|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Flecker's Magic by Norman Matson is about a _________.
2. Who is the author of Roman Pictures?
(a) E.M. Forster.
(b) George Meredith.
(c) Percy Lubbock.
(d) D.H. Lawrence.
3. Flecker's Magic combines the kingdoms of magic and _________.
(a) Common sense.
(d) Transcendent reflection.
4. Which one of the following is NOT an author that Forster considers to use prophecy well?
5. What novel does Forster refer to when discussing the supernatural aspect of fantasy?
(a) Shane McDadey.
(b) Tristram Shandy.
(c) Wisdom's Window.
(d) All The Gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting of The Ambassadors?
2. Forster calls Zuleika Dobson the most ___________ achievement of fantasy in his time.
3. What is the novel Ulysses adapted from?
4. Forster considers Roman Pictures to be a __________.
5. What is the setting of Thais?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Forster describe as being a typical character in a Henry James novel?
2. How does Forster distinguish between fantasy and prophecy as aspects of the novel?
3. What does Forster mean when he says that the works of Melville, Dostoevsky, and D.H. Lawrence have an "intermittent realism"?
4. How does Forster define prophecy in terms of fiction?
5. What does Forster mean when he describes the novel Thais as being in the shape of an hourglass?
6. Why does Forster say that novelist Thomas Hardy is essentially a poet?
7. What is the relationship between pattern and plot in a novel?
8. How does Forster define plot?
9. What role does the setting play in novels by Henry James?
10. What are the two elements that Forster says are necessary for plot?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)