|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eleanor Harding feel about Mr. Slope's proposed Sunday school?
(a) She wants to teach it.
(b) She has no opinion.
(c) She disapproves of it.
(d) She approves of it.
2. In Chapter 30, what does Mr. Arabin realize about Eleanor?
(a) That she is difficult.
(b) That he hates her.
(c) That she is too smart for him.
(d) That he loves her.
3. Why does Madeleine, "the signora", arrive late in Chapter 10?
(a) To make a scene.
(b) To prove her point.
(c) Because she's always running late.
(d) Because she was lost.
4. What makes the Archdeacon feel that Eleanor has disgraced herself?
(a) Because she is friends with the signora.
(b) Because she has been dating two men.
(c) Because she receives letters from Mr. Slope.
(d) Because she gambled away her money.
5. Who is first in the Harding family to learn that Dr. Harding has the wardenship?
(b) Dr. Harding.
(d) Mrs. Harding.
6. At the party in Chapter 11, what do Bertie and the Bishop discuss?
(a) Foreign currency.
(b) Religious conversions.
(c) Barchester's debt.
(d) A new cathedral.
7. How many people live in the Thorne household?
8. Why does Mr. Slope discuss the position of warden with Dr. Harding?
(a) He wants Dr. Harding to accept the position.
(b) He wants Dr. Harding to reject the position.
(c) He wants the position himself.
(d) He wants Dr. Harding to take his job seriously.
9. Why does Mr. Slope feel he will have power in Barchester?
(a) Because the Proudies will be in London.
(b) Because the Proudies will give it to him.
(c) Because he is more charismatic than the Proudies.
(d) Because the Proudies don't act on their power.
10. What does Eleanor do in the morning at the end of Chapter 29?
(a) Reads the newspaper.
(b) Packs her bags.
(c) Writes a letter to Mr. Slope.
(d) Finds a job.
11. What is Eleanor doing when Mr. Slope comes to visit her in Chapter 16?
(a) Making lunch.
(b) Playing with her son.
(c) Getting dressed.
(d) Talking to her father.
12. In Chapter 1, what position needs to be filled?
(a) King of England.
(b) Bishop of Barchester.
(c) Town Priest.
13. Dr. Stanhope and his wife lead what type of lifestyle?
(a) One of luxury and idleness.
(b) One of parties and wastefulness.
(c) One of hard work and dedication.
(d) One of activity and involvement.
14. In Chapter 24, who does the Archdeacon ask for help with the wardenship?
(a) Mr. Arabin.
(c) Dr. Gwynne.
(d) Mr. Slope.
15. How many children do the Stanhopes have?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does the Archdeacon feel the church of Barchester needs?
2. Who can go to Hiram's Hospital?
3. What do the men do when Dr. Harding and Eleanor visit the Archdeacon?
4. In Chapter 4, how are Mr. Slope's religious beliefs described?
5. How does Mr. Arabin feel when he stays with the Archdeacon?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)