|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Eleanor feel when she finds out that Mr. Arabin thinks she will marry Mr. Slope?
2. In Chapter 1, what position needs to be filled?
(a) King of England.
(c) Bishop of Barchester.
(d) Town Priest.
3. After Mr. Arabin's first sermon, how do the people feel about him?
4. How does Mr. Arabin feel when he stays with the Archdeacon?
(a) Intelligent and lucky.
(b) Worried and upset.
(c) Confident and powerful.
(d) Alone and isolated.
5. In Chapter 4, how are Mr. Slope's religious beliefs described?
(b) New age.
6. What does Mr. Slope learn about Eleanor when he is visiting Mr. Quiverful?
(a) That she has a large income.
(b) That she is easily tricked.
(c) That she is actually poor.
(d) That she is well educated.
7. Who does Mr. Slope visit to discuss the wardenship in Chapter 24?
(a) Mrs. Proudie.
(b) Mr. Quiverful.
(c) Dr. Harding.
(d) Dr. Gwynne.
8. What does Eleanor do when Mr. Slope asks her if she will marry Mr. Slope?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She leaves Plumstead.
(c) She cries.
(d) She talks to Charlotte about it.
9. What do the men do when Dr. Harding and Eleanor visit the Archdeacon?
(a) They start plotting against Mr. Slope.
(b) They stay home to talk.
(c) They go to inspect the church.
(d) They discuss what to do about Mr. Arabin.
10. How does Dr. Harding feel about Mr. Slope's romantic interest in Eleanor?
(a) It confuses him.
(b) It disturbs him.
(c) It makes him want to resign the position of warden.
(d) He is happy.
11. In Chapter 13, what does Mrs. Grantly tell Dr. Harding that she suspects about Mr. Slope?
(a) That Mr. Slope is trying to marry Eleanor.
(b) That Mr. Slope is bribing the congregation.
(c) That Mr. Slope is trying to harm her.
(d) That Mr. Slope is stealing Dr. Harding's money.
12. What is Eleanor doing when Mr. Slope comes to visit her in Chapter 16?
(a) Playing with her son.
(b) Getting dressed.
(c) Making lunch.
(d) Talking to her father.
13. In Chapter 1, who dies?
(a) Dr. Harding.
(b) The Archdeacon.
(c) Dr. Grantly, Sr.
(d) Dr. Proudie.
14. Who does Eleanor defend in Chapter 18 when she discusses the wardenship with her father and the Archdeacon?
(a) Mr. Slope.
(b) The Bishop.
(c) The signora.
(d) The Archdeacon.
15. In Chapter 7, what do the townspeople of Barchester think about Mr. Slope?
(a) They think Mr. Slope is a reformer.
(b) They think Mr. Slope is old-fashioned.
(c) They haven't met Mr. Slope yet.
(d) They think Mr. Slope is a fool.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the Archdeacon feel that Eleanor has disgraced herself?
2. What makes Mr. Slope's relationship with the signora complicated?
3. How does Mrs. Proudie respond to Mr. Slope's sermon?
4. Who does Eleanor begin to befriend in Chapter 21?
5. What do Mr. Stanhope and Charlotte discover about Bertie when they go through paperwork in Chapter 19?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)