|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The plot of a novel asks what question?
2. In comparing music and literature, Forster says a novelist must try to achieve what?
3. Who does Forster say is a character type that is seen in many Henry James novels?
4. What novel does Forster refer to when discussing the supernatural aspect of fantasy?
5. Who is the main character in the George Eliot novel that Forster uses to illustrate prophecy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Forster distinguish between fantasy and prophecy as aspects of the novel?
2. What is Forster's opinion of readers who do not like fantasy?
3. What two qualities does Forster believe the aspect of prophecy demands from a reader?
4. Why does Forster refer to George Elliot as a preacher?
5. Why does Forster say that some authors are suited to writing parody or adaptations?
6. What is the relationship between pattern and plot in a novel?
7. What does Forster mean when he says that the plot in the novel is its most logical intellectual aspect?
8. How does Forster define prophecy in terms of fiction?
9. How does Forster describe the Dostoevsky character, Dmitri Karamazov?
10. What does Forster mean when he describes the novel Thais as being in the shape of an hourglass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Forster tie in his main theme that the purpose of novels is to allow the reader a deeper, broader understanding of life with his discussion of the People aspect of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Using references from literature, describe how all seven aspects present in a novel can lead to a transcendent experience for the reader. Which aspect offers the best vehicle to transcendence? Do you agree with Forster that transcendence is the mark of a truly exceptional novel?
Essay Topic 3
Who are the authors that Forster expresses admiration for regarding their attempts at breaking the mold of certain aspects of the novel? Does it matter that he views their attempts as mostly unsuccessful?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)