|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mr. Slope lose some of his favoritism in the quest for the deanery?
(a) He gave another poor sermon.
(b) He spoke against the cathedral.
(c) He spent too much time with the signora.
(d) He did not go to the cathedral.
2. Who does Mr. Arabin meet with in London to discuss his struggle with the Bishop?
(a) Dr. Gwynne.
(b) The Archbishop.
(c) Mr. Stanhope.
(d) Mr. Slope.
3. How many possible candidates for the deanery does the Prime Minister consider?
4. Why does Mr. Slope quickly return to town at the end of Chapter 40?
(a) He was feeling ignored at the party.
(b) The Dean has died.
(c) He couldn't be near Eleanor.
(d) He was tired.
5. Who thinks Mr. Arabin is disgracing himself by visiting the signora?
(b) Mrs. Grantly.
(c) Mr. Slope.
(d) The Archbishop.
6. What makes Miss Thorne want to set up Mr. Arabin and Eleanor?
(a) Rumors about Mr. Arabin and the signora.
(b) She hopes Eleanor will give her money.
(c) She is bored.
(d) Eleanor asks for her help.
7. Why does Mrs. Proudie feel that Mr. Slope cannot be Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) Because he does not have enough money.
(b) Because his sermons are terrible.
(c) Because he does not have enough influence.
(d) Because the Archdeacon is against him.
8. How does Eleanor feel about the Stanhopes at the end of Chapter 42?
(a) She feels welcome.
(b) She feels confused.
(c) She feels used.
(d) She feels afraid.
9. Who goes to Oxford to talk Dr. Gwynne into supporting Mr. Arabin for Dean?
(a) Dr. Harding and Mr. Thorne.
(b) Dr. Harding and the Bishop.
(c) Dr. Harding and Mr. Stanhope.
(d) Dr. Harding and the Archdeacon.
10. Why are the tenant farmers angry with the Lookalofts?
(a) They tricked the Thornes.
(b) They are breaking up their family.
(c) They sold their farm.
(d) They joined the upper class party.
11. Where does the Bishop visit with the Archbishop to discuss the deanery?
(d) The Thorne estate.
12. How does the Bishop treat Mr. Slope at the Thorne's party?
(a) The Bishop hits Mr. Slope.
(b) The Bishop slights Mr. Slope.
(c) The Bishop is kind to Mr. Slope.
(d) The Bishop mocks Mr. Slope.
13. What does the Archdeacon give Eleanor as a present on her wedding day?
(a) A sapphire bracelet.
(b) A box of pearls.
(c) A pony chair.
(d) A cob.
14. When Eleanor returns to Barchester, what has happened to the Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) He has challenged the Bishop for his title.
(b) He has left town.
(c) He has had a stroke.
(d) He has lost his job.
15. Where do the Stanhopes go before Eleanor's wedding?
(d) The United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the party in Chapter 33?
2. Who tells Mr. Slope that he did get the position of Dean?
3. What does the signora tell Eleanor at their meeting?
4. Who does the Archbishop feel is capable of being Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
5. What does Eleanor do when Mr. Slope declares his love?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)