|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 4, how are Mr. Slope's religious beliefs described?
(a) New age.
2. In Chapter 15, what does Charlotte try to convince Bertie to do?
(a) To move to Europe.
(b) To bribe Mrs. Proudie.
(c) To marry Eleanor.
(d) To get a steady job.
3. Who does Dr. Harding go to in order to discuss the issue of Sunday school?
(a) Mrs. Proudie.
(b) The Archdeacon.
(c) Mr. Slope.
(d) The Bishop.
4. What is revealed about Mr. Slope and the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14?
(a) That he secretly raised the salary of the warden.
(b) That he is working to eliminate the position of warden.
(c) That he wants the position of warden himself.
(d) That he convinced Dr. Harding to turn down the wardenship.
5. In Chapter 27, why can't Mr. Slope arrange a meeting with Dr. Harding?
(a) He is away at Plumstead.
(b) He never gets the invitation.
(c) He has work in London.
(d) He denies Mr. Slope's invitation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eleanor feel when she finds out that Mr. Arabin thinks she will marry Mr. Slope?
2. In Chapter 1, who dies?
3. Who becomes warden of Hiram's Hospital?
4. In Chapter 2, what makes Dr. Harding scandalous?
5. Who does Eleanor begin to befriend in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 12, what changes does Mr. Slope suggest for Hiram's Hospital?
2. How does Miss Thorne show that she is behind the times while having lunch with Mr. Arabin, the Archdeacon, and Eleanor?
3. What happens to Mr. Slope and Mrs. Proudie's relationship after discussing the wardenship in Chapter 26?
4. In Chapter 2, what does the bill Parliament passes mean to Hiram's Hospital?
5. What does the Archdeacon discover when he does research following Mr. Slope's sermon?
6. Describe Mr. Arabin's history with religion.
7. What does Mr. Slope write in his letter to Eleanor in Chapter 27?
8. Describe Mr. Slope's sermon in Chapter 6.
9. When Mrs. Proudie visits Mr. Slope in Chapter 17, what things does she tell him?
10. What role does Mr. Slope play in the Proudie's discussion of the wardenship position in Chapters 25 and 26?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)