|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Forster call characters like Miss Grizzle in The Antiquary?
2. What is the occupation of the husband Moll loves deeply in the novel?
3. To be a true critic of literature, one must do what?
4. Which character from the novel Evan Harrington is a good example of a memorable flat character?
5. Who does Forster say is the real hero of The Old Wives' Tale?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Forster believe an Austen novel is more complicated than a Defoe novel?
2. What is Forster's definition of a pseudo-scholar?
3. What is the difference between an Austen character and a Dickens character?
4. What commonality does Forster see between the writings of Henry James and Samuel Richardson?
5. What two things does Forster say daily life is comprised of?
6. Why, in Forster's opinion, is Sir Walter Scott a popular novelist?
7. As defined by Forster, when is a character in a novel real?
8. Why are flat characters sometimes referred to as humorous characters?
9. Why does Forster illustrate through the novel Moll Flanders?
10. What image does Forster ask his audience to think of so as not to consider literature in the "stream of time"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the distinction Forster makes between prophecy and preaching? Why is this an important distinction to the overall quality of a novel?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the authors that Forster expresses admiration for regarding their attempts at breaking the mold of certain aspects of the novel? Does it matter that he views their attempts as mostly unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss whether or not Forster showed significant difference between the story and the plot as aspects of the novel. Use examples both from Forster and modern novels.
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)