|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Eleanor run into after leaving the Thornes' party?
(b) Mr. Arabin.
(d) Mr. Slope.
2. How does Eleanor feel about the Stanhopes at the end of Chapter 42?
(a) She feels afraid.
(b) She feels welcome.
(c) She feels used.
(d) She feels confused.
3. How does Mr. Arabin feel when he is asked to become Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) He nearly cried.
(b) He did not want the position.
(c) He was not surprised.
(d) He was stunned silent.
4. How does Eleanor feel about Charlotte now that she is engaged?
(a) She feels she does not need Charlotte.
(b) She still feels hurt by Charlotte.
(c) She misses Charlotte.
(d) She wants Charlotte to apologize to her.
5. How old is Johnny when Eleanor remarries?
6. What does the Archdeacon tell Mr. Arabin about his wedding?
(a) He says it's a bad idea.
(b) He says that a good wedding takes place in winter.
(c) He says he wants to perform the service.
(d) He doesn't mention the wedding.
7. Where does the Bishop visit with the Archbishop to discuss the deanery?
(d) The Thorne estate.
8. Why is Mr. Arabin at the Stanhope house in Chapter 46?
(a) To argue with Mr. Slope.
(b) To try to win favor for the deanery.
(c) To talk about Eleanor.
(d) To confess his love for the signora.
9. How is Mr. Arabin's new job as Dean toasted?
(a) With champagne.
(b) With a trip to Plumstead.
(c) With a quiet dinner.
(d) With bumpers of claret.
10. Why does Eleanor wake up early the morning after the engagement?
(a) Because she wanted to find Miss Thorne.
(b) Because she might run into Mr. Arabin.
(c) Because she could not sleep.
(d) Because she was hungry.
11. Who goes to Oxford to talk Dr. Gwynne into supporting Mr. Arabin for Dean?
(a) Dr. Harding and the Archdeacon.
(b) Dr. Harding and Mr. Stanhope.
(c) Dr. Harding and the Bishop.
(d) Dr. Harding and Mr. Thorne.
12. Who is suggested to Eleanor as a person to defend her honor?
(a) Dr. Harding.
(b) Mr. Arabin.
(c) The Bishop.
13. Where does Bertie leave for?
(a) The Thorne estate.
(d) Eleanor's house.
14. Who says: "I like everything old-fashioned"?
(a) Miss Thorne.
(c) Mr. Arabin.
(d) Mrs. Bold.
15. At the Thorne's party,who does Mrs. Proudie suggest has a chance to become the new Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) Mr. Slope.
(b) Dr. Stanhope.
(c) Countess de Courcy.
(d) Mr. Arabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Mr. Arabin angry at the Thorne's party?
2. Who upstages the signora's entrance at the Thorne's party?
3. What does Eleanor explain to her father at the Thorne's party?
4. Who does Mr. Arabin meet with in London to discuss his struggle with the Bishop?
5. What does Eleanor do when Mr. Slope declares his love?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)