|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Boon is a parody of whose writing style?
(a) D.H. Lawrence.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) H.G. Wells.
(d) Henry James.
2. Forster distinguishes novels with fantasy and novels with prophecy by their what?
3. According to Forster, Moby Dick should be seen as a what?
4. A plot requires a reader's intelligence and __________.
5. Forster contends that Henry James has two kinds of main characters, the observer and the ________.
(a) First-rate manipulator.
(b) Wise widow.
(c) Tragic lover.
(d) Second-rate outsider.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the last ship in Moby Dick that Forster thinks is aptly named?
2. Forster says he will borrow from what in describing pattern?
3. Who is the main character in the George Eliot novel that Forster uses to illustrate prophecy?
4. Forster says that Meredith was the greatest _____ that English fiction ever produced.
5. What is the setting of Zuleika Dobson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Forster mean when he describes a novel with a grand chain pattern?
2. What two qualities does Forster believe the aspect of prophecy demands from a reader?
3. What does Forster describe as being a typical character in a Henry James novel?
4. What is Forster's opinion of readers who do not like fantasy?
5. What are the two basic elements that Forster comes back to again and again throughout the lecture series?
6. Why does Forster disagree with Aristotle about the purpose of characters?
7. Why does Forster say that novelist Thomas Hardy is essentially a poet?
8. How does Forster distinguish between fantasy and prophecy as aspects of the novel?
9. What does Forster mean when he describes the novel Thais as being in the shape of an hourglass?
10. How does a Marcel Proust novel demonstrate the aspect of rhythm?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)