|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Forster considers a novel to be any fictitious prose over __________ words.
2. What novel does Forster refer to as his eternal summer?
(a) War and Peace.
(b) The Swiss Family Robinson.
(c) The Old Wives' Tale.
(d) The Antiquary.
3. The purpose of food in fiction is mostly a ____________ one.
4. Forster's third set of excerpts in the Introduction are from Virgina Woolf and _______________.
(a) Laurence Sterne.
(b) Samuel Richardson.
(c) Henry James.
(d) Sir Walter Scott.
5. Which author does Forster say is a genius with characters who are caricatures?
Short Answer Questions
1. Considering literature on the basis of time periods is the act of the ________________.
2. Who is the second hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
3. Forster discusses the death of the character Mrs.Proudie in a novel by whom?
4. Novelists unintentionally make their characters overly sensitive to what?
5. Characters _______ daily life, not coincide with it.
This section contains 172 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)