|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occupation of the husband Moll loves deeply in the novel?
2. All writers, regardless of time period or subject matter, write because of what?
3. Flat characters are seldom used in what type of novels?
4. Who tries to abolish time in a novel according to Forster?
(a) Leo Tolstoy.
(b) Gertrude Stein.
(c) Sir Walter Scott.
(d) Marcel Proust.
5. In the People section, Forster says that novelists are appealing to more than our _________ when it comes to the characters of a novel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Forster's third set of excerpts in the Introduction are from Virgina Woolf and _______________.
2. Forster says that permanency is one of the illusions attached to what?
3. In which novel does Forster say that the author bounces the reader around characters?
4. In the introductory section, Forster quotes from whom to describe the duties of the critic?
5. Forster says novelists find death to be ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Forster's definition of a pseudo-scholar?
2. What is one of the reasons that love is "unduly prominent" in novels, according to Forster?
3. What does Forster look at in terms of characters in the second section on People?
4. As defined by Forster, when is a character in a novel real?
5. Why does Forster illustrate through the novel Moll Flanders?
6. What are the two sides of a human being as described by the French critic Alain?
7. What does Forster believe is part of the genius of Dickens' characters?
8. William George Clark was known as a Shakespearean scholar, but he also published two books on other subjects. What other books does Clark publish?
9. What two things does Forster say daily life is comprised of?
10. How does Forster define the novel in its most basic terms?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)