|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which author has numerous flat characters who can express themselves in a single sentence?
2. Forster says he is not analyzing The Antiquary, but rather _____________ it.
3. Forster's third set of excerpts in the Introduction are from Virgina Woolf and _______________.
(a) Samuel Richardson.
(b) Sir Walter Scott.
(c) Laurence Sterne.
(d) Henry James.
4. What is the highest common factor to all novels?
(a) The character.
(b) The theme.
(c) The story.
(d) The plot.
5. The critic Norman Douglas writes an open letter to which author?
(a) D.H. Lawrence.
(b) Lawrence Sterne.
(c) Leo Tolstoy.
(d) Charles Dickens.
Short Answer Questions
1. The novel Thais is in the pattern of what?
2. The historian ______________, while the novelist creates.
3. A plot requires a reader's intelligence and __________.
4. What does Forster say is absolutely essential to a plot?
5. Forster contends that Henry James has two kinds of main characters, the observer and the ________.
This section contains 163 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)