|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which novel does Forster say has a sense of space?
(b) War of the Worlds.
(c) The Antiquary.
(d) War and Peace.
2. What year does Charles Dickens publish Great Expectations?
3. What does Forster believe a good novel is "sogged with"?
4. The purpose of food in fiction is mostly a ____________ one.
5. Forster says characters are full of the spirit of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years separate the writing of Henry James and Samuel Richardson?
2. In the introductory section, Forster quotes from whom to describe the duties of the critic?
3. Forster says that neither ________ nor anticipation is interested in Father Time.
4. Which author does Forster say is a genius with characters who are caricatures?
5. Which characters in The Antiquary does Forster say Scott introduced artlessly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are flat characters sometimes referred to as humorous characters?
2. What are the guidelines William George Clark requests for the lecture series he began at Trinity College?
3. As defined by Forster, when is a character in a novel real?
4. What does Forster mean by a "sense of space" in War and Peace?
5. Why, in Forster's opinion, is Sir Walter Scott a popular novelist?
6. What does Forster demonstrate with the first sentence of The Antiquary by Sir Walter Scott?
7. According to Forster, what does a good novel do?
8. What is the tone that Forster notes both in the writing of Laurence Sterne and Virginia Woolf?
9. What does Forster consider to be the strangest of the five basic elements of life?
10. What commonality does Forster see between the writings of Henry James and Samuel Richardson?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)