Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ellie happy when she observes Jennifer and Will?
2. Where does Will's father work now?
3. Why is Will hurt on the field?
4. What does Ellie think of the school itself?
5. What kind of songs has Will been listening to in the ravine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the teens prepare to go sailing?
2. Why does Ellie pull out her school directory?
3. What does Mr. Morton say he is doing? What does he advise Ellie to do?
4. What does Ellie suggest Will do concerning his father pressuring him about the naval academy?
5. Why are Ellie and her parents in Annapolis for a year?
6. Why does Will come over to Ellie's home and why is Ellie happy about that?
7. What does Mrs. Wagner say when she calls Ellie that gets Ellie worried?
8. What happens in the aftermath of the revelation about Lance and Jennifer's relationship?
9. What does Marco tell Ellie about his past and what is her impression of his relationship with Will?
10. How does Ellie feel about what Mr. Morton is doing and what he told her?
Avalon High is one book in a series of novels involving Ellie and Will and many of the other characters.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are two disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier or more difficult (or about the same) to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Will and Marco. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Ellie and Jennifer. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in Avalon High help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of good vs evil in Avalon High. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with good vs evil? Why? What are some symbols of good vs evil? Symbols of good? Symbols of evil? Which characters seem good? Which characters seem evil?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Avalon High. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of destiny in Avalon High. Consider these questions and any others that come to mind: How is destiny portrayed in the lives of the main characters? How is destiny contradicted by the actions of the characters? What kind of destiny was changed by the end of Avalon High? What is the plot suggesting about destiny?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)