|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellie feel as she is running?
2. Who does Ellie think is nice?
3. Whom was Lancelot dating?
4. Why is Will hurt on the field?
5. Where is Geoff when the story opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Summarize what Ellie says about the Arthurian legend.
2. How does Will interact with Ellie's parents?
3. What happens as the teens prepare to go sailing?
4. Who does Ellie see on the trail with the man she saw in the ravine?
5. What does Marco do that seems to be a deliberate attempt to upset Will?
6. What poem is initially assigned to Ellie in class? How does she get a different one?
7. What happens during the football game with Will, Lance, and one of the other team members?
8. Describe Ellie's encounter with Mr. Morton at the football game.
9. What does Ellie notice when she runs by a ravine? Why does she think it odd?
10. Why are Ellie and her parents in Annapolis for a year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Avalon High belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Ellie confronts her fears by going to the party and seeing Will. Not only does she confront fears about social situations with popular people, but she also needs to make sure that Will and Jennifer are a true couple. Will feels that he has met Ellie before, perhaps in a different life. He tells Ellie that Lance and Jennifer think he is nuts, but he believes what he is telling Ellie.
1. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself by confronting her fears and going to Will's party. Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss what Ellie demonstrates about herself that she wants to make certain that Will and Jennifer are a couple so she does not interfere with that. What does this say about her values, her morals, and her character? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
3. Do you think a person can meet a stranger and feel like they've known that person? Why or why not? Use examples from Avalon High and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of good vs evil in Avalon High. Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with good vs evil? Why? What are some symbols of good vs evil? Symbols of good? Symbols of evil? Which characters seem good? Which characters seem evil?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in Avalon High. Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of destiny in Avalon High. Consider these questions and any others that come to mind: How is destiny portrayed in the lives of the main characters? How is destiny contradicted by the actions of the characters? What kind of destiny was changed by the end of Avalon High? What is the plot suggesting about destiny?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)