|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are the tenant farmers angry with the Lookalofts?
(a) They tricked the Thornes.
(b) They joined the upper class party.
(c) They sold their farm.
(d) They are breaking up their family.
2. What does Eleanor explain to her father at the Thorne's party?
(a) That she does not like Mr. Slope.
(b) That she wants to move away.
(c) That she wants reform in the church.
(d) That she didn't want to come in the first place.
3. How does Mr. Slope feel toward Eleanor after declaring his love for her?
(a) He feels confused.
(b) He feels more in love than ever.
(c) He feels negatively toward her.
(d) He feels sad.
4. At the Thorne's party, what does Mr. Slope do when Eleanor tries to be alone?
(a) He makes fun of her.
(b) He watches her from a distance.
(c) He leaves her alone.
(d) He follows her.
5. How old is Johnny when Eleanor remarries?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charlotte try to convince her father to do in Chapter 45?
2. How long does it take Mr. Arabin and Eleanor to announce their engagement?
3. Why is Mr. Arabin at the Stanhope house in Chapter 46?
4. Why does the Archdeacon support Mr. Arabin as the new Dean?
5. Why does Mr. Slope quickly return to town at the end of Chapter 40?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the wardenship appointment affect Dr. Gwynne?
2. Why does Mr. Arabin talk to the signora at the Thorne's party?
3. What character does the author side with in regards to religion, and why?
4. Why does Charlotte suggest Bertie as a good person to defend Eleanor's honor?
5. What does Bertie do instead of proposing marriage to Eleanor?
6. What makes the gathering at the Thorne estate in Chapter 33 complicated for Eleanor?
7. How does Eleanor respond when Mr. Slope follows her at the Thorne's party?
8. When the Archdeacon runs into Mrs. Quiverful in Chapter 50, what does he say to her?
9. What happens when Mr. Arabin tells Mrs. Grantly about his engagement?
10. What factors make Mr. Arabin an agreeable candidate for Eleanor according to Dr. Harding?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)