|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author compare the end of a novel to?
(a) The end of a long walk.
(b) The end of a children's party.
(c) The end of a train ride.
(d) The end of a poker game.
2. Who is suggested to Eleanor as a person to defend her honor?
(a) The Bishop.
(b) Dr. Harding.
(c) Mr. Arabin.
3. Why doesn't the Archdeacon believe that Eleanor will marry Mr. Arabin?
(a) Because he thinks they are a poor match.
(b) Because Mr. Arabin told him otherwise.
(c) Because he thinks she will marry Mr. Slope.
(d) Because he didn't think the signora would allow it.
4. Where does the Bishop visit with the Archbishop to discuss the deanery?
(a) The Thorne estate.
5. What does Mr. Slope want to do before word gets out about the Bishop's appointment of wardenship?
(a) Write the signora.
(b) Visit London.
(c) Ask Eleanor to marry him.
(d) Stop the appointment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bertie do as his father yells at him after the Thornes' party?
2. How does Mr. Arabin feel when he is asked to become Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
3. What makes Mr. Arabin angry at the Thorne's party?
4. Who does the Archdeacon fear will become the new Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
5. How is Mr. Arabin informed of his position as Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
2. What role does Dr. Harding play in helping Mr. Arabin become Dean?
3. In Chapter 45, why do Bertie and his father argue and what is the result?
4. What makes the gathering at the Thorne estate in Chapter 33 complicated for Eleanor?
5. How do the Lookalofts go against the wishes of the Thornes at their party?
6. What does the Archdeacon convince Dr. Harding to do in Chapter 47?
7. What role does the Prime Minister play in the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
8. Why does Dr. Harding visit Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 52?
9. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
10. What happens when Mr. Arabin tells Mrs. Grantly about his engagement?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)