|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Six, "Move Out!: Carentan: July 7-July 12, 1944," Easy Company had a brief reprieve from fighting with a full night of rest before being sent to defend Carentan from what direction?
2. The Germans relied more on its counterattack rather than its what, as advised to the troops in Chapter Four, "Look Out Hitler! Here We Come!: Slapton Sands, Upottery: April 1-June 5, 1944"?
3. Who replaced Sobel as C.O. of Easy Company in Chapter Three, "Duties of the Latrine Orderly: Aldbourne: September 1943-March 1944"?
4. Who became the victim of several training exercise pranks that made him appear incompetent in Chapter Two, "Stand Up and Hook Up: Benning, Mackall, Bragg, Shanks: December 1942-September 1943"?
5. Who spied the vast number of ships and boats in the invading fleet and became awestruck in Chapter Four, "Look Out Hitler! Here We Come!: Slapton Sands, Upottery: April 1-June 5, 1944"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Winters and his men discover outside of the camp in Chapter Nine, "The Island: Holland: September 17-October 1, 1944"?
2. What theme is prominent in Chapter Five, "Follow Me: Normandy, June 6, 1944"? How is this exemplified in the men of Easy Company?
3. Who assisted Winters in taking out three German guns in Chapter Five, "Follow Me: Normandy, June 6, 1944"?
4. What was the objective in Operation Market-Garden? How did the mission begin?
5. How did the attitudes of the men of Easy Company change in Chapter Seven, "Healing Wounds and Scrubbed Missions: Aldbourne: July 13-September 16, 1944"?
6. What happened once Easy Company had reached Neunen in Chapter Eight, "Hell's Highway; Holland: October 2-November 25, 1944"?
7. What relationship between Winters and Sobel is established in Chapter One, "We Wanted Those Wings: Camp Toccoa: July-December 1942"?
8. What was the self esteem of Easy Company members like after completing parachute training? How did they interact with other soldiers?
9. Where was Easy Company ordered to lead a battalion in Chapter Six, "Move Out!: Carentan: July 7-July 12, 1944"? What resistance did they meet?
10. Where did Easy Company undergo parachute training? What was training like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conflicts between Captain Sobel and Winters in Chapter Three, "Duties of the Latrine Orderly: Aldbourne: September 1943-March 1944." What did Winters accept as punishment from Sobel? What was the reaction of the company members?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the German military and its strengths and weaknesses in World War II. How did this impact the tactics of the Allied forces? Were more attacks led by air, sea, or land?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting of Chapter Ten, "Resting, Recovering, and Refitting: Mourmelon-le-Grand: November 26-December 18, 1944." What were the men of Easy Company greeted with in Mourmelon and Paris? How did this differ from their return to London after D-Day?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)