|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 29, who comes to see Eleanor to discuss her relationship with Mr. Slope?
(a) The Archdeacon.
(c) The Bishop.
(d) Mr. Quiverful.
2. What does Eleanor do in the morning at the end of Chapter 29?
(a) Writes a letter to Mr. Slope.
(b) Reads the newspaper.
(c) Packs her bags.
(d) Finds a job.
3. Who is Dr. Proudie most associated with?
(a) Merchants and traders.
(b) Other doctors.
(c) Church goers and townspeople.
(d) Royal families and Parliament.
4. What do Mr. Stanhope and Charlotte discover about Bertie when they go through paperwork in Chapter 19?
(a) That he has been seeing two women.
(b) That he has accumulated debt.
(c) That he is planning on moving again.
(d) That he has come into money.
5. When does "Barchester Towers" begin?
6. What does the Archdeacon feel he represents?
(a) Liberal movements.
(b) High church tradition.
(c) The common man.
(d) The Parliament.
7. How does Mrs. Proudie feel after her visit with Mrs. Quiverful in Chapter 25?
8. At the party in Chapter 11, what do Bertie and the Bishop discuss?
(a) Foreign currency.
(b) Barchester's debt.
(c) A new cathedral.
(d) Religious conversions.
9. Who gets to select the warden of Hiram's Hospital?
(b) The Bishop.
(c) The King.
(d) The Archdeacon.
10. In Chapter 1, what position needs to be filled?
(a) Bishop of Barchester.
(b) Town Priest.
(d) King of England.
11. What does Mrs. Quiverful tell Mrs. Proudie about that makes Mrs. Proudie want to help her?
(a) The Quiverful's poverty.
(b) The Quiverful's broken carriage.
(c) The Quiverful's gambling debts.
(d) The Quiverful's sick son.
12. When Eleanor talks to Bertie about Mr. Slope, what do they agree on?
(a) That Mr. Slope confuses them.
(b) That they will disagree about Mr. Slope.
(c) That Mr. Slope is right.
(d) That Mr. Slope is not trustworthy.
13. In Chapter 6, what does the Archdeacon feel the church of Barchester needs?
(a) A new congregation.
14. What does the church leadership do after Mr. Slope's sermon?
(a) They have Mr. Slope write for them.
(b) They ban Mr. Slope from preaching.
(c) They pay Mr. Slope to preach again.
(d) They find Mr. Slope a job in another town.
15. In Chapter 7, what do the townspeople of Barchester think about Mr. Slope?
(a) They think Mr. Slope is old-fashioned.
(b) They think Mr. Slope is a reformer.
(c) They think Mr. Slope is a fool.
(d) They haven't met Mr. Slope yet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Arabin meet at a party at the Stanhope's in Chapter 24?
2. What makes the Archdeacon feel that Eleanor has disgraced herself?
3. How are the Thornes tied to Mr. Arabin?
4. Who can go to Hiram's Hospital?
5. What does the Archdeacon say will happen if Mr. Slope marries Eleanor?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)