|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marco call Lance?
2. How does Mr. Morton characterize Marco?
3. What happens to Ellie when Will holds his hand?
4. What does Lance say when he looks Will in the eye?
5. What does Mr. Morton suggest Ellie may want to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Will have to dive into the water? What is Jennifer's response?
2. What does Jennifer say about Ellie and Will?
3. How does Mr. Morton respond to what Ellie tells him about Will, Jennifer and Lance?
4. Describe how Will learns about Lance and Jennifer's relationship.
5. What does Marco do with the sailboat when he spies a group of kids in an old, battered boat?
6. What does Mrs. Wagner say when she calls Ellie that gets Ellie worried?
7. What does Jennifer do when she gets home from sailing? How do her parents act?
8. What does Ellie face when she arrives at Mr. Morton's apartment? What does she do
9. What do Will and Ellie do after their talk about Jennifer and Lance?
10. Why does Mr. Morton say Ellie cannot help the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of Avalon High and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of Avalon High and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Avalon High.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Avalon High. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Avalon High. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Avalon High based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Avalon High is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Avalon High a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)