|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Will not want to go to the naval academy?
2. What does Ellie encounter when she arrives at Mr. Morton's apartment?
3. How does Mr. Morton characterize Marco?
4. What does Mrs. Wagner want when she calls?
5. What does Will say about Lance and Jennifer that surprises Ellie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mr. Morton annoyed with Lance on Monday morning? How does Jennifer defend Lance to Mr. Morton?
2. What does Jennifer say about Ellie and Will?
3. What does Marco do with the sailboat when he spies a group of kids in an old, battered boat?
4. Why does Mr. Morton say Ellie cannot help the situation?
5. What do Will and Ellie do after their talk about Jennifer and Lance?
6. What question does Marco scream at his mother? What does he do after she replies?
7. What does Marco tell Ellie about his past and what is her impression of his relationship with Will?
8. What does Ellie say about Mr. Morton's abandoning his job and about the order?
9. What does Mr. Morton say he is doing? What does he advise Ellie to do?
10. How does Mr. Morton respond to what Ellie tells him about Will, Jennifer and Lance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Avalon High based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Avalon High is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Avalon High a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Avalon High is one book in a series of novels involving Ellie and Will and many of the other characters.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Avalon High. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Cabot's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Cabot use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)