|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which novel does Forster say that the author bounces the reader around characters?
(a) War and Peace.
(b) Mansfield Park.
(d) Bleak House.
2. According to Forster, the story is the ___________ of a voice in the novel.
3. Who is the first hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
(a) A zookeeper.
(b) A writer.
(c) A golfer.
(d) A bus driver.
4. In a work in which the author classifies novels by weather, how many different headings are there?
5. Forster contends that while The Antiquary has suspense, it lacks what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the young man in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
2. To be a true critic of literature, one must do what?
3. The story appeals to what is ___________ in people.
4. What is the highest common factor to all novels?
5. Which character from the novel Evan Harrington is a good example of a memorable flat character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Forster consider to be the strangest of the five basic elements of life?
2. Why does Forster hesitate to speculate on the future of the novel?
3. What is Forster's definition of a pseudo-scholar?
4. According to Forster, what is the purpose of food in fiction?
5. How does Forster define plot?
6. What are the guidelines William George Clark requests for the lecture series he began at Trinity College?
7. What is the possible future of the novel that Forster is willing to consider?
8. What are the two sides of a human being as described by the French critic Alain?
9. What is Forster trying to illustrate through the work of Gertrude Stein?
10. What does Forster mean when he describes a novel with a grand chain pattern?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)