|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poem is Ellie assigned to write a report on for class?
2. Who is Nancy?
3. Whom does Ellie spot on the trail?
4. What is Lance doing when Ellie finds him?
5. What does Ellie wonder about what she saw at the bottom of the ravine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What poem is initially assigned to Ellie in class? How does she get a different one?
2. What gossip does Liz tell Ellie about Will's family?
3. How does Will interact with Ellie's parents?
4. What does Ellie notice when she runs by a ravine? Why does she think it odd?
5. How does Ellie find Lance and Jennifer together right before Ellie is leaving the party?
6. Summarize what Ellie says about the Arthurian legend.
7. Describe Ellie's encounter with Mr. Morton at the football game.
8. What do Ellie and Will write to each other in emails when Ellie gets home from track tryouts?
9. Why does Ellie pull out her school directory?
10. What do Will and Ellie talk about on the widow's walk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Avalon High? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Avalon High including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Avalon High and your own live to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Will and Marco. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ellie and Jennifer. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Avalon High help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of good vs evil in Avalon High. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with good vs evil? Why? What are some symbols of good vs evil? Symbols of good? Symbols of evil? Which characters seem good? Which characters seem evil?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Avalon High. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of destiny in Avalon High. Consider these questions and any others that come to mind: How is destiny portrayed in the lives of the main characters? How is destiny contradicted by the actions of the characters? What kind of destiny was changed by the end of Avalon High? What is the plot suggesting about destiny?
This section contains 1,125 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)