|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Slope visit to discuss the wardenship in Chapter 24?
(a) Mrs. Proudie.
(b) Dr. Gwynne.
(c) Dr. Harding.
(d) Mr. Quiverful.
2. How does Mrs. Quiverful get to the Proudie's?
(a) She hitches a ride.
(b) She takes a horse.
(c) She walks.
(d) She steals a car.
3. What has Dr. Stanhope done while collecting his salary from the church?
(a) Lived in Italy.
(b) Worked as an accountant.
(c) Run another church.
4. What does the signora say that Mr. Slope must do to prove his love?
(a) Tell Eleanor about her.
(b) Challenge the Bishop for his title.
(c) Give up his ambitions.
(d) Give the wardenship to Mr. Quiverful.
5. How are the Thornes involved in the current political situation of Chapter 22?
(a) They are very behind the times.
(b) They side with the Church of England.
(c) They side with Parliament.
(d) They are trying out Communism.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Mr. Arabin's first sermon, where do the Archdeacon and Eleanor have lunch with Mr. Arabin?
2. Who does Mr. Slope visit in Chapter 8?
3. How does Eleanor feel when she finds out that Mr. Arabin thinks she will marry Mr. Slope?
4. Who does the Archdeacon want as warden of Hiram's Hospital?
5. Why does Madeleine, "the signora", arrive late in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mrs. Proudie visits Mr. Slope in Chapter 17, what things does she tell him?
2. What does the Archdeacon plan to do in terms of the wardenship at the end of Chapter 18?
3. How do Dr. Harding and Eleanor respond to each other when they discuss Sunday school in Chapter 13?
4. In Chapter 2, what does the bill Parliament passes mean to Hiram's Hospital?
5. What does Dr. Harding learn about the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14, and how does he respond?
6. How does Mr. Slope run his church?
7. What happens to Mr. Slope and Mrs. Proudie's relationship after discussing the wardenship in Chapter 26?
8. How does Bertie act at the Proudie's party in Chapter 11?
9. What does the Archdeacon discover when he does research following Mr. Slope's sermon?
10. How are the Thornes contrasted with the clergy of Barchester?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)