|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Forster say is the real hero of The Old Wives' Tale?
2. Forster gives his series of lectures on the Aspects of the Novel at Trinity College at _______________.
3. The test of a round character is whether it is capable of _________ the reader.
4. What does Forster believe a good novel is "sogged with"?
5. What is the highest common factor to all novels?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Forster describe the point of view in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens?
2. What does Forster mean by a "sense of space" in War and Peace?
3. What two things does Forster say daily life is comprised of?
4. William George Clark was known as a Shakespearean scholar, but he also published two books on other subjects. What other books does Clark publish?
5. What are the guidelines William George Clark requests for the lecture series he began at Trinity College?
6. What is Forster's definition of a pseudo-scholar?
7. How does Forster say that Scheherazade avoids her fate?
8. According to Forster, what is the purpose of food in fiction?
9. Why are flat characters sometimes referred to as humorous characters?
10. What image does Forster ask his audience to think of so as not to consider literature in the "stream of time"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss whether or not Forster showed significant difference between the story and the plot as aspects of the novel. Use examples both from Forster and modern novels.
Essay Topic 2
Forster concludes his lecture series by tentatively speculating on the future of the novel. How has the novel changed since 1927? How are Forster's seven aspects still relevant to modern literature?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Forster reluctant to admit that the primary component of a novel is its story?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)