|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tries to abolish time in a novel according to Forster?
(a) Sir Walter Scott.
(b) Leo Tolstoy.
(c) Gertrude Stein.
(d) Marcel Proust.
2. Forster's third set of excerpts in the Introduction are from Virgina Woolf and _______________.
(a) Henry James.
(b) Samuel Richardson.
(c) Laurence Sterne.
(d) Sir Walter Scott.
3. What does Forster say is absolutely essential to a plot?
4. Works that deal with real people are called what?
5. What does Forster call the small gods that he says haunt us today?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Forster use as an example of something all humans have that rarely gets mentioned in novels?
2. Who is the author of The Brothers Karamazov?
3. Which author does Forster refer to when talking about the chaos that prophecy can bring to a novel?
4. What is the name of the popular text William George Clark wrote?
5. Forster wonders if there is any rhythm in novels comparable to ____________.
This section contains 191 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)