|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Roman Pictures?
2. Who is the author of Boon?
3. What does Forster say is one of the lowest of human faculties?
4. Aristotle said characters give the reader qualities through _________.
5. Boon is a parody of whose writing style?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Forster say that the fantasy aspect of a novel requires from the reader?
2. How does Forster define plot?
3. What is Forster's opinion of readers who do not like fantasy?
4. Why does Forster disagree with Aristotle about the purpose of characters?
5. Why does Forster refer to George Elliot as a preacher?
6. What is the difference between an inquisitive novel reader and an intelligent one, according to Forster?
7. How does Forster describe the Dostoevsky character, Dmitri Karamazov?
8. What are the two elements that Forster says are necessary for plot?
9. How does Forster define prophecy in terms of fiction?
10. What role does the setting play in novels by Henry James?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the authors that Forster expresses admiration for regarding their attempts at breaking the mold of certain aspects of the novel? Does it matter that he views their attempts as mostly unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 2
Forster concludes his lecture series by tentatively speculating on the future of the novel. How has the novel changed since 1927? How are Forster's seven aspects still relevant to modern literature?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the difference between flat and round characters, as well as the works of literature Forster used to illustrate his points. In his discussion of these types of characters, does Forster make sweeping generalizations that may not apply to all types of characters?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)