|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Eleanor see Mr. Arabin with after leaving the Thornes' party?
(b) Dr. Harding.
(c) The signora.
(d) A strange woman.
2. Who does Dr. Gwynne support for wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
(a) Mr. Slope.
(b) Dr. Harding.
(d) Mr. Quiverful.
3. What does Mr. Arabin tell the Archdeacon about Eleanor in Chapter 34?
(a) That she is trying to marry Mr. Slope.
(b) That she wants to run away.
(c) That she stole some of his money.
(d) That she does not want to marry Mr. Slope.
4. Who describes Mr. Arabin as being "noble and good and high-minded"?
(c) Mrs. Bold.
(d) Dr. Harding.
5. Where is the party in Chapter 33?
(a) Mr. Slope's cousin's house.
(b) The Stanhope's house.
(c) The Bishop's house.
(d) The Thorne estate.
6. Why does Mr. Slope quickly return to town at the end of Chapter 40?
(a) He couldn't be near Eleanor.
(b) He was feeling ignored at the party.
(c) He was tired.
(d) The Dean has died.
7. Who fires Mr. Slope?
(a) The Archdeacon.
(b) The Bishop.
(c) Mr. Slope quits.
(d) The Archbishop.
8. Why does Mrs. Grantly have sympathy for her sister, Eleanor?
(a) Because Eleanor was quiet and shy.
(b) Because Eleanor went abroad for two months.
(c) Because Eleanor married a clergyman.
(d) Because Eleanor didn't want children.
9. Why does Mrs. Proudie feel that Mr. Slope cannot be Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) Because he does not have enough influence.
(b) Because the Archdeacon is against him.
(c) Because he does not have enough money.
(d) Because his sermons are terrible.
10. Who is invited to the Thorne's party in Chapter 35?
(a) The Thorne's neighbors.
(b) The upper class and their tenants.
(c) Only members of the clergy.
(d) The Bishop and his friends.
11. What does the deanery pay?
(a) 200 a year.
(b) 2000 a year.
(c) 100 a year.
(d) 1200 a year.
12. What does the author compare the end of a novel to?
(a) The end of a train ride.
(b) The end of a long walk.
(c) The end of a poker game.
(d) The end of a children's party.
13. In Chapter 32, who does the Bishop decide to give the wardenship to?
(a) Dr. Harding.
(b) Mr. Slope.
(c) Mr. Quiverful.
(d) A stranger.
14. How does Mr. Slope feel toward Eleanor after declaring his love for her?
(a) He feels confused.
(b) He feels negatively toward her.
(c) He feels more in love than ever.
(d) He feels sad.
15. Why doesn't Bertie propose to Eleanor?
(a) He is too afraid to.
(b) He doesn't want to stay in Barchester.
(c) He knows Mr. Arabin loves her more.
(d) He is afraid of Mr. Slope.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Slope plan to do at the Thorne's party?
2. What surprises Mrs. Quiverful about the Archdeacon when they meet in Chapter 50?
3. Who goes against the Thorne's wishes at their party?
4. Where does the Bishop visit with the Archbishop to discuss the deanery?
5. Who is suggested to Eleanor as a person to defend her honor?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)