|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The plane carrying who was hit with bullets and exploded during its landing attempt in Chapter Four, "Look Out Hitler! Here We Come!: Slapton Sands, Upottery: April 1-June 5, 1944"?
2. How many German troops did Winters' group encounter sitting to rest in Chapter Nine, "The Island: Holland: September 17-October 1, 1944"?
3. In Chapter Eight, "Hell's Highway; Holland: October 2-November 25, 1944," commanding officers ordered the battalion to eliminate the German troops that located where?
4. The men of Easy Company were rewarded after D-Day in England with new gear, pay and what?
5. Who was promoted to 1st lieutenant in the first few weeks of basic training in Chapter One, "We Wanted Those Wings: Camp Toccoa: July-December 1942"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the battle at Carentan affect Easy Company's morale?
2. What was the ultimate failure in Market-Garden? How did the men perform?
3. What acknowledgments did Winters receive for his achievements in Chapter Nine, "The Island: Holland: September 17-October 1, 1944"?
4. Describe the journey overseas in Chapter Three, "Duties of the Latrine Orderly: Aldbourne: September 1943-March 1944." Where did Easy Company travel?
5. Discuss the morale of Easy Company in Chapter Two, "Stand Up and Hook Up: Benning, Mackall, Bragg, Shanks: December 1942-September 1943." What did the men think of parachute training?
6. Describe the change in tone in Chapter Three, "Duties of the Latrine Orderly: Aldbourne: September 1943-March 1944." How did the men feel about facing action?
7. How did the attitude of the men of Easy Company change in Chapter Three, "Duties of the Latrine Orderly: Aldbourne: September 1943-March 1944"?
8. What relationship between Winters and Sobel is established in Chapter One, "We Wanted Those Wings: Camp Toccoa: July-December 1942"?
9. How did the men fight back against Sobel in Chapter Two, "Stand Up and Hook Up: Benning, Mackall, Bragg, Shanks: December 1942-September 1943"?
10. Describe the problems which took place in Easy Company's jump on D-Day. How did the leg bags work? Where did the troops land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the process of parachute training for the men of Easy Company. How did the men do with their first drops? What was morale like during this period in the text?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the imagery and metaphors in Chapter Nine, "The Island: Holland: September 17-October 1, 1944." How is the island metaphorical for Easy Company and the individuals within it?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the actions that Winters took during and after the drop at Utah Beach. What makes Winters' actions heroic? How did his actions lead to victory?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)