|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lance say when he looks Will in the eye?
2. What does Mrs. Wagner want when she calls?
3. What happens to Ellie when Will holds his hand?
4. Of what is Will ignorant that everyone else knows?
5. Why does Will go into the water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellie suggest Will do concerning his father pressuring him about the naval academy?
2. What does Marco tell Ellie about his past and what is her impression of his relationship with Will?
3. What does Ellie realize about the story about Arthur's birth and the gossip about Will's family?
4. What does Mrs. Wagner say when she calls Ellie that gets Ellie worried?
5. Why is Mr. Morton annoyed with Lance on Monday morning? How does Jennifer defend Lance to Mr. Morton?
6. What does Jennifer do when she gets home from sailing? How do her parents act?
7. What does Ellie decide to take with her to the ravine? How does the Darkness seem to react to her doing so?
8. What happens in the aftermath of the revelation about Lance and Jennifer's relationship?
9. Why does Mr. Morton say Ellie cannot help the situation?
10. What does Marco do with the sailboat when he spies a group of kids in an old, battered boat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Avalon High and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Avalon High is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Avalon High is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 3
Will and she asks him if there is something upsetting him. He says no, but goes on to tell her that his dad is pressuring him to attend the Naval Academy for college. Will tells her that he will get in, but that he doesn't want to be in the military and that his father is having a hard time accepting his decision. Ellie tells him his father is probably pushing him into a Naval career because he feels it is the best thing for Will. Will expresses, very eloquently, that he doesn't want to go into the military because he believes in peace and negotiation. Ellie suggests Will talk to his step-mom and ask her to try and convince his father to ease up on talk of Will joining the military. Will finally told his father that he didn't intend to go to college at the Naval Academy. Will's father was so enraged that he kicked Will out of the house.
1. Discuss reasons Will's father might be pressuring Will to go to the Naval Academy? Consider the possibilities of both positive, e.g. he thinks it will be good for Will and negative, e.g. Mr. Wagner's ego is involved, when writing your answer. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Will's belief in peace and negotiations says about his values, morals and his character. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Will has not considered speaking to his mother about helping him and Ellie comes up the the idea? Discuss this in terms of their different family dynamics, their personalities and their genders. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,397 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)