|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Mr. Arabin's new job as Dean toasted?
(a) With bumpers of claret.
(b) With a quiet dinner.
(c) With champagne.
(d) With a trip to Plumstead.
2. What article does Mr. Slope threaten to write?
(a) One against Barchester Cathedral.
(b) One in support of the Bishop.
(c) One against Mrs. Proudie.
(d) One in support of Mr. Arabin.
3. Who ends up whispering the name of Mr. Arabin to a "distinguished person" in regards to the deanery?
(a) The Bishop.
(b) The Master of Lazarus.
(c) Dr. Gwynne.
(d) The marquis.
4. When Eleanor returns to Barchester, what has happened to the Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) He has lost his job.
(b) He has had a stroke.
(c) He has left town.
(d) He has challenged the Bishop for his title.
5. Why is Mr. Arabin at the Stanhope house in Chapter 46?
(a) To try to win favor for the deanery.
(b) To confess his love for the signora.
(c) To argue with Mr. Slope.
(d) To talk about Eleanor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Archdeacon give Eleanor as a present on her wedding day?
2. Who thinks Mr. Arabin is disgracing himself by visiting the signora?
3. Where is the party in Chapter 33?
4. Who is appointed warden of Hiram's Hospital?
5. What does the Archdeacon tell Mr. Arabin about his wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Archdeacon convince Dr. Harding to do in Chapter 47?
2. What role does the Prime Minister play in the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
3. How does Eleanor describe her love for Mr. Arabin in Chapter 49?
4. Why doesn't Eleanor want to tell the Archdeacon about her engagement to Mr. Arabin?
5. What does Eleanor tell her father after the Thorne's party?
6. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
7. In Chapter 45, why do Bertie and his father argue and what is the result?
8. Why does the Archdeacon give everyone gifts on the day of Mr. Arabin and Eleanor's wedding?
9. Why does Charlotte suggest Bertie as a good person to defend Eleanor's honor?
10. What happens in Chapter 39 when the Lookalofts join the upper class party?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)