|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Forster call characters like Miss Grizzle in The Antiquary?
(a) Annoying bits.
(b) Pointless blobs.
(c) Ragged ends.
(d) Clever ploys.
2. Forster considers a novel to be any fictitious prose over __________ words.
3. In the introductory section, Forster quotes from whom to describe the duties of the critic?
(a) T. S. Elliot.
(b) William George Clark.
(c) C.S. Lewis.
(d) Sir Walter Scott.
4. According to Forster, the story is the ___________ of a voice in the novel.
5. Forster discusses the motto "_______ develops, Art stands still" in the introductory section.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the second hypothetical person to whom Forster poses the question, "What does a novel do?"
2. In The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders, the character is _____________.
3. Who does Forster say is the real hero of The Old Wives' Tale?
4. What does Forster use as an example of something all humans have that rarely gets mentioned in novels?
5. Birth and death are the what of the five facts of human life?
This section contains 186 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)