|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of The Ambassadors?
2. Boon is a parody of whose writing style?
3. The novel Thais is in the pattern of what?
4. Who does Forster say demonstrates rhythm in the easy sense in his writing?
5. Aristotle said characters give the reader qualities through _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Forster define prophecy in terms of fiction?
2. What is Forster's opinion of readers who do not like fantasy?
3. How does a Marcel Proust novel demonstrate the aspect of rhythm?
4. What does Forster say that the fantasy aspect of a novel requires from the reader?
5. How does Forster distinguish between fantasy and prophecy as aspects of the novel?
6. Why does Forster refer to George Elliot as a preacher?
7. What is the relationship between pattern and plot in a novel?
8. What is the metaphor that Forster uses to describe literary criticism?
9. Why does Forster disagree with Aristotle about the purpose of characters?
10. Why does Forster say that some authors are suited to writing parody or adaptations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Forster concludes his lecture series by tentatively speculating on the future of the novel. How has the novel changed since 1927? How are Forster's seven aspects still relevant to modern literature?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the six authors Forster quotes to illustrate the futility of studying works of literature in terms of chronology.
Essay Topic 3
As Forster discusses Wuthering Heights, his lecture reaches a higher point of emotion. How does his tone parallel that of the Emily Bronte novel? Does his lecture on prophecy border on obsession?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)