|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will say about his mother?
2. Why is Will hurt on the field?
3. Where does Will say he just ends up sometimes?
4. What is kept at the history museum in Washington, D. C.?
5. What does Liz say makes Ellie part of the in crowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ellie decide to take with her to the ravine? How does the Darkness seem to react to her doing so?
2. Why is Will being pressured by his father?
3. Who is the Lady of the Lake?
4. Why does Mr. Morton say Ellie cannot help the situation?
5. What does Marco tell Ellie about his past and what is her impression of his relationship with Will?
6. How does Ellie find Lance and Jennifer together right before Ellie is leaving the party?
7. What does Ellie tell Will about Marco and how does Will respond?
8. What happens in the aftermath of the revelation about Lance and Jennifer's relationship?
9. What do Will and Ellie talk about on the widow's walk?
10. What does Jennifer want when Ellie talks to her at Ellie's locker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What is a plot? What are the most important elements of a plot and their definition? Do all novels have a plot? Why or why not?
2. Write a brief synopsis of the plot of Avalon High, identifying where the various elements of the plot occur (Exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, resolution or denouement). Do you find it difficult to identify the plot? Why or why not? What about the various elements of the plot?
3. Identify the major sub-plots and their elements in Avalon High. (The subplots may not contain every element of a major plot). Do the sub-plots add to the main plot? Why or why not. Are the sub-plots interesting in and of themselves? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of good vs evil in Avalon High. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with good vs evil? Why? What are some symbols of good vs evil? Symbols of good? Symbols of evil? Which characters seem good? Which characters seem evil?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Avalon High. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of destiny in Avalon High. Consider these questions and any others that come to mind: How is destiny portrayed in the lives of the main characters? How is destiny contradicted by the actions of the characters? What kind of destiny was changed by the end of Avalon High? What is the plot suggesting about destiny?
Essay Topic 3
Avalon High is one book in a series of novels involving Ellie and Will and many of the other characters.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
This section contains 3,455 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)