|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The novel Thais is in the pattern of what?
2. Forster quotes George Meredith as saying we must live by the ___________ or the block.
3. A Meredithian plot resembles a series of what?
4. Who is the author of The Brothers Karamazov?
5. What is the name of the main character in Les Fax Monnayeurs?
6. What is the name of the main character in The Brothers Karamazov?
7. Who is the author of Zuleika Dobson?
(a) Thomas Hardy.
(b) George Meredith.
(c) Percy Lubbock.
(d) Max Beerbohm.
8. According to Forster, Moby Dick should be seen as a what?
9. When comparing plot and drama, Forster visualizes plot as what?
(a) Queen of England.
(b) Higher government official.
(c) Grand Dame.
(d) Lowly paid worker.
10. To explore fantasy, who does Forster call upon?
11. The plot of a novel asks what question?
12. Who does Forster say is a character type that is seen in many Henry James novels?
13. What does Forster say is one of the lowest of human faculties?
14. Forster distinguishes novels with fantasy and novels with prophecy by their what?
15. Forster wonders how ____ will combine with the "furniture of common sense" when it comes to prophecy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main character in Ulysses?
2. Forster says if rhythm is done badly it hardens into a what?
3. Forster refers to prophecy as being a(n) _______ in the novelist's voice.
4. What is the novel Ulysses adapted from?
5. Who is the author of Moby Dick?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)