|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ellie want to have a private conversation with Lance?
2. What happens to Ellie when Will holds his hand?
3. What does Ellie ask Mr. Morton?
4. With whom was the Lady of Shalott in love?
5. What has Will told Jennifer that she believes he is sincere in saying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marco do with the sailboat when he spies a group of kids in an old, battered boat?
2. Why does Mr. Morton say Ellie cannot help the situation?
3. What happens in the aftermath of the revelation about Lance and Jennifer's relationship?
4. What does Ellie realize about the story about Arthur's birth and the gossip about Will's family?
5. What does Mr. Morton say he is doing? What does he advise Ellie to do?
6. What does Mrs. Wagner say when she calls Ellie that gets Ellie worried?
7. What do Will and Ellie say to each other about Lance and Jennifer?
8. What does Jennifer say about Ellie and Will?
9. Describe how Will learns about Lance and Jennifer's relationship.
10. What does Ellie say about Mr. Morton's abandoning his job and about the order?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Avalon High based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Avalon High is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Avalon High a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of good vs evil in Avalon High. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with good vs evil? Why? What are some symbols of good vs evil? Symbols of good? Symbols of evil? Which characters seem good? Which characters seem evil?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Avalon High. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of destiny in Avalon High. Consider these questions and any others that come to mind: How is destiny portrayed in the lives of the main characters? How is destiny contradicted by the actions of the characters? What kind of destiny was changed by the end of Avalon High? What is the plot suggesting about destiny?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Avalon High, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Avalon High. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)