|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Mr. Arabin angry at the Thorne's party?
(a) Seeing Eleanor arrive with Mr. Slope.
(b) The food wasn't what he expected.
(c) Learning he might have a new job.
(d) The presence of the Lookalofts.
2. How does the Bishop treat Mr. Slope at the Thorne's party?
(a) The Bishop slights Mr. Slope.
(b) The Bishop is kind to Mr. Slope.
(c) The Bishop hits Mr. Slope.
(d) The Bishop mocks Mr. Slope.
3. How does Miss Thorne feel about her matchmaking plan?
4. What does Mr. Slope want to do before word gets out about the Bishop's appointment of wardenship?
(a) Stop the appointment.
(b) Visit London.
(c) Write the signora.
(d) Ask Eleanor to marry him.
5. Where does Bertie leave for?
(a) Eleanor's house.
(c) The Thorne estate.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eleanor feel about her father's offer of the deanery?
2. Where does the Archbishop live?
3. Who goes to Oxford to talk Dr. Gwynne into supporting Mr. Arabin for Dean?
4. Who supports Mr. Slope in his quest for the deanery?
5. How is Mr. Arabin's new job as Dean toasted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Eleanor want to tell the Archdeacon about her engagement to Mr. Arabin?
2. Why does Dr. Harding feel he is a poor candidate for the deanery?
3. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
4. What does the Archdeacon convince Dr. Harding to do in Chapter 47?
5. What does Eleanor tell her father after the Thorne's party?
6. What things does Mr. Arabin do when he goes to London in Chapter 34?
7. Why does Dr. Harding visit Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 52?
8. Why does the Archdeacon give everyone gifts on the day of Mr. Arabin and Eleanor's wedding?
9. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
10. How do the Lookalofts go against the wishes of the Thornes at their party?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)