|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped care for the Roosevelts' children?
2. What sort of problem did Elliott Roosevelt have?
3. What did the Roosevelts create that promoted employment?
4. Why didn't the Roosevelts return from their summer vacation on time?
5. Which of the following countries did Eleanor and Franklin not visit the summer after they were married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Eleanor states that she didn't like being separated from her children. Do you think this affected her duties as a politician's wife? Why?
2. In what capacity was Eleanor working as a journalist during the 1930's?
3. What was Eleanor's life like at Hyde Park after Franklin died?
4. What view did Eleanor have of World War I? How do readers know?
5. Where was Eleanor and what was she doing when the news of Pearl Harbor breaks?
6. Compare Eleanor's views of how Russians were helping the world and how Americans were helping the world in 1959.
7. How did Eleanor's work with the UN impact her interest in the Soviet Union?
8. Why do you think it was the hardest for Eleanor to send her youngest child to boarding school?
9. How was Eleanor introduced to politics? What was her attitude toward them at first?
10. Compare Eleanor's work on the Human Rights Committee to her work in the General Assembly. Which did she enjoy more?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you think the loss of Eleanor's parents at a relatively early age may have had an impact on her? If so, how do you think it would have affected her life and the content she included in this book?
Essay Topic 2
How did certain events in Eleanor's book evoke a climatic feeling? What is it about Franklin's death that evokes a sense of climax? Does it have anything to do with anticipation or what you already knew before you read Eleanor's book?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Eleanor as a shy, young wife and Eleanor at the time the book ends. How did Eleanor's life change? How did she stay the same?
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)