|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cash complain that the coffin will not do in Chapter 22: "Cash"?
2. Whose raincoat is offered to Cash while he works on the coffin in Chapter 17: "Darl"?
3. Who advised Cora to get a good breed of chickens in Chapter 2: "Cora"?
4. Whose coffin is being constructed in Chapter 1: "Darl"?
5. Who does Cora say "admits that a good breed of cows or hogs pays in the long run" in Chapter 2: "Cora"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "luck" mean to Anse Bundren?
2. What sentence comprises Chapter 19: “Vardaman”? What is the meaning behind this chapter?
3. What is significant about Vardaman’s assessment of his mother in Chapter 15: “Vardaman”?
4. How is Anse Bundren characterized in Chapter 5: “Darl”? How does Jewel differ from his father?
5. Who is Lafe and what is his role in the novel?
6. What is indicated by Kate Tull’s concern about the cakes that don’t sell in Chapter 2: “Cora”?
7. What is indicated by Cash’s detailed list in Chapter 18: “Cash”?
8. What is indicated by Anse Bundren’s behavior after Addie’s death in Chapter 12: “Darl”?
9. How would you describe Jewel Bundren’s actions in carrying the coffin in Chapter 23: “Darl”?
10. How is Cora Tull characterized as a narrator in Chapter 6: “Cora”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the unique narrative style in As I Lay Dying. What characters are also narrators in the novel? Why do you think the author employs different narrators? Are any narrators more reliable than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Addie's death and its impact on the Bundren household. How does each of Addie's children cope with her death? How does Addie's death impact Anse? How does it affect Cora and Tull?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Tull and Cora in the novel. What are Tull and Cora's relationship to the Bundrens? In what ways do the Tulls assist the Bundrens when Addie becomes ill?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)