|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Zuleika Dobson?
2. Which author does Forster refer to when talking about the chaos that prophecy can bring to a novel?
(a) D.H. Lawrence.
(b) Emily Bronte.
(c) George Meredith.
(d) Lawrence Sterne.
3. In comparing music and literature, Forster says a novelist must try to achieve what?
4. Who is the author of Ulysses?
(a) E.M. Forster.
(b) James Joyce.
(c) Henry James.
5. What does Forster say is absolutely essential to a plot?
6. Flecker's Magic by Norman Matson is about a _________.
7. The novel Thais is in the pattern of what?
8. Who does Forster say has novels with plots that "triumph too completely?"
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) Leo Tolstoy.
(c) Andre Gide.
(d) Thomas Hardy.
9. Who is the author of The Brothers Karamazov?
10. Forster wonders if there is any rhythm in novels comparable to ____________.
(a) Pastoral Symphony.
(b) Symphony No. 7.
(c) Symphony No. 3.
(d) The Fifth Symphony.
11. To explore fantasy, who does Forster call upon?
12. Who is the author of Zuleika Dobson?
(a) Percy Lubbock.
(b) Thomas Hardy.
(c) Max Beerbohm.
(d) George Meredith.
13. Forster believes that happiness and misery exist in the ___________.
(a) After life.
(b) Author's imagination.
(d) Secret life.
14. What shape is the pattern of The Ambassadors?
15. What is the name of the main character in The Brothers Karamazov?
Short Answer Questions
1. Flecker's Magic combines the kingdoms of magic and _________.
2. What is the name of the main character in Moby Dick?
3. Boon is a parody of whose writing style?
4. A Meredithian plot resembles a series of what?
5. Forster says ___________ never comes off in novels.
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)