|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The critic Norman Douglas writes an open letter to which author?
2. Who is the first hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
3. Forster says novelists find death to be ____________.
4. In the introductory section, Forster quotes from whom to describe the duties of the critic?
5. As Forster begins the second section on People, he says that he turns from transplantation of characters to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Forster describe the point of view in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens?
2. What does Forster consider to be the strangest of the five basic elements of life?
3. What does Forster demonstrate with the first sentence of The Antiquary by Sir Walter Scott?
4. What are the guidelines William George Clark requests for the lecture series he began at Trinity College?
5. What is striking about the funerals described in the excerpts by H.G. Wells and Charles Dickens?
6. What does Forster mean when he says that novels give us the "illusion of perspicacity"?
7. What does Forster believe to be the flaws in Sir Walter Scott's writing?
8. How does Forster say that Scheherazade avoids her fate?
9. What is one of the reasons that love is "unduly prominent" in novels, according to Forster?
10. As defined by Forster, when is a character in a novel real?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the six authors Forster quotes to illustrate the futility of studying works of literature in terms of chronology.
Essay Topic 2
Who are the authors that Forster expresses admiration for regarding their attempts at breaking the mold of certain aspects of the novel? Does it matter that he views their attempts as mostly unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 3
How is Forster's exploration of the aspects of fantasy and prophecy at the core of his overall philosophy on the novel? What is the fine line between these two aspects?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)