|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Slope feel when he leaves the Stanhopes' in Chapter 46?
(a) Full of peace.
(b) Full of hatred.
(c) Horrified and scared.
(d) Sad and embarrassed.
2. How long does it take Mr. Arabin and Eleanor to announce their engagement?
(a) A few days.
(b) A few months.
(c) A few weeks.
(d) A few hours.
3. What does the author compare the end of a novel to?
(a) The end of a poker game.
(b) The end of a long walk.
(c) The end of a children's party.
(d) The end of a train ride.
4. Who does Mr. Arabin meet with in London to discuss his struggle with the Bishop?
(a) The Archbishop.
(b) Dr. Gwynne.
(c) Mr. Slope.
(d) Mr. Stanhope.
5. Why doesn't the Archdeacon believe that Eleanor will marry Mr. Arabin?
(a) Because he thinks they are a poor match.
(b) Because he thinks she will marry Mr. Slope.
(c) Because Mr. Arabin told him otherwise.
(d) Because he didn't think the signora would allow it.
6. What does the Archdeacon tell Mr. Arabin about his wedding?
(a) He doesn't mention the wedding.
(b) He says it's a bad idea.
(c) He says that a good wedding takes place in winter.
(d) He says he wants to perform the service.
7. Who tells Mr. Slope that he did get the position of Dean?
(a) Mr. Arabin.
(b) The Bishop.
(c) Mrs. Proudie.
(d) Sir Nicholas.
8. Who describes Mr. Arabin as being "noble and good and high-minded"?
(c) Mrs. Bold.
(d) Dr. Harding.
9. What does the deanery pay?
(a) 2000 a year.
(b) 1200 a year.
(c) 100 a year.
(d) 200 a year.
10. At the Thorne's party, what does Mr. Slope do when Eleanor tries to be alone?
(a) He makes fun of her.
(b) He follows her.
(c) He watches her from a distance.
(d) He leaves her alone.
11. What does the Archdeacon give Eleanor as a present on her wedding day?
(a) A cob.
(b) A box of pearls.
(c) A pony chair.
(d) A sapphire bracelet.
12. What surprises Mrs. Quiverful about the Archdeacon when they meet in Chapter 50?
(a) He doesn't know the news about Eleanor's engagement.
(b) He speaks ill of the Bishop.
(c) He is kind to her.
(d) He slaps her.
13. How does Eleanor feel about Charlotte now that she is engaged?
(a) She misses Charlotte.
(b) She still feels hurt by Charlotte.
(c) She feels she does not need Charlotte.
(d) She wants Charlotte to apologize to her.
14. Why does Mrs. Proudie feel that Mr. Slope cannot be Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) Because he does not have enough money.
(b) Because his sermons are terrible.
(c) Because the Archdeacon is against him.
(d) Because he does not have enough influence.
15. Who says they were "never so happy in their (lives)"?
(a) The Bishop.
(b) Mr. Slope.
(c) Dr. Harding.
(d) The Archdeacon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Eleanor feel about the Stanhopes at the end of Chapter 42?
2. How old is Johnny when Eleanor remarries?
3. How does Miss Thorne feel about her matchmaking plan?
4. What game does Mrs. Thorne want to play at the party?
5. Why doesn't Bertie propose to Eleanor?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)