|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Forster contends that while The Antiquary has suspense, it lacks what?
2. Who does Forster say is the real hero of The Old Wives' Tale?
3. Works that deal with real people are called what?
4. Forster gives his series of lectures on the Aspects of the Novel at Trinity College at _______________.
5. Who is the second hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Forster say that Scheherazade avoids her fate?
2. What does Forster mean by a "sense of space" in War and Peace?
3. How does Forster define the novel in its most basic terms?
4. What does Forster say is the difference between a novel and a memoir?
5. What is striking about the funerals described in the excerpts by H.G. Wells and Charles Dickens?
6. What are the two sides of a human being as described by the French critic Alain?
7. What commonality does Forster see between the writings of Henry James and Samuel Richardson?
8. As defined by Forster, when is a character in a novel real?
9. What image does Forster ask his audience to think of so as not to consider literature in the "stream of time"?
10. What is Forster's definition of a pseudo-scholar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Forster discusses Wuthering Heights, his lecture reaches a higher point of emotion. How does his tone parallel that of the Emily Bronte novel? Does his lecture on prophecy border on obsession?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the authors that Forster expresses admiration for regarding their attempts at breaking the mold of certain aspects of the novel? Does it matter that he views their attempts as mostly unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Forster reluctant to admit that the primary component of a novel is its story?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)