|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Eleanor run into after leaving the Thornes' party?
(b) Mr. Slope.
(d) Mr. Arabin.
2. How does Dr. Harding respond to the news of Eleanor's engagement?
(a) He is angry and confused.
(b) He is pleased and calm.
(c) He is nervous and upset.
(d) He is shocked and excited.
3. What reason is given to Mr. Slope for his firing?
(a) His relationship with the signora.
(b) His poor sermon.
(c) His harassment of Eleanor.
(d) His lies to gain power.
4. How long does it take Mr. Arabin and Eleanor to announce their engagement?
(a) A few hours.
(b) A few weeks.
(c) A few days.
(d) A few months.
5. After appointing a new warden, how do the Proudies act with each other?
(a) They refused to speak to each other.
(b) They argued for days.
(c) They got along well.
(d) They were shyly pleased.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Grantly have sympathy for her sister, Eleanor?
2. Who does Mr. Arabin meet with in London to discuss his struggle with the Bishop?
3. How many possible candidates for the deanery does the Prime Minister consider?
4. How is Mr. Arabin's new job as Dean toasted?
5. How does Miss Thorne feel about her matchmaking plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the Prime Minister play in the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
2. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
3. What happens to Mr. Slope in London after being fired in Barchester?
4. What does Bertie do instead of proposing marriage to Eleanor?
5. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
6. What things does Mr. Arabin do when he goes to London in Chapter 34?
7. What role does Dr. Harding play in helping Mr. Arabin become Dean?
8. What does Eleanor tell her father after the Thorne's party?
9. What happens in Chapter 39 when the Lookalofts join the upper class party?
10. How do the Lookalofts go against the wishes of the Thornes at their party?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)