|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Forster say it is impossible to study about literature?
2. Whose characters does Forster describe as being as "flat as a photograph"?
(a) Jane Austen.
(b) Leo Tolstoy.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) H.G. Wells.
3. In The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders, the character is _____________.
4. What year does Charles Dickens publish Great Expectations?
5. In Forster's opinion, what is the key failing of English fiction?
6. Which characters in The Antiquary does Forster say Scott introduced artlessly?
(a) The Gallenhalls.
(b) The Gallentry.
(c) The Glenallans.
(d) The Glenwoods.
7. Storytelling is the ____________ aspect of the novel.
8. How does Forster say he would answer the question, "What does a novel do?"
9. Which poet does Forster say has made eating somewhat sensuous in his poems?
10. The secret lives of people in novels are __________.
11. Forster believes the truest way to look at a novel is by examining the author's what?
12. What is the highest common factor to all novels?
(a) The plot.
(b) The theme.
(c) The story.
(d) The character.
13. What does Scott accomplish in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
(a) Introducing the characters.
(b) Determine the plot.
(c) Setting the scene.
(d) Boring the reader.
14. Who is the second hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
(a) A writer.
(b) A golfer.
(c) A bus driver.
(d) A zookeeper.
15. In the People section, Forster says that novelists are appealing to more than our _________ when it comes to the characters of a novel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Forster says that Virginia Woolf is a what?
2. All writers, regardless of time period or subject matter, write because of what?
3. Forster surmises that the character Moll was born out the author's experience in _____________.
4. The critic Norman Douglas writes an open letter to which author?
5. Forster says novelists find death to be ____________.
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)