|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Forster considers what to be the enemy when studying literature?
2. Whose characters does Forster describe as being as "flat as a photograph"?
(a) Jane Austen.
(b) Charles Dickens.
(c) H.G. Wells.
(d) Leo Tolstoy.
3. Which characters in The Antiquary does Forster say Scott introduced artlessly?
(a) The Gallenhalls.
(b) The Glenwoods.
(c) The Glenallans.
(d) The Gallentry.
4. Who is the Antiquary in Scott's novel?
(b) Edie Ochiltree.
(c) Miss Grizzle.
(d) Jonathon Oldbuck.
5. Forster says that Virginia Woolf is a what?
6. Novelists unintentionally make their characters overly sensitive to what?
7. What is the name of the young man in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
8. Who tries to abolish time in a novel according to Forster?
(a) Marcel Proust.
(b) Leo Tolstoy.
(c) Gertrude Stein.
(d) Sir Walter Scott.
9. Who is the author of The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) George Meredith.
(c) Anothony Trollope.
(d) Daniel Defoe.
10. In the People section, Forster says that novelists are appealing to more than our _________ when it comes to the characters of a novel.
11. What is the only literary tool to have an effect on tyrants and savages?
12. The story appeals to what is ___________ in people.
13. All writers, regardless of time period or subject matter, write because of what?
14. William George Clark is best known for being what?
(c) Shakespearean Scholar.
15. Which poet does Forster say has made eating somewhat sensuous in his poems?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does E.M. Forster present his lecture series, Aspects of the Novel?
2. The critic Norman Douglas writes an open letter to which author?
3. According to Forster, the story is the ___________ of a voice in the novel.
4. Forster's third set of excerpts in the Introduction are from Virgina Woolf and _______________.
5. A novel that does not include an aspect of time is _____________.
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)