|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Will say about his mother?
2. What does Ellie not understand concerning Mr. Morton?
3. Why does Mr. Morton yell at Ellie?
4. Will suggests that Ellie should ______________.
5. What does Liz say makes Ellie part of the in crowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Will do when he and Ellie pass a lemonade stand?
2. Why does Ellie pull out her school directory?
3. Why is Will being pressured by his father?
4. Describe Ellie's encounter with Mr. Morton at the football game.
5. What do Will and Ellie talk about on the widow's walk?
6. What does Ellie notice when she runs by a ravine? Why does she think it odd?
7. What does Jennifer want when Ellie talks to her at Ellie's locker?
8. How does Will interact with Ellie's parents?
9. How does Ellie find Lance and Jennifer together right before Ellie is leaving the party?
10. What do Ellie and Will write to each other in emails when Ellie gets home from track tryouts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of Avalon High and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of Avalon High and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Ellie is relieved that no one bothers her with orientation on her first day and is happy that some "geeky girls" allow her to sit with them at lunch. She doesn't want to stand out, but she also doesn't want to be labeled as a loner or a nerd. Ellie is having her own issues; mainly she is insecure about everything. She feels she is too tall, not the kind of girl boys like, she is boring, etc.
1. Discuss Ellie's personality based on the first sentence above. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Pretend Ellie is your best friend and talk to her about her insecurities. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss what might be the correlation between Ellie having two parents who are college professors and how she feels about herself. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Avalon High is? Explain your response.
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)