|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Forster use as an example when he discusses the difference between real people and fictional people?
2. Flat characters are seldom used in what type of novels?
3. Forster starts his discussion of round characters with the novel ____________.
4. Considering literature on the basis of time periods is the act of the ________________.
5. In Forster's opinion, what is the key failing of English fiction?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Forster say that Scheherazade avoids her fate?
2. What is one of the reasons that love is "unduly prominent" in novels, according to Forster?
3. What does Forster believe to be the flaws in Sir Walter Scott's writing?
4. Why are flat characters sometimes referred to as humorous characters?
5. How does Forster define the novel in its most basic terms?
6. What is Forster's definition of a pseudo-scholar?
7. What is striking about the funerals described in the excerpts by H.G. Wells and Charles Dickens?
8. According to Forster, what is the purpose of food in fiction?
9. What does Forster consider to be the strangest of the five basic elements of life?
10. What is the difference between an Austen character and a Dickens character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who are the authors that Forster expresses admiration for regarding their attempts at breaking the mold of certain aspects of the novel? Does it matter that he views their attempts as mostly unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 2
What does Forster contend is the important difference between real people and people in novels? Why is this an important distinction? Using research on Forster himself, what is the irony of his discussion of the importance of real people keeping their secrets?
Essay Topic 3
How does Forster tie in his main theme that the purpose of novels is to allow the reader a deeper, broader understanding of life with his discussion of the People aspect of the novel?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)