|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Madeleine, "the signora", arrive late in Chapter 10?
(a) Because she was lost.
(b) To prove her point.
(c) Because she's always running late.
(d) To make a scene.
2. What does the Archdeacon feel he represents?
(a) High church tradition.
(b) The Parliament.
(c) Liberal movements.
(d) The common man.
3. How old is Mr. Arabin?
4. In Chapter 30, what does Mr. Arabin realize about Eleanor?
(a) That he loves her.
(b) That she is too smart for him.
(c) That she is difficult.
(d) That he hates her.
5. What does Mrs. Quiverful tell Mrs. Proudie about that makes Mrs. Proudie want to help her?
(a) The Quiverful's sick son.
(b) The Quiverful's gambling debts.
(c) The Quiverful's poverty.
(d) The Quiverful's broken carriage.
6. How does Mr. Arabin feel about reform in the church?
(a) He ignores it.
(b) He is for it.
(c) He is against it.
(d) He believes a little reform is good.
7. In Chapter 29, who comes to see Eleanor to discuss her relationship with Mr. Slope?
(a) The Archdeacon.
(b) Mr. Quiverful.
(d) The Bishop.
8. Why does Mrs. Quiverful visit Mrs. Proudie?
(a) To share some gossip.
(b) To get a recipe.
(c) To discuss the wardenship.
(d) To plot against Mr. Slope.
9. In Chapter 26, who meets to discuss the wardenship?
(a) Mr. Slope and Mrs. Quiverful.
(b) Mr. Slope and Mrs. Proudie.
(c) The Proudies and Mr. Slope.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Proudie.
10. For Mr. Arabin's first sermon, where do the Archdeacon and Eleanor have lunch with Mr. Arabin?
(a) Mr. Slope's.
(b) The Thornes'.
(c) The Archdeacon's.
(d) The church.
11. When the Bishop confronts Mrs. Proudie about the position of warden, what happens?
(a) He left the room angrily.
(b) He concedes to her opinion.
(c) He feels he got nowhere with her.
(d) He changes her mind.
12. In Chapter 16, what causes a rift in Mr. Slope's relationship with Mrs. Proudie?
(a) The plans for the cathedral.
(b) Her friendship with Eleanor.
(c) Her money.
(d) The wardenship.
13. In Chapter 7, what do the townspeople of Barchester think about Mr. Slope?
(a) They haven't met Mr. Slope yet.
(b) They think Mr. Slope is a reformer.
(c) They think Mr. Slope is old-fashioned.
(d) They think Mr. Slope is a fool.
14. In Chapter 4, how are Mr. Slope's religious beliefs described?
(c) New age.
15. In Chapter 17, who does Mrs. Proudie want for the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
(a) Dr. Harding.
(b) Mr. Proudie.
(c) Mr. Slope.
(d) Mr. Quiverful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes warden of Hiram's Hospital?
2. After Mr. Arabin's first sermon, how do the people feel about him?
3. How are the Archdeacon and Mr. Harding alike?
4. Where do the Proudies go after Mr. Slope's sermon?
5. Who does Eleanor defend in Chapter 18 when she discusses the wardenship with her father and the Archdeacon?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)