|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eleanor wake up early the morning after the engagement?
(a) Because she might run into Mr. Arabin.
(b) Because she could not sleep.
(c) Because she was hungry.
(d) Because she wanted to find Miss Thorne.
2. After talking with Mr. Arabin at the Thorne's party, how does the signora feel about Mr. Arabin?
3. What reason is given to Mr. Slope for his firing?
(a) His relationship with the signora.
(b) His harassment of Eleanor.
(c) His lies to gain power.
(d) His poor sermon.
4. What does Bertie do as his father yells at him after the Thornes' party?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He draws.
(c) He walks away.
(d) He cries.
5. During the Thorne's party, what happens to the son of one of their tenants?
(a) He gets kicked out.
(b) He has too much to drink.
(c) He gets into a fight.
(d) He is thrown from a horse.
6. Who ends up whispering the name of Mr. Arabin to a "distinguished person" in regards to the deanery?
(a) The Master of Lazarus.
(b) Dr. Gwynne.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) The marquis.
7. How does the Bishop treat Mr. Slope at the Thorne's party?
(a) The Bishop mocks Mr. Slope.
(b) The Bishop is kind to Mr. Slope.
(c) The Bishop hits Mr. Slope.
(d) The Bishop slights Mr. Slope.
8. What does Mr. Slope plan to do at the Thorne's party?
(a) Confess his feelings for the signora.
(b) Ask Eleanor to marry him.
(c) Announce that he is the new Dean of Barchester Cathedral.
(d) Leave early.
9. Who does Mr. Slope discuss the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral with in Chapter 32?
(a) The Archdeacon.
(b) The Archbishop.
(c) The current Dean of Barchester Cathedral.
(d) The Bishop.
10. What game does Mrs. Thorne want to play at the party?
(d) Tic Tac Toe.
11. How many possible candidates for the deanery does the Prime Minister consider?
12. Where does Miss Thorne invite Mr. Arabin and Eleanor?
(a) A small town next to Barchester.
(c) To her house.
13. Why does Mrs. Grantly have sympathy for her sister, Eleanor?
(a) Because Eleanor was quiet and shy.
(b) Because Eleanor went abroad for two months.
(c) Because Eleanor didn't want children.
(d) Because Eleanor married a clergyman.
14. What does Eleanor explain to her father at the Thorne's party?
(a) That she wants reform in the church.
(b) That she wants to move away.
(c) That she does not like Mr. Slope.
(d) That she didn't want to come in the first place.
15. Who is offered the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) Dr. Harding.
(b) Dr. Stanhope.
(c) Mr. Arabin.
(d) Mr. Slope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Bertie supposed to propose to Eleanor?
2. Who is invited to the Thorne's party in Chapter 35?
3. How does Mr. Slope lose some of his favoritism in the quest for the deanery?
4. Who does Mr. Arabin meet with in London to discuss his struggle with the Bishop?
5. How long does Miss Thorne think it will take for Mr. Arabin to propose to Eleanor?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)