|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Addie tell Anse she has family in Chapter 40: “Addie”?
2. Where do the Bundrens stay at the home where they take Cash in Chapter 42: “Darl”?
3. Who does Vardaman find on Addie’s coffin, crying, in Chapter 51: “Vardaman”?
4. What word from Chapter 27: "Darl" means denying the validity or truth of something?
5. Which of the Bundren children is Reverend Whitfield the father to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Samson’s opinion of Anse Bundren in Chapter 29: “Samson”? What does Samson offer the family?
2. What are Vernon Tull’s impressions as they cross the river in Chapter 33: “Tull”?
3. What happens between Dewey Dell Bundren and MacGowan in Chapter 55: “MacGowan”?
4. How is Anse Bundren’s selfishness illustrated in Chapter 43: “Armstid”?
5. What does Darl discuss in Chapter 57: “Darl”? What is symbolized through this monologue?
6. What conflict almost arises in Chapter 52: “Darl”? Why?
7. What is indicated by Darl’s question to Jewel in Chapter 48: “Darl”? How does Jewel respond?
8. How is the timeline of the Bundren children described in Chapter 40: “Addie”?
9. What actions does Reverend Whitfield commit in Chapter 41: “Whitfield”? Why?
10. What is foreshadowed through Cora and Addie’s conversation in Chapter 39: “Cora”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Addie's death and its impact on the Bundren household. How does each of Addie's children cope with her death? How does Addie's death impact Anse? How does it affect Cora and Tull?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact and symbolism of the barn fire in the narrative. What causes the fire? How is this obstacle overcome by those affected by the fire? How are the animals saved?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of identity in As I Lay Dying. How does this theme relate to Darl, Jewel, and Cash? How does this theme connect to Dewey Dell? How does it relate to Anse Bundren?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)