|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eleanor take part in a discussion about Mr. Slope with Mrs. Grantly?
(a) She mocks him.
(b) She criticizes him.
(c) She questions his intentions.
(d) She defends him.
2. What is Eleanor doing when Mr. Slope comes to visit her in Chapter 16?
(a) Playing with her son.
(b) Getting dressed.
(c) Talking to her father.
(d) Making lunch.
3. What does Eleanor think when Mr. Slope comes to visit her to show his support for her father as warden?
(a) She decides she does not care for him.
(b) She is not sure if she can trust him.
(c) She realizes how much she likes him.
(d) She is positive he is trying to marry her.
4. In Chapter 2, what makes Dr. Harding scandalous?
(a) People worried he had a girlfriend.
(b) People thought he had been lying.
(c) People thought he had killed a man.
(d) People thought he made too much money.
5. Who does Mr. Slope visit in Chapter 8?
(a) The Archdeacon.
(b) The Proudies.
(c) No one.
(d) Dr. Harding's daughters.
6. How does the Archdeacon feel about the Proudies when he meets them in Chapter 5?
(a) He has no opinion of them.
(b) He disapproves of them.
(c) He is unsure they will succeed.
(d) He approves of them.
7. In Chapter 26, who meets to discuss the wardenship?
(a) Mr. Slope and Mrs. Quiverful.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Proudie.
(c) Mr. Slope and Mrs. Proudie.
(d) The Proudies and Mr. Slope.
8. Who is meant to run Hiram's Hospital?
(a) A warden.
(b) A nun.
(c) The King.
(d) A priest.
9. When the Bishop confronts Mrs. Proudie about the position of warden, what happens?
(a) He changes her mind.
(b) He feels he got nowhere with her.
(c) He concedes to her opinion.
(d) He left the room angrily.
10. How does Mrs. Proudie feel after her visit with Mrs. Quiverful in Chapter 25?
11. How are the Thornes involved in the current political situation of Chapter 22?
(a) They side with Parliament.
(b) They side with the Church of England.
(c) They are trying out Communism.
(d) They are very behind the times.
12. What do the Proudies do when they return from London in Chapter 10?
(a) Invite the Stanhopes over.
(b) Move to a new house.
(c) Throw a party.
(d) Confront the church officials.
13. Who gets to select the warden of Hiram's Hospital?
(a) The King.
(b) The Bishop.
(c) The Archdeacon.
14. In Chapter 27, why can't Mr. Slope arrange a meeting with Dr. Harding?
(a) He is away at Plumstead.
(b) He never gets the invitation.
(c) He denies Mr. Slope's invitation.
(d) He has work in London.
15. What is revealed about Mr. Slope and the wardenship of Hiram's Hospital in Chapter 14?
(a) That he is working to eliminate the position of warden.
(b) That he convinced Dr. Harding to turn down the wardenship.
(c) That he wants the position of warden himself.
(d) That he secretly raised the salary of the warden.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 16, what causes a rift in Mr. Slope's relationship with Mrs. Proudie?
2. What do Mr. Stanhope and Charlotte discover about Bertie when they go through paperwork in Chapter 19?
3. In Chapter 13, what does Mrs. Grantly tell Dr. Harding that she suspects about Mr. Slope?
4. In Chapter 24, who does the Archdeacon ask for help with the wardenship?
5. What makes Mr. Slope's relationship with the signora complicated?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)