|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the editor claim the Holocaust represents for the Jewish people?
2. How long did Mala resist torture at the hands of the SS?
3. What did the camp Sara was relocated to at Rostock have?
4. What did the rabbis start to sing according to Sara?
5. What does the Editor say of Fela's values in the Editor's Afterword?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were concentration camp prisoners denied based on the afterword?
2. What was the story Mrs. Helena shared with Sara and the other infirmary workers?
3. What did Magna believe about dignity as human beings in Chapter 25?
4. Where did the Auschwitz prisoners go to after the march?
5. Why did the women's digestive systems rebel against the food from the Red Cross?
6. What did the copy of Goebbel's newspaper say?
7. Who was Mrs. Helena and when did she and Sara meet?
8. What threat did Sara say the Russians used against the Germans in Chapter 31?
9. What did an SS man tell Sara and others and what did Sara do in Chapter 36?
10. What tradition did Sara write in according to the editor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sara concluded that Cyla, who was appointed as leader of the death block by Rapportfuhrer SS Taube, was brainwashed and after a short time was capable of murder, participating in selections, and following orders regarding the gas chambers. Students should examine the role of Cyla and conclude why she gave in to such behavior, using the text to support their conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
When the SS decided to evacuate them on April 30th, Sara took her chances and stayed behind with others, hiding in the haystacks. They rejoiced to see the Germans flee, much like they did as prisoners in the camp. Students should discuss why they may have chosen to stay behind and determine the reason for staying behind instead of fleeing. Students should use the text to support their discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Mengele singled out a family of midgets, including the children and spouses who had been circus actors in Budapest. Students should examine why Mengele singled them out and also discuss the standards of those who fit into being created "in God's image." Students should use the text and secondary sources to support their discussion.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)