|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Mr. Slope planning on working?
(a) At Mr. Quiverful's old church.
(b) A church in London.
(c) At a newspaper in London.
(d) At Hiram's Hospital.
2. What game does Mrs. Thorne want to play at the party?
(a) Tic Tac Toe.
3. What does Mr. Slope want to do before word gets out about the Bishop's appointment of wardenship?
(a) Visit London.
(b) Ask Eleanor to marry him.
(c) Stop the appointment.
(d) Write the signora.
4. What does Mr. Slope plan to do at the Thorne's party?
(a) Announce that he is the new Dean of Barchester Cathedral.
(b) Leave early.
(c) Confess his feelings for the signora.
(d) Ask Eleanor to marry him.
5. How does Eleanor feel about her father's offer of the deanery?
(a) She agrees that he is too old.
(b) She thinks it's really a trick.
(c) She can't decide how she feels.
(d) She wants him to take it.
6. Why does Mr. Slope quickly return to town at the end of Chapter 40?
(a) He was tired.
(b) He couldn't be near Eleanor.
(c) The Dean has died.
(d) He was feeling ignored at the party.
7. What does the Archdeacon tell Mr. Arabin about his wedding?
(a) He says it's a bad idea.
(b) He says that a good wedding takes place in winter.
(c) He says he wants to perform the service.
(d) He doesn't mention the wedding.
8. Who does Dr. Harding suggest for the deanery?
(a) Mr. Arabin.
(b) Mr. Stanhope.
(c) Mr. Slope.
(d) Miss Thorne.
9. During the Thorne's party, what happens to the son of one of their tenants?
(a) He has too much to drink.
(b) He is thrown from a horse.
(c) He gets kicked out.
(d) He gets into a fight.
10. What new job does the Bishop take on?
(a) A post in the House of Lords.
(b) The position of Archbishop.
(c) Curate in a church.
(d) He retires.
11. How does the Archdeacon describe Eleanor and Mr. Arabin?
(a) Sly young turtle doves.
(b) Sneaky foxes.
(c) Faithful old dogs.
(d) Confused cats wandering aimlessly.
12. Who writes Eleanor a letter in Chapter 44?
(a) Mr. Arabin.
(b) Mr. Slope.
(c) The signora.
(d) The Bishop.
13. Why is Mr. Arabin at the Stanhope house in Chapter 46?
(a) To talk about Eleanor.
(b) To try to win favor for the deanery.
(c) To confess his love for the signora.
(d) To argue with Mr. Slope.
14. Who is offered the position of Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
(a) Dr. Harding.
(b) Mr. Slope.
(c) Mr. Arabin.
(d) Dr. Stanhope.
15. How does Mr. Slope feel when he leaves the Stanhopes' in Chapter 46?
(a) Sad and embarrassed.
(b) Horrified and scared.
(c) Full of peace.
(d) Full of hatred.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the Archbishop live?
2. In Chapter 33, who is Eleanor anxious to forgive?
3. Who fires Mr. Slope?
4. Why does Eleanor wake up early the morning after the engagement?
5. How is Mr. Arabin informed of his position as Dean of Barchester Cathedral?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)