|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What poem does Ellie trade with someone else so she does not have to do the one assigned her?
2. What does Ellie observe about Marco?
3. Whom does Ellie spot on the trail?
4. Will pulls Ellie to the __________to talk to her.
5. Why does Ellie read up on Camelot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marco do that confuses Ellie?
2. What does Marco do that seems to be a deliberate attempt to upset Will?
3. What does Ellie notice when she runs by a ravine? Why does she think it odd?
4. How does Will interact with Ellie's parents?
5. Why does Ellie pull out her school directory?
6. What does Will do when he and Ellie pass a lemonade stand?
7. Why are Ellie and her parents in Annapolis for a year?
8. How does Ellie feel at her first day at school?
9. What gossip does Liz tell Ellie about Will's family?
10. Who does Ellie see on the trail with the man she saw in the ravine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Oftentimes, a book has more of a character-driven plot rather than action driven, and oftentimes the other way. Some books seem to balance the two. Discuss the following:
1. What do you think it means to say that a plot is character driven? Action driven?
2. How do you think a plot differs if it is character driven versus action driven?
3. Which type of plot do you find more interesting? Why?
4. Do you think it is possible to have a plot where action and character development share equal time? Why or why not.
5. What type of plot do you think Avalon High is? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Avalon High belongs to the fantasy genre. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "genre" and give several examples of three other genres in addition to the fantasy genre.
2. Discuss two reasons why it might be useful to label a text by genre and two reasons it might be disadvantageous to label a text by genre.
3. What do you think is the difference between a fantasy and a historical novel or mystery?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in Avalon High.
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of Avalon High. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of Avalon High. How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)