|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellie's mother describe the members of the Order of the Bear?
2. How does Marco seem to feel about Will?
3. What does Ellie learn about Will's name?
4. What does Marco say about his life before his mother married Will's father?
5. Why does Jennifer like being with Lance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellie realize about the story about Arthur's birth and the gossip about Will's family?
2. What does Ellie say about Mr. Morton's abandoning his job and about the order?
3. How does Mr. Morton respond to what Ellie tells him about Will, Jennifer and Lance?
4. How does Ellie feel about what Mr. Morton is doing and what he told her?
5. What do Will and Ellie say to each other about Lance and Jennifer?
6. What do Ellie and Jennifer talk about in the girls' bathroom?
7. What do Will and Ellie do after their talk about Jennifer and Lance?
8. Why does Mr. Morton say Ellie cannot help the situation?
9. What does Marco do with the sailboat when he spies a group of kids in an old, battered boat?
10. What does Ellie decide to take with her to the ravine? How does the Darkness seem to react to her doing so?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of good vs evil in Avalon High. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with good vs evil? Why? What are some symbols of good vs evil? Symbols of good? Symbols of evil? Which characters seem good? Which characters seem evil?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Avalon High. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of destiny in Avalon High. Consider these questions and any others that come to mind: How is destiny portrayed in the lives of the main characters? How is destiny contradicted by the actions of the characters? What kind of destiny was changed by the end of Avalon High? What is the plot suggesting about destiny?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Avalon High based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Avalon High is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Avalon High a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 3
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Avalon High help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Avalon High? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Avalon High to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)