|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Berchtesgaden was a village populated with whom?
2. Where in France is Mourmelon located?
3. Who killed an insubordinate American soldier in Normandy, causing some disagreement about him among the troops?
4. Who did Major Winters encounter on one occasion after his promotion and stopped to make him salute him in Chapter Fifteen, "The Best Feeling in the World: Mourmelon: February 25-April 2, 1945"?
5. What holiday had the men of Easy Company been looking forward to before being ordered to Bastogne?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the defense of Hagenau like in Chapter Fourteen, "The Patrol: Haguenau: January 18-February 23, 1945"?
2. What was Berchtesgaden like? What did Easy Company find there? What was their objective?
3. Where was Easy Company ordered in mid-December, 1944? What did they find there?
4. What was the experience like for the men while staying in Berchtesgaden? What did they find in the rural people?
5. Describe the conditions of the men fighting in Bastogne in Chapter Eleven, "They Got Us Surrounded - The Poor Bastards: Bastogne: December 19-31, 1944." How were the injured treated?
6. What violence took place in Chapter Eighteen, "The Soldier's Dream Life: Austria: May 8-July 31, 1945"?
7. Who participated in the attack at Noville? Where was Easy Company ordered next?
8. How did the men of Easy Company's morale change after Spiers took command in Chapter Twelve, "The Breaking Point: Bastogne: January 1-13, 1945"?
9. How did Winters prove his loyalty to the men of Easy Company in Chapter Fourteen, "The Patrol: Haguenau: January 18-February 23, 1945"?
10. How were the troops set up in the battle at Bastogne in Chapter Eleven, "They Got Us Surrounded - The Poor Bastards: Bastogne: December 19-31, 1944"? What dangers were in this arrangement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the process of parachute training for the men of Easy Company. How did the men do with their first drops? What was morale like during this period in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the imagery and metaphors in Chapter Nine, "The Island: Holland: September 17-October 1, 1944." How is the island metaphorical for Easy Company and the individuals within it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the actions that Winters took during and after the drop at Utah Beach. What makes Winters' actions heroic? How did his actions lead to victory?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)