* Ellie Harrison and her parents are in Annapolis for a year while her parents are on sabbatical. Her father is writing a book about a sword.
* The sword is plain and is kept in a history museum in Washington, D.C.
* Ellie misses her best friend, Nancy and has been bored since her brother, Geoff, left for college.
* Ellie is named after the Lady of Shalott, and she does not like this. Ellie and her father go running in a wooded area.
* Ellie's mother wants her to run some to get her out of the swimming pool and so her father will exercise.
* The trail where Ellie is running begins to be surrounded by dense trees. Ellie sees a older boy.
* The man Ellie sees is at the bottom of a ravine, and she wonders how he got through the dense brush to get down there...
This section contains 3,450 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)