|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the party in Chapter 11, what do Bertie and the Bishop discuss?
(a) A new cathedral.
(b) Barchester's debt.
(c) Religious conversions.
(d) Foreign currency.
2. How does Dr. Harding feel about Mr. Slope's romantic interest in Eleanor?
(a) It disturbs him.
(b) He is happy.
(c) It confuses him.
(d) It makes him want to resign the position of warden.
3. What does Mr. Slope learn about Eleanor when he is visiting Mr. Quiverful?
(a) That she is easily tricked.
(b) That she has a large income.
(c) That she is well educated.
(d) That she is actually poor.
4. How are the Archdeacon and Mr. Harding alike?
(a) They are both preachers.
(b) They are both liberal.
(c) They are both conservative.
(d) They are both only children.
5. What is Eleanor doing when Mr. Slope comes to visit her in Chapter 16?
(a) Making lunch.
(b) Talking to her father.
(c) Playing with her son.
(d) Getting dressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what makes Dr. Harding scandalous?
2. When does "Barchester Towers" begin?
3. Who does Mr. Slope visit to discuss the wardenship in Chapter 24?
4. Who becomes warden of Hiram's Hospital?
5. Dr. Stanhope and his wife lead what type of lifestyle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Slope visits with Eleanor Bold and Susan Grantly?
2. What surprises Eleanor about Mr. Arabin when they talk in Chapter 21?
3. How are the Thornes contrasted with the clergy of Barchester?
4. What does the Archdeacon plan to do in terms of the wardenship at the end of Chapter 18?
5. What do the Proudies, Mr. Slope, and the Archdeacon debate during their meeting in Chapter 5?
6. Briefly describe the Stanhope's children.
7. How does Eleanor's family react to the letter from Mr. Slope?
8. In Chapter 16, what role does Mrs. Proudie play in filling the wardenship?
9. When the Proudies announce they are having a party in Chapter 10, what are some of the concerns their guests feel?
10. In Chapter 12, what changes does Mr. Slope suggest for Hiram's Hospital?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)