|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In comparing music and literature, Forster says a novelist must try to achieve what?
2. Who is the author of Boon?
(a) D.H. Lawrence.
(b) H.G. Wells.
(c) Henry James.
(d) James Joyce.
3. Who is the author of Ulysses?
(a) Henry James.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) E.M. Forster.
4. Which George Eliot novel does Forster refer to in his discussion of prophecy?
(a) Silas Marner.
(b) Adam Bede.
(d) The Mill on the Floss.
5. What does Forster say is absolutely essential to a plot?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Forster say is a character type that is seen in many Henry James novels?
2. Who does Forster say demonstrates rhythm in the easy sense in his writing?
3. Aristotle said characters give the reader qualities through _________.
4. What does Forster say is the enduring effect of The Ambassadors?
5. What is the setting of Ulysses?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Forster distinguish between fantasy and prophecy as aspects of the novel?
2. How does Forster describe the Dostoevsky character, Dmitri Karamazov?
3. What does Forster mean when he describes a novel with a grand chain pattern?
4. Who does Forster classify as the prophet and the non-prophet in literature?
5. What does Forster describe as being a typical character in a Henry James novel?
6. How does Forster define plot?
7. Why does Forster say that novelist Thomas Hardy is essentially a poet?
8. What is the relationship between pattern and plot in a novel?
9. Why does Forster say that some authors are suited to writing parody or adaptations?
10. What two qualities does Forster believe the aspect of prophecy demands from a reader?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)