|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Forster wonders how ____ will combine with the "furniture of common sense" when it comes to prophecy.
2. A plot requires a reader's intelligence and __________.
3. The novel Thais is in the pattern of what?
4. What is the setting of Ulysses?
5. What is the name of the last ship in Moby Dick that Forster thinks is aptly named?
6. Who is the author of Roman Pictures?
(a) Percy Lubbock.
(b) George Meredith.
(c) D.H. Lawrence.
(d) E.M. Forster.
7. Forster quotes George Meredith as saying we must live by the ___________ or the block.
8. Who does Forster say is a character type that is seen in many Henry James novels?
9. What is the name of the main character in Ulysses?
(a) William Seymour.
(b) Leopold Bloom.
(c) Humphrey Ward.
(d) George Ulysses.
10. Which Meredith novel does Forster discuss at length?
(a) The Egoist.
(b) Beauchamp's Career.
(c) The Bishop's Tale.
(d) Barnaby's Crossing.
11. Which George Eliot novel does Forster refer to in his discussion of prophecy?
(a) Adam Bede.
(c) Silas Marner.
(d) The Mill on the Floss.
12. Which one of the following is NOT an author that Forster considers to use prophecy well?
13. What is the thing a novelist should never aim for, but fails if this is not achieved?
14. Forster says ___________ never comes off in novels.
15. A Meredithian plot resembles a series of what?
Short Answer Questions
1. In comparing music and literature, Forster says a novelist must try to achieve what?
2. Boon is a parody of whose writing style?
3. The Magic Flute is a parody of the work of whom?
4. Who is the author of Zuleika Dobson?
5. Who is the one living prophetic novelist that Forster names at the time of his lecture series?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)