|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Forster considers Roman Pictures to be a __________.
2. The novel Thais is in the pattern of what?
3. Who is the author of Zuleika Dobson?
4. Who is the author of Roman Pictures?
5. Forster says that Meredith was the greatest _____ that English fiction ever produced.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Forster mean when he says that the works of Melville, Dostoevsky, and D.H. Lawrence have an "intermittent realism"?
2. Why does Forster say that some authors are suited to writing parody or adaptations?
3. What does Forster mean when he describes a novel with a grand chain pattern?
4. What is Forster's opinion of readers who do not like fantasy?
5. What is the difference between an inquisitive novel reader and an intelligent one, according to Forster?
6. How does Forster distinguish between fantasy and prophecy as aspects of the novel?
7. Who does Forster classify as the prophet and the non-prophet in literature?
8. What does Forster describe as being a typical character in a Henry James novel?
9. What role does the setting play in novels by Henry James?
10. What are the two elements that Forster says are necessary for plot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the authors that Forster expresses admiration for regarding their attempts at breaking the mold of certain aspects of the novel? Does it matter that he views their attempts as mostly unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 2
Forster concludes his lecture series by tentatively speculating on the future of the novel. How has the novel changed since 1927? How are Forster's seven aspects still relevant to modern literature?
Essay Topic 3
What is the difference between the life in time and the life by value? How does Forster illustrate this point through the work of Sir Walter Scott?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)