|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will do after Marco is out of the conference room?
2. Why did Marco once attack Mr. Morton?
3. What does Ellie intuitively know about Mr. Morton?
4. What does Marco ask Ellie?
5. What does Mr. Morton say about Ellie's role in all this?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellie decide to take with her to the ravine? How does the Darkness seem to react to her doing so?
2. What happens when Marco arrives at the conference room?
3. What do Ellie and Jennifer talk about in the girls' bathroom?
4. What does Marco do with the sailboat when he spies a group of kids in an old, battered boat?
5. Describe how Will learns about Lance and Jennifer's relationship.
6. What does Ellie face when she arrives at Mr. Morton's apartment? What does she do
7. What does Jennifer do when she gets home from sailing? How do her parents act?
8. What does Jennifer say about Ellie and Will?
9. Why does Will have to dive into the water? What is Jennifer's response?
10. What question does Marco scream at his mother? What does he do after she replies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Avalon High based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Avalon High is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Avalon High a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Avalon High, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Avalon High. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Avalon High is one book in a series of novels involving Ellie and Will and many of the other characters.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 1,154 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)