|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Elisha based his entire life and course of studies on?
2. Meir walks with Elisha until they reach the boundary which marks what?
3. What does Elisha say in response to Meir when Meir asks Elisha to come home with him?
4. What does Elisha feel shamed by?
5. Who brings Elisha the news that Manto is dying?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Charicles not want to speak with Elisha at first?
2. Why does Akiba refuse to speak to Elisha when they see each other on the road?
3. Was it wise for Elisha to pursue truth regardless of the consequences?
4. How do the Jews of Palestine react when they discover Judah was martyred?
5. As Elisha and Pappas travel back to Jerusalem, how does their hometown look?
6. Why does Charicles say that mathematics and science could also be myths?
7. While in jail, Akiba makes a prediction. What does Akiba predict?
8. How did Meir honor Elisha after Elisha died?
9. Why does Elisha decide not to reveal the names of the new rabbis to Rufus?
10. What is symbolic about Meir choosing to not walk with Elisha past the boundary where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Jews as a community are facing persecution by the Romans but also must deal with divisions within their own community. Is it important for the Jewish members to speak and act as one, or should multiple voices and opinions be heard? Should the Sanhedrin operate by unanimous decision or by majority rule? Can every voice be heard equally?
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice is a dangerous problem throughout As a Driven Leaf. Why do the Roman soldiers tease the boys, Pappas and Elisha, about being Jews? Were the Roman soldiers' behaviors unfair or fair? More importantly, are prejudices built into culture, or do they change with every generation? Discuss at least two accounts of prejudice described in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The Jewish community is generally mistrustful of the Romans. When Shraga and Elisha are working on the court case for the merchant, what does the merchant decide to do, and why? Why did the merchant's business suffer when he took his case to the Roman court? Describe the relationship between the Jewish community and the individual. What pressures and responsibilities do the Jewish members have to their community?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)