|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Akiba and Elisha not speak when they meet?
2. What fate does Elisha accept?
3. How are over thirty rabbis able to meet in the attic of a friend in Lydda?
4. What has Demonax studied all available information on for years and found nothing to use?
5. Why do Manto and Elisha always have a third person with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Meir choosing to not walk with Elisha past the boundary where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath?
2. Where does Elisha go during the blizzard, and why?
3. Why does Akiba refuse to speak to Elisha when they see each other on the road?
4. Why do Elisha and Manto hide their mutual love from Rufus, Manto's benefactor?
5. Was it wise for Elisha to pursue truth regardless of the consequences?
6. What did the people of Bethar choose to do rather than face Roman slavery and torture?
7. Why did Charicles not want to speak with Elisha at first?
8. Why does Elisha decide not to reveal the names of the new rabbis to Rufus?
9. What did Manto make Elisha vow to do, as she lay dying in his arms?
10. Why does Demonax refuse to take on Elisha as a student, and what consolation does he offer to Elisha?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elisha proposes to Manto because he loves her. However, Manto rejects Elisha's offer of marriage. Is Manto right to not leave her lifestyle for Elisha? Is Elisha being too selfish and asking too much of Manto, or do you think Manto's love isn't strong enough? Argue for or against Manto's decision. Support your argument with three solid reasons and use material from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In As a Driven Leaf, Deborah and Elisha are betrothed according to Jewish tradition. What similarities is their marriage based on? Find other couples and marriages in the book. What similarities are their relationships based on? Compare and contrast at least two relationships. Support your examples with material from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the contrast between the decision of the people of Bethar and the decision of Elisha when faced with Roman persecution. Why did the people of Bethar choose to commit mass suicide? Who made the wiser choice, the people of Bethar or Elisha? Define wisdom according to the principles of Elisha and the town of Bethar.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)