|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marco invite Ellie to do the next day?
2. Why does Mr. Morton yell at Ellie?
3. To what did Admiral Wagner supposedly have his friend assigned?
4. What does Will say about Ellie making the track team?
5. What does Ellie see at the bottom of the ravine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellie find Lance and Jennifer together right before Ellie is leaving the party?
2. Summarize what Ellie says about the Arthurian legend.
3. Why is Ellie running with her father in a wooded area?
4. What does Will do when he and Ellie pass a lemonade stand?
5. What do Will and Ellie talk about on the widow's walk?
6. Why are Ellie and her parents in Annapolis for a year?
7. Who does Ellie see on the trail with the man she saw in the ravine?
8. What happens as the teens prepare to go sailing?
9. What poem is initially assigned to Ellie in class? How does she get a different one?
10. What do Ellie and Will talk about as they are floating in the pool?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Avalon High is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Ellie confronts her fears by going to the party and seeing Will. Not only does she confront fears about social situations with popular people, but she also needs to make sure that Will and Jennifer are a true couple. Will feels that he has met Ellie before, perhaps in a different life. He tells Ellie that Lance and Jennifer think he is nuts, but he believes what he is telling Ellie.
1. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself by confronting her fears and going to Will's party. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself that she wants to make certain that Will and Jennifer are a couple so she does not interfere with that. What does this say about her values, her morals, and her character? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think a person can meet a stranger and feel like they've known that person? Why or why not? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of good vs evil in Avalon High. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with good vs evil? Why? What are some symbols of good vs evil? Symbols of good? Symbols of evil? Which characters seem good? Which characters seem evil?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Avalon High. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of destiny in Avalon High. Consider these questions and any others that come to mind: How is destiny portrayed in the lives of the main characters? How is destiny contradicted by the actions of the characters? What kind of destiny was changed by the end of Avalon High? What is the plot suggesting about destiny?
This section contains 1,239 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)