|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Will moved a lot in his childhood?
2. What makes Ellie happy when she observes Jennifer and Will?
3. Who smiles at Ellie as she is walking down the hall?
4. Why does Ellie read up on Camelot?
5. What is an extracurricular sport Liz enjoys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ellie and Will talk about as they are floating in the pool?
2. How does Ellie relate Jennifer, Marco, Will, and Lance to the Arthurian legend?
3. How does Will interact with Ellie's parents?
4. How does Ellie find Lance and Jennifer together right before Ellie is leaving the party?
5. What happens during the football game with Will, Lance, and one of the other team members?
6. Describe Ellie's encounter with Mr. Morton at the football game.
7. Why does Ellie pull out her school directory?
8. What do Will and Ellie talk about on the widow's walk?
9. What does Marco do that confuses Ellie?
10. Why is Ellie running with her father in a wooded area?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Avalon High based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Avalon High is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Avalon High a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of good vs evil in Avalon High. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with good vs evil? Why? What are some symbols of good vs evil? Symbols of good? Symbols of evil? Which characters seem good? Which characters seem evil?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Avalon High. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of destiny in Avalon High. Consider these questions and any others that come to mind: How is destiny portrayed in the lives of the main characters? How is destiny contradicted by the actions of the characters? What kind of destiny was changed by the end of Avalon High? What is the plot suggesting about destiny?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Avalon High. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Cabot's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Cabot use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,219 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)