Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ellie happy when she observes Jennifer and Will?
2. Where does Will's father work now?
3. Why is Will hurt on the field?
4. What does Ellie think of the school itself?
5. What kind of songs has Will been listening to in the ravine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the teens prepare to go sailing?
2. Why does Ellie pull out her school directory?
3. What does Mr. Morton say he is doing? What does he advise Ellie to do?
4. What does Ellie suggest Will do concerning his father pressuring him about the naval academy?
5. Why are Ellie and her parents in Annapolis for a year?
6. Why does Will come over to Ellie's home and why is Ellie happy about that?
7. What does Mrs. Wagner say when she calls Ellie that gets Ellie worried?
8. What happens in the aftermath of the revelation about Lance and Jennifer's relationship?
9. What does Marco tell Ellie about his past and what is her impression of his relationship with Will?
10. How does Ellie feel about what Mr. Morton is doing and what he told her?
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of Avalon High and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of Avalon High and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Avalon High is one book in a series of novels involving Ellie and Will and many of the other characters.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think Avalon High is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)