|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an extracurricular sport Liz enjoys?
2. What does the Order of the Bear believe?
3. What does Will say about his mother?
4. Why does Ellie decide to go for a run when she gets home from school?
5. What is kept at the history museum in Washington, D. C.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ellie relate Jennifer, Marco, Will, and Lance to the Arthurian legend?
2. What do Ellie and Will write to each other in emails when Ellie gets home from track tryouts?
3. Who does Ellie see on the trail with the man she saw in the ravine?
4. What does Ellie notice when she runs by a ravine? Why does she think it odd?
5. Why is Will being pressured by his father?
6. Summarize what Ellie says about the Arthurian legend.
7. Why does Ellie pull out her school directory?
8. What gossip does Liz tell Ellie about Will's family?
9. What does Will do when he and Ellie pass a lemonade stand?
10. What poem is initially assigned to Ellie in class? How does she get a different one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of interesting questions raised by Avalon High. Questions that Cabot most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Cabot's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Cabot's probable agenda concerning that idea.
3. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
4. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
5. Research the life of Cabot and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 2
Ellie confronts her fears by going to the party and seeing Will. Not only does she confront fears about social situations with popular people, but she also needs to make sure that Will and Jennifer are a true couple. Will feels that he has met Ellie before, perhaps in a different life. He tells Ellie that Lance and Jennifer think he is nuts, but he believes what he is telling Ellie.
1. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself by confronting her fears and going to Will's party. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself that she wants to make certain that Will and Jennifer are a couple so she does not interfere with that. What does this say about her values, her morals, and her character? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think a person can meet a stranger and feel like they've known that person? Why or why not? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of Avalon High and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of Avalon High and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)