|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Forster believes the truest way to look at a novel is by examining the author's what?
2. How many years separate the writing of Henry James and Samuel Richardson?
3. Forster gives his series of lectures on the Aspects of the Novel at Trinity College at _______________.
4. Which characters in The Antiquary does Forster say Scott introduced artlessly?
5. What is the silliest way Forster believes there is to classify novels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tone that Forster notes both in the writing of Laurence Sterne and Virginia Woolf?
2. Why does Forster believe an Austen novel is more complicated than a Defoe novel?
3. Why, in Forster's opinion, is Sir Walter Scott a popular novelist?
4. What does Forster believe is part of the genius of Dickens' characters?
5. What is Forster trying to illustrate through the work of Gertrude Stein?
6. According to Forster, what does a good novel do?
7. What is Forster's definition of a pseudo-scholar?
8. What is striking about the funerals described in the excerpts by H.G. Wells and Charles Dickens?
9. What does Forster mean by a "sense of space" in War and Peace?
10. What are the guidelines William George Clark requests for the lecture series he began at Trinity College?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the difference between flat and round characters, as well as the works of literature Forster used to illustrate his points. In his discussion of these types of characters, does Forster make sweeping generalizations that may not apply to all types of characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does the development of the novel represent development in mankind? Do you agree with Forster's contention on this point? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Forster's point about how varied points of view reflect life parallel his points about characters made in the first People section?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)