|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The secret lives of people in novels are __________.
2. To be a true critic of literature, one must do what?
3. Forster says he is not analyzing The Antiquary, but rather _____________ it.
4. Forster discusses the motto "_______ develops, Art stands still" in the introductory section.
5. What is the occupation of the husband Moll loves deeply in the novel?
6. William George Clark is best known for being what?
(a) Shakespearean Scholar.
7. Who does Forster say is the real hero of The Old Wives' Tale?
8. The story appeals to what is ___________ in people.
9. Forster believes the truest way to look at a novel is by examining the author's what?
10. Forster starts his discussion of round characters with the novel ____________.
(a) Mansfield Park.
(b) War and Peace.
(c) Wuthering Heights.
11. Forster considers a novel to be any fictitious prose over __________ words.
12. What is the only literary tool to have an effect on tyrants and savages?
13. Forster says that Virginia Woolf is a what?
14. Who is the second hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
(a) A zookeeper.
(b) A writer.
(c) A bus driver.
(d) A golfer.
15. What is the name of the book that William George Clark wrote about his time in Spain?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poet does Forster say has made eating somewhat sensuous in his poems?
2. In which novel does Forster say that the author bounces the reader around characters?
3. According to Forster, the story is the ___________ of a voice in the novel.
4. What is the name of the French critic Forster quotes in his discussion of People?
5. Which characters in The Antiquary does Forster say Scott introduced artlessly?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)