|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poem is Ellie assigned to write a report on for class?
2. To what did Admiral Wagner supposedly have his friend assigned?
3. What does Ellie observe about Marco?
4. What does Ellie feel as she is running?
5. What does Ellie not understand concerning Mr. Morton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What poem is initially assigned to Ellie in class? How does she get a different one?
2. How does Ellie feel at her first day at school?
3. How does Ellie find Lance and Jennifer together right before Ellie is leaving the party?
4. What do Ellie and Will talk about as they are floating in the pool?
5. Why does Ellie pull out her school directory?
6. Who does Ellie see on the trail with the man she saw in the ravine?
7. How does Will interact with Ellie's parents?
8. What does Will do when he and Ellie pass a lemonade stand?
9. Why are Ellie and her parents in Annapolis for a year?
10. What does Marco do that seems to be a deliberate attempt to upset Will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many novels, and perhaps a majority, of novels ends on a happy note. Discuss the following:
1. Why do you think many (most?) people want what they perceive as a happy or good ending to a novel? Explain your opinion. Do you? Why or why not?
2. What are three reasons to read fiction? Discuss each one in light of Avalon High and whether or not it fulfills all three, two or one of the reasons you mention. Give examples as to why Avalon High is or is not successful in fulfilling the reasons you discuss.
3. Do you think reading solely for entertainment is as good a reason to read as any other? Why or why not? Can any work of fiction or non-fiction, no matter how poorly written, enlighten, teach, stimulate thought? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of good vs evil in Avalon High. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with good vs evil? Why? What are some symbols of good vs evil? Symbols of good? Symbols of evil? Which characters seem good? Which characters seem evil?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Avalon High. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of destiny in Avalon High. Consider these questions and any others that come to mind: How is destiny portrayed in the lives of the main characters? How is destiny contradicted by the actions of the characters? What kind of destiny was changed by the end of Avalon High? What is the plot suggesting about destiny?
Essay Topic 3
Ellie confronts her fears by going to the party and seeing Will. Not only does she confront fears about social situations with popular people, but she also needs to make sure that Will and Jennifer are a true couple. Will feels that he has met Ellie before, perhaps in a different life. He tells Ellie that Lance and Jennifer think he is nuts, but he believes what he is telling Ellie.
1. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself by confronting her fears and going to Will's party. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself that she wants to make certain that Will and Jennifer are a couple so she does not interfere with that. What does this say about her values, her morals, and her character? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think a person can meet a stranger and feel like they've known that person? Why or why not? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)