|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to the door at the drug store when Dewey Dell knocks in Chapter 56: “Vardaman”?
2. Where does Addie tell Anse she has family in Chapter 40: “Addie”?
3. What is the name of the counter boy at the pharmacy in Chapter 55: “MacGowan”?
4. Vardaman gets up from the pallet to see about what in Chapter 49: “Vardaman”?
5. What are Dewey Dell and Vardaman eating in the wagon in Chapter 59: “Cash”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestions are made for crossing the river in Chapter 31: “Tull”? How are the suggestions received?
2. How does Cash react to his pain and injuries in Chapter 44: “Vardaman”? Where does the family stop for medicine?
3. What does Vardaman think about the setting and situation in Chapter 56: “Vardaman”?
4. What is foreshadowed through Anse’s actions in Chapter 53: “Cash”?
5. How do Jewel and Cash Bundren differ in their approach to the problem in Chapter 34: “Darl”?
6. What symbolism can be seen in Jewel Bundren’s actions in Chapter 36: “Tull”?
7. What is significant about Cash Bundren’s mindset and concerns after the accident in Chapter 37: “Darl”?
8. What does Darl recall as the reason Jewel had been unable to stay awake when he was 15 years old in Chapter 32: “Darl”?
9. How does Dr. Peabody react to Cash’s injury in Chapter 54: “Peabody”?
10. How is Cash’s condition described in Chapter 42: “Darl”? Where is the Bundren family going in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of family in the novel. How do the Bundren family members feel about one another? What is the “glue” that holds the family together? How do the family relationships change in the course of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of loss and grief in As I Lay Dying. How does the author explore these themes through symbolism and imagery? How are these themes illustrated through character and setting?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of symbolism and imagery in As I Lay Dying. What are some of the predominant symbols in the novel? What do they represent? What characters in the story have symbolic significance? How?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)