|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of Ulysses?
(b) E.M. Forster.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Henry James.
2. Flecker's Magic combines the kingdoms of magic and _________.
(a) Transcendent reflection.
(b) Common sense.
3. What is the name of the main character in Les Fax Monnayeurs?
4. What does prophecy require from the reader in addition to a suspension of a sense of humor?
5. Forster says if rhythm is done badly it hardens into a what?
6. What is the setting of The Ambassadors?
7. Who is the author of Zuleika Dobson?
(a) Thomas Hardy.
(b) Max Beerbohm.
(c) Percy Lubbock.
(d) George Meredith.
8. Flecker's Magic by Norman Matson is about a _________.
9. Forster refers to prophecy as being a(n) _______ in the novelist's voice.
10. What is the name of the main character in Moby Dick?
11. Who is the author of Boon?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) D.H. Lawrence.
(c) H.G. Wells.
(d) Henry James.
12. Forster says it is wrong to see the __________ in Moby Dick as a symbol.
13. Aristotle said characters give the reader qualities through _________.
14. Forster wonders how ____ will combine with the "furniture of common sense" when it comes to prophecy.
15. Which George Eliot novel does Forster refer to in his discussion of prophecy?
(a) The Mill on the Floss.
(b) Adam Bede.
(d) Silas Marner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What shape is the pattern of The Ambassadors?
2. Which Meredith novel does Forster use to demonstrate a character with a concealed emotion?
3. What novel does Forster refer to when discussing the supernatural aspect of fantasy?
4. Who is the author of Moby Dick?
5. Forster says there are elements of music in War and Peace, which he refers to as a "___________ book."
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)