|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Taube known for at Auschwitz?
2. What did Natasha pretend to be in Chapter 24?
3. Who does Sara say escaped during the trip?
4. Where did Sonia come from according to Sara?
5. How long was the trip that brought Sara to Stutthof?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Orli Reichert impress Sara?
2. What happened to the bodies of those who committed suicide according to Sarah?
3. How did Cyla change after her time with Taube?
4. What did Sara think was naive after living in isolation for two months?
5. What scared Sara about roll call in Chapter 13?
6. How did Sara differentiate between group of Jews present in Auschwitz?
7. Who seemed angelic to Sara in Chapter 7?
8. Who was Orli Reichert according to Sara in Chapter 9?
9. What was the worst time of Auschwitz according to Sara in Chapter 19?
10. What did Sara say Mengele decided to create in Chapter 24?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The editor examines the disturbing memories felt by those who survived the Holocaust, such as Elie Weisel. Many Holocaust witnesses had difficulty telling the story as it happened without distortion. Students should discuss the psychological trauma of such an event and examine survivor's guilt. Students should also discuss why Sara, unlike others, may have decided to draw on her memories to make the story of Auschwitz more believable. Students should use the text and secondary sources to support their discussion.
Essay Topic 2
According to the editor of "Auschwitz: True Tales from a Grotesque Land", Sara wrote the book in the tradition of a Yiddish folktale, as her stories were told, but also stimulated the reader to think about complex issues. Students should read a Yiddish folktale and compare it with Sara's writing and discuss the similarities and differences between the two in terms of style, form, and other aspects of writing. Students should determine whether her writing fits into the tradition of a Yiddish folktale and support their conclusion with evidence from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Irena, an actress from Poland, encouraged the women to try to get some joy out of life and organized dances for the women in Auschwitz. Discuss the ways women spent their time if they were not working under forced labor and compare this to the way in which men spent their time. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)