|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the book written by critic Percy Lubbock?
(a) Novel Writing.
(b) The Craft of Fiction.
(c) The Art and Craft of Novel Writing.
(d) Critiques on Fiction.
2. According to Forster, the story is the ___________ of a voice in the novel.
3. The critic Norman Douglas writes an open letter to which author?
(a) Leo Tolstoy.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) Lawrence Sterne.
(d) D.H. Lawrence.
4. Forster refers to characters as ________ created by the novelist.
(c) Word masses.
5. Whose method with character does Forster believe has been misunderstood?
Short Answer Questions
1. Forster says characters are full of the spirit of what?
2. What novel does Forster refer to as his eternal summer?
3. According to Forster, what is the final test of a novel?
4. The historian ______________, while the novelist creates.
5. Forster surmises that the character Moll was born out the author's experience in _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Forster say that Scheherazade avoids her fate?
2. What does Forster mean when he says that novels give us the "illusion of perspicacity"?
3. What are the two sides of a human being as described by the French critic Alain?
4. William George Clark was known as a Shakespearean scholar, but he also published two books on other subjects. What other books does Clark publish?
5. What is Forster's definition of a pseudo-scholar?
6. What does Forster believe is part of the genius of Dickens' characters?
7. What two things does Forster say daily life is comprised of?
8. Why, in Forster's opinion, is Sir Walter Scott a popular novelist?
9. What is the tone that Forster notes both in the writing of Laurence Sterne and Virginia Woolf?
10. What does Forster believe to be the flaws in Sir Walter Scott's writing?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)