|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which novel does Forster say that the author bounces the reader around characters?
(a) War and Peace.
(b) Mansfield Park.
(c) Bleak House.
2. As Forster begins the second section on People, he says that he turns from transplantation of characters to what?
3. In a work in which the author classifies novels by weather, how many different headings are there?
4. The critic Norman Douglas writes an open letter to which author?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Leo Tolstoy.
(c) Lawrence Sterne.
(d) D.H. Lawrence.
5. Forster says he is not analyzing The Antiquary, but rather _____________ it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Forster discusses the death of the character Mrs.Proudie in a novel by whom?
2. Who does Forster say is the real hero of The Old Wives' Tale?
3. What does Forster believe a good novel is "sogged with"?
4. Which author has numerous flat characters who can express themselves in a single sentence?
5. Forster considers a novel to be any fictitious prose over __________ words.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Forster believe an Austen novel is more complicated than a Defoe novel?
2. What does Forster believe is part of the genius of Dickens' characters?
3. What does Forster say is the difference between a novel and a memoir?
4. What is one of the reasons that love is "unduly prominent" in novels, according to Forster?
5. What does Forster believe to be the flaws in Sir Walter Scott's writing?
6. What image does Forster ask his audience to think of so as not to consider literature in the "stream of time"?
7. Why does Forster illustrate through the novel Moll Flanders?
8. What is Forster's definition of a pseudo-scholar?
9. William George Clark was known as a Shakespearean scholar, but he also published two books on other subjects. What other books does Clark publish?
10. Why are flat characters sometimes referred to as humorous characters?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)