|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. German tanks eradicated Easy Company's supporting what in Chapter Eight, "Hell's Highway; Holland: October 2-November 25, 1944"?
2. In Chapter Six, "Move Out!: Carentan: July 7-July 12, 1944," Easy Company moved to reserve status and was tasked with what?
3. Who led the frontal assault while the machine gunners provided support on the German machine guns in Chapter Five, "Follow Me: Normandy, June 6, 1944"?
4. Who took over as Commanding Officer of Easy Company after their current commander was shot in Chapter Nine, "The Island: Holland: September 17-October 1, 1944"?
5. In Chapter Six, "Move Out!: Carentan: July 7-July 12, 1944," Easy Company had a brief reprieve from fighting with a full night of rest before being sent to defend Carentan from what direction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the scheduled parachute drops in Chapter Seven, "Healing Wounds and Scrubbed Missions: Aldbourne: July 13-September 16, 1944" canceled?
2. What relationship between Winters and Sobel is established in Chapter One, "We Wanted Those Wings: Camp Toccoa: July-December 1942"?
3. Where were the men of Easy Company fighting in the beginning of Chapter Nine, "The Island: Holland: September 17-October 1, 1944"?
4. Describe the change in tone in Chapter Three, "Duties of the Latrine Orderly: Aldbourne: September 1943-March 1944." How did the men feel about facing action?
5. What acknowledgments did Winters receive for his achievements in Chapter Nine, "The Island: Holland: September 17-October 1, 1944"?
6. What was the objective in Operation Market-Garden? How did the mission begin?
7. Where did the men of Easy Company return in Chapter Seven, "Healing Wounds and Scrubbed Missions: Aldbourne: July 13-September 16, 1944"? What were they greeted with there?
8. Where was Easy Company ordered to lead a battalion in Chapter Six, "Move Out!: Carentan: July 7-July 12, 1944"? What resistance did they meet?
9. Discuss the morale of Easy Company in Chapter Two, "Stand Up and Hook Up: Benning, Mackall, Bragg, Shanks: December 1942-September 1943." What did the men think of parachute training?
10. What were the exercises of Easy Company like in Chapter Three, "Duties of the Latrine Orderly: Aldbourne: September 1943-March 1944"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the imagery and metaphors in Chapter Nine, "The Island: Holland: September 17-October 1, 1944." How is the island metaphorical for Easy Company and the individuals within it?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the life and career of Captain Herbert M. Sobel. Where was Sobel from? What characteristics did he exude? How well was he liked by his men?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Chapter Ten, "Resting, Recovering, and Refitting: Mourmelon-le-Grand: November 26-December 18, 1944." What were the men of Easy Company greeted with in Mourmelon and Paris? How did this differ from their return to London after D-Day?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)