|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what did Admiral Wagner supposedly have his friend assigned?
(a) An assignment on a battle cruiser.
(b) A backwater naval base in Alaska.
(c) A cushy job at the Pentagon.
(d) A dangerous war zone.
2. What poem does Ellie trade with someone else so she does not have to do the one assigned her?
(a) "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner."
(b) "Sonnet 46."
(c) "The Lady of Shalot."
(d) "The Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock."
3. Why is Will hurt on the field?
(a) He is hit when jumping for a pass.
(b) He is hit when jumping into the end zone.
(c) One of the linemen slips and lets a tackle by.
(d) Lance does not guard him well.
4. Who is Nancy?
(a) Ellie's older sister.
(b) The housekeeper.
(c) Ellie's best friend.
(d) Ellie's aunt.
5. What does Will say about Ellie making the track team?
(a) Ellie will be a real asset to them.
(b) Ellie made the team because of her looks.
(c) Ellie needs to watch her back with Stacy.
(d) Ellie needs to watch her back with Liz.
6. Why has Will moved a lot in his childhood?
(a) His father is in the military.
(b) His mother is in the military.
(c) His father is a travel guide writer.
(d) His mother loves to go to new places.
7. What is one thing Ellie enjoys doing?
(a) Drifting in the pool.
(b) Creating cryptograms.
(c) Talking on the phone.
(d) Researching antiques for her father.
8. Why was Marco Campbell kicked out of school the year before?
(a) For trying to kill a teacher.
(b) For trying to rape another student.
(c) For assault on the principal.
(d) For excessive absences.
9. Where does the group go sailing the next day?
(b) Long Island.
10. What does Ellie do in anticipation of attending the game and party at Will's house?
(a) Buys a new pair of jeans.
(b) Has her hair permed.
(c) Tries to dress glamorously.
(d) Has her hair streaked.
11. What is kept at the history museum in Washington, D. C.?
(a) The sword Ellie's father is writing about.
(b) A rare antique humidor.
(c) One of the first anagrams ever discovered from ancient Greece.
(d) A book that had been in Ellie's family for generations.
12. What does Ellie observe about Marco?
(a) He seems shy.
(b) He seems like he is on drugs.
(c) He seems surly.
(d) He seems well liked.
13. What does Ellie think of the majority of the kids at school?
(a) They are boring.
(b) They are nice.
(c) They are snobs.
(d) They are weird.
14. Who smiles at Ellie as she is walking down the hall?
(a) A guy she saw in the principal's office when she enrolled.
(b) One of the guys she saw in the woods.
(c) A guy she meet in biology class.
(d) The captain of the football team.
15. How long has Ellie known Liz?
(a) Several weeks.
(b) Her whole life.
(c) One day.
(d) About a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Will say he just ends up sometimes?
2. What does Ellie see as she opens her eyes while floating in the pool?
3. Will suggests that Ellie should ______________.
4. Why does Ellie decide to go for a run when she gets home from school?
5. What does Ellie do that is out of character for her?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)