|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After being unable to arrange a meeting with Dr. Harding, what does Mr. Slope do?
(a) Write a letter to Eleanor.
(b) Give the wardenship to Mr. Quiverful.
(c) Write a letter to the signora.
(d) Resign from his position.
2. What does the signora say that Mr. Slope must do to prove his love?
(a) Challenge the Bishop for his title.
(b) Give up his ambitions.
(c) Tell Eleanor about her.
(d) Give the wardenship to Mr. Quiverful.
3. What is revealed about Mr. Slope and the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14?
(a) That he wants the position of warden himself.
(b) That he is working to eliminate the position of warden.
(c) That he secretly raised the salary of the warden.
(d) That he convinced Dr. Harding to turn down the wardenship.
4. What does Eleanor do when Mr. Slope asks her if she will marry Mr. Slope?
(a) She cries.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She leaves Plumstead.
(d) She talks to Charlotte about it.
5. In Chapter 16, what causes a rift in Mr. Slope's relationship with Mrs. Proudie?
(a) Her money.
(b) Her friendship with Eleanor.
(c) The wardenship.
(d) The plans for the cathedral.
6. In Chapter 3, who is described as controlling what Dr. Proudie does?
(a) Mrs. Proudie.
(b) Mr. Slope.
7. In Chapter 1, what position needs to be filled?
(a) Town Priest.
(b) King of England.
(c) Bishop of Barchester.
8. How does the author describe the Thornes?
(a) Very modern.
9. In Chapter 2, what makes Dr. Harding scandalous?
(a) People thought he made too much money.
(b) People worried he had a girlfriend.
(c) People thought he had been lying.
(d) People thought he had killed a man.
10. Who does Mr. Slope visit to discuss the wardenship in Chapter 24?
(a) Dr. Gwynne.
(b) Mrs. Proudie.
(c) Mr. Quiverful.
(d) Dr. Harding.
11. What is Eleanor doing when Mr. Slope comes to visit her in Chapter 16?
(a) Getting dressed.
(b) Playing with her son.
(c) Talking to her father.
(d) Making lunch.
12. Who does Mr. Slope visit in Chapter 8?
(a) The Archdeacon.
(b) Dr. Harding's daughters.
(c) The Proudies.
(d) No one.
13. How does Eleanor take part in a discussion about Mr. Slope with Mrs. Grantly?
(a) She questions his intentions.
(b) She mocks him.
(c) She criticizes him.
(d) She defends him.
14. In Chapter 1, who dies?
(a) Dr. Grantly, Sr.
(b) The Archdeacon.
(c) Dr. Harding.
(d) Dr. Proudie.
15. How are the Thornes involved in the current political situation of Chapter 22?
(a) They are very behind the times.
(b) They side with the Church of England.
(c) They are trying out Communism.
(d) They side with Parliament.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does "Barchester Towers" begin?
2. In Chapter 17, what does Mrs. Proudie tell Mr. Slope her role is?
3. What angers Mrs. Proudie at the party in Chapter 11?
4. Who does Eleanor defend in Chapter 18 when she discusses the wardenship with her father and the Archdeacon?
5. How does the Archdeacon feel about the Proudies when he meets them in Chapter 5?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)