|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Ellie spot on the trail?
(a) Her father stopped and stooped over.
(b) One of the guys from her class.
(c) Her brother Geoff.
(d) A man and a boy and girl.
2. About what does Ellie ask Will while they are chatting?
(a) Why he came over to her house.
(b) Where he lives.
(c) Where he goes to school.
(d) About Jennifer.
3. What is Will's father rumored to have done?
(a) Killed his best friend.
(b) Worked as a Soviet spy.
(c) Escaped from a prison camp in Vietnam.
(d) Killed his first wife.
4. What does Marco invite Ellie to do the next day?
(a) Go to a polo game.
(b) Go to a horse show.
(c) Go swimming.
(d) Go sailing with them.
5. To what did Admiral Wagner supposedly have his friend assigned?
(a) An assignment on a battle cruiser.
(b) A cushy job at the Pentagon.
(c) A dangerous war zone.
(d) A backwater naval base in Alaska.
6. Why is a member of the other team taken off on a stretcher?
(a) Lance hits him really hard as payback.
(b) Lance loses his temper and trips the guy.
(c) The boy breaks his leg when he falls wrong.
(d) The boy knocks his head on the goal post.
7. What does Ellie see as she opens her eyes while floating in the pool?
(a) Jennifer is on the edge of the pool.
(b) A hawk is about to grab a squirrel in the oak tree.
(c) Will is standing over her.
(d) Her mother is frowning at her.
8. What is Ellie's parents' work status?
(a) Ellie's father is an unemployed lawyer and her mother is a physician.
(b) They are on sabbatical.
(c) They both quit their jobs recently.
(d) They work together in their own business.
9. Where is Geoff when the story opens?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) Away at college.
(c) In the Army.
(d) At a swim meet.
10. What is Will's relationship to Marco Campbell?
(a) Step brother.
11. What does Ellie observe about Marco?
(a) He seems well liked.
(b) He seems like he is on drugs.
(c) He seems shy.
(d) He seems surly.
12. What does Ellie do that is out of character for her?
(a) Smiles back when the man on the trail smiles at her.
(b) Ignores a friendly hi from the boy on the trail.
(c) Barely says hi to her brother.
(d) Ignores her father and goes around him.
13. About what does Ellie joke concerning Will's feeling connected to her?
(a) He's connected to her future.
(b) He believes in reincarnation.
(c) He has a brain tumor.
(d) His uses that line on all the girls.
14. Why is Ellie running with her father in the woods?
(a) They are trying to catch up to the neighborhood people in the run program.
(b) They are chasing a fox.
(c) She is supporting his exercise routine.
(d) They are chasing their Boston terrier.
15. What does Ellie think of the school itself?
(a) It's wonderful.
(b) It's gloomy.
(c) It's old and ugly.
(d) It's run down.
Short Answer Questions
1. Will pulls Ellie to the __________to talk to her.
2. Why did Will look Ellie up in the school directory?
3. What does Ellie remember as she is about to leave Will's party?
4. What does Ellie wonder about what she saw at the bottom of the ravine?
5. How does Will answer Ellie's question?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)