|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Mr. Stanhope and Charlotte discover about Bertie when they go through paperwork in Chapter 19?
(a) That he is planning on moving again.
(b) That he has been seeing two women.
(c) That he has accumulated debt.
(d) That he has come into money.
2. What does Mr. Slope learn about Eleanor when he is visiting Mr. Quiverful?
(a) That she has a large income.
(b) That she is actually poor.
(c) That she is well educated.
(d) That she is easily tricked.
3. Why does Mr. Slope discuss the position of warden with Dr. Harding?
(a) He wants the position himself.
(b) He wants Dr. Harding to accept the position.
(c) He wants Dr. Harding to take his job seriously.
(d) He wants Dr. Harding to reject the position.
4. Where is Mr. Slope a tutor?
5. What does the Archdeacon feel he represents?
(a) Liberal movements.
(b) The Parliament.
(c) High church tradition.
(d) The common man.
6. How does Eleanor feel when she finds out that Mr. Arabin thinks she will marry Mr. Slope?
7. What does the signora say that Mr. Slope must do to prove his love?
(a) Tell Eleanor about her.
(b) Give up his ambitions.
(c) Give the wardenship to Mr. Quiverful.
(d) Challenge the Bishop for his title.
8. Who enjoys meeting the signora?
(a) Mrs. Proudie.
(c) Mr. Proudie.
(d) Mr. Slope.
9. What has Dr. Stanhope done while collecting his salary from the church?
(b) Run another church.
(c) Worked as an accountant.
(d) Lived in Italy.
10. In Chapter 6, what does the Archdeacon feel the church of Barchester needs?
(b) A new congregation.
11. Who can go to Hiram's Hospital?
(a) The mentally ill.
(b) Retired men.
(c) Ill statesmen.
12. What does Eleanor do in the morning at the end of Chapter 29?
(a) Writes a letter to Mr. Slope.
(b) Packs her bags.
(c) Finds a job.
(d) Reads the newspaper.
13. After being unable to arrange a meeting with Dr. Harding, what does Mr. Slope do?
(a) Resign from his position.
(b) Give the wardenship to Mr. Quiverful.
(c) Write a letter to Eleanor.
(d) Write a letter to the signora.
14. In Chapter 7, what do the townspeople of Barchester think about Mr. Slope?
(a) They think Mr. Slope is a fool.
(b) They think Mr. Slope is old-fashioned.
(c) They haven't met Mr. Slope yet.
(d) They think Mr. Slope is a reformer.
15. How does the author describe the Thornes?
(d) Very modern.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 2, what makes Dr. Harding scandalous?
2. Why does Madeleine, "the signora", arrive late in Chapter 10?
3. What does Eleanor think when Mr. Slope comes to visit her to show his support for her father as warden?
4. Who does Dr. Harding go to in order to discuss the issue of Sunday school?
5. How does Mrs. Proudie respond to Mr. Slope's sermon?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)