|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Forster distinguishes novels with fantasy and novels with prophecy by their what?
2. Which author does Forster say his own priggishness prevents him from enjoying?
(a) George Meredith.
(b) Conan Doyle.
(c) Jane Austen.
(d) Oscar Wilde.
3. Who is the author of The Brothers Karamazov?
4. Aristotle said characters give the reader qualities through _________.
5. The novel Thais is in the pattern of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Forster refers to prophecy as being a(n) _______ in the novelist's voice.
2. What is the name of the main character in Moby Dick?
3. Flecker's Magic combines the kingdoms of magic and _________.
4. What is the name of the main character in The Ambassadors?
5. Forster says he will borrow from what in describing pattern?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Forster classify as the prophet and the non-prophet in literature?
2. What does Forster describe as being a typical character in a Henry James novel?
3. What is the difference between an inquisitive novel reader and an intelligent one, according to Forster?
4. Why does Forster say that novelist Thomas Hardy is essentially a poet?
5. What is Forster's opinion of readers who do not like fantasy?
6. How does a Marcel Proust novel demonstrate the aspect of rhythm?
7. What are the two basic elements that Forster comes back to again and again throughout the lecture series?
8. What is the relationship between pattern and plot in a novel?
9. What does Forster mean when he says that the works of Melville, Dostoevsky, and D.H. Lawrence have an "intermittent realism"?
10. What does Forster mean when he says that the plot in the novel is its most logical intellectual aspect?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)