|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is driving the wagon in Chapter 25: "Darl"?
2. Who repeatedly spits into the dust in Chapter 5: "Darl"?
3. How far away does Tull say New Hope is in Chapter 8: "Tull"?
4. What does Dewey Dell say she is taking to town in a package in Chapter 24: "Vardaman"?
5. Who does Tull describe as standing like a scarecrow in Chapter 16: "Tull"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is indicated by Darl’s assessments of his mother Chapter 21: “Darl”?
2. What question does Darl pose to Jewel in Chapter 10: “Darl”? How does Jewel respond?
3. Who is Lafe and what is his role in the novel?
4. What makes Darl Bundren unique as a narrator in As I Lay Dying?
5. What is indicated by Anse Bundren’s behavior after Addie’s death in Chapter 12: “Darl”?
6. What are the individual agendas of the Bundren family members as they prepare to depart for their journey in Chapter 24: “Vardaman”?
7. What is indicated by Cash’s detailed list in Chapter 18: “Cash”?
8. What is the narrative style of As I Lay Dying? Who is introduced in Chapter 1: “Darl”?
9. What actions and events comprise Chapter 22: “Cash”? How does the chapter end?
10. How does Peabody feel about his objective at the Bundren residence in Chapter 11: “Peabody”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of symbolism and imagery in As I Lay Dying. What are some of the predominant symbols in the novel? What do they represent? What characters in the story have symbolic significance? How?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the unique narrative style in As I Lay Dying. What characters are also narrators in the novel? Why do you think the author employs different narrators? Are any narrators more reliable than others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the character of Darl Bundren in As I Lay Dying. How old is Darl? What are the notable qualities of Darl's personality? What happens to Darl in the course of the narrative?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)