|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poem is Ellie assigned to write a report on for class?
2. What kind of songs has Will been listening to in the ravine?
3. What does Ellie's mother quote at dinner?
4. What does Ellie leave the bleachers to do?
5. Who smiles at Ellie as she is walking down the hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Will being pressured by his father?
2. What does Ellie notice when she runs by a ravine? Why does she think it odd?
3. How does Ellie feel about Marco after Will has left the two of them in the hall?
4. Summarize what Ellie says about the Arthurian legend.
5. What poem is initially assigned to Ellie in class? How does she get a different one?
6. Who does Ellie see on the trail with the man she saw in the ravine?
7. What happens as the teens prepare to go sailing?
8. How does Will interact with Ellie's parents?
9. What gossip does Liz tell Ellie about Will's family?
10. How does Ellie find Lance and Jennifer together right before Ellie is leaving the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Avalon High based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Avalon High is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Avalon High a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in Avalon High. Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the symbols she does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Cabot chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Cabot's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, clifthangers, deux ex machina, etc...), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Cabot use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme).
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Meg Cabot.
2. What in Cabot's background may have helped her in writing Avalon High? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)