|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which author does Forster say is a genius with characters who are caricatures?
2. Novelists unintentionally make their characters overly sensitive to what?
3. How many years separate the writing of Henry James and Samuel Richardson?
4. Who tries to abolish time in a novel according to Forster?
(a) Marcel Proust.
(b) Leo Tolstoy.
(c) Gertrude Stein.
(d) Sir Walter Scott.
5. Forster contends that while The Antiquary has suspense, it lacks what?
6. What year does Charles Dickens publish Great Expectations?
7. Birth and death are the what of the five facts of human life?
8. Who is the author of The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders?
(a) Anothony Trollope.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) Daniel Defoe.
(d) George Meredith.
9. According to Forster, the story is the ___________ of a voice in the novel.
10. Whose method with character does Forster believe has been misunderstood?
11. Forster considers what to be the enemy when studying literature?
12. In The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders, the character is _____________.
13. Forster believes the truest way to look at a novel is by examining the author's what?
14. Fictional characters come into the world more like what than human beings?
15. The critic Norman Douglas writes an open letter to which author?
(a) Lawrence Sterne.
(b) D.H. Lawrence.
(c) Leo Tolstoy.
(d) Charles Dickens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poet does Forster say has made eating somewhat sensuous in his poems?
2. Forster discusses the motto "_______ develops, Art stands still" in the introductory section.
3. How many hours of the day does Forster suppose should be devoted to love?
4. What novel does Forster refer to as his eternal summer?
5. Forster says that permanency is one of the illusions attached to what?
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)