|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meir tell Elisha about what the Sanhedrin has done?
2. What do the rabbis talk about during their meeting, other than keeping the faith alive and ordaining new rabbis?
3. What causes Charicles to change his mind about Elisha?
4. Where does Elisha go to escape the cold of the blizzard?
5. What does Rufus do when he realizes Elisha has tried to deceive him?
Essay Topic 1
During Elisha's circumcision, Abuyah, Elisha's father, acts rudely toward the Jewish faith and custom. The congregation is incensed and two rabbis discuss whether or not Elisha will be affected by his father's actions. Does every soul create its own destiny like Rabbi Joshua believes? Or, is the other Rabbi who says Abuyah's actions will have an effect on Elisha, closer to the truth? What about the conclusion of the novel? Does Elisha's life seem to have been affected by his father's beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
The grand thematic struggle is between faith and reason and mostly exemplified by Elisha's character. Can faith and reason work together or are they fundamentally different principles? Discuss how Elisha is affected by the struggle between choosing faith and reason. Provide two examples of the conflict between faith and reason found in the book.
Essay Topic 3
When Elisha moves to Antioch, his whole lifestyle completely changes. How does Elisha handle his new life? Should he be more accepting or reserved concerning the Greek lifestyle he is being quickly caught up in? Contrast the community of Antioch with the Jewish community of Elisha's youth.
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)