|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of The Ambassadors?
2. The Magic Flute is a parody of the work of whom?
3. What is the one short story that Forster discusses in his lectures?
4. Who is the author of Les Faux Monnayeurs?
5. Forster says ___________ never comes off in novels.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference between flat and round characters, as well as the works of literature Forster used to illustrate his points. In his discussion of these types of characters, does Forster make sweeping generalizations that may not apply to all types of characters?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the authors that Forster expresses admiration for regarding their attempts at breaking the mold of certain aspects of the novel? Does it matter that he views their attempts as mostly unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 3
What does Forster think about the motto "History develops, Art stands still"? How does he come back to that in the conclusion of his lecture series?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)