|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The test of a round character is whether it is capable of _________ the reader.
2. A novel that does not include an aspect of time is _____________.
3. Which novel does Forster say has a sense of space?
(a) War of the Worlds.
(b) War and Peace.
(d) The Antiquary.
4. Forster believes daily life is made up of time and ___________.
5. According to Forster, what is the final test of a novel?
(a) Our affection for it.
(b) Time it is published.
(c) Financial gains of the author.
(d) Critical acclaim.
6. Forster gives his series of lectures on the Aspects of the Novel at Trinity College at _______________.
(a) Oxford University.
(b) Harvard University.
(c) Princeton University.
(d) Cambridge University.
7. Forster says novelists find death to be ____________.
8. Forster contends that while The Antiquary has suspense, it lacks what?
9. Which character from the novel Evan Harrington is a good example of a memorable flat character?
(a) The Countess.
(b) Becky Sharp.
(c) The Count of Denmark.
(d) Jane Elliot.
10. Forster discusses the motto "_______ develops, Art stands still" in the introductory section.
11. Forster compares the story as the _________ of the novel.
12. According to Forster, the story is the ___________ of a voice in the novel.
13. All writers, regardless of time period or subject matter, write because of what?
14. Considering literature on the basis of time periods is the act of the ________________.
15. Novelists unintentionally make their characters overly sensitive to what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Forster say it is impossible to study about literature?
2. How does Forster say he would answer the question, "What does a novel do?"
3. What is the name of the Jane Austen character that Forster uses to illustrate "life like" aspects of characters?
4. In which novel does Forster say that the author bounces the reader around characters?
5. Forster says he is not analyzing The Antiquary, but rather _____________ it.
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)