|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which author does Forster say is a genius with characters who are caricatures?
2. A novel that does not include an aspect of time is _____________.
3. Birth and death are the what of the five facts of human life?
4. Who is the author of The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders?
(a) Daniel Defoe.
(b) George Meredith.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Anothony Trollope.
5. Considering literature on the basis of time periods is the act of the ________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Forster says that neither ________ nor anticipation is interested in Father Time.
2. What is the highest common factor to all novels?
3. The story appeals to what is ___________ in people.
4. In what year does E.M. Forster present his lecture series, Aspects of the Novel?
5. Flat characters are seldom used in what type of novels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the guidelines William George Clark requests for the lecture series he began at Trinity College?
2. Who does Forster classify as the prophet and the non-prophet in literature?
3. What are the two movements of the human mind that Forster discusses in the conclusion?
4. According to Forster, what is the purpose of food in fiction?
5. How does Forster define the novel in its most basic terms?
6. How does Forster describe the point of view in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens?
7. What is the possible future of the novel that Forster is willing to consider?
8. What is striking about the funerals described in the excerpts by H.G. Wells and Charles Dickens?
9. What are the two elements that Forster says are necessary for plot?
10. How does a Marcel Proust novel demonstrate the aspect of rhythm?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)