|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meir tell Elisha about what the Sanhedrin has done?
2. What do the rabbis talk about during their meeting, other than keeping the faith alive and ordaining new rabbis?
3. What causes Charicles to change his mind about Elisha?
4. Where does Elisha go to escape the cold of the blizzard?
5. What does Rufus do when he realizes Elisha has tried to deceive him?
Essay Topic 1
Prejudice is a dangerous problem throughout As a Driven Leaf. Why do the Roman soldiers tease the boys, Pappas and Elisha, about being Jews? Were the Roman soldiers' behaviors unfair or fair? More importantly, are prejudices built into culture, or do they change with every generation? Discuss at least two accounts of prejudice described in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The grand thematic struggle is between faith and reason and mostly exemplified by Elisha's character. Can faith and reason work together or are they fundamentally different principles? Discuss how Elisha is affected by the struggle between choosing faith and reason. Provide two examples of the conflict between faith and reason found in the book.
Essay Topic 3
The Jewish community is generally mistrustful of the Romans. When Shraga and Elisha are working on the court case for the merchant, what does the merchant decide to do, and why? Why did the merchant's business suffer when he took his case to the Roman court? Describe the relationship between the Jewish community and the individual. What pressures and responsibilities do the Jewish members have to their community?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)