|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who becomes warden of Hiram's Hospital?
(a) Dr. Harding.
(b) Mr. Quiverful.
(c) Mr. Slope.
(d) Mr. Stanhope.
2. In Chapter 29, who comes to see Eleanor to discuss her relationship with Mr. Slope?
(b) The Archdeacon.
(c) Mr. Quiverful.
(d) The Bishop.
3. What does the signora say that Mr. Slope must do to prove his love?
(a) Give the wardenship to Mr. Quiverful.
(b) Give up his ambitions.
(c) Tell Eleanor about her.
(d) Challenge the Bishop for his title.
4. When the Bishop confronts Mrs. Proudie about the position of warden, what happens?
(a) He feels he got nowhere with her.
(b) He changes her mind.
(c) He left the room angrily.
(d) He concedes to her opinion.
5. How does Eleanor take part in a discussion about Mr. Slope with Mrs. Grantly?
(a) She mocks him.
(b) She defends him.
(c) She criticizes him.
(d) She questions his intentions.
6. How does Mrs. Quiverful get to the Proudie's?
(a) She hitches a ride.
(b) She steals a car.
(c) She walks.
(d) She takes a horse.
7. What does the Archdeacon say will happen if Mr. Slope marries Eleanor?
(a) Mr. Slope will have to get a new job.
(b) Mr. Slope will never be welcome in the family.
(c) Mr. Slope will have to find the hidden money.
(d) They will have to move far away.
8. In Chapter 13, what does Mrs. Grantly tell Dr. Harding that she suspects about Mr. Slope?
(a) That Mr. Slope is trying to harm her.
(b) That Mr. Slope is trying to marry Eleanor.
(c) That Mr. Slope is stealing Dr. Harding's money.
(d) That Mr. Slope is bribing the congregation.
9. In Chapter 2, what makes Dr. Harding scandalous?
(a) People thought he had been lying.
(b) People worried he had a girlfriend.
(c) People thought he made too much money.
(d) People thought he had killed a man.
10. For Mr. Arabin's first sermon, where do the Archdeacon and Eleanor have lunch with Mr. Arabin?
(a) The Thornes'.
(b) The church.
(c) The Archdeacon's.
(d) Mr. Slope's.
11. How are the Thornes tied to Mr. Arabin?
(a) They are going to give him a place to stay.
(b) They are distant cousins.
(c) They own the property where his church is.
(d) They used to know him years ago.
12. After Mr. Arabin's first sermon, how do the people feel about him?
13. In Chapter 6, what does the Archdeacon feel the church of Barchester needs?
(d) A new congregation.
14. In Chapter 24, who does the Archdeacon ask for help with the wardenship?
(a) Mr. Slope.
(b) Mr. Arabin.
(d) Dr. Gwynne.
15. What does Eleanor do in the morning at the end of Chapter 29?
(a) Reads the newspaper.
(b) Writes a letter to Mr. Slope.
(c) Finds a job.
(d) Packs her bags.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Archdeacon feel he represents?
2. Who does Dr. Harding go to in order to discuss the issue of Sunday school?
3. What do Mr. Stanhope and Charlotte discover about Bertie when they go through paperwork in Chapter 19?
4. Who does Eleanor begin to befriend in Chapter 21?
5. In Chapter 6, who preaches at the church in Barchester as part of a challenge?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)