|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is suggested to Eleanor as a person to defend her honor?
(a) The Bishop.
(b) Mr. Arabin.
(c) Dr. Harding.
2. Who does Mr. Arabin meet with in London to discuss his struggle with the Bishop?
(a) Mr. Stanhope.
(b) The Archbishop.
(c) Dr. Gwynne.
(d) Mr. Slope.
3. Where does Miss Thorne invite Mr. Arabin and Eleanor?
(a) To her house.
(b) A small town next to Barchester.
4. Why doesn't the Archdeacon believe that Eleanor will marry Mr. Arabin?
(a) Because Mr. Arabin told him otherwise.
(b) Because he didn't think the signora would allow it.
(c) Because he thinks they are a poor match.
(d) Because he thinks she will marry Mr. Slope.
5. Who tells the Archdeacon about Eleanor's marriage plans?
(a) Mr. Arabin.
(b) The signora.
(d) Dr. Harding.
6. Why does Mrs. Proudie say that Mr. Slope will be fired?
(a) Because he wants to be Dean.
(b) Because he has a poor work ethic.
(c) Because the people of Barchester voted him out.
(d) Because of his relationship with the signora.
7. At the Thorne's party, what does Mr. Slope do when Eleanor tries to be alone?
(a) He watches her from a distance.
(b) He follows her.
(c) He makes fun of her.
(d) He leaves her alone.
8. What does Charlotte try to convince her father to do in Chapter 45?
(a) Kick Bertie out.
(b) Give her money.
(c) Not kick Bertie out.
(d) Take Eleanor in.
9. At the Thorne's party,who does Mrs. Proudie suggest has a chance to become the new Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) Dr. Stanhope.
(b) Mr. Arabin.
(c) Countess de Courcy.
(d) Mr. Slope.
10. How is Mr. Arabin informed of his position as Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) Dr. Harding told him.
(b) A note from the signora.
(c) A note from the minister.
(d) The Prime Minister visited him.
11. After talking with Mr. Arabin at the Thorne's party, how does the signora feel about Mr. Arabin?
12. What does the Archdeacon give Eleanor as a present on her wedding day?
(a) A box of pearls.
(b) A cob.
(c) A sapphire bracelet.
(d) A pony chair.
13. How does Dr. Harding respond to the news of Eleanor's engagement?
(a) He is pleased and calm.
(b) He is nervous and upset.
(c) He is shocked and excited.
(d) He is angry and confused.
14. What does the author compare the end of a novel to?
(a) The end of a children's party.
(b) The end of a poker game.
(c) The end of a train ride.
(d) The end of a long walk.
15. Who is invited to the Thorne's party in Chapter 35?
(a) The Thorne's neighbors.
(b) The upper class and their tenants.
(c) Only members of the clergy.
(d) The Bishop and his friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Slope want to do before word gets out about the Bishop's appointment of wardenship?
2. How long does Miss Thorne think it will take for Mr. Arabin to propose to Eleanor?
3. Who fires Mr. Slope?
4. What does Eleanor explain to her father at the Thorne's party?
5. What game does Mrs. Thorne want to play at the party?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)