|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Ellie ask Will while they are chatting?
2. Will suggests that Ellie should ______________.
3. Who is Nancy?
4. What does Ellie remember as she is about to leave Will's party?
5. To whom is Lance talking on the sidelines?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jennifer want when Ellie talks to her at Ellie's locker?
2. What do Will and Ellie talk about on the widow's walk?
3. How does Ellie feel about Marco after Will has left the two of them in the hall?
4. Why is Will being pressured by his father?
5. How does Ellie find Lance and Jennifer together right before Ellie is leaving the party?
6. What do Ellie and Will talk about as they are floating in the pool?
7. What does Marco do that confuses Ellie?
8. Why does Ellie pull out her school directory?
9. How does Ellie feel at her first day at school?
10. What does Will do when he and Ellie pass a lemonade stand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Avalon High is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of good vs evil in Avalon High. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with good vs evil? Why? What are some symbols of good vs evil? Symbols of good? Symbols of evil? Which characters seem good? Which characters seem evil?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Avalon High. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of destiny in Avalon High. Consider these questions and any others that come to mind: How is destiny portrayed in the lives of the main characters? How is destiny contradicted by the actions of the characters? What kind of destiny was changed by the end of Avalon High? What is the plot suggesting about destiny?
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadow are in Avalon High? How does foreshadow contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadow in Avalon High including why you believe it is foreshadow. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from Avalon High and your own live to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,115 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)