Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which author has numerous flat characters who can express themselves in a single sentence?
2. Who is the Antiquary in Scott's novel?
(a) Jonathon Oldbuck.
(b) Miss Grizzle.
(c) Edie Ochiltree.
3. Where is Moll sent after she is caught stealing?
4. To be a true critic of literature, one must do what?
5. Who tries to abolish time in a novel according to Forster?
(a) Marcel Proust.
(b) Sir Walter Scott.
(c) Leo Tolstoy.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
Short Answer Questions
1. What novel does Forster refer to as his eternal summer?
2. Forster's third set of excerpts in the Introduction are from Virgina Woolf and _______________.
3. Forster refers to characters as ________ created by the novelist.
4. Storytelling is the ____________ aspect of the novel.
5. How many hours of the day does Forster suppose should be devoted to love?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Forster say that novelist Thomas Hardy is essentially a poet?
2. How does Forster define the novel in its most basic terms?
3. What is one of the reasons that love is "unduly prominent" in novels, according to Forster?
4. Why does Forster disagree with Aristotle about the purpose of characters?
5. How does Forster distinguish between fantasy and prophecy as aspects of the novel?
6. What role does the setting play in novels by Henry James?
7. What does Forster consider to be the strangest of the five basic elements of life?
8. How does Forster describe the Dostoevsky character, Dmitri Karamazov?
9. What two qualities does Forster believe the aspect of prophecy demands from a reader?
10. What is Forster trying to illustrate through the work of Gertrude Stein?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)