|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who can go to Hiram's Hospital?
(b) Ill statesmen.
(c) Retired men.
(d) The mentally ill.
2. Who enjoys meeting the signora?
(b) Mr. Slope.
(c) Mr. Proudie.
(d) Mrs. Proudie.
3. Who does Eleanor defend in Chapter 18 when she discusses the wardenship with her father and the Archdeacon?
(a) The Archdeacon.
(b) The Bishop.
(c) The signora.
(d) Mr. Slope.
4. What does the Archdeacon feel he represents?
(a) High church tradition.
(b) The Parliament.
(c) Liberal movements.
(d) The common man.
5. How are the Thornes involved in the current political situation of Chapter 22?
(a) They side with Parliament.
(b) They side with the Church of England.
(c) They are very behind the times.
(d) They are trying out Communism.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eleanor take part in a discussion about Mr. Slope with Mrs. Grantly?
2. After Mr. Arabin's first sermon, how do the people feel about him?
3. How many children do the Stanhopes have?
4. Who does Eleanor begin to befriend in Chapter 21?
5. Where is Mr. Slope a tutor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship of power between Dr. Proudie, Mrs. Proudie, and Mr. Slope as described in Chapter 3.
2. How does Bertie act at the Proudie's party in Chapter 11?
3. How does Miss Thorne show that she is behind the times while having lunch with Mr. Arabin, the Archdeacon, and Eleanor?
4. What does Dr. Harding learn about the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14, and how does he respond?
5. When Mrs. Proudie visits Mr. Slope in Chapter 17, what things does she tell him?
6. How does Eleanor's family react to the letter from Mr. Slope?
7. What do the Proudies, Mr. Slope, and the Archdeacon debate during their meeting in Chapter 5?
8. How are the Thornes contrasted with the clergy of Barchester?
9. In Chapter 1, what makes finding a new Bishop complicated?
10. What makes the evening at the Stanhopes in Chapter 19 complicated for Mr. Slope?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)