|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Lady of Shalott do when the man she loves rejects her?
2. What does Marco ask Ellie?
3. What does Ellie discover when she starts to get out of the pool later that afternoon?
4. What does Ellie say when Will asks her about her knowledge of Jennifer and Lance?
5. What does Will do after Marco is out of the conference room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Marco arrives at the conference room?
2. What do Will and Ellie do after their talk about Jennifer and Lance?
3. What happens in the aftermath of the revelation about Lance and Jennifer's relationship?
4. What does Mrs. Wagner say when she calls Ellie that gets Ellie worried?
5. What does Ellie suggest Will do concerning his father pressuring him about the naval academy?
6. What does Ellie say about Mr. Morton's abandoning his job and about the order?
7. Why does Will have to dive into the water? What is Jennifer's response?
8. What does Jennifer do when she gets home from sailing? How do her parents act?
9. What does Ellie realize about the story about Arthur's birth and the gossip about Will's family?
10. What does Marco tell Ellie about his past and what is her impression of his relationship with Will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Avalon High. Questions that Cabot most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Cabot's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Cabot's probable agenda concerning that idea.
3. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
4. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
5. Research the life of Cabot and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Avalon High? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Avalon High including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Avalon High and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Ellie is relieved that no one bothers her with orientation on her first day and is happy that some "geeky girls" allow her to sit with them at lunch. She doesn't want to stand out, but she also doesn't want to be labeled as a loner or a nerd. Ellie is having her own issues; mainly she is insecure about everything. She feels she is too tall, not the kind of girl boys like, she is boring, etc.
1. Discuss Ellie's personality based on the first sentence above. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Pretend Ellie is your best friend and talk to her about her insecurities. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss what might be the correlation between Ellie having two parents who are college professors and how she feels about herself. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,185 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)