|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who can go to Hiram's Hospital?
(a) The mentally ill.
(b) Retired men.
(d) Ill statesmen.
2. In Chapter 27, why can't Mr. Slope arrange a meeting with Dr. Harding?
(a) He has work in London.
(b) He is away at Plumstead.
(c) He never gets the invitation.
(d) He denies Mr. Slope's invitation.
3. What is Eleanor doing when Mr. Slope comes to visit her in Chapter 16?
(a) Playing with her son.
(b) Making lunch.
(c) Talking to her father.
(d) Getting dressed.
4. What do Mr. Stanhope and Charlotte discover about Bertie when they go through paperwork in Chapter 19?
(a) That he has accumulated debt.
(b) That he has come into money.
(c) That he is planning on moving again.
(d) That he has been seeing two women.
5. Why does Mr. Slope discuss the position of warden with Dr. Harding?
(a) He wants Dr. Harding to accept the position.
(b) He wants the position himself.
(c) He wants Dr. Harding to take his job seriously.
(d) He wants Dr. Harding to reject the position.
6. Who does Eleanor defend in Chapter 18 when she discusses the wardenship with her father and the Archdeacon?
(a) The Archdeacon.
(b) The Bishop.
(c) The signora.
(d) Mr. Slope.
7. Why does Mr. Slope feel he will have power in Barchester?
(a) Because the Proudies will be in London.
(b) Because he is more charismatic than the Proudies.
(c) Because the Proudies don't act on their power.
(d) Because the Proudies will give it to him.
8. During the debate over Sabbath schools in Chapter 5, what does the Archdeacon think of Mrs. Proudie's opinion?
(a) He thinks she is misguided.
(b) He thinks she is correct.
(c) He thinks she is ignorant.
(d) He thinks she shouldn't have one.
9. What does the church leadership do after Mr. Slope's sermon?
(a) They find Mr. Slope a job in another town.
(b) They pay Mr. Slope to preach again.
(c) They ban Mr. Slope from preaching.
(d) They have Mr. Slope write for them.
10. How does Mrs. Quiverful get to the Proudie's?
(a) She walks.
(b) She steals a car.
(c) She takes a horse.
(d) She hitches a ride.
11. How are the Archdeacon and Mr. Harding alike?
(a) They are both liberal.
(b) They are both only children.
(c) They are both preachers.
(d) They are both conservative.
12. How does Mr. Arabin respond when he hears that Eleanor might marry Mr. Slope?
(a) He visits Eleanor.
(b) He visits Mr. Slope.
(c) He writes the Bishop.
(d) He writes Eleanor.
13. What is the Archdeacon's home known as?
14. Who does the Archdeacon want as warden of Hiram's Hospital?
(a) Mr. Slope.
(b) Mrs. Proudie.
(c) Dr. Harding.
15. Who does Mr. Slope visit to discuss the wardenship in Chapter 24?
(a) Mr. Quiverful.
(b) Dr. Harding.
(c) Dr. Gwynne.
(d) Mrs. Proudie.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children do the Stanhopes have?
2. How old is Mr. Arabin?
3. In Chapter 29, who comes to see Eleanor to discuss her relationship with Mr. Slope?
4. Who enjoys meeting the signora?
5. In Chapter 6, who preaches at the church in Barchester as part of a challenge?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)