|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The historian ______________, while the novelist creates.
2. What does Forster believe a good novel is "sogged with"?
3. Who does Forster say is the real hero of The Old Wives' Tale?
4. Who tries to abolish time in a novel according to Forster?
(a) Gertrude Stein.
(b) Marcel Proust.
(c) Sir Walter Scott.
(d) Leo Tolstoy.
5. What does Scott accomplish in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
(a) Determine the plot.
(b) Setting the scene.
(c) Introducing the characters.
(d) Boring the reader.
Short Answer Questions
1. To be a true critic of literature, one must do what?
2. In the People section, Forster says that novelists are appealing to more than our _________ when it comes to the characters of a novel.
3. According to Forster, the story is the ___________ of a voice in the novel.
4. A novel that does not include an aspect of time is _____________.
5. Forster considers a novel to be any fictitious prose over __________ words.
This section contains 169 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)