|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who brings Elisha the news that Manto is dying?
2. Where does Elisha go to begin his work for the Romans?
3. As Elisha and Pappas travel back through the lands of their birth, what do they find has become of their homes?
4. What does the realization, that reason could be based in myth, do to Elisha?
5. Why do Akiba and Elisha not speak when they meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Jews of Palestine react when they discover Judah was martyred?
2. Where does Elisha go during the blizzard, and why?
3. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
4. While in jail, Akiba makes a prediction. What does Akiba predict?
5. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
6. Why does Elisha decide not to reveal the names of the new rabbis to Rufus?
7. As Elisha and Pappas travel back to Jerusalem, how does their hometown look?
8. What happened to Elisha after he was forced to watch the rabbis be executed?
9. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
10. Why does the bloody spectacle not humor the Romans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elisha sees a young boy climbing a tree for bird eggs. What happens to the little boy and how does it affect Elisha? Why does Elisha turn to the Jewish tradition for answers and why does it make him even more angry? Should faith account for all the evil and suffering in the world? Can bad things be explained away by faith or reason?
Essay Topic 2
Prejudice is a dangerous problem throughout As a Driven Leaf. Why do the Roman soldiers tease the boys, Pappas and Elisha, about being Jews? Were the Roman soldiers' behaviors unfair or fair? More importantly, are prejudices built into culture, or do they change with every generation? Discuss at least two accounts of prejudice described in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
After the ex-communication, Akiba randomly meets Elisha on the road. However, Akiba does not speak to Elisha because he is honoring the orders of the ex-communication. Is Akiba's behavior too drastic? Should the bonds of friendship be more important than the bonds of law? Cite three examples from the book when friendship and rules are at odds.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)