Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of The Ambassadors?
2. The Magic Flute is a parody of the work of whom?
3. What is the one short story that Forster discusses in his lectures?
(b) Billy Bud.
(c) The Pit and the Pendulum.
(d) The Birthmark.
4. Who is the author of Les Faux Monnayeurs?
(a) Thomas Hardy.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) Andre Gide.
(d) Anthony Trollope.
5. Forster says ___________ never comes off in novels.
6. Who is the author of Zuleika Dobson?
(a) Percy Lubbock.
(b) George Meredith.
(c) Max Beerbohm.
(d) Thomas Hardy.
7. What does Forster say is one of the lowest of human faculties?
8. Which author does Forster refer to when talking about the chaos that prophecy can bring to a novel?
(a) George Meredith.
(b) Lawrence Sterne.
(c) D.H. Lawrence.
(d) Emily Bronte.
9. Forster says an easy way to define any aspect of fiction is to consider what kind of ___________ it makes on the reader.
10. Which author does Forster refer to as a preacher, not a prophet?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) Henry James.
(c) Fyodor Dostoevsky.
(d) George Eliot.
11. What does prophecy require from the reader in addition to a suspension of a sense of humor?
12. What is the thing a novelist should never aim for, but fails if this is not achieved?
13. Which one of the following is NOT an author that Forster considers to use prophecy well?
14. Which Meredith novel does Forster use to demonstrate a character with a concealed emotion?
(a) Barnaby's Crossing.
(b) The Bishop's Tale.
(c) Beauchamp's Career.
(d) The Egoist.
15. Forster wonders if there is any rhythm in novels comparable to ____________.
(a) The Fifth Symphony.
(b) Pastoral Symphony.
(c) Symphony No. 7.
(d) Symphony No. 3.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the main character in Les Fax Monnayeurs?
2. Who is the author of The Brothers Karamazov?
3. Forster says if rhythm is done badly it hardens into a what?
4. Forster says he will borrow from what in describing pattern?
5. A plot requires a reader's intelligence and __________.
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)