|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Slope lose some of his favoritism in the quest for the deanery?
(a) He spent too much time with the signora.
(b) He spoke against the cathedral.
(c) He gave another poor sermon.
(d) He did not go to the cathedral.
2. How does Dr. Harding respond to the news of Eleanor's engagement?
(a) He is shocked and excited.
(b) He is nervous and upset.
(c) He is pleased and calm.
(d) He is angry and confused.
3. What does the Archdeacon tell Mr. Arabin about his wedding?
(a) He says that a good wedding takes place in winter.
(b) He says he wants to perform the service.
(c) He says it's a bad idea.
(d) He doesn't mention the wedding.
4. Who says they were "never so happy in their (lives)"?
(a) Mr. Slope.
(b) The Bishop.
(c) Dr. Harding.
(d) The Archdeacon.
5. Where is Mr. Slope planning on working?
(a) A church in London.
(b) At Mr. Quiverful's old church.
(c) At Hiram's Hospital.
(d) At a newspaper in London.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bertie do as his father yells at him after the Thornes' party?
2. Who does the Archbishop feel is capable of being Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
3. When Eleanor returns to Barchester, what has happened to the Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
4. Who does Eleanor want to move in with her?
5. During the Thorne's party, what happens to the son of one of their tenants?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Bertie do instead of proposing marriage to Eleanor?
2. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
3. How does Mrs. Proudie try to humiliate Mr. Slope in Chapter 51?
4. Why does the Archdeacon give everyone gifts on the day of Mr. Arabin and Eleanor's wedding?
5. When the Archdeacon runs into Mrs. Quiverful in Chapter 50, what does he say to her?
6. What role does Dr. Harding play in helping Mr. Arabin become Dean?
7. Why does Charlotte suggest Bertie as a good person to defend Eleanor's honor?
8. Why doesn't Eleanor want to tell the Archdeacon about her engagement to Mr. Arabin?
9. Why does Dr. Harding feel he is a poor candidate for the deanery?
10. How does Eleanor describe her love for Mr. Arabin in Chapter 49?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)