|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Forster say has novels with plots that "triumph too completely?"
(a) Andre Gide.
(b) Thomas Hardy.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Leo Tolstoy.
2. What does prophecy require from the reader in addition to a suspension of a sense of humor?
3. What novel does Forster refer to when discussing the supernatural aspect of fantasy?
(a) All The Gods.
(b) Wisdom's Window.
(c) Tristram Shandy.
(d) Shane McDadey.
4. A plot requires a reader's intelligence and __________.
5. Which Meredith novel does Forster use to demonstrate a character with a concealed emotion?
(a) Beauchamp's Career.
(b) The Bishop's Tale.
(c) The Egoist.
(d) Barnaby's Crossing.
6. What is the setting of Zuleika Dobson?
7. What does Forster say is absolutely essential to a plot?
8. Forster says it is wrong to see the __________ in Moby Dick as a symbol.
9. What is the thing a novelist should never aim for, but fails if this is not achieved?
10. What is the name of the main character in The Brothers Karamazov?
11. Which George Eliot novel does Forster refer to in his discussion of prophecy?
(b) Adam Bede.
(c) Silas Marner.
(d) The Mill on the Floss.
12. What is the name of the main character in Ulysses?
(a) George Ulysses.
(b) Leopold Bloom.
(c) William Seymour.
(d) Humphrey Ward.
13. Forster says an easy way to define any aspect of fiction is to consider what kind of ___________ it makes on the reader.
14. Forster says that Meredith was the greatest _____ that English fiction ever produced.
15. Forster says there are elements of music in War and Peace, which he refers to as a "___________ book."
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for Flecker's Magic?
2. What is the name of the main character in Les Fax Monnayeurs?
3. Which one of the following is NOT an author that Forster considers to use prophecy well?
4. Forster wonders if there is any rhythm in novels comparable to ____________.
5. Forster quotes George Meredith as saying we must live by the ___________ or the block.
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)