|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the family perceive that Cash is safe in Chapter 37: “Darl”?
(a) Because it is the same leg that was previously broken.
(b) Because he only sprained a wrist.
(c) Because he is overcoming his dehydration.
(d) Because he no longer owes everyone money.
2. Darl claims in Chapter 57: “Darl” that a nickel has a woman on one side and what on the other?
(a) A buffalo.
(b) A salmon.
(c) A dime.
(d) A quarter.
3. Whose money does Dewey Dell say the $10 was in Chapter 58: “Dewey Dell”?
4. How many people does Samson describe on the wagon in Chapter 29: “Samson”?
5. Whose house do the Bundrens arrive at in Chapter 42: “Darl”?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sleeps on the pallet with Vardaman in Chapter 49: “Vardaman”?
2. Who walks across the remains of the bridge as the others prepare to take the wagon across the ford in Chapter 33: “Tull”?
3. Whose barn are the Bundrens preparing to spend the night at in Chapter 48: “Darl”?
4. What word from Chapter 27: "Darl" means denying the validity or truth of something?
5. Which of Addie's children was born as a result of an affair she had?
Short Essay Questions
1. What implications do you discern from Anse’s introduction of his children to “Mrs. Bundren” in Chapter 59: “Cash”?
2. What symbolism can be seen in Jewel Bundren’s actions in Chapter 36: “Tull”?
3. What actions does Reverend Whitfield commit in Chapter 41: “Whitfield”? Why?
4. How is the timeline of the Bundren children described in Chapter 40: “Addie”?
5. How do Jewel and Cash Bundren differ in their approach to the problem in Chapter 34: “Darl”?
6. How does Dewey Dell lose her money to Anse Bundren in Chapter 58: “Dewey Dell”?
7. How does Cash react to his pain and injuries in Chapter 44: “Vardaman”? Where does the family stop for medicine?
8. What happens between Dewey Dell Bundren and MacGowan in Chapter 55: “MacGowan”?
9. What is foreshadowed through Cora and Addie’s conversation in Chapter 39: “Cora”?
10. How is Jewel’s arrival described from Darl’s perspective in Chapter 27: “Darl”?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)