|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Plot represents the _______ in literary work.
2. Aristotle said characters give the reader qualities through _________.
3. A plot requires a reader's intelligence and __________.
4. Forster wonders if there is any rhythm in novels comparable to ____________.
5. What is the one short story that Forster discusses in his lectures?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Forster reluctant to admit that the primary component of a novel is its story?
Essay Topic 2
As Forster discusses Wuthering Heights, his lecture reaches a higher point of emotion. How does his tone parallel that of the Emily Bronte novel? Does his lecture on prophecy border on obsession?
Essay Topic 3
Using references from literature, describe how all seven aspects present in a novel can lead to a transcendent experience for the reader. Which aspect offers the best vehicle to transcendence? Do you agree with Forster that transcendence is the mark of a truly exceptional novel?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)