Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ellie happy when she observes Jennifer and Will?
2. Where does Will's father work now?
3. Why is Will hurt on the field?
4. What does Ellie think of the school itself?
5. What kind of songs has Will been listening to in the ravine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the teens prepare to go sailing?
2. Why does Ellie pull out her school directory?
3. What does Mr. Morton say he is doing? What does he advise Ellie to do?
4. What does Ellie suggest Will do concerning his father pressuring him about the naval academy?
5. Why are Ellie and her parents in Annapolis for a year?
6. Why does Will come over to Ellie's home and why is Ellie happy about that?
7. What does Mrs. Wagner say when she calls Ellie that gets Ellie worried?
8. What happens in the aftermath of the revelation about Lance and Jennifer's relationship?
9. What does Marco tell Ellie about his past and what is her impression of his relationship with Will?
10. How does Ellie feel about what Mr. Morton is doing and what he told her?
Essay Topic 1
Avalon High is one book in a series of novels involving Ellie and Will and many of the other characters.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Ellie confronts her fears by going to the party and seeing Will. Not only does she confront fears about social situations with popular people, but she also needs to make sure that Will and Jennifer are a true couple. Will feels that he has met Ellie before, perhaps in a different life. He tells Ellie that Lance and Jennifer think he is nuts, but he believes what he is telling Ellie.
1. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself by confronting her fears and going to Will's party. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself that she wants to make certain that Will and Jennifer are a couple so she does not interfere with that. What does this say about her values, her morals, and her character? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think a person can meet a stranger and feel like they've known that person? Why or why not? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Avalon High. Questions that Cabot most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Cabot's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Cabot's probable agenda concerning that idea.
3. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
4. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
5. Research the life of Cabot and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)