|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Morton yell at Ellie?
2. Where is Geoff when the story opens?
3. About what does Ellie ask Will while they are chatting?
4. Why is Will hurt on the field?
5. What poem is Ellie assigned to write a report on for class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ellie pull out her school directory?
2. How does Will interact with Ellie's parents?
3. What does Marco do that confuses Ellie?
4. Summarize what Ellie says about the Arthurian legend.
5. What does Jennifer want when Ellie talks to her at Ellie's locker?
6. What happens as the teens prepare to go sailing?
7. What do Ellie and Will write to each other in emails when Ellie gets home from track tryouts?
8. How does Ellie relate Jennifer, Marco, Will, and Lance to the Arthurian legend?
9. What do Will and Ellie talk about on the widow's walk?
10. What happens during the football game with Will, Lance, and one of the other team members?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Avalon High.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Avalon High. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Avalon High. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 2
Ellie confronts her fears by going to the party and seeing Will. Not only does she confront fears about social situations with popular people, but she also needs to make sure that Will and Jennifer are a true couple. Will feels that he has met Ellie before, perhaps in a different life. He tells Ellie that Lance and Jennifer think he is nuts, but he believes what he is telling Ellie.
1. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself by confronting her fears and going to Will's party. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself that she wants to make certain that Will and Jennifer are a couple so she does not interfere with that. What does this say about her values, her morals, and her character? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think a person can meet a stranger and feel like they've known that person? Why or why not? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Avalon High. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Cabot's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Cabot use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)