|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are flat characters called in the seventeenth century?
(d) Paper thin.
2. What does Forster say it is impossible to study about literature?
3. What is the name of the young man in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
4. Forster says that Virginia Woolf is a what?
5. Forster says that permanency is one of the illusions attached to what?
6. What is the name of the popular text William George Clark wrote?
(a) Shakespeare Around the Globe.
(b) Shakespearean Globe.
(c) Globe Theater and Shakespeare.
(d) Globe Shakespeare.
7. Who does Forster say is the real hero of The Old Wives' Tale?
8. Characters must not spread themselves out too far, but rather should ____________.
(a) Be consistent.
(b) Think small.
(c) Exercise mutual restraint.
(d) Eat, drink, and be merry.
9. What does Forster believe a good novel is "sogged with"?
10. Forster contends that while The Antiquary has suspense, it lacks what?
11. Who does Forster use as an example when he discusses the difference between real people and fictional people?
(a) Queen Elizabeth.
(b) Queen Victoria.
(c) Princess Diana.
(d) Prince Albert.
12. Who does Forster say saved his life by telling good stories?
13. Who is the first hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
(a) A zookeeper.
(b) A golfer.
(c) A bus driver.
(d) A writer.
14. Forster gives his series of lectures on the Aspects of the Novel at Trinity College at _______________.
(a) Oxford University.
(b) Princeton University.
(c) Harvard University.
(d) Cambridge University.
15. Forster starts his discussion of round characters with the novel ____________.
(a) Wuthering Heights.
(b) Mansfield Park.
(d) War and Peace.
Short Answer Questions
1. In The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders, the character is _____________.
2. Storytelling is the ____________ aspect of the novel.
3. In what year does E.M. Forster present his lecture series, Aspects of the Novel?
4. Forster says that neither ________ nor anticipation is interested in Father Time.
5. Which character from the novel Evan Harrington is a good example of a memorable flat character?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)