|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Bertie propose to Eleanor?
(a) He is afraid of Mr. Slope.
(b) He is too afraid to.
(c) He doesn't want to stay in Barchester.
(d) He knows Mr. Arabin loves her more.
2. How does the author compare Mr. Arabin's religious beliefs to Eleanor's?
(a) His are a secret.
(b) His are more strict.
(c) His change more often.
(d) His are more moderate.
3. How old is Johnny when Eleanor remarries?
4. Why does the Archdeacon support Mr. Arabin as the new Dean?
(a) Because Dr. Harding tells him to.
(b) Because Mr. Slope loses power.
(c) Because he thinks Mr. Arabin is very fair.
(d) Because the signora tells him to.
5. How is Mr. Arabin informed of his position as Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) A note from the signora.
(b) Dr. Harding told him.
(c) The Prime Minister visited him.
(d) A note from the minister.
6. How does Eleanor feel about the Stanhopes at the end of Chapter 42?
(a) She feels welcome.
(b) She feels afraid.
(c) She feels confused.
(d) She feels used.
7. How does Eleanor feel about her father's offer of the deanery?
(a) She can't decide how she feels.
(b) She agrees that he is too old.
(c) She thinks it's really a trick.
(d) She wants him to take it.
8. How does the Bishop treat Mr. Slope at the Thorne's party?
(a) The Bishop slights Mr. Slope.
(b) The Bishop mocks Mr. Slope.
(c) The Bishop is kind to Mr. Slope.
(d) The Bishop hits Mr. Slope.
9. Who goes to Oxford to talk Dr. Gwynne into supporting Mr. Arabin for Dean?
(a) Dr. Harding and Mr. Stanhope.
(b) Dr. Harding and the Bishop.
(c) Dr. Harding and the Archdeacon.
(d) Dr. Harding and Mr. Thorne.
10. Where does Miss Thorne invite Mr. Arabin and Eleanor?
(b) To her house.
(d) A small town next to Barchester.
11. Why is Bertie supposed to propose to Eleanor?
(a) Because of his love.
(b) Because he wants to save her.
(c) Because of a dare.
(d) Because of his debt.
12. Who is offered the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) Dr. Stanhope.
(b) Mr. Slope.
(c) Dr. Harding.
(d) Mr. Arabin.
13. Who upstages the signora's entrance at the Thorne's party?
(a) The Lookalofts.
(c) Mr. Slope.
(d) Countess de Courcy.
14. How does Miss Thorne feel about her matchmaking plan?
15. Who does Eleanor run into after leaving the Thornes' party?
(a) Mr. Slope.
(c) Mr. Arabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Harding respond to the news of Eleanor's engagement?
2. What game does Mrs. Thorne want to play at the party?
3. Who is suggested to Eleanor as a person to defend her honor?
4. Who does Eleanor want to move in with her?
5. What does the signora tell Eleanor at their meeting?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)