|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of Roman Pictures?
2. Forster believes that happiness and misery exist in the ___________.
3. What novel does Forster refer to when discussing the supernatural aspect of fantasy?
4. Forster considers Roman Pictures to be a __________.
5. What is the setting of Zuleika Dobson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between an inquisitive novel reader and an intelligent one, according to Forster?
2. How does Forster describe the Dostoevsky character, Dmitri Karamazov?
3. What is the relationship between pattern and plot in a novel?
4. Why does Forster say that some authors are suited to writing parody or adaptations?
5. What does Forster mean when he says that the plot in the novel is its most logical intellectual aspect?
6. Why does Forster disagree with Aristotle about the purpose of characters?
7. Why does Forster say that novelist Thomas Hardy is essentially a poet?
8. What is Forster's opinion of readers who do not like fantasy?
9. What are the two basic elements that Forster comes back to again and again throughout the lecture series?
10. Who does Forster classify as the prophet and the non-prophet in literature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the six authors Forster quotes to illustrate the futility of studying works of literature in terms of chronology.
Essay Topic 2
What is the relationship that Forster paints between prophecy and symbolism? Discuss this in terms of Melville and other novelists.
Essay Topic 3
Who are the authors that Forster expresses admiration for regarding their attempts at breaking the mold of certain aspects of the novel? Does it matter that he views their attempts as mostly unsuccessful?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)