|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When comparing plot and drama, Forster visualizes plot as what?
2. Forster says there are elements of music in War and Peace, which he refers to as a "___________ book."
3. What is the setting of The Ambassadors?
4. Forster refers to prophecy as being a(n) _______ in the novelist's voice.
5. Which author does Forster refer to when talking about the chaos that prophecy can bring to a novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does being a novelist himself make Forster more qualified to present this lecture series or cloud his objectivity? What are specific examples of both?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the six authors Forster quotes to illustrate the futility of studying works of literature in terms of chronology.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the flaws of Forster's arguments throughout the lecture series? Please use references to literature to substantiate the various points.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)