|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Ellie happy when she observes Jennifer and Will?
2. Where does Will's father work now?
3. Why is Will hurt on the field?
4. What does Ellie think of the school itself?
5. What kind of songs has Will been listening to in the ravine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens as the teens prepare to go sailing?
2. Why does Ellie pull out her school directory?
3. What does Mr. Morton say he is doing? What does he advise Ellie to do?
4. What does Ellie suggest Will do concerning his father pressuring him about the naval academy?
5. Why are Ellie and her parents in Annapolis for a year?
6. Why does Will come over to Ellie's home and why is Ellie happy about that?
7. What does Mrs. Wagner say when she calls Ellie that gets Ellie worried?
8. What happens in the aftermath of the revelation about Lance and Jennifer's relationship?
9. What does Marco tell Ellie about his past and what is her impression of his relationship with Will?
10. How does Ellie feel about what Mr. Morton is doing and what he told her?
Essay Topic 1
Will and she asks him if there is something upsetting him. He says no, but goes on to tell her that his dad is pressuring him to attend the Naval Academy for college. Will tells her that he will get in, but that he doesn't want to be in the military and that his father is having a hard time accepting his decision. Ellie tells him his father is probably pushing him into a Naval career because he feels it is the best thing for Will. Will expresses, very eloquently, that he doesn't want to go into the military because he believes in peace and negotiation. Ellie suggests Will talk to his step-mom and ask her to try and convince his father to ease up on talk of Will joining the military. Will finally told his father that he didn't intend to go to college at the Naval Academy. Will's father was so enraged that he kicked Will out of the house.
1. Discuss reasons Will's father might be pressuring Will to go to the Naval Academy? Consider the possibilities of both positive, e.g. he thinks it will be good for Will and negative, e.g. Mr. Wagner's ego is involved, when writing your answer. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Will's belief in peace and negotiations says about his values, morals and his character. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Will has not considered speaking to his mother about helping him and Ellie comes up the the idea? Discuss this in terms of their different family dynamics, their personalities and their genders. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Avalon High belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss Avalon High based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if Avalon High is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider Avalon High a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 3,374 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)