|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Forster say is the enduring effect of The Ambassadors?
2. Forster says there are elements of music in War and Peace, which he refers to as a "___________ book."
3. To explore fantasy, who does Forster call upon?
4. Forster says he will borrow from what in describing pattern?
5. Forster says it is wrong to see the __________ in Moby Dick as a symbol.
Short Answer Questions
1. Flecker's Magic combines the kingdoms of magic and _________.
2. What is the name of the main character in The Brothers Karamazov?
3. Which Meredith novel does Forster discuss at length?
4. What does Forster say is one of the lowest of human faculties?
5. What does Forster say is absolutely essential to a plot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Forster mean when he says that the works of Melville, Dostoevsky, and D.H. Lawrence have an "intermittent realism"?
2. Who does Forster classify as the prophet and the non-prophet in literature?
3. What does Forster say that the fantasy aspect of a novel requires from the reader?
4. Why does Forster say that novelist Thomas Hardy is essentially a poet?
5. What does Forster describe as being a typical character in a Henry James novel?
6. What is the difference between an inquisitive novel reader and an intelligent one, according to Forster?
7. What does Forster mean when he describes the novel Thais as being in the shape of an hourglass?
8. What is the metaphor that Forster uses to describe literary criticism?
9. What is Forster's opinion of readers who do not like fantasy?
10. How does Forster distinguish between fantasy and prophecy as aspects of the novel?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)