|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Boon?
2. What is the name of the main character in The Ambassadors?
3. Forster says there are elements of music in War and Peace, which he refers to as a "___________ book."
4. What does Forster say is the enduring effect of The Ambassadors?
5. What is the name of the main character in Ulysses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Forster say that novelist Thomas Hardy is essentially a poet?
2. What are the two elements that Forster says are necessary for plot?
3. How does Forster define prophecy in terms of fiction?
4. What does Forster describe as being a typical character in a Henry James novel?
5. What is Forster's opinion of readers who do not like fantasy?
6. Why does Forster disagree with Aristotle about the purpose of characters?
7. What does Forster mean when he describes the novel Thais as being in the shape of an hourglass?
8. What does Forster mean when he says that the plot in the novel is its most logical intellectual aspect?
9. What does Forster mean when he says that the works of Melville, Dostoevsky, and D.H. Lawrence have an "intermittent realism"?
10. What are the two basic elements that Forster comes back to again and again throughout the lecture series?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Forster think about the motto "History develops, Art stands still"? How does he come back to that in the conclusion of his lecture series?
Essay Topic 2
What is the distinction Forster makes between prophecy and preaching? Why is this an important distinction to the overall quality of a novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether or not Forster showed significant difference between the story and the plot as aspects of the novel. Use examples both from Forster and modern novels.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)