|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men do when Dr. Harding and Eleanor visit the Archdeacon?
(a) They go to inspect the church.
(b) They discuss what to do about Mr. Arabin.
(c) They stay home to talk.
(d) They start plotting against Mr. Slope.
2. What is Eleanor doing when Mr. Slope comes to visit her in Chapter 16?
(a) Playing with her son.
(b) Getting dressed.
(c) Talking to her father.
(d) Making lunch.
3. In Chapter 4, how are Mr. Slope's religious beliefs described?
(b) New age.
4. How many people live in the Thorne household?
5. Who can go to Hiram's Hospital?
(a) Retired men.
(c) Ill statesmen.
(d) The mentally ill.
6. In Chapter 17, what does Mrs. Proudie tell Mr. Slope her role is?
(a) The decider.
(b) The silent supporter.
(c) The unquestioned master.
(d) The power behind the throne.
7. How does Mr. Arabin feel when he stays with the Archdeacon?
(a) Confident and powerful.
(b) Alone and isolated.
(c) Intelligent and lucky.
(d) Worried and upset.
8. What does the Archdeacon say will happen if Mr. Slope marries Eleanor?
(a) Mr. Slope will have to get a new job.
(b) Mr. Slope will never be welcome in the family.
(c) Mr. Slope will have to find the hidden money.
(d) They will have to move far away.
9. Who does Mr. Slope visit in Chapter 8?
(a) The Archdeacon.
(b) No one.
(c) The Proudies.
(d) Dr. Harding's daughters.
10. What does Eleanor do when Mr. Slope asks her if she will marry Mr. Slope?
(a) She talks to Charlotte about it.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She leaves Plumstead.
(d) She cries.
11. How many children do the Stanhopes have?
12. What does Mr. Slope learn about Eleanor when he is visiting Mr. Quiverful?
(a) That she is easily tricked.
(b) That she has a large income.
(c) That she is well educated.
(d) That she is actually poor.
13. In Chapter 17, who does Mrs. Proudie want for the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital?
(a) Mr. Quiverful.
(b) Dr. Harding.
(c) Mr. Proudie.
(d) Mr. Slope.
14. What do Mr. Stanhope and Charlotte discover about Bertie when they go through paperwork in Chapter 19?
(a) That he is planning on moving again.
(b) That he has come into money.
(c) That he has accumulated debt.
(d) That he has been seeing two women.
15. In Chapter 26, who meets to discuss the wardenship?
(a) Mr. Slope and Mrs. Proudie.
(b) Mr. Slope and Mrs. Quiverful.
(c) The Proudies and Mr. Slope.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Proudie.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the Archdeacon's meeting with the Bishop about the wardenship in Chapter 18?
2. When it comes to the wardenship, who does the Bishop agree with at the end of Chapter 26?
3. What does the church leadership do after Mr. Slope's sermon?
4. Who is Dr. Proudie most associated with?
5. What does Eleanor think when Mr. Slope comes to visit her to show his support for her father as warden?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)