|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which George Eliot novel does Forster refer to in his discussion of prophecy?
(a) Silas Marner.
(b) Adam Bede.
(d) The Mill on the Floss.
2. Forster quotes George Meredith as saying we must live by the ___________ or the block.
3. What is the setting of Zuleika Dobson?
4. When comparing plot and drama, Forster visualizes plot as what?
(a) Higher government official.
(b) Queen of England.
(c) Grand Dame.
(d) Lowly paid worker.
5. According to Forster, Moby Dick should be seen as a what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the thing a novelist should never aim for, but fails if this is not achieved?
2. What is the name of the main character in The Brothers Karamazov?
3. Forster says if rhythm is done badly it hardens into a what?
4. Forster says it is wrong to see the __________ in Moby Dick as a symbol.
5. Who is the author of Ulysses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role does the setting play in novels by Henry James?
2. What does Forster mean when he describes the novel Thais as being in the shape of an hourglass?
3. Why does Forster say that novelist Thomas Hardy is essentially a poet?
4. What does Forster describe as being a typical character in a Henry James novel?
5. How does Forster distinguish between fantasy and prophecy as aspects of the novel?
6. Who does Forster classify as the prophet and the non-prophet in literature?
7. What does Forster say that the fantasy aspect of a novel requires from the reader?
8. What are the two elements that Forster says are necessary for plot?
9. How does a Marcel Proust novel demonstrate the aspect of rhythm?
10. What are the two basic elements that Forster comes back to again and again throughout the lecture series?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)