|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes to the Bundren's wagon to tell them about the bridge in Chapter 29: “Samson”?
2. Who is afraid to make the return trip after crossing the remains of the bridge in Chapter 33: “Tull”?
3. Dr. Peabody says in Chapter 54: “Peabody” that he can see how a man in a tight spot might let who patch him up?
4. Who does Vardaman find on Addie’s coffin, crying, in Chapter 51: “Vardaman”?
5. What is used to break the cast off Cash’s leg in Chapter 51: “Vardaman”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed through Cora and Addie’s conversation in Chapter 39: “Cora”?
2. What implications do you discern from Anse’s introduction of his children to “Mrs. Bundren” in Chapter 59: “Cash”?
3. How is Anse Bundren’s selfishness illustrated in Chapter 43: “Armstid”?
4. What question does Vardaman pose to Darl in Chapter 47: “Vardaman”?
5. What suggestions are made for crossing the river in Chapter 31: “Tull”? How are the suggestions received?
6. How does Dewey Dell lose her money to Anse Bundren in Chapter 58: “Dewey Dell”?
7. What are Vernon Tull’s impressions as they cross the river in Chapter 33: “Tull”?
8. How do Jewel and Cash Bundren differ in their approach to the problem in Chapter 34: “Darl”?
9. How is the timeline of the Bundren children described in Chapter 40: “Addie”?
10. How does Dr. Peabody react to Cash’s injury in Chapter 54: “Peabody”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of symbolism and imagery in As I Lay Dying. What are some of the predominant symbols in the novel? What do they represent? What characters in the story have symbolic significance? How?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Darl Bundren in As I Lay Dying. How old is Darl? What are the notable qualities of Darl's personality? What happens to Darl in the course of the narrative?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the genre of As I Lay Dying. Why is William Faulkner known for this genre? What are the qualities of the genre? What are examples in the text of each?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)