|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Forster refers to characters as ________ created by the novelist.
(c) Word masses.
2. Which author does Forster say is a genius with characters who are caricatures?
3. Forster believes daily life is made up of time and ___________.
4. Which poet does Forster say has made eating somewhat sensuous in his poems?
5. Characters must not spread themselves out too far, but rather should ____________.
(a) Exercise mutual restraint.
(b) Eat, drink, and be merry.
(c) Be consistent.
(d) Think small.
6. What is the name of the Jane Austen character that Forster uses to illustrate "life like" aspects of characters?
(a) Elizabeth Bennet.
(b) Miss Bates.
(c) Mrs. Bennet.
(d) Mr. Baker.
7. What does Forster believe a good novel is "sogged with"?
8. What is the only literary tool to have an effect on tyrants and savages?
9. Forster believes the truest way to look at a novel is by examining the author's what?
10. Forster considers a novel to be any fictitious prose over __________ words.
11. In The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders, the character is _____________.
12. Storytelling is the ____________ aspect of the novel.
13. Forster says characters are full of the spirit of what?
14. In which novel does Forster say that the author bounces the reader around characters?
(b) War and Peace.
(c) Bleak House.
(d) Mansfield Park.
15. Which character from the novel Evan Harrington is a good example of a memorable flat character?
(a) The Count of Denmark.
(b) The Countess.
(c) Jane Elliot.
(d) Becky Sharp.
Short Answer Questions
1. Forster says novelists find death to be ____________.
2. Which novel does Forster say has a sense of space?
3. Who is the Antiquary in Scott's novel?
4. Forster says that Virginia Woolf is a what?
5. What does Forster say it is impossible to study about literature?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)