|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Forster call the small gods that he says haunt us today?
2. When comparing plot and drama, Forster visualizes plot as what?
(a) Queen of England.
(b) Lowly paid worker.
(c) Higher government official.
(d) Grand Dame.
3. What is the setting of The Ambassadors?
4. Flecker's Magic by Norman Matson is about a _________.
5. Who is the author of Ulysses?
(b) Henry James.
(c) E.M. Forster.
(d) James Joyce.
6. Who is the author of Zuleika Dobson?
(a) Thomas Hardy.
(b) George Meredith.
(c) Percy Lubbock.
(d) Max Beerbohm.
7. What is the name of the last ship in Moby Dick that Forster thinks is aptly named?
8. Forster considers Roman Pictures to be a __________.
(a) Social comedy.
(d) Love story.
9. Who does Forster say is a character type that is seen in many Henry James novels?
10. Forster refers to prophecy as being a(n) _______ in the novelist's voice.
11. Forster says he will borrow from what in describing pattern?
12. The novel Joseph Andrews is an adaptation of what novel?
13. What is the setting of Ulysses?
14. Forster contends that Henry James has two kinds of main characters, the observer and the ________.
(a) Wise widow.
(b) First-rate manipulator.
(c) Tragic lover.
(d) Second-rate outsider.
15. What is the name of the main character in Ulysses?
(a) Leopold Bloom.
(b) William Seymour.
(c) Humphrey Ward.
(d) George Ulysses.
Short Answer Questions
1. A Meredithian plot resembles a series of what?
2. Which one of the following is NOT an author that Forster considers to use prophecy well?
3. Boon is a parody of whose writing style?
4. Which George Eliot novel does Forster refer to in his discussion of prophecy?
5. Who is the main character in the George Eliot novel that Forster uses to illustrate prophecy?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)