|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Ellie when Will holds his hand?
2. How is Will's dog similar to King Arthur's dog?
3. What does Mr. Morton suggest Ellie may want to do?
4. How does Marco seem to feel about Will?
5. How does Mr. Morton respond to what Ellie tells him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marco tell Ellie about his past and what is her impression of his relationship with Will?
2. What does Mr. Morton say he is doing? What does he advise Ellie to do?
3. What question does Marco scream at his mother? What does he do after she replies?
4. What does Ellie decide to take with her to the ravine? How does the Darkness seem to react to her doing so?
5. Why does Mr. Morton say Ellie cannot help the situation?
6. Why does Will have to dive into the water? What is Jennifer's response?
7. What does Ellie suggest Will do concerning his father pressuring him about the naval academy?
8. What does Ellie say about Mr. Morton's abandoning his job and about the order?
9. Describe how Will learns about Lance and Jennifer's relationship.
10. What does Mr. Morton think is going to happen since Will now knows about Jennifer and Lance? Whom does Mr. Morton blame?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Will and Marco. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ellie and Jennifer. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Avalon High help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Avalon High. Questions that Cabot most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Cabot's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Cabot's probable agenda concerning that idea.
3. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
4. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
5. Research the life of Cabot and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 3
Ellie confronts her fears by going to the party and seeing Will. Not only does she confront fears about social situations with popular people, but she also needs to make sure that Will and Jennifer are a true couple. Will feels that he has met Ellie before, perhaps in a different life. He tells Ellie that Lance and Jennifer think he is nuts, but he believes what he is telling Ellie.
1. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself by confronting her fears and going to Will's party. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself that she wants to make certain that Will and Jennifer are a couple so she does not interfere with that. What does this say about her values, her morals, and her character? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think a person can meet a stranger and feel like they've known that person? Why or why not? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)