|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the Antiquary in Scott's novel?
(a) Edie Ochiltree.
(c) Jonathon Oldbuck.
(d) Miss Grizzle.
2. The purpose of food in fiction is mostly a ____________ one.
3. A novel that does not include an aspect of time is _____________.
4. The critic Norman Douglas writes an open letter to which author?
(a) Charles Dickens.
(b) D.H. Lawrence.
(c) Lawrence Sterne.
(d) Leo Tolstoy.
5. Forster says that permanency is one of the illusions attached to what?
6. Which character from the novel Evan Harrington is a good example of a memorable flat character?
(a) The Countess.
(b) The Count of Denmark.
(c) Becky Sharp.
(d) Jane Elliot.
7. The historian ______________, while the novelist creates.
8. Who tries to abolish time in a novel according to Forster?
(a) Leo Tolstoy.
(b) Marcel Proust.
(c) Sir Walter Scott.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
9. What does Scott accomplish in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
(a) Setting the scene.
(b) Introducing the characters.
(c) Determine the plot.
(d) Boring the reader.
10. Which poet does Forster say has made eating somewhat sensuous in his poems?
11. Who is the first hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
(a) A golfer.
(b) A writer.
(c) A bus driver.
(d) A zookeeper.
12. Forster surmises that the character Moll was born out the author's experience in _____________.
13. Forster discusses the death of the character Mrs.Proudie in a novel by whom?
14. Forster discusses the motto "_______ develops, Art stands still" in the introductory section.
15. The test of a round character is whether it is capable of _________ the reader.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Forster, what is the final test of a novel?
2. The story appeals to what is ___________ in people.
3. Fictional characters come into the world more like what than human beings?
4. Which author does Forster say is a genius with characters who are caricatures?
5. What is the silliest way Forster believes there is to classify novels?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)