|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Forster says that history is dominated by a sense of what?
2. Forster considers what to be the enemy when studying literature?
3. According to Forster, what is the final test of a novel?
(a) Financial gains of the author.
(b) Critical acclaim.
(c) Our affection for it.
(d) Time it is published.
4. How many years separate the writing of Henry James and Samuel Richardson?
5. Which novel does Forster say has a sense of space?
(a) The Antiquary.
(b) War and Peace.
(c) War of the Worlds.
6. What is the occupation of the husband Moll loves deeply in the novel?
7. What does Scott accomplish in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
(a) Determine the plot.
(b) Setting the scene.
(c) Introducing the characters.
(d) Boring the reader.
8. In the People section, Forster says that novelists are appealing to more than our _________ when it comes to the characters of a novel.
9. All writers, regardless of time period or subject matter, write because of what?
10. What is the name of the French critic Forster quotes in his discussion of People?
(a) Jean Claude.
11. According to Forster, the story is the ___________ of a voice in the novel.
12. How does Forster say he would answer the question, "What does a novel do?"
13. Which author has numerous flat characters who can express themselves in a single sentence?
14. What is the name of the book written by critic Percy Lubbock?
(a) The Craft of Fiction.
(b) Critiques on Fiction.
(c) Novel Writing.
(d) The Art and Craft of Novel Writing.
15. What does Forster believe a good novel is "sogged with"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which author does the critic Percy Lubbock feel does not do a good job with point of view?
2. Who is the second hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
3. Whose method with character does Forster believe has been misunderstood?
4. Who is the Antiquary in Scott's novel?
5. What novel does Forster refer to as his eternal summer?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)