Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ellie happy when she observes Jennifer and Will?
2. Where does Will's father work now?
3. Why is Will hurt on the field?
4. What does Ellie think of the school itself?
5. What kind of songs has Will been listening to in the ravine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the teens prepare to go sailing?
2. Why does Ellie pull out her school directory?
3. What does Mr. Morton say he is doing? What does he advise Ellie to do?
4. What does Ellie suggest Will do concerning his father pressuring him about the naval academy?
5. Why are Ellie and her parents in Annapolis for a year?
6. Why does Will come over to Ellie's home and why is Ellie happy about that?
7. What does Mrs. Wagner say when she calls Ellie that gets Ellie worried?
8. What happens in the aftermath of the revelation about Lance and Jennifer's relationship?
9. What does Marco tell Ellie about his past and what is her impression of his relationship with Will?
10. How does Ellie feel about what Mr. Morton is doing and what he told her?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Avalon High. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Cabot's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Cabot use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Avalon High.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Avalon High. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Avalon High. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Meg Cabot.
2. What in Cabot's background may have helped her in writing Avalon High? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)