Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ellie happy when she observes Jennifer and Will?
2. Where does Will's father work now?
3. Why is Will hurt on the field?
4. What does Ellie think of the school itself?
5. What kind of songs has Will been listening to in the ravine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the teens prepare to go sailing?
2. Why does Ellie pull out her school directory?
3. What does Mr. Morton say he is doing? What does he advise Ellie to do?
4. What does Ellie suggest Will do concerning his father pressuring him about the naval academy?
5. Why are Ellie and her parents in Annapolis for a year?
6. Why does Will come over to Ellie's home and why is Ellie happy about that?
7. What does Mrs. Wagner say when she calls Ellie that gets Ellie worried?
8. What happens in the aftermath of the revelation about Lance and Jennifer's relationship?
9. What does Marco tell Ellie about his past and what is her impression of his relationship with Will?
10. How does Ellie feel about what Mr. Morton is doing and what he told her?
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Avalon High is? Explain your response.
Ellie is relieved that no one bothers her with orientation on her first day and is happy that some "geeky girls" allow her to sit with them at lunch. She doesn't want to stand out, but she also doesn't want to be labeled as a loner or a nerd. Ellie is having her own issues; mainly she is insecure about everything. She feels she is too tall, not the kind of girl boys like, she is boring, etc.
1. Discuss Ellie's personality based on the first sentence above. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Pretend Ellie is your best friend and talk to her about her insecurities. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Discuss what might be the correlation between Ellie having two parents who are college professors and how she feels about herself. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Avalon High.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Avalon High. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Avalon High. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)