|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Charlotte try to convince her father to do in Chapter 45?
(a) Not kick Bertie out.
(b) Kick Bertie out.
(c) Give her money.
(d) Take Eleanor in.
2. How is Mr. Arabin's new job as Dean toasted?
(a) With a trip to Plumstead.
(b) With a quiet dinner.
(c) With bumpers of claret.
(d) With champagne.
3. How does Mr. Arabin feel when he is asked to become Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) He was not surprised.
(b) He did not want the position.
(c) He was stunned silent.
(d) He nearly cried.
4. Who supports Mr. Slope in his quest for the deanery?
(a) Mr. Stanhope.
(b) A newspaper editor.
(c) The Archdeacon.
(d) The Bishop.
5. What reason is given to Mr. Slope for his firing?
(a) His relationship with the signora.
(b) His poor sermon.
(c) His harassment of Eleanor.
(d) His lies to gain power.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is invited to the Thorne's party in Chapter 35?
2. Why doesn't Bertie propose to Eleanor?
3. Where does the Bishop visit with the Archbishop to discuss the deanery?
4. Who tells the Archdeacon about Eleanor's marriage plans?
5. How does the author compare Mr. Arabin's religious beliefs to Eleanor's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the game of quintain mean to the Thornes?
2. What does the Archdeacon convince Dr. Harding to do in Chapter 47?
3. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
4. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
5. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
6. Why does the Archdeacon give everyone gifts on the day of Mr. Arabin and Eleanor's wedding?
7. Why does Charlotte suggest Bertie as a good person to defend Eleanor's honor?
8. What does Mr. Slope do in Chapter 32 to try to become Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
9. In Chapter 45, why do Bertie and his father argue and what is the result?
10. How do the Lookalofts go against the wishes of the Thornes at their party?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)