|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Harding respond to the news of Eleanor's engagement?
(a) He is pleased and calm.
(b) He is shocked and excited.
(c) He is nervous and upset.
(d) He is angry and confused.
2. Why doesn't Bertie propose to Eleanor?
(a) He is afraid of Mr. Slope.
(b) He knows Mr. Arabin loves her more.
(c) He is too afraid to.
(d) He doesn't want to stay in Barchester.
3. After talking with Mr. Arabin at the Thorne's party, how does the signora feel about Mr. Arabin?
4. What does Bertie do as his father yells at him after the Thornes' party?
(a) He cries.
(b) He draws.
(c) He walks away.
(d) He laughs.
5. Who does the Archbishop feel is capable of being Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) Mr. Slope.
(c) Mr. Arabin.
(d) Dr. Harding.
6. At the Thorne's party,who does Mrs. Proudie suggest has a chance to become the new Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) Mr. Slope.
(b) Countess de Courcy.
(c) Dr. Stanhope.
(d) Mr. Arabin.
7. Where does Bertie leave for?
(a) The Thorne estate.
(c) Eleanor's house.
8. Who goes to Oxford to talk Dr. Gwynne into supporting Mr. Arabin for Dean?
(a) Dr. Harding and Mr. Stanhope.
(b) Dr. Harding and Mr. Thorne.
(c) Dr. Harding and the Archdeacon.
(d) Dr. Harding and the Bishop.
9. How long does it take Mr. Arabin and Eleanor to announce their engagement?
(a) A few hours.
(b) A few months.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) A few days.
10. How does Mr. Slope feel when he leaves the Stanhopes' in Chapter 46?
(a) Sad and embarrassed.
(b) Horrified and scared.
(c) Full of peace.
(d) Full of hatred.
11. Who is invited to the Thorne's party in Chapter 35?
(a) The upper class and their tenants.
(b) Only members of the clergy.
(c) The Bishop and his friends.
(d) The Thorne's neighbors.
12. What does the signora tell Eleanor at their meeting?
(a) That Bertie loves her.
(b) That Mr. Slope loves her.
(c) That Dr. Stanhope loves her.
(d) That Mr. Arabin loves her.
13. Who does Mr. Arabin meet with in London to discuss his struggle with the Bishop?
(a) Dr. Gwynne.
(b) Mr. Stanhope.
(c) The Archbishop.
(d) Mr. Slope.
14. Why are the tenant farmers angry with the Lookalofts?
(a) They tricked the Thornes.
(b) They are breaking up their family.
(c) They sold their farm.
(d) They joined the upper class party.
15. How does the author compare Mr. Arabin's religious beliefs to Eleanor's?
(a) His are a secret.
(b) His change more often.
(c) His are more moderate.
(d) His are more strict.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is offered the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
2. Where is Mr. Slope planning on working?
3. Why does the Archdeacon support Mr. Arabin as the new Dean?
4. Who does the Archdeacon fear will become the new Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
5. What does Mr. Arabin tell the Archdeacon about Eleanor in Chapter 34?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)