|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Forster distinguishes novels with fantasy and novels with prophecy by their what?
2. Forster says he will borrow from what in describing pattern?
3. Who is the author of Ulysses?
(a) James Joyce.
(b) E.M. Forster.
(d) Henry James.
4. Which Meredith novel does Forster use to demonstrate a character with a concealed emotion?
(a) The Bishop's Tale.
(b) Barnaby's Crossing.
(c) The Egoist.
(d) Beauchamp's Career.
5. Which author does Forster say his own priggishness prevents him from enjoying?
(a) Conan Doyle.
(b) Jane Austen.
(c) George Meredith.
(d) Oscar Wilde.
6. What is the setting of Zuleika Dobson?
7. What novel does Forster refer to when discussing the supernatural aspect of fantasy?
(a) All The Gods.
(b) Tristram Shandy.
(c) Shane McDadey.
(d) Wisdom's Window.
8. What does Forster say is one of the lowest of human faculties?
9. Forster calls Zuleika Dobson the most ___________ achievement of fantasy in his time.
10. What is the name of the main character in Les Fax Monnayeurs?
11. What is the setting of The Ambassadors?
12. What is the one short story that Forster discusses in his lectures?
(a) Billy Bud.
(b) The Birthmark.
(d) The Pit and the Pendulum.
13. The plot of a novel asks what question?
14. What does Forster say is absolutely essential to a plot?
15. The novel Joseph Andrews is an adaptation of what novel?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Forster say is a character type that is seen in many Henry James novels?
2. Who is the one living prophetic novelist that Forster names at the time of his lecture series?
3. Forster believes that happiness and misery exist in the ___________.
4. What is the name of the main character in The Brothers Karamazov?
5. What is the setting of Thais?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)