|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jennifer say about Marco?
2. Where do the police take Ellie?
3. What does Ellie discover when she starts to get out of the pool later that afternoon?
4. What does Ellie not believe of what Mr. Morton tells her?
5. Why does Ellie want to have a private conversation with Lance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Wagner say when she calls Ellie that gets Ellie worried?
2. What does Mr. Morton say he is doing? What does he advise Ellie to do?
3. What does Ellie decide to take with her to the ravine? How does the Darkness seem to react to her doing so?
4. Why does Mr. Morton say Ellie cannot help the situation?
5. What does Jennifer do when she gets home from sailing? How do her parents act?
6. What does Ellie suggest Will do concerning his father pressuring him about the naval academy?
7. What question does Marco scream at his mother? What does he do after she replies?
8. What do Will and Ellie say to each other about Lance and Jennifer?
9. What does Marco tell Ellie about his past and what is her impression of his relationship with Will?
10. How does Ellie feel about what Mr. Morton is doing and what he told her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellie confronts her fears by going to the party and seeing Will. Not only does she confront fears about social situations with popular people, but she also needs to make sure that Will and Jennifer are a true couple. Will feels that he has met Ellie before, perhaps in a different life. He tells Ellie that Lance and Jennifer think he is nuts, but he believes what he is telling Ellie.
1. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself by confronting her fears and going to Will's party. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself that she wants to make certain that Will and Jennifer are a couple so she does not interfere with that. What does this say about her values, her morals, and her character? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think a person can meet a stranger and feel like they've known that person? Why or why not? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Avalon High. Questions that Cabot most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Cabot's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Cabot's probable agenda concerning that idea.
3. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
4. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
5. Research the life of Cabot and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 3
Will and she asks him if there is something upsetting him. He says no, but goes on to tell her that his dad is pressuring him to attend the Naval Academy for college. Will tells her that he will get in, but that he doesn't want to be in the military and that his father is having a hard time accepting his decision. Ellie tells him his father is probably pushing him into a Naval career because he feels it is the best thing for Will. Will expresses, very eloquently, that he doesn't want to go into the military because he believes in peace and negotiation. Ellie suggests Will talk to his step-mom and ask her to try and convince his father to ease up on talk of Will joining the military. Will finally told his father that he didn't intend to go to college at the Naval Academy. Will's father was so enraged that he kicked Will out of the house.
1. Discuss reasons Will's father might be pressuring Will to go to the Naval Academy? Consider the possibilities of both positive, e.g. he thinks it will be good for Will and negative, e.g. Mr. Wagner's ego is involved, when writing your answer. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Will's belief in peace and negotiations says about his values, morals and his character. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Will has not considered speaking to his mother about helping him and Ellie comes up the the idea? Discuss this in terms of their different family dynamics, their personalities and their genders. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,404 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)