|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Demonax recommend that Elisha see Poleman?
2. Where has Rufus erected his headquarters?
3. What does Elisha realize about the peddlers as they sing their wares?
4. What did Meir fight for concerning Elisha's death?
5. What vow does Elisha make to Manto before she dies in his arms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Elisha and Manto hide their mutual love from Rufus, Manto's benefactor?
2. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
3. Was it wise for Elisha to pursue truth regardless of the consequences?
4. How do the Jews of Palestine react when they discover Judah was martyred?
5. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
6. While in jail, Akiba makes a prediction. What does Akiba predict?
7. Why do the rabbis have to meet in secret in the attic?
8. Where does Elisha go during the blizzard, and why?
9. Why does Akiba refuse to speak to Elisha when they see each other on the road?
10. What did the people of Bethar choose to do rather than face Roman slavery and torture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During Elisha's circumcision, Abuyah, Elisha's father, acts rudely toward the Jewish faith and custom. The congregation is incensed and two rabbis discuss whether or not Elisha will be affected by his father's actions. Does every soul create its own destiny like Rabbi Joshua believes? Or, is the other Rabbi who says Abuyah's actions will have an effect on Elisha, closer to the truth? What about the conclusion of the novel? Does Elisha's life seem to have been affected by his father's beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
After the ex-communication, Akiba randomly meets Elisha on the road. However, Akiba does not speak to Elisha because he is honoring the orders of the ex-communication. Is Akiba's behavior too drastic? Should the bonds of friendship be more important than the bonds of law? Cite three examples from the book when friendship and rules are at odds.
Essay Topic 3
Elisha proposes to Manto because he loves her. However, Manto rejects Elisha's offer of marriage. Is Manto right to not leave her lifestyle for Elisha? Is Elisha being too selfish and asking too much of Manto, or do you think Manto's love isn't strong enough? Argue for or against Manto's decision. Support your argument with three solid reasons and use material from the text.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)