|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Proudie feel that Mr. Slope cannot be Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) Because the Archdeacon is against him.
(b) Because he does not have enough influence.
(c) Because he does not have enough money.
(d) Because his sermons are terrible.
2. Who does Mr. Arabin meet with in London to discuss his struggle with the Bishop?
(a) The Archbishop.
(b) Mr. Slope.
(c) Dr. Gwynne.
(d) Mr. Stanhope.
3. Why does Eleanor wake up early the morning after the engagement?
(a) Because she could not sleep.
(b) Because she was hungry.
(c) Because she wanted to find Miss Thorne.
(d) Because she might run into Mr. Arabin.
4. What makes Mr. Arabin angry at the Thorne's party?
(a) The food wasn't what he expected.
(b) Seeing Eleanor arrive with Mr. Slope.
(c) Learning he might have a new job.
(d) The presence of the Lookalofts.
5. Who is offered the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) Dr. Stanhope.
(b) Dr. Harding.
(c) Mr. Slope.
(d) Mr. Arabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Slope lose some of his favoritism in the quest for the deanery?
2. Who tells the Archdeacon about Eleanor's marriage plans?
3. How does Mr. Slope feel toward Eleanor after declaring his love for her?
4. What game does Mrs. Thorne want to play at the party?
5. What does Mr. Slope plan to do at the Thorne's party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Eleanor want to tell the Archdeacon about her engagement to Mr. Arabin?
2. What does Eleanor tell her father after the Thorne's party?
3. What happens to Mr. Slope in London after being fired in Barchester?
4. How do the Lookalofts go against the wishes of the Thornes at their party?
5. What does Bertie do instead of proposing marriage to Eleanor?
6. What does Mr. Slope do in Chapter 32 to try to become Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
7. How does Mrs. Proudie try to humiliate Mr. Slope in Chapter 51?
8. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
9. Why does Dr. Harding feel he is a poor candidate for the deanery?
10. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)