Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of The Ambassadors?
2. The Magic Flute is a parody of the work of whom?
3. What is the one short story that Forster discusses in his lectures?
4. Who is the author of Les Faux Monnayeurs?
5. Forster says ___________ never comes off in novels.
Essay Topic 1
Using references from literature, describe how all seven aspects present in a novel can lead to a transcendent experience for the reader. Which aspect offers the best vehicle to transcendence? Do you agree with Forster that transcendence is the mark of a truly exceptional novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss whether or not Forster showed significant difference between the story and the plot as aspects of the novel. Use examples both from Forster and modern novels.
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship that Forster paints between prophecy and symbolism? Discuss this in terms of Melville and other novelists.
This section contains 175 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)