|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of The Ambassadors?
2. What is the thing a novelist should never aim for, but fails if this is not achieved?
3. Which author does Forster refer to as a preacher, not a prophet?
(a) George Eliot.
(b) Henry James.
(c) Fyodor Dostoevsky.
(d) James Joyce.
4. Which George Eliot novel does Forster refer to in his discussion of prophecy?
(a) Silas Marner.
(c) Adam Bede.
(d) The Mill on the Floss.
5. Forster refers to prophecy as being a(n) _______ in the novelist's voice.
6. What is the setting of Zuleika Dobson?
7. The plot of a novel asks what question?
8. Forster believes that happiness and misery exist in the ___________.
(b) Author's imagination.
(c) Secret life.
(d) After life.
9. Forster wonders how ____ will combine with the "furniture of common sense" when it comes to prophecy.
10. Forster says there are elements of music in War and Peace, which he refers to as a "___________ book."
11. What is the setting for Flecker's Magic?
12. Which Meredith novel does Forster use to demonstrate a character with a concealed emotion?
(a) The Egoist.
(b) Beauchamp's Career.
(c) Barnaby's Crossing.
(d) The Bishop's Tale.
13. What does Forster call the small gods that he says haunt us today?
14. What does prophecy require from the reader in addition to a suspension of a sense of humor?
15. Which author does Forster refer to when talking about the chaos that prophecy can bring to a novel?
(a) D.H. Lawrence.
(b) Lawrence Sterne.
(c) Emily Bronte.
(d) George Meredith.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Forster say is absolutely essential to a plot?
2. The novel Joseph Andrews is an adaptation of what novel?
3. A Meredithian plot resembles a series of what?
4. What does Forster say is the enduring effect of The Ambassadors?
5. What is the name of the main character in Ulysses?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)