|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Forster say demonstrates rhythm in the easy sense in his writing?
2. Boon is a parody of whose writing style?
3. What is the name of the main character in The Brothers Karamazov?
4. What is the name of the main character in Moby Dick?
5. What is the name of the main character in Les Fax Monnayeurs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Forster say that the fantasy aspect of a novel requires from the reader?
2. How does Forster describe the Dostoevsky character, Dmitri Karamazov?
3. What are the two elements that Forster says are necessary for plot?
4. What is the difference between an inquisitive novel reader and an intelligent one, according to Forster?
5. Why does Forster disagree with Aristotle about the purpose of characters?
6. What does Forster mean when he says that the plot in the novel is its most logical intellectual aspect?
7. Why does Forster say that novelist Thomas Hardy is essentially a poet?
8. What does Forster describe as being a typical character in a Henry James novel?
9. Why does Forster refer to George Elliot as a preacher?
10. How does Forster define plot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Perhaps the most elusive of Forster's aspects is rhythm. How does Forster define this aspect? Is there a better way to explain it? If it is so hard to attain, why does Forster include it as one of the seven aspects? Does a good novel need to uphold all seven aspects?
Essay Topic 2
What is the difference between the life in time and the life by value? How does Forster illustrate this point through the work of Sir Walter Scott?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the flaws of Forster's arguments throughout the lecture series? Please use references to literature to substantiate the various points.
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)