|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character from the novel Evan Harrington is a good example of a memorable flat character?
2. Considering literature on the basis of time periods is the act of the ________________.
3. The test of a round character is whether it is capable of _________ the reader.
4. What does Forster believe a good novel is "sogged with"?
5. Forster's third set of excerpts in the Introduction are from Virgina Woolf and _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Forster, what does a good novel do?
2. What is one of the reasons that love is "unduly prominent" in novels, according to Forster?
3. What are the two sides of a human being as described by the French critic Alain?
4. What is the tone that Forster notes both in the writing of Laurence Sterne and Virginia Woolf?
5. According to Forster, what is the purpose of food in fiction?
6. What are the guidelines William George Clark requests for the lecture series he began at Trinity College?
7. As defined by Forster, when is a character in a novel real?
8. How does Forster describe the point of view in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens?
9. What is striking about the funerals described in the excerpts by H.G. Wells and Charles Dickens?
10. Why are flat characters sometimes referred to as humorous characters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Forster's exploration of the aspects of fantasy and prophecy at the core of his overall philosophy on the novel? What is the fine line between these two aspects?
Essay Topic 2
Who are the authors that Forster expresses admiration for regarding their attempts at breaking the mold of certain aspects of the novel? Does it matter that he views their attempts as mostly unsuccessful?
Essay Topic 3
How does Forster's point about how varied points of view reflect life parallel his points about characters made in the first People section?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)