|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the book that William George Clark wrote about his time in Spain?
2. Through characters, novels give the reader the illusion of _________________.
3. Whose method with character does Forster believe has been misunderstood?
4. In the introductory section, Forster quotes from whom to describe the duties of the critic?
(a) T. S. Elliot.
(b) C.S. Lewis.
(c) Sir Walter Scott.
(d) William George Clark.
5. All writers, regardless of time period or subject matter, write because of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. As Forster begins the second section on People, he says that he turns from transplantation of characters to what?
2. Forster discusses the motto "_______ develops, Art stands still" in the introductory section.
3. The test of a round character is whether it is capable of _________ the reader.
4. Who does Forster say saved his life by telling good stories?
5. Novelists unintentionally make their characters overly sensitive to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. As defined by Forster, when is a character in a novel real?
2. What does Forster mean when he says that novels give us the "illusion of perspicacity"?
3. What does Forster mean by a "sense of space" in War and Peace?
4. What image does Forster ask his audience to think of so as not to consider literature in the "stream of time"?
5. What is the tone that Forster notes both in the writing of Laurence Sterne and Virginia Woolf?
6. What commonality does Forster see between the writings of Henry James and Samuel Richardson?
7. According to Forster, what is the purpose of food in fiction?
8. What is Forster's definition of a pseudo-scholar?
9. What is one of the reasons that love is "unduly prominent" in novels, according to Forster?
10. How does Forster describe the point of view in the novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)