|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the Archdeacon believe that Eleanor will marry Mr. Arabin?
(a) Because he didn't think the signora would allow it.
(b) Because he thinks they are a poor match.
(c) Because he thinks she will marry Mr. Slope.
(d) Because Mr. Arabin told him otherwise.
2. What game does Mrs. Thorne want to play at the party?
(d) Tic Tac Toe.
3. What does Mr. Slope plan to do at the Thorne's party?
(a) Leave early.
(b) Announce that he is the new Dean of Barchester Cathedral.
(c) Confess his feelings for the signora.
(d) Ask Eleanor to marry him.
4. How many possible candidates for the deanery does the Prime Minister consider?
5. What makes Miss Thorne want to set up Mr. Arabin and Eleanor?
(a) Rumors about Mr. Arabin and the signora.
(b) She hopes Eleanor will give her money.
(c) Eleanor asks for her help.
(d) She is bored.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Bishop treat Mr. Slope at the Thorne's party?
2. What does the signora tell Eleanor at their meeting?
3. In Chapter 32, who does the Bishop decide to give the wardenship to?
4. Where does Miss Thorne invite Mr. Arabin and Eleanor?
5. What makes Mr. Arabin angry at the Thorne's party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What things does Mr. Arabin do when he goes to London in Chapter 34?
2. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
3. How does Eleanor describe her love for Mr. Arabin in Chapter 49?
4. What does Bertie do instead of proposing marriage to Eleanor?
5. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
6. How does Mrs. Proudie try to humiliate Mr. Slope in Chapter 51?
7. What does the Archdeacon convince Dr. Harding to do in Chapter 47?
8. What role does Dr. Harding play in helping Mr. Arabin become Dean?
9. What happens when Mr. Arabin tells Mrs. Grantly about his engagement?
10. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)