|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tull compare a man's brain with in Chapter 16: "Tull"?
2. How long does Peabody say it's been since Anse was in town in Chapter 11: "Peabody"?
3. How much of the time does Cash say people are generally upright in a house in Chapter 18: "Cash"?
4. What does Vardaman ask Cash if he is going to do with the coffin in Chapter 15: Vardaman"?
5. Who begins to fall behind when carrying the casket in Chapter 23: "Darl"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the narrative style of As I Lay Dying? Who is introduced in Chapter 1: “Darl”?
2. What does Vardaman do after fleeing the house in Chapter 13: “Vardaman”?
3. What is Tull's relationship to the Bundrens? What role does he play in the story?
4. What sentence comprises Chapter 19: “Vardaman”? What is the meaning behind this chapter?
5. What does Jewel do when he family departs in Chapter 25: “Darl”? Why?
6. What are the individual agendas of the Bundren family members as they prepare to depart for their journey in Chapter 24: “Vardaman”?
7. What conversation are Vernon Tull and Anse Bundren engaged in, in the beginning of Chapter 8: “Tull”?
8. How are Cash Bundren’s feelings for his father illustrated through his actions in Chapter 17: “Darl”?
9. What is foreshadowed in Chapter 20: “Tull”?
10. How would you describe Jewel Bundren’s actions in carrying the coffin in Chapter 23: “Darl”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are each of the characters in the novel illustrated through the language that they use? How does the style of language differ among the narrators? How is the dialogue different from the direct narration?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of As I Lay Dying. Why is William Faulkner known for this genre? What are the qualities of the genre? What are examples in the text of each?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Addie's death and its impact on the Bundren household. How does each of Addie's children cope with her death? How does Addie's death impact Anse? How does it affect Cora and Tull?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)