|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After appointing a new warden, how do the Proudies act with each other?
(a) They got along well.
(b) They were shyly pleased.
(c) They argued for days.
(d) They refused to speak to each other.
2. Why are the tenant farmers angry with the Lookalofts?
(a) They are breaking up their family.
(b) They joined the upper class party.
(c) They sold their farm.
(d) They tricked the Thornes.
3. How long does it take Mr. Arabin and Eleanor to announce their engagement?
(a) A few weeks.
(b) A few days.
(c) A few hours.
(d) A few months.
4. What article does Mr. Slope threaten to write?
(a) One against Mrs. Proudie.
(b) One against Barchester Cathedral.
(c) One in support of Mr. Arabin.
(d) One in support of the Bishop.
5. Why doesn't the Archdeacon believe that Eleanor will marry Mr. Arabin?
(a) Because he thinks she will marry Mr. Slope.
(b) Because he thinks they are a poor match.
(c) Because Mr. Arabin told him otherwise.
(d) Because he didn't think the signora would allow it.
6. What does the Archdeacon tell Mr. Arabin about his wedding?
(a) He says it's a bad idea.
(b) He says that a good wedding takes place in winter.
(c) He says he wants to perform the service.
(d) He doesn't mention the wedding.
7. Where is the party in Chapter 33?
(a) The Stanhope's house.
(b) The Bishop's house.
(c) Mr. Slope's cousin's house.
(d) The Thorne estate.
8. Who says: "You are not destined to be son-in-law to a dean"?
(a) The Archdeacon.
(b) The Prime Minister.
(c) Mr. Arabin.
(d) Dr. Harding.
9. After talking with Mr. Arabin at the Thorne's party, how does the signora feel about Mr. Arabin?
10. What does Eleanor explain to her father at the Thorne's party?
(a) That she didn't want to come in the first place.
(b) That she wants to move away.
(c) That she wants reform in the church.
(d) That she does not like Mr. Slope.
11. What does Mr. Slope plan to do at the Thorne's party?
(a) Announce that he is the new Dean of Barchester Cathedral.
(b) Ask Eleanor to marry him.
(c) Leave early.
(d) Confess his feelings for the signora.
12. Who is offered the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) Dr. Stanhope.
(b) Mr. Arabin.
(c) Dr. Harding.
(d) Mr. Slope.
13. Where does the Bishop visit with the Archbishop to discuss the deanery?
(c) The Thorne estate.
14. During the Thorne's party, what happens to the son of one of their tenants?
(a) He gets into a fight.
(b) He has too much to drink.
(c) He gets kicked out.
(d) He is thrown from a horse.
15. Who supports Mr. Slope in his quest for the deanery?
(a) Mr. Stanhope.
(b) The Archdeacon.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) A newspaper editor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Bertie propose to Eleanor?
2. What does Bertie do as his father yells at him after the Thornes' party?
3. Who upstages the signora's entrance at the Thorne's party?
4. Who does Mr. Arabin meet with in London to discuss his struggle with the Bishop?
5. Who does Dr. Harding suggest for the deanery?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)