|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anse’s new wife carrying as she approaches the wagon in Chapter 59: “Cash”?
2. Who does Reverend Whitfield imagine going to confess his sin to in Chapter 41: “Whitfield”?
3. What does Vardaman ask Darl about the buzzards in Chapter 47: “Vardaman”?
4. Of the men who accompany Darl on the train in Chapter 57: “Darl,” says they are riding on the state’s money which is referred to as what?
5. Who comes up with a plan that compromises the other two plans in Chapter 34: “Darl”?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cash react to his pain and injuries in Chapter 44: “Vardaman”? Where does the family stop for medicine?
2. What actions does Reverend Whitfield commit in Chapter 41: “Whitfield”? Why?
3. What conflict almost arises in Chapter 52: “Darl”? Why?
4. What thoughts occupy Anse Bundren as the family travels in the wagon in Chapter 28: “Anse”?
5. How is Jewel’s arrival described from Darl’s perspective in Chapter 27: “Darl”?
6. How are the animals saved from the fire in Chapter 50: “Darl”?
7. What is foreshadowed through Cora and Addie’s conversation in Chapter 39: “Cora”?
8. What are Vernon Tull’s impressions as they cross the river in Chapter 33: “Tull”?
9. How is Anse Bundren’s selfishness illustrated in Chapter 43: “Armstid”?
10. How does Dr. Peabody react to Cash’s injury in Chapter 54: “Peabody”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Addie Bundren in As I Lay Dying. Why do you think that the author chooses to include a chapter with Addie's first-person perspective? What does the reader learn about Addie in this chapter? What does the reader learn about Addie through the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Dewey Dell Bundren. How old is Dewey Dell? What qualities stand out the most in her character? How does Dewey Dell differ from the other members of her family?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the plot structure of As I Lay Dying. Where in the narrative are the exposition and rising action? Where does the climax occur? What is revealed in the falling action and denouement of the novel?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)