|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Forster refers to characters as ________ created by the novelist.
2. In Forster's opinion, what is the key failing of English fiction?
3. What does Scott accomplish in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
4. Who is the first hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
5. What is the name of the book written by critic Percy Lubbock?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Forster look at in terms of characters in the second section on People?
2. As defined by Forster, when is a character in a novel real?
3. What does Forster mean by a "sense of space" in War and Peace?
4. What is Forster trying to illustrate through the work of Gertrude Stein?
5. Why, in Forster's opinion, is Sir Walter Scott a popular novelist?
6. What does Forster demonstrate with the first sentence of The Antiquary by Sir Walter Scott?
7. What are the guidelines William George Clark requests for the lecture series he began at Trinity College?
8. What does Forster consider to be the strangest of the five basic elements of life?
9. According to Forster, what is the purpose of food in fiction?
10. How does Forster describe the point of view in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Forster's exploration of the aspects of fantasy and prophecy at the core of his overall philosophy on the novel? What is the fine line between these two aspects?
Essay Topic 2
What is the distinction Forster makes between prophecy and preaching? Why is this an important distinction to the overall quality of a novel?
Essay Topic 3
Using references from literature, describe how all seven aspects present in a novel can lead to a transcendent experience for the reader. Which aspect offers the best vehicle to transcendence? Do you agree with Forster that transcendence is the mark of a truly exceptional novel?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)