|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ellie's mother invite Will to do?
(a) Stay for a swim before he and Ellie go out to eat.
(b) Stay for a swim and dinner.
(c) Talk to Ellie's father about the upcoming football game.
(d) Go with them to deliver some food.
2. Liz and Stacy think Ellie should try to date ____________.
(c) Anyone but Lance.
3. What does Will confide to Ellie?
(a) Jennifer broke up with him a few months ago.
(b) His father is missing.
(c) His family is moving at the end of the school year.
(d) Things have been strange for him lately.
4. Where are Ellie and her parents living at the opening of the story?
(c) Washington, D. C.
5. To what did Admiral Wagner supposedly have his friend assigned?
(a) A cushy job at the Pentagon.
(b) A dangerous war zone.
(c) A backwater naval base in Alaska.
(d) An assignment on a battle cruiser.
6. What is kept at the history museum in Washington, D. C.?
(a) One of the first anagrams ever discovered from ancient Greece.
(b) A book that had been in Ellie's family for generations.
(c) The sword Ellie's father is writing about.
(d) A rare antique humidor.
7. What is Lance doing when Ellie finds him?
(a) Arm wrestling with Will.
(b) Arguing with Marco.
(c) Making out with Jennifer.
(d) Talking to Will's father about the game.
8. What does Ellie talk Liz and Stacy into doing after the game?
(a) Going out for pizza.
(b) Spending the night at her house that night.
(c) Going to Will's pool party.
(d) Going to a late-night matinee at the movies.
9. Why does Mr. Morton yell at Ellie?
(a) She refuses to give the poetry report.
(b) She accidentally bumps into him.
(c) She traded off the Beowulf poem.
(d) She squirts ketchup on him.
10. What does Will say about his mother?
(a) She lives in London.
(b) She died when he was born.
(c) She lives in New York.
(d) She died in a car accident when he was six.
11. Where is Geoff when the story opens?
(a) In the hospital.
(b) In the Army.
(c) At a swim meet.
(d) Away at college.
12. Why was Marco Campbell kicked out of school the year before?
(a) For excessive absences.
(b) For trying to kill a teacher.
(c) For assault on the principal.
(d) For trying to rape another student.
13. How long has Ellie known Liz?
(a) About a year.
(b) One day.
(c) Her whole life.
(d) Several weeks.
14. How does Ellie interpret all of Will's friendly gestures?
(a) As flirting.
(b) As nervousness.
(c) As friendship.
(d) He is not that friendly to her.
15. What kind of songs has Will been listening to in the ravine?
(d) Troubadour music.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ellie's mother quote at dinner?
2. What does Ellie leave the bleachers to do?
3. What is Will's relationship to Marco Campbell?
4. Will pulls Ellie to the __________to talk to her.
5. About what does Ellie joke concerning Will's feeling connected to her?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)