|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellie see at the bottom of the ravine?
2. What poem is Ellie assigned to write a report on for class?
3. To what did Admiral Wagner supposedly have his friend assigned?
4. What poem does Ellie trade with someone else so she does not have to do the one assigned her?
5. Why is Will hurt on the field?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Lady of the Lake?
2. What do Ellie and Will write to each other in emails when Ellie gets home from track tryouts?
3. What happens as Will is holding the sword?
4. What question does Marco scream at his mother? What does he do after she replies?
5. Why is Will being pressured by his father?
6. How does Ellie relate Jennifer, Marco, Will, and Lance to the Arthurian legend?
7. What do Ellie and Jennifer talk about in the girls' bathroom?
8. How does Will interact with Ellie's parents?
9. What happens as the teens prepare to go sailing?
10. Summarize what Ellie says about the Arthurian legend.
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Avalon High help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Avalon High? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Avalon High to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Avalon High. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Cabot's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Cabot use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Avalon High.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Avalon High. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Avalon High. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)