|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do both Elisha and Pappas curtail their expenses and move to smaller apartments?
2. Where does Elisha go to escape the cold of the blizzard?
3. What is the result of Elisha and Pappas visit with Rufus to ask him to convince the Emperor to change his plans?
4. After 8 years in Antioch, Elisha writes a monograph detailing what?
5. Who encourages Elisha to publish his monograph?
Short Essay Questions
1. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
2. Why did Charicles not want to speak with Elisha at first?
3. Why does Charicles say that mathematics and science could also be myths?
4. Why does Akiba refuse to speak to Elisha when they see each other on the road?
5. Was it wise for Elisha to pursue truth regardless of the consequences?
6. What did Manto make Elisha vow to do, as she lay dying in his arms?
7. While in jail, Akiba makes a prediction. What does Akiba predict?
8. What happened to Elisha after he was forced to watch the rabbis be executed?
9. Why does Elisha decide not to reveal the names of the new rabbis to Rufus?
10. Why does the bloody spectacle not humor the Romans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Deborah does not treat others with much respect. She encourages Elisha to get rid of some servants because they are too old to work. Describe her behavior toward other people. Using Deborah as one example, defend or oppose the argument that respect should be deserved or earned. Cite at least two other examples from the book that draw on different characters to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Shraga and Elisha's characters. In what ways are they similar? How do they react to the Jewish tradition? Make sure to describe their mutual relationship and how this can illustrate their distinct similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 3
When Elisha moves to Antioch, his whole lifestyle completely changes. How does Elisha handle his new life? Should he be more accepting or reserved concerning the Greek lifestyle he is being quickly caught up in? Contrast the community of Antioch with the Jewish community of Elisha's youth.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)