|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bertie do as his father yells at him after the Thornes' party?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He cries.
(c) He draws.
(d) He walks away.
2. Who does Eleanor want to move in with her?
(a) Mr. Slope.
(b) A new maid.
(c) Her father.
3. During the Thorne's party, what happens to the son of one of their tenants?
(a) He gets into a fight.
(b) He gets kicked out.
(c) He is thrown from a horse.
(d) He has too much to drink.
4. Where is Mr. Slope planning on working?
(a) At Mr. Quiverful's old church.
(b) A church in London.
(c) At a newspaper in London.
(d) At Hiram's Hospital.
5. How does the Archdeacon describe Eleanor and Mr. Arabin?
(a) Sneaky foxes.
(b) Confused cats wandering aimlessly.
(c) Sly young turtle doves.
(d) Faithful old dogs.
6. Why does Mrs. Proudie say that Mr. Slope will be fired?
(a) Because of his relationship with the signora.
(b) Because he wants to be Dean.
(c) Because he has a poor work ethic.
(d) Because the people of Barchester voted him out.
7. What makes Mr. Arabin angry at the Thorne's party?
(a) The food wasn't what he expected.
(b) Seeing Eleanor arrive with Mr. Slope.
(c) The presence of the Lookalofts.
(d) Learning he might have a new job.
8. Who tells Mr. Slope that he did get the position of Dean?
(a) Mr. Arabin.
(b) Mrs. Proudie.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) Sir Nicholas.
9. How does Mr. Slope feel when he leaves the Stanhopes' in Chapter 46?
(a) Full of peace.
(b) Horrified and scared.
(c) Full of hatred.
(d) Sad and embarrassed.
10. What does Mr. Slope plan to do at the Thorne's party?
(a) Leave early.
(b) Ask Eleanor to marry him.
(c) Confess his feelings for the signora.
(d) Announce that he is the new Dean of Barchester Cathedral.
11. How is Mr. Arabin's new job as Dean toasted?
(a) With bumpers of claret.
(b) With a trip to Plumstead.
(c) With champagne.
(d) With a quiet dinner.
12. Who describes Mr. Arabin as being "noble and good and high-minded"?
(a) Mrs. Bold.
(c) Dr. Harding.
13. Who does Dr. Harding suggest for the deanery?
(a) Mr. Slope.
(b) Mr. Stanhope.
(c) Miss Thorne.
(d) Mr. Arabin.
14. In Chapter 32, who does the Bishop decide to give the wardenship to?
(a) A stranger.
(b) Mr. Quiverful.
(c) Mr. Slope.
(d) Dr. Harding.
15. What surprises Mrs. Quiverful about the Archdeacon when they meet in Chapter 50?
(a) He slaps her.
(b) He speaks ill of the Bishop.
(c) He doesn't know the news about Eleanor's engagement.
(d) He is kind to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Mr. Arabin at the Stanhope house in Chapter 46?
2. Why is Bertie supposed to propose to Eleanor?
3. What does the author compare the end of a novel to?
4. How does Eleanor feel about her father's offer of the deanery?
5. In Chapter 33, who is Eleanor anxious to forgive?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)