|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who repeatedly spits into the dust in Chapter 5: "Darl"?
2. Where is the wagon when Darl begins laughing in Chapter 25: "Darl"?
3. What animals does Vardaman attack in Chapter 13: "Vardaman"?
4. Who advised Cora to get a good breed of chickens in Chapter 2: "Cora"?
5. With whom does Darl return from the fields in Chapter 1: "Darl"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Peabody feel about his objective at the Bundren residence in Chapter 11: “Peabody”?
2. What is significant about Vardaman’s assessment of his mother in Chapter 15: “Vardaman”?
3. What is indicated by Anse Bundren’s behavior after Addie’s death in Chapter 12: “Darl”?
4. Why does Anse Bundren complain about Jewel in Chapter 26: “Anse”? How does Darl respond when he sees Jewel?
5. How would you describe Jewel Bundren’s actions in carrying the coffin in Chapter 23: “Darl”?
6. What conversation are Vernon Tull and Anse Bundren engaged in, in the beginning of Chapter 8: “Tull”?
7. What does Vardaman do after fleeing the house in Chapter 13: “Vardaman”?
8. What is indicated by Cash’s detailed list in Chapter 18: “Cash”?
9. What sentence comprises Chapter 19: “Vardaman”? What is the meaning behind this chapter?
10. What is indicated by Darl’s assessments of his mother Chapter 21: “Darl”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the unique narrative style in As I Lay Dying. What characters are also narrators in the novel? Why do you think the author employs different narrators? Are any narrators more reliable than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Addie Bundren in As I Lay Dying. Why do you think that the author chooses to include a chapter with Addie's first-person perspective? What does the reader learn about Addie in this chapter? What does the reader learn about Addie through the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Tull and Cora in the novel. What are Tull and Cora's relationship to the Bundrens? In what ways do the Tulls assist the Bundrens when Addie becomes ill?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)