|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meir tell Elisha about what the Sanhedrin has done?
2. What do the rabbis talk about during their meeting, other than keeping the faith alive and ordaining new rabbis?
3. What causes Charicles to change his mind about Elisha?
4. Where does Elisha go to escape the cold of the blizzard?
5. What does Rufus do when he realizes Elisha has tried to deceive him?
Essay Topic 1
Within As a Driven Leaf, a lot of promises are made and broken. Choose a side and argue whether or not promises should ever be broken. Cite three examples from the book that deal with promises to back up the argument.
Essay Topic 2
The Jews as a community are facing persecution by the Romans but also must deal with divisions within their own community. Is it important for the Jewish members to speak and act as one, or should multiple voices and opinions be heard? Should the Sanhedrin operate by unanimous decision or by majority rule? Can every voice be heard equally?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the contrast between the decision of the people of Bethar and the decision of Elisha when faced with Roman persecution. Why did the people of Bethar choose to commit mass suicide? Who made the wiser choice, the people of Bethar or Elisha? Define wisdom according to the principles of Elisha and the town of Bethar.
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)