|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Forster say he would answer the question, "What does a novel do?"
2. Characters must not spread themselves out too far, but rather should ____________.
(a) Exercise mutual restraint.
(b) Eat, drink, and be merry.
(c) Be consistent.
(d) Think small.
3. Forster believes daily life is made up of time and ___________.
4. Characters _______ daily life, not coincide with it.
5. Which author has numerous flat characters who can express themselves in a single sentence?
Short Answer Questions
1. Forster discusses the motto "_______ develops, Art stands still" in the introductory section.
2. What is the name of the book written by critic Percy Lubbock?
3. Considering literature on the basis of time periods is the act of the ________________.
4. Forster believes the truest way to look at a novel is by examining the author's what?
5. Forster's third set of excerpts in the Introduction are from Virgina Woolf and _______________.
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)