|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Forster say is a character type that is seen in many Henry James novels?
2. Which author does Forster refer to when talking about the chaos that prophecy can bring to a novel?
(a) Emily Bronte.
(b) Lawrence Sterne.
(c) D.H. Lawrence.
(d) George Meredith.
3. Who is the author of Les Faux Monnayeurs?
(a) Thomas Hardy.
(b) Anthony Trollope.
(c) Andre Gide.
(d) Charles Dickens.
4. Flecker's Magic by Norman Matson is about a _________.
5. Which author does Forster refer to as a preacher, not a prophet?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) George Eliot.
(c) Henry James.
(d) Fyodor Dostoevsky.
Short Answer Questions
1. A plot requires a reader's intelligence and __________.
2. Who is the author of The Brothers Karamazov?
3. Which Meredith novel does Forster use to demonstrate a character with a concealed emotion?
4. Forster quotes George Meredith as saying we must live by the ___________ or the block.
5. The Magic Flute is a parody of the work of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Forster say that novelist Thomas Hardy is essentially a poet?
2. How does Forster describe the Dostoevsky character, Dmitri Karamazov?
3. What does Forster mean when he says that the works of Melville, Dostoevsky, and D.H. Lawrence have an "intermittent realism"?
4. What two qualities does Forster believe the aspect of prophecy demands from a reader?
5. What is the metaphor that Forster uses to describe literary criticism?
6. What does Forster say that the fantasy aspect of a novel requires from the reader?
7. Who does Forster classify as the prophet and the non-prophet in literature?
8. How does Forster define plot?
9. What is the difference between an inquisitive novel reader and an intelligent one, according to Forster?
10. What is Forster's opinion of readers who do not like fantasy?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)