|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages Elisha to publish his monograph?
2. How does Elisha try to deceive Rufus?
3. Who brings Elisha the news that Manto is dying?
4. What does Charicles say about Euclid?
5. Why has Akiba come to Antioch to raise money for war against the Romans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Demonax refuse to take on Elisha as a student, and what consolation does he offer to Elisha?
2. Why does Akiba refuse to speak to Elisha when they see each other on the road?
3. What happened to Elisha after he was forced to watch the rabbis be executed?
4. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
5. Rufus presents a life or death question to Pappas and Elisha. How does Elisha respond?
6. Why does Charicles say that mathematics and science could also be myths?
7. What did Manto make Elisha vow to do, as she lay dying in his arms?
8. Why do Elisha and Manto hide their mutual love from Rufus, Manto's benefactor?
9. While in jail, Akiba makes a prediction. What does Akiba predict?
10. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prejudice is a dangerous problem throughout As a Driven Leaf. Why do the Roman soldiers tease the boys, Pappas and Elisha, about being Jews? Were the Roman soldiers' behaviors unfair or fair? More importantly, are prejudices built into culture, or do they change with every generation? Discuss at least two accounts of prejudice described in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the contrast between the decision of the people of Bethar and the decision of Elisha when faced with Roman persecution. Why did the people of Bethar choose to commit mass suicide? Who made the wiser choice, the people of Bethar or Elisha? Define wisdom according to the principles of Elisha and the town of Bethar.
Essay Topic 3
Elisha quickly learns that with knowledge comes sadness. What other consequences, good or bad, can there be to learning and studying? Provide three examples for both the positive and negative sides.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)