|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which novel does Forster say that the author bounces the reader around characters?
(a) Mansfield Park.
(b) War and Peace.
(c) Bleak House.
2. Forster considers what to be the enemy when studying literature?
3. Through characters, novels give the reader the illusion of _________________.
4. What does Forster use as an example of something all humans have that rarely gets mentioned in novels?
5. Who does Forster say saved his life by telling good stories?
Short Answer Questions
1. William George Clark is best known for being what?
2. Forster says that Virginia Woolf is a what?
3. In The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders, the character is _____________.
4. Which poet does Forster say has made eating somewhat sensuous in his poems?
5. What does Forster say it is impossible to study about literature?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Forster mean by a "sense of space" in War and Peace?
2. Why does Forster illustrate through the novel Moll Flanders?
3. How does Forster describe the point of view in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens?
4. Why does Forster believe an Austen novel is more complicated than a Defoe novel?
5. What two things does Forster say daily life is comprised of?
6. What is the tone that Forster notes both in the writing of Laurence Sterne and Virginia Woolf?
7. According to Forster, what is the purpose of food in fiction?
8. What is Forster trying to illustrate through the work of Gertrude Stein?
9. What does Forster believe to be the flaws in Sir Walter Scott's writing?
10. What are the guidelines William George Clark requests for the lecture series he began at Trinity College?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)