|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Ellie's parents?
2. Why does Will not want to go to the naval academy?
3. How does Marco seem to feel about Will?
4. Why does Will go into the water?
5. What does Ellie pick up to take with her to the ravine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marco tell Ellie about his past and what is her impression of his relationship with Will?
2. What do Ellie and Jennifer talk about in the girls' bathroom?
3. Why does Mr. Morton say Ellie cannot help the situation?
4. How does Ellie feel about what Mr. Morton is doing and what he told her?
5. What does Ellie face when she arrives at Mr. Morton's apartment? What does she do
6. What does Ellie suggest Will do concerning his father pressuring him about the naval academy?
7. What do Will and Ellie do after their talk about Jennifer and Lance?
8. What question does Marco scream at his mother? What does he do after she replies?
9. What does Jennifer say about Ellie and Will?
10. Why is Mr. Morton annoyed with Lance on Monday morning? How does Jennifer defend Lance to Mr. Morton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Avalon High. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Cabot's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Cabot use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Ellie is relieved that no one bothers her with orientation on her first day and is happy that some "geeky girls" allow her to sit with them at lunch. She doesn't want to stand out, but she also doesn't want to be labeled as a loner or a nerd. Ellie is having her own issues; mainly she is insecure about everything. She feels she is too tall, not the kind of girl boys like, she is boring, etc.
1. Discuss Ellie's personality based on the first sentence above. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Pretend Ellie is your best friend and talk to her about her insecurities. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss what might be the correlation between Ellie having two parents who are college professors and how she feels about herself. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Avalon High based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Avalon High is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Avalon High a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)