|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Plot represents the _______ in literary work.
2. What is the name of the main character in Ulysses?
(a) William Seymour.
(b) Leopold Bloom.
(c) Humphrey Ward.
(d) George Ulysses.
3. Forster wonders if there is any rhythm in novels comparable to ____________.
(a) The Fifth Symphony.
(b) Symphony No. 3.
(c) Pastoral Symphony.
(d) Symphony No. 7.
4. Which George Eliot novel does Forster refer to in his discussion of prophecy?
(b) Silas Marner.
(c) The Mill on the Floss.
(d) Adam Bede.
5. What shape is the pattern of The Ambassadors?
6. The Magic Flute is a parody of the work of whom?
7. The novel Thais is in the pattern of what?
8. Who is the one living prophetic novelist that Forster names at the time of his lecture series?
(a) D.H. Lawrence.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Henry James.
(d) George Eliot.
9. Which author does Forster say his own priggishness prevents him from enjoying?
(a) Oscar Wilde.
(b) George Meredith.
(c) Jane Austen.
(d) Conan Doyle.
10. Who is the author of The Brothers Karamazov?
11. Aristotle said characters give the reader qualities through _________.
12. According to Forster, Moby Dick should be seen as a what?
13. Which author does Forster refer to when talking about the chaos that prophecy can bring to a novel?
(a) Emily Bronte.
(b) George Meredith.
(c) D.H. Lawrence.
(d) Lawrence Sterne.
14. What is the setting of Zuleika Dobson?
15. What novel does Forster refer to when discussing the supernatural aspect of fantasy?
(a) Tristram Shandy.
(b) Shane McDadey.
(c) Wisdom's Window.
(d) All The Gods.
Short Answer Questions
1. The plot of a novel asks what question?
2. Forster refers to prophecy as being a(n) _______ in the novelist's voice.
3. Forster believes that happiness and misery exist in the ___________.
4. Forster calls Zuleika Dobson the most ___________ achievement of fantasy in his time.
5. What is the thing a novelist should never aim for, but fails if this is not achieved?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)