Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Wagner say about Will?
2. How does Mr. Morton respond to what Ellie tells him?
3. What does Ellie tell Mr. Morton she is unwilling to do?
4. What does Lance say when he looks Will in the eye?
5. How is Will's dog similar to King Arthur's dog?
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Avalon High and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Avalon High is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Avalon High? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Avalon High including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Avalon High and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Avalon High belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel or mystery?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)