|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The military set up a ring of defense around the city of Bastogne and Easy Company's position was in a woody area across from what?
2. What did most of the Germans do when the American troops reached the village north of Noville in Chapter Thirteen, "Attack: Noville: January 14-17, 1945"?
3. The Siege of Bastogne lasted from December 20 to when?
4. Where did the American troops arrive with dirty uniforms and unshaven faces in Chapter Eighteen, "The Soldier's Dream Life: Austria: May 8-July 31, 1945"?
5. When did the division hold a parade that top Army leaders, including General Eisenhower, attended?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Easy Company ordered in mid-December, 1944? What did they find there?
2. What was the feeling of the men toward Captain Speirs in Chapter Fifteen, "The Best Feeling in the World: Mourmelon: February 25-April 2, 1945"?
3. What did the Easy Company men find in Austria in Chapter Eighteen, "The Soldier's Dream Life: Austria: May 8-July 31, 1945"?
4. Describe the conditions of the men fighting in Bastogne in Chapter Eleven, "They Got Us Surrounded - The Poor Bastards: Bastogne: December 19-31, 1944." How were the injured treated?
5. What was the defense of Hagenau like in Chapter Fourteen, "The Patrol: Haguenau: January 18-February 23, 1945"?
6. How was Easy Company's bravery illustrated in Bastogne in Chapter Ten, "Resting, Recovering, and Refitting: Mourmelon-le-Grand: November 26-December 18, 1944"?
7. After the success at Bastogne, where was Easy Company ordered in Chapter Eleven, "They Got Us Surrounded - The Poor Bastards: Bastogne: December 19-31, 1944"?
8. What did the soldiers find in the German people in Chapter Sixteen, "Getting to Know the Enemy: Germany: April 2-30, 1945"?
9. What was the experience like at Rachamps in Chapter Thirteen, "Attack: Noville: January 14-17, 1945"?
10. How did the men of Easy Company's morale change after Spiers took command in Chapter Twelve, "The Breaking Point: Bastogne: January 1-13, 1945"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the imagery and metaphors in Chapter Nine, "The Island: Holland: September 17-October 1, 1944." How is the island metaphorical for Easy Company and the individuals within it?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the life and career of Captain Herbert M. Sobel. Where was Sobel from? What characteristics did he exude? How well was he liked by his men?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conflicts between Captain Sobel and Winters in Chapter Three, "Duties of the Latrine Orderly: Aldbourne: September 1943-March 1944." What did Winters accept as punishment from Sobel? What was the reaction of the company members?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)