|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mrs. Proudie respond to Mr. Slope's sermon?
(a) She disagrees with him.
(b) She thought it was just a joke.
(c) She didn't hear the sermon.
(d) She agrees with him.
2. In Chapter 17, who does Mrs. Proudie want for the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
(a) Mr. Slope.
(b) Mr. Proudie.
(c) Dr. Harding.
(d) Mr. Quiverful.
3. How are the Archdeacon and Mr. Harding alike?
(a) They are both preachers.
(b) They are both conservative.
(c) They are both liberal.
(d) They are both only children.
4. Who does Eleanor begin to befriend in Chapter 21?
(a) Mrs. Grantly.
(b) The Archdeacon.
(c) Mr. Arabin.
(d) Mr. Slope.
5. When does "Barchester Towers" begin?
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Mr. Slope's relationship with the signora complicated?
2. In Chapter 1, what position needs to be filled?
3. What is Eleanor doing when Mr. Slope comes to visit her in Chapter 16?
4. What is the Archdeacon's home known as?
5. How does Mrs. Proudie feel after her visit with Mrs. Quiverful in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the conservatives of Barchester fear that Mr. Slope will become the next Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
2. How does Miss Thorne show that she is behind the times while having lunch with Mr. Arabin, the Archdeacon, and Eleanor?
3. Why does Miss Thorne feel Eleanor would be a good wife for Mr. Arabin?
4. Describe Mr. Arabin's history with religion.
5. What happens to Mr. Slope and Mrs. Proudie's relationship after discussing the wardenship in Chapter 26?
6. What surprises Eleanor about Mr. Arabin when they talk in Chapter 21?
7. What does Dr. Harding learn about the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14, and how does he respond?
8. Why does Dr. Harding visit Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 52?
9. What does the Archdeacon tell Eleanor about her relationship with Mr. Slope?
10. In Chapter 12, what changes does Mr. Slope suggest for Hiram's Hospital?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)