|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Eleanor defend in Chapter 18 when she discusses the wardenship with her father and the Archdeacon?
(a) The Bishop.
(b) The signora.
(c) Mr. Slope.
(d) The Archdeacon.
2. In Chapter 15, what does Charlotte try to convince Bertie to do?
(a) To bribe Mrs. Proudie.
(b) To marry Eleanor.
(c) To move to Europe.
(d) To get a steady job.
3. In Chapter 17, what does Mrs. Proudie tell Mr. Slope her role is?
(a) The unquestioned master.
(b) The power behind the throne.
(c) The decider.
(d) The silent supporter.
4. How does Eleanor feel when she finds out that Mr. Arabin thinks she will marry Mr. Slope?
5. What does the Archdeacon say will happen if Mr. Slope marries Eleanor?
(a) They will have to move far away.
(b) Mr. Slope will have to find the hidden money.
(c) Mr. Slope will never be welcome in the family.
(d) Mr. Slope will have to get a new job.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people live in the Thorne household?
2. Who is first in the Harding family to learn that Dr. Harding has the wardenship?
3. In Chapter 29, who comes to see Eleanor to discuss her relationship with Mr. Slope?
4. In Chapter 7, what do the townspeople of Barchester think about Mr. Slope?
5. Who does Dr. Harding go to in order to discuss the issue of Sunday school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises Eleanor about Mr. Arabin when they talk in Chapter 21?
2. Describe Mr. Slope's sermon in Chapter 6.
3. In Chapter 24, what happens between Mr. Slope and Mr. Quiverful in regards to the wardenship?
4. When the Proudies announce they are having a party in Chapter 10, what are some of the concerns their guests feel?
5. What makes the evening at the Stanhopes in Chapter 19 complicated for Mr. Slope?
6. What do the Proudies, Mr. Slope, and the Archdeacon debate during their meeting in Chapter 5?
7. What does the Archdeacon tell Eleanor about her relationship with Mr. Slope?
8. In Chapter 1, what makes finding a new Bishop complicated?
9. Briefly describe the Stanhope's children.
10. Describe Mr. Arabin's history with religion.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)