|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Army occupy in Chapter Seventeen, "Drinking Hitler's Champagne: Berchtesgaden: May 1-8, 1945"?
2. Points were awarded based on amount of time in active duty, whether the soldier was married, and what?
3. Who, when confronted with a written request from German General Luttwitz for surrender of Bastogne, replied "NUTS!"?
4. What did most of the Germans do when the American troops reached the village north of Noville in Chapter Thirteen, "Attack: Noville: January 14-17, 1945"?
5. Who ordered Easy Company north after their success in Noville?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the experience like for the men while staying in Berchtesgaden? What did they find in the rural people?
2. What was the feeling of the men toward Captain Speirs in Chapter Fifteen, "The Best Feeling in the World: Mourmelon: February 25-April 2, 1945"?
3. What was the experience like at Rachamps in Chapter Thirteen, "Attack: Noville: January 14-17, 1945"?
4. What led to Ronald C. Spiers taking command of Easy Company in Chapter Twelve, "The Breaking Point: Bastogne: January 1-13, 1945"?
5. How were the troops set up in the battle at Bastogne in Chapter Eleven, "They Got Us Surrounded - The Poor Bastards: Bastogne: December 19-31, 1944"? What dangers were in this arrangement?
6. What did the soldiers find in the German people in Chapter Sixteen, "Getting to Know the Enemy: Germany: April 2-30, 1945"?
7. What happened with the mission led by Lieutenant Peacock in Chapter Eleven, "They Got Us Surrounded - The Poor Bastards: Bastogne: December 19-31, 1944"?
8. Where was Easy Company ordered in mid-December, 1944? What did they find there?
9. What was Berchtesgaden like? What did Easy Company find there? What was their objective?
10. Who participated in the attack at Noville? Where was Easy Company ordered next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and describe the biography and career of Stephen E. Ambrose. What other works has Ambrose written? What awards did he receive for his work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of Chapter Ten, "Resting, Recovering, and Refitting: Mourmelon-le-Grand: November 26-December 18, 1944." What were the men of Easy Company greeted with in Mourmelon and Paris? How did this differ from their return to London after D-Day?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the symbolism and imagery in Chapter Four, "Look Out Hitler! Here We Come!: Slapton Sands, Upottery: April 1-June 5, 1944." What are the key themes in the chapter? How has the company's morale changed since the last chapter?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)