|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Boon?
2. What shape is the pattern of The Ambassadors?
3. Forster says he will borrow from what in describing pattern?
4. What is the thing a novelist should never aim for, but fails if this is not achieved?
5. Forster calls Zuleika Dobson the most ___________ achievement of fantasy in his time.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the two basic elements that Forster comes back to again and again throughout the lecture series?
2. What two qualities does Forster believe the aspect of prophecy demands from a reader?
3. How does Forster describe the Dostoevsky character, Dmitri Karamazov?
4. How does a Marcel Proust novel demonstrate the aspect of rhythm?
5. What does Forster mean when he describes the novel Thais as being in the shape of an hourglass?
6. What is the relationship between pattern and plot in a novel?
7. What is the metaphor that Forster uses to describe literary criticism?
8. What does Forster say that the fantasy aspect of a novel requires from the reader?
9. What does Forster mean when he says that the works of Melville, Dostoevsky, and D.H. Lawrence have an "intermittent realism"?
10. What does Forster mean when he says that the plot in the novel is its most logical intellectual aspect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the six authors Forster quotes to illustrate the futility of studying works of literature in terms of chronology.
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship that Forster paints between prophecy and symbolism? Discuss this in terms of Melville and other novelists.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the flaws of Forster's arguments throughout the lecture series? Please use references to literature to substantiate the various points.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)