|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Forster believes daily life is made up of time and ___________.
2. Whose characters does Forster describe as being as "flat as a photograph"?
(a) H.G. Wells.
(b) Leo Tolstoy.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Jane Austen.
3. What does Forster believe a good novel is "sogged with"?
4. To be a true critic of literature, one must do what?
5. In Forster's opinion, what is the key failing of English fiction?
6. The historian ______________, while the novelist creates.
7. What does Scott accomplish in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
(a) Boring the reader.
(b) Determine the plot.
(c) Introducing the characters.
(d) Setting the scene.
8. In a work in which the author classifies novels by weather, how many different headings are there?
9. What does Forster use as an example of something all humans have that rarely gets mentioned in novels?
10. Which poet does Forster say has made eating somewhat sensuous in his poems?
11. Who tries to abolish time in a novel according to Forster?
(a) Marcel Proust.
(b) Leo Tolstoy.
(c) Sir Walter Scott.
(d) Gertrude Stein.
12. Who does Forster say is the real hero of The Old Wives' Tale?
13. As Forster begins the second section on People, he says that he turns from transplantation of characters to what?
14. What is the name of the popular text William George Clark wrote?
(a) Globe Theater and Shakespeare.
(b) Shakespearean Globe.
(c) Shakespeare Around the Globe.
(d) Globe Shakespeare.
15. According to Forster, what is the final test of a novel?
(a) Critical acclaim.
(b) Time it is published.
(c) Our affection for it.
(d) Financial gains of the author.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book that William George Clark wrote about his time in Spain?
2. Forster refers to characters as ________ created by the novelist.
3. Which novel does Forster say has a sense of space?
4. In which novel does Forster say that the author bounces the reader around characters?
5. Forster says that Virginia Woolf is a what?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)