|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who upstages the signora's entrance at the Thorne's party?
(a) Countess de Courcy.
(c) Mr. Slope.
(d) The Lookalofts.
2. What does the author compare the end of a novel to?
(a) The end of a children's party.
(b) The end of a long walk.
(c) The end of a poker game.
(d) The end of a train ride.
3. Who says: "You are not destined to be son-in-law to a dean"?
(a) Mr. Arabin.
(b) Dr. Harding.
(c) The Prime Minister.
(d) The Archdeacon.
4. What reason is given to Mr. Slope for his firing?
(a) His lies to gain power.
(b) His harassment of Eleanor.
(c) His relationship with the signora.
(d) His poor sermon.
5. When Eleanor returns to Barchester, what has happened to the Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) He has lost his job.
(b) He has challenged the Bishop for his title.
(c) He has left town.
(d) He has had a stroke.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Mr. Arabin and Eleanor to announce their engagement?
2. How does Mr. Slope lose some of his favoritism in the quest for the deanery?
3. What does the Archdeacon tell Mr. Arabin about his wedding?
4. Why does Eleanor wake up early the morning after the engagement?
5. What does the deanery pay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Dr. Harding visit Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 52?
2. What happens in Chapter 39 when the Lookalofts join the upper class party?
3. Why does the Archdeacon give everyone gifts on the day of Mr. Arabin and Eleanor's wedding?
4. What does Bertie do instead of proposing marriage to Eleanor?
5. Why does Charlotte suggest Bertie as a good person to defend Eleanor's honor?
6. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
7. What things does Mr. Arabin do when he goes to London in Chapter 34?
8. When Mr. Slope visits in Chapter 46, what does the signora do to scare him away?
9. Why does Mr. Arabin talk to the signora at the Thorne's party?
10. What does the game of quintain mean to the Thornes?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)