|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the young man in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
2. According to Forster, the story is the ___________ of a voice in the novel.
3. According to Forster, what is the final test of a novel?
(a) Our affection for it.
(b) Time it is published.
(c) Critical acclaim.
(d) Financial gains of the author.
4. What subject do the excerpts of H.G. Wells and Charles Dickens that Forster compares in the Introduction both describe?
5. What is the only literary tool to have an effect on tyrants and savages?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the highest common factor to all novels?
2. Which characters in The Antiquary does Forster say Scott introduced artlessly?
3. What does Scott accomplish in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
4. Forster's third set of excerpts in the Introduction are from Virgina Woolf and _______________.
5. Who does Forster say saved his life by telling good stories?
This section contains 200 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)