|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the red triangle on Erika Schneider's arm mean?
2. How old was Odette when she was brought to the camp in Chapter 16?
3. What was the name of the nurse that treated Sara in Chapter 8?
4. What did Dr. Koenig do to Natasha?
5. What were the women not allowed to have after arriving at Auschwitz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Erika dislike Orli Reichert according to Sara in Chapter 11?
2. Who was Orli Reichert according to Sara in Chapter 9?
3. Who seemed angelic to Sara in Chapter 7?
4. How did Sara differentiate between group of Jews present in Auschwitz?
5. Why were the Germans delighted according to Sara during her trip to Auschwitz?
6. What did Mengele tell Sara to do with Natasha and why?
7. Why did Esther seek Sara out and what happened to Esther in Chapter 17?
8. What did Sara think was naive after living in isolation for two months?
9. What did Lisette's husband do in Chapter 15?
10. Who did Sara say Orli Reichert saved in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fela, who was alone in the camp did not talk much with others, spoke of the sick and persecuted with contempt. Fela decided to do some organizing, which involved stealing bread from the ill and told Sara she had earned it. Students should discuss whether Fela's actions were necessary and whether she had "earned" it, as well as conclude whether Sara was right not to evaluate Fela's behavior given the conditions of Auschwitz. Students should use the text to support their discussion.
Essay Topic 2
According to the editor of "Auschwitz: True Tales from a Grotesque Land", Sara wrote the book in the tradition of a Yiddish folktale, as her stories were told, but also stimulated the reader to think about complex issues. Students should read a Yiddish folktale and compare it with Sara's writing and discuss the similarities and differences between the two in terms of style, form, and other aspects of writing. Students should determine whether her writing fits into the tradition of a Yiddish folktale and support their conclusion with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Sara concluded that Cyla, who was appointed as leader of the death block by Rapportfuhrer SS Taube, was brainwashed and after a short time was capable of murder, participating in selections, and following orders regarding the gas chambers. Students should examine the role of Cyla and conclude why she gave in to such behavior, using the text to support their conclusions.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)