|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Forster says he will borrow from what in describing pattern?
2. Plot represents the _______ in literary work.
3. Which Meredith novel does Forster use to demonstrate a character with a concealed emotion?
(a) The Egoist.
(b) The Bishop's Tale.
(c) Barnaby's Crossing.
(d) Beauchamp's Career.
4. Who does Forster say is a character type that is seen in many Henry James novels?
5. Who is the main character in the George Eliot novel that Forster uses to illustrate prophecy?
6. What is the name of the main character in The Brothers Karamazov?
7. What does Forster say is the enduring effect of The Ambassadors?
8. The novel Joseph Andrews is an adaptation of what novel?
9. Forster says that Meredith was the greatest _____ that English fiction ever produced.
10. Aristotle said characters give the reader qualities through _________.
11. Forster says an easy way to define any aspect of fiction is to consider what kind of ___________ it makes on the reader.
12. Who is the author of Boon?
(a) H.G. Wells.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) D.H. Lawrence.
(d) Henry James.
13. What is the setting of Ulysses?
14. What is the name of the main character in Les Fax Monnayeurs?
15. Who is the author of Les Faux Monnayeurs?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Andre Gide.
(c) Thomas Hardy.
(d) Anthony Trollope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Forster says there are elements of music in War and Peace, which he refers to as a "___________ book."
2. Which author does Forster refer to as a preacher, not a prophet?
3. Which author does Forster say his own priggishness prevents him from enjoying?
4. To explore fantasy, who does Forster call upon?
5. Who is the author of The Brothers Karamazov?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)