|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What novel does Forster refer to as his eternal summer?
(a) The Old Wives' Tale.
(b) The Antiquary.
(c) War and Peace.
(d) The Swiss Family Robinson.
2. What does Forster believe a good novel is "sogged with"?
3. Forster's third set of excerpts in the Introduction are from Virgina Woolf and _______________.
(a) Laurence Sterne.
(b) Sir Walter Scott.
(c) Samuel Richardson.
(d) Henry James.
4. The critic Norman Douglas writes an open letter to which author?
(a) D.H. Lawrence.
(b) Leo Tolstoy.
(c) Charles Dickens.
(d) Lawrence Sterne.
5. What is the name of the Jane Austen character that Forster uses to illustrate "life like" aspects of characters?
(a) Mr. Baker.
(b) Elizabeth Bennet.
(c) Miss Bates.
(d) Mrs. Bennet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the book written by critic Percy Lubbock?
2. What does Scott accomplish in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
3. Who does Forster say saved his life by telling good stories?
4. In which novel does Forster say that the author bounces the reader around characters?
5. Forster believes daily life is made up of time and ___________.
This section contains 208 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)