|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Ellie furious with Mr. Morton?
2. What does Mr. Morton suggest Ellie may want to do?
3. What does Ellie encounter when she arrives at Mr. Morton's apartment?
4. What does Ellie say that makes Jennifer cry harder?
5. How does Ellie's mother describe the members of the Order of the Bear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marco tell Ellie about his past and what is her impression of his relationship with Will?
2. Why does Will have to dive into the water? What is Jennifer's response?
3. What do Will and Ellie say to each other about Lance and Jennifer?
4. What does Ellie face when she arrives at Mr. Morton's apartment? What does she do
5. Describe how Will learns about Lance and Jennifer's relationship.
6. What do Ellie and Jennifer talk about in the girls' bathroom?
7. What question does Marco scream at his mother? What does he do after she replies?
8. What does Marco do with the sailboat when he spies a group of kids in an old, battered boat?
9. What does Ellie say about Mr. Morton's abandoning his job and about the order?
10. Why does Mr. Morton say Ellie cannot help the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Avalon High based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Avalon High is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Avalon High a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Avalon High. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Cabot's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Cabot use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of good vs evil in Avalon High. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with good vs evil? Why? What are some symbols of good vs evil? Symbols of good? Symbols of evil? Which characters seem good? Which characters seem evil?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Avalon High. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of destiny in Avalon High. Consider these questions and any others that come to mind: How is destiny portrayed in the lives of the main characters? How is destiny contradicted by the actions of the characters? What kind of destiny was changed by the end of Avalon High? What is the plot suggesting about destiny?
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)