|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of Boon?
(a) D.H. Lawrence.
(b) Henry James.
(c) H.G. Wells.
(d) James Joyce.
2. What is the setting for Flecker's Magic?
3. What does prophecy require from the reader in addition to a suspension of a sense of humor?
4. Aristotle said characters give the reader qualities through _________.
5. Plot represents the _______ in literary work.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Forster, Moby Dick should be seen as a what?
2. Boon is a parody of whose writing style?
3. Which author does Forster refer to as a preacher, not a prophet?
4. Who is the author of Les Faux Monnayeurs?
5. What does Forster call the small gods that he says haunt us today?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the metaphor that Forster uses to describe literary criticism?
2. What is the difference between an inquisitive novel reader and an intelligent one, according to Forster?
3. Why does Forster refer to George Elliot as a preacher?
4. How does Forster describe the Dostoevsky character, Dmitri Karamazov?
5. What are the two basic elements that Forster comes back to again and again throughout the lecture series?
6. What role does the setting play in novels by Henry James?
7. Who does Forster classify as the prophet and the non-prophet in literature?
8. What is Forster's opinion of readers who do not like fantasy?
9. What does Forster mean when he says that the plot in the novel is its most logical intellectual aspect?
10. What does Forster describe as being a typical character in a Henry James novel?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)