|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Forster considers what to be the enemy when studying literature?
2. Forster says novelists find death to be ____________.
3. Who is the second hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
(a) A golfer.
(b) A writer.
(c) A zookeeper.
(d) A bus driver.
4. What does Forster say it is impossible to study about literature?
5. In what year does E.M. Forster present his lecture series, Aspects of the Novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which novel does Forster say has a sense of space?
2. A novel that does not include an aspect of time is _____________.
3. Flat characters are seldom used in what type of novels?
4. What is the name of the young man in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
5. Characters must not spread themselves out too far, but rather should ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Forster believe to be the flaws in Sir Walter Scott's writing?
2. What is striking about the funerals described in the excerpts by H.G. Wells and Charles Dickens?
3. William George Clark was known as a Shakespearean scholar, but he also published two books on other subjects. What other books does Clark publish?
4. How does Forster say that Scheherazade avoids her fate?
5. How does Forster describe the point of view in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens?
6. What are the guidelines William George Clark requests for the lecture series he began at Trinity College?
7. According to Forster, what is the purpose of food in fiction?
8. What does Forster consider to be the strangest of the five basic elements of life?
9. What does Forster look at in terms of characters in the second section on People?
10. According to Forster, what does a good novel do?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)