|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Forster says that permanency is one of the illusions attached to what?
2. Where is Moll sent after she is caught stealing?
3. What is the silliest way Forster believes there is to classify novels?
(a) Author's names.
(b) Subject matter.
(c) Time period.
4. What is the name of the Jane Austen character that Forster uses to illustrate "life like" aspects of characters?
(a) Elizabeth Bennet.
(b) Mrs. Bennet.
(c) Mr. Baker.
(d) Miss Bates.
5. Forster refers to characters as ________ created by the novelist.
(b) Word masses.
6. Forster considers a novel to be any fictitious prose over __________ words.
7. Which characters in The Antiquary does Forster say Scott introduced artlessly?
(a) The Gallentry.
(b) The Glenallans.
(c) The Glenwoods.
(d) The Gallenhalls.
8. Forster starts his discussion of round characters with the novel ____________.
(b) Wuthering Heights.
(c) Mansfield Park.
(d) War and Peace.
9. Who tries to abolish time in a novel according to Forster?
(a) Marcel Proust.
(b) Gertrude Stein.
(c) Leo Tolstoy.
(d) Sir Walter Scott.
10. Forster says characters are full of the spirit of what?
11. Forster compares the story as the _________ of the novel.
12. According to Forster, the story is the ___________ of a voice in the novel.
13. Forster says novelists find death to be ____________.
14. Who is the second hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
(a) A bus driver.
(b) A zookeeper.
(c) A golfer.
(d) A writer.
15. Who is the author of The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders?
(a) Daniel Defoe.
(b) Anothony Trollope.
(c) George Meredith.
(d) Charles Dickens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Antiquary in Scott's novel?
2. In which novel does Forster say that the author bounces the reader around characters?
3. What novel does Forster refer to as his eternal summer?
4. Which author does the critic Percy Lubbock feel does not do a good job with point of view?
5. Forster discusses the motto "_______ develops, Art stands still" in the introductory section.
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)