|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the church leadership do after Mr. Slope's sermon?
(a) They ban Mr. Slope from preaching.
(b) They find Mr. Slope a job in another town.
(c) They pay Mr. Slope to preach again.
(d) They have Mr. Slope write for them.
2. In Chapter 7, what do the townspeople of Barchester think about Mr. Slope?
(a) They haven't met Mr. Slope yet.
(b) They think Mr. Slope is a fool.
(c) They think Mr. Slope is a reformer.
(d) They think Mr. Slope is old-fashioned.
3. How does Mr. Arabin feel about reform in the church?
(a) He ignores it.
(b) He is for it.
(c) He is against it.
(d) He believes a little reform is good.
4. In Chapter 4, how are Mr. Slope's religious beliefs described?
(a) New age.
5. What does Eleanor do in the morning at the end of Chapter 29?
(a) Finds a job.
(b) Reads the newspaper.
(c) Packs her bags.
(d) Writes a letter to Mr. Slope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Madeleine, "the signora", arrive late in Chapter 10?
2. Where is Mr. Slope a tutor?
3. After being unable to arrange a meeting with Dr. Harding, what does Mr. Slope do?
4. When the Bishop confronts Mrs. Proudie about the position of warden, what happens?
5. How does Mr. Arabin feel when he stays with the Archdeacon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Archdeacon tell Eleanor about her relationship with Mr. Slope?
2. When Mrs. Proudie visits Mr. Slope in Chapter 17, what things does she tell him?
3. What happens to Mr. Slope and Mrs. Proudie's relationship after discussing the wardenship in Chapter 26?
4. How does Miss Thorne show that she is behind the times while having lunch with Mr. Arabin, the Archdeacon, and Eleanor?
5. How does Bertie act at the Proudie's party in Chapter 11?
6. In Chapter 2, what does the bill Parliament passes mean to Hiram's Hospital?
7. How are the Thornes contrasted with the clergy of Barchester?
8. Briefly describe the Stanhope's children.
9. What does Dr. Harding learn about the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14, and how does he respond?
10. In Chapter 1, what makes finding a new Bishop complicated?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)