|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Growing dissatisfaction with Sobel's lack of tactical skill made some officers consider approaching who about the problem in Chapter Three, "Duties of the Latrine Orderly: Aldbourne: September 1943-March 1944"?
2. The men of Easy Company traveled to where, which was eighty miles west of London, in September, 1943?
3. What caused the planes' V-formation to break off during the flight in on D-Day?
4. In Chapter Six, "Move Out!: Carentan: July 7-July 12, 1944," Easy Company had a brief reprieve from fighting with a full night of rest before being sent to defend Carentan from what direction?
5. What refers to a small pit, usually for one or two soldiers, dug as a shelter in a battle area?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the attitude of the men of Easy Company change in Chapter Three, "Duties of the Latrine Orderly: Aldbourne: September 1943-March 1944"?
2. How did Market-Garden impact the morale of Easy Company?
3. Describe the problems which took place in Easy Company's jump on D-Day. How did the leg bags work? Where did the troops land?
4. What happened once Easy Company had reached Neunen in Chapter Eight, "Hell's Highway; Holland: October 2-November 25, 1944"?
5. How did the men fight back against Sobel in Chapter Two, "Stand Up and Hook Up: Benning, Mackall, Bragg, Shanks: December 1942-September 1943"?
6. Who was the commanding officer of Easy Company in Chapter One, "We Wanted Those Wings: Camp Toccoa: July-December 1942"? How was he viewed by his men?
7. Describe the journey overseas in Chapter Three, "Duties of the Latrine Orderly: Aldbourne: September 1943-March 1944." Where did Easy Company travel?
8. What practice mission did the mission Easy Company undertake in preparation for D-Day? What backfired?
9. Where were the men of Easy Company fighting in the beginning of Chapter Nine, "The Island: Holland: September 17-October 1, 1944"?
10. How did the attitudes of the men of Easy Company change in Chapter Seven, "Healing Wounds and Scrubbed Missions: Aldbourne: July 13-September 16, 1944"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the invasion of Brecourt Manor and the assistance received from Lieutenant Ronald Speirs. How did Speirs' actions help Winters and his men?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the morale of the men of Easy Company in Chapter Seven, "Healing Wounds and Scrubbed Missions: Aldbourne: July 13-September 16, 1944." What led to fighting in the London bars? How did the locals feel about the successful missions of Easy Company and others?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the imagery and metaphors in Chapter Nine, "The Island: Holland: September 17-October 1, 1944." How is the island metaphorical for Easy Company and the individuals within it?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)