|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Magic Flute is a parody of the work of whom?
2. What does Forster say is absolutely essential to a plot?
3. When comparing plot and drama, Forster visualizes plot as what?
4. What does prophecy require from the reader in addition to a suspension of a sense of humor?
5. What shape is the pattern of The Ambassadors?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether or not Forster showed significant difference between the story and the plot as aspects of the novel. Use examples both from Forster and modern novels.
Essay Topic 2
Forster concludes his lecture series by tentatively speculating on the future of the novel. How has the novel changed since 1927? How are Forster's seven aspects still relevant to modern literature?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the flaws of Forster's arguments throughout the lecture series? Please use references to literature to substantiate the various points.
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)