|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the second hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
(a) A writer.
(b) A bus driver.
(c) A zookeeper.
(d) A golfer.
2. What is the silliest way Forster believes there is to classify novels?
(a) Time period.
(b) Author's names.
(c) Subject matter.
3. What does Scott accomplish in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
(a) Introducing the characters.
(b) Setting the scene.
(c) Boring the reader.
(d) Determine the plot.
4. How does Forster say he would answer the question, "What does a novel do?"
5. What is the name of the young man in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year does E.M. Forster present his lecture series, Aspects of the Novel?
2. Which novel does Forster say has a sense of space?
3. To be a true critic of literature, one must do what?
4. What is the only literary tool to have an effect on tyrants and savages?
5. Forster contends that while The Antiquary has suspense, it lacks what?
This section contains 188 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)