|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Forster says he is not analyzing The Antiquary, but rather _____________ it.
2. Forster compares the story as the _________ of the novel.
3. Who tries to abolish time in a novel according to Forster?
(a) Gertrude Stein.
(b) Leo Tolstoy.
(c) Marcel Proust.
(d) Sir Walter Scott.
4. Forster believes the truest way to look at a novel is by examining the author's what?
5. Forster's third set of excerpts in the Introduction are from Virgina Woolf and _______________.
(a) Samuel Richardson.
(b) Sir Walter Scott.
(c) Henry James.
(d) Laurence Sterne.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scott accomplish in the first sentence of The Antiquary?
2. Which novel does Forster say has a sense of space?
3. Who is the second hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
4. Who does Forster say is the real hero of The Old Wives' Tale?
5. In what year does E.M. Forster present his lecture series, Aspects of the Novel?
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)