|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Forster say is one of the lowest of human faculties?
2. Who is the author of Roman Pictures?
3. Plot represents the _______ in literary work.
4. What is the setting of Ulysses?
5. Forster says an easy way to define any aspect of fiction is to consider what kind of ___________ it makes on the reader.
Essay Topic 1
Perhaps the most elusive of Forster's aspects is rhythm. How does Forster define this aspect? Is there a better way to explain it? If it is so hard to attain, why does Forster include it as one of the seven aspects? Does a good novel need to uphold all seven aspects?
Essay Topic 2
Does being a novelist himself make Forster more qualified to present this lecture series or cloud his objectivity? What are specific examples of both?
Essay Topic 3
What does Forster contend is the important difference between real people and people in novels? Why is this an important distinction? Using research on Forster himself, what is the irony of his discussion of the importance of real people keeping their secrets?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)