|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Forster call characters like Miss Grizzle in The Antiquary?
2. Forster says that neither ________ nor anticipation is interested in Father Time.
3. Forster says he is not analyzing The Antiquary, but rather _____________ it.
4. Who is the first hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
5. A novel that does not include an aspect of time is _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, in Forster's opinion, is Sir Walter Scott a popular novelist?
2. What is striking about the funerals described in the excerpts by H.G. Wells and Charles Dickens?
3. As defined by Forster, when is a character in a novel real?
4. Why does Forster illustrate through the novel Moll Flanders?
5. William George Clark was known as a Shakespearean scholar, but he also published two books on other subjects. What other books does Clark publish?
6. What is one of the reasons that love is "unduly prominent" in novels, according to Forster?
7. What is Forster trying to illustrate through the work of Gertrude Stein?
8. What are the guidelines William George Clark requests for the lecture series he began at Trinity College?
9. What is Forster's definition of a pseudo-scholar?
10. What does Forster believe to be the flaws in Sir Walter Scott's writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Forster discusses Wuthering Heights, his lecture reaches a higher point of emotion. How does his tone parallel that of the Emily Bronte novel? Does his lecture on prophecy border on obsession?
Essay Topic 2
What does Forster think about the motto "History develops, Art stands still"? How does he come back to that in the conclusion of his lecture series?
Essay Topic 3
How does Forster tie in his main theme that the purpose of novels is to allow the reader a deeper, broader understanding of life with his discussion of the People aspect of the novel?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)