|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the highest common factor to all novels?
(a) The character.
(b) The story.
(c) The plot.
(d) The theme.
2. What is the name of the Jane Austen character that Forster uses to illustrate "life like" aspects of characters?
(a) Elizabeth Bennet.
(b) Miss Bates.
(c) Mr. Baker.
(d) Mrs. Bennet.
3. According to Forster, what is the final test of a novel?
(a) Time it is published.
(b) Critical acclaim.
(c) Our affection for it.
(d) Financial gains of the author.
4. As Forster begins the second section on People, he says that he turns from transplantation of characters to what?
5. When comparing plot and drama, Forster visualizes plot as what?
(a) Lowly paid worker.
(b) Higher government official.
(c) Queen of England.
(d) Grand Dame.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Forster's opinion, what is the key failing of English fiction?
2. In what year does E.M. Forster present his lecture series, Aspects of the Novel?
3. Forster considers a novel to be any fictitious prose over __________ words.
4. Characters _______ daily life, not coincide with it.
5. What is the thing a novelist should never aim for, but fails if this is not achieved?
This section contains 187 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)