Cathedral.
(b) The Archdeacon.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) The Archbishop.
5. What does Eleanor explain to her father at the Thorne's party?
(a) That she wants reform in the church.
(b) That she wants to move away.
(c) That she didn't want to come in the first place.
(d) That she does not like Mr. Slope.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Mr. Arabin and Eleanor to announce their engagement?
2. What does Charlotte try to convince her father to do in Chapter 45?
3. Where does Bertie leave for?
4. Who writes Eleanor a letter in Chapter 44?
5. Who says: "I like everything old-fashioned"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Harding feel he is a poor candidate for the deanery?
2. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
3. How does Eleanor respond when Mr. Slope follows her at the Thorne's party?
4. What does Bertie do instead of proposing marriage to Eleanor?
5. Why doesn't Eleanor want to tell the Archdeacon about her engagement to Mr. Arabin?
6. Why does the Archdeacon give everyone gifts on the day of Mr. Arabin and Eleanor's wedding?
7. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
8. What does the Archdeacon convince Dr. Harding to do in Chapter 47?
9. Why do the conservatives of Barchester fear that Mr. Slope will become the next Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
10. What does the game of quintain mean to the Thornes?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)