|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what position needs to be filled?
(b) Bishop of Barchester.
(c) Town Priest.
(d) King of England.
2. How is Mr. Arabin described in terms of his religion?
(a) A well-established author.
(b) A rising star.
(c) A fierce debater.
(d) A quiet preacher.
3. In Chapter 29, who comes to see Eleanor to discuss her relationship with Mr. Slope?
(a) The Archdeacon.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) Mr. Quiverful.
4. In Chapter 4, how are Mr. Slope's religious beliefs described?
(a) New age.
5. How are the Thornes involved in the current political situation of Chapter 22?
(a) They side with the Church of England.
(b) They are trying out Communism.
(c) They are very behind the times.
(d) They side with Parliament.
6. Where does the Proudie family prefer to live?
7. In Chapter 3, who is described as controlling what Dr. Proudie does?
(b) Mr. Slope.
(d) Mrs. Proudie.
8. What do the Proudies do when they return from London in Chapter 10?
(a) Throw a party.
(b) Confront the church officials.
(c) Move to a new house.
(d) Invite the Stanhopes over.
9. Who does Mr. Slope visit in Chapter 8?
(a) The Archdeacon.
(b) No one.
(c) The Proudies.
(d) Dr. Harding's daughters.
10. What does the church leadership do after Mr. Slope's sermon?
(a) They find Mr. Slope a job in another town.
(b) They ban Mr. Slope from preaching.
(c) They pay Mr. Slope to preach again.
(d) They have Mr. Slope write for them.
11. Who does the Archdeacon want as warden of Hiram's Hospital?
(a) Dr. Harding.
(c) Mrs. Proudie.
(d) Mr. Slope.
12. What do Mr. Stanhope and Charlotte discover about Bertie when they go through paperwork in Chapter 19?
(a) That he is planning on moving again.
(b) That he has accumulated debt.
(c) That he has come into money.
(d) That he has been seeing two women.
13. Who is first in the Harding family to learn that Dr. Harding has the wardenship?
(a) Mrs. Harding.
(d) Dr. Harding.
14. What does Eleanor do in the morning at the end of Chapter 29?
(a) Writes a letter to Mr. Slope.
(b) Finds a job.
(c) Packs her bags.
(d) Reads the newspaper.
15. What does Mrs. Quiverful tell Mrs. Proudie about that makes Mrs. Proudie want to help her?
(a) The Quiverful's broken carriage.
(b) The Quiverful's poverty.
(c) The Quiverful's gambling debts.
(d) The Quiverful's sick son.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Mr. Arabin?
2. How does Mr. Arabin feel when he stays with the Archdeacon?
3. What is revealed about Mr. Slope and the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14?
4. What angers Mrs. Proudie at the party in Chapter 11?
5. Who does Eleanor begin to befriend in Chapter 21?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)