|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eleanor feel about her father's offer of the deanery?
(a) She wants him to take it.
(b) She can't decide how she feels.
(c) She agrees that he is too old.
(d) She thinks it's really a trick.
2. How does Mr. Slope lose some of his favoritism in the quest for the deanery?
(a) He gave another poor sermon.
(b) He did not go to the cathedral.
(c) He spent too much time with the signora.
(d) He spoke against the cathedral.
3. Why does the Archdeacon support Mr. Arabin as the new Dean?
(a) Because the signora tells him to.
(b) Because Dr. Harding tells him to.
(c) Because Mr. Slope loses power.
(d) Because he thinks Mr. Arabin is very fair.
4. In Chapter 32, who does the Bishop decide to give the wardenship to?
(a) Mr. Quiverful.
(b) Dr. Harding.
(c) A stranger.
(d) Mr. Slope.
5. What does Charlotte try to convince her father to do in Chapter 45?
(a) Not kick Bertie out.
(b) Take Eleanor in.
(c) Give her money.
(d) Kick Bertie out.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who fires Mr. Slope?
2. Why does Mrs. Grantly have sympathy for her sister, Eleanor?
3. What does the deanery pay?
4. After talking with Mr. Arabin at the Thorne's party, how does the signora feel about Mr. Arabin?
5. What reason is given to Mr. Slope for his firing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eleanor describe her love for Mr. Arabin in Chapter 49?
2. Why does Charlotte suggest Bertie as a good person to defend Eleanor's honor?
3. What does the Archdeacon convince Dr. Harding to do in Chapter 47?
4. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
5. Why does Dr. Harding feel he is a poor candidate for the deanery?
6. What happens to Mr. Slope in London after being fired in Barchester?
7. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
8. How do the Lookalofts go against the wishes of the Thornes at their party?
9. What does Bertie do instead of proposing marriage to Eleanor?
10. How does Eleanor respond when Mr. Slope follows her at the Thorne's party?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)