|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellie observe about Marco?
2. Why was Marco Campbell kicked out of school the year before?
3. What does Ellie see at the bottom of the ravine?
4. Liz and Stacy think Ellie should try to date ____________.
5. What does Ellie's mother quote at dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ellie and Will talk about as they are floating in the pool?
2. How does Ellie relate Jennifer, Marco, Will, and Lance to the Arthurian legend?
3. Summarize what Ellie says about the Arthurian legend.
4. What do Will and Ellie talk about on the widow's walk?
5. What does Marco do that confuses Ellie?
6. How does Ellie feel at her first day at school?
7. Who does Ellie see on the trail with the man she saw in the ravine?
8. Why is Will being pressured by his father?
9. Describe Ellie's encounter with Mr. Morton at the football game.
10. How does Will interact with Ellie's parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ellie is relieved that no one bothers her with orientation on her first day and is happy that some "geeky girls" allow her to sit with them at lunch. She doesn't want to stand out, but she also doesn't want to be labeled as a loner or a nerd. Ellie is having her own issues; mainly she is insecure about everything. She feels she is too tall, not the kind of girl boys like, she is boring, etc.
1. Discuss Ellie's personality based on the first sentence above. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Pretend Ellie is your best friend and talk to her about her insecurities. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss what might be the correlation between Ellie having two parents who are college professors and how she feels about herself. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Avalon High is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Avalon High is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)