|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Forster says characters are full of the spirit of what?
2. Who tries to abolish time in a novel according to Forster?
(a) Sir Walter Scott.
(b) Gertrude Stein.
(c) Leo Tolstoy.
(d) Marcel Proust.
3. What is the highest common factor to all novels?
(a) The theme.
(b) The plot.
(c) The story.
(d) The character.
4. Who is the Antiquary in Scott's novel?
(a) Edie Ochiltree.
(b) Miss Grizzle.
(d) Jonathon Oldbuck.
5. What does Forster say it is impossible to study about literature?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
2. Fictional characters come into the world more like what than human beings?
3. What does Forster call characters like Miss Grizzle in The Antiquary?
4. Forster considers what to be the enemy when studying literature?
5. According to Forster, what is the final test of a novel?
This section contains 181 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)