|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Prydwyn?
2. What does Marco say about his life before his mother married Will's father?
3. What does Will do after Marco is out of the conference room?
4. Where does Mr. Morton intend to go?
5. Where are Ellie's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Meg Cabot.
2. What in Cabot's background may have helped her in writing Avalon High? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Avalon High? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Avalon High including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Avalon High and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Avalon High.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Avalon High. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Avalon High. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 2,708 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)