|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Forster call characters like Miss Grizzle in The Antiquary?
(a) Ragged ends.
(b) Clever ploys.
(c) Annoying bits.
(d) Pointless blobs.
2. What are flat characters called in the seventeenth century?
(a) Paper thin.
3. Forster gives his series of lectures on the Aspects of the Novel at Trinity College at _______________.
(a) Oxford University.
(b) Harvard University.
(c) Cambridge University.
(d) Princeton University.
4. What is the name of the popular text William George Clark wrote?
(a) Shakespeare Around the Globe.
(b) Shakespearean Globe.
(c) Globe Theater and Shakespeare.
(d) Globe Shakespeare.
5. Fictional characters come into the world more like what than human beings?
Short Answer Questions
1. Works that deal with real people are called what?
2. What does Forster believe a good novel is "sogged with"?
3. How many years separate the writing of Henry James and Samuel Richardson?
4. The critic Norman Douglas writes an open letter to which author?
5. As Forster begins the second section on People, he says that he turns from transplantation of characters to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Forster demonstrate with the first sentence of The Antiquary by Sir Walter Scott?
2. What commonality does Forster see between the writings of Henry James and Samuel Richardson?
3. Why does Forster believe an Austen novel is more complicated than a Defoe novel?
4. What does Forster look at in terms of characters in the second section on People?
5. What is the difference between an Austen character and a Dickens character?
6. Why does Forster illustrate through the novel Moll Flanders?
7. How does Forster describe the point of view in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens?
8. What does Forster believe to be the flaws in Sir Walter Scott's writing?
9. What is one of the reasons that love is "unduly prominent" in novels, according to Forster?
10. William George Clark was known as a Shakespearean scholar, but he also published two books on other subjects. What other books does Clark publish?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)