|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Stanhope and his wife lead what type of lifestyle?
(a) One of luxury and idleness.
(b) One of parties and wastefulness.
(c) One of activity and involvement.
(d) One of hard work and dedication.
2. What is the Archdeacon's home known as?
3. In Chapter 7, what do the townspeople of Barchester think about Mr. Slope?
(a) They haven't met Mr. Slope yet.
(b) They think Mr. Slope is old-fashioned.
(c) They think Mr. Slope is a reformer.
(d) They think Mr. Slope is a fool.
4. What do the men do when Dr. Harding and Eleanor visit the Archdeacon?
(a) They start plotting against Mr. Slope.
(b) They discuss what to do about Mr. Arabin.
(c) They go to inspect the church.
(d) They stay home to talk.
5. How does the author describe the Thornes?
(a) Very modern.
6. How does Mr. Arabin feel about reform in the church?
(a) He believes a little reform is good.
(b) He ignores it.
(c) He is for it.
(d) He is against it.
7. Where is Mr. Slope a tutor?
8. How does Mr. Arabin feel when he stays with the Archdeacon?
(a) Confident and powerful.
(b) Worried and upset.
(c) Alone and isolated.
(d) Intelligent and lucky.
9. Who is first in the Harding family to learn that Dr. Harding has the wardenship?
(a) Mrs. Harding.
(c) Dr. Harding.
10. Who is meant to run Hiram's Hospital?
(a) A priest.
(b) A warden.
(c) A nun.
(d) The King.
11. How does Eleanor take part in a discussion about Mr. Slope with Mrs. Grantly?
(a) She questions his intentions.
(b) She mocks him.
(c) She criticizes him.
(d) She defends him.
12. Why does Mr. Slope discuss the position of warden with Dr. Harding?
(a) He wants Dr. Harding to take his job seriously.
(b) He wants Dr. Harding to accept the position.
(c) He wants Dr. Harding to reject the position.
(d) He wants the position himself.
13. In Chapter 3, who is described as controlling what Dr. Proudie does?
(c) Mrs. Proudie.
(d) Mr. Slope.
14. Why does Mr. Slope feel he will have power in Barchester?
(a) Because he is more charismatic than the Proudies.
(b) Because the Proudies will be in London.
(c) Because the Proudies don't act on their power.
(d) Because the Proudies will give it to him.
15. What angers Mrs. Proudie at the party in Chapter 11?
(a) Her dress gets torn.
(b) Mr. Proudie ignores her.
(c) Her couch is stained.
(d) She spills her drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Eleanor begin to befriend in Chapter 21?
2. What do the Proudies do when they return from London in Chapter 10?
3. What does Eleanor do when Mr. Slope asks her if she will marry Mr. Slope?
4. During the debate over Sabbath schools in Chapter 5, what does the Archdeacon think of Mrs. Proudie's opinion?
5. Why does Madeleine, "the signora", arrive late in Chapter 10?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)