|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Forster call the small gods that he says haunt us today?
2. What is the thing a novelist should never aim for, but fails if this is not achieved?
3. What is the one short story that Forster discusses in his lectures?
(b) The Pit and the Pendulum.
(c) Billy Bud.
(d) The Birthmark.
4. What does Forster say is one of the lowest of human faculties?
5. What is the setting of Zuleika Dobson?
6. Which author does Forster refer to when talking about the chaos that prophecy can bring to a novel?
(a) D.H. Lawrence.
(b) Emily Bronte.
(c) Lawrence Sterne.
(d) George Meredith.
7. Which Meredith novel does Forster use to demonstrate a character with a concealed emotion?
(a) The Bishop's Tale.
(b) The Egoist.
(c) Beauchamp's Career.
(d) Barnaby's Crossing.
8. Who is the author of Roman Pictures?
(a) George Meredith.
(b) E.M. Forster.
(c) Percy Lubbock.
(d) D.H. Lawrence.
9. A Meredithian plot resembles a series of what?
10. Forster wonders if there is any rhythm in novels comparable to ____________.
(a) Symphony No. 7.
(b) Symphony No. 3.
(c) Pastoral Symphony.
(d) The Fifth Symphony.
11. Flecker's Magic combines the kingdoms of magic and _________.
(a) Transcendent reflection.
(d) Common sense.
12. Which George Eliot novel does Forster refer to in his discussion of prophecy?
(a) Silas Marner.
(b) The Mill on the Floss.
(c) Adam Bede.
13. Forster considers Roman Pictures to be a __________.
(a) Love story.
(b) Social comedy.
14. Forster distinguishes novels with fantasy and novels with prophecy by their what?
15. What is the setting of The Ambassadors?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the novel Ulysses adapted from?
2. Who is the main character in the George Eliot novel that Forster uses to illustrate prophecy?
3. Who is the author of Ulysses?
4. Forster says it is wrong to see the __________ in Moby Dick as a symbol.
5. What is the name of the main character in The Ambassadors?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)