|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Elisha's grave?
2. What happens to people who are caught practicing Jewish traditions and teachings?
3. How do the great sages go to their deaths?
4. After Elisha receives a letter of commendation from head of the museum in Alexandria, who does he rush to show the letter to?
5. How does Elisha feel about the Greek literature he has learned in his first three years in Antioch?
Essay Topic 1
Describe Pappas's journey through faith. Compare and contrast Pappas's journey with Elisha's journey of faith. How do both characters view the concepts of faith and reason? Why does Pappas make his final decision to die as a Jew rather than betray his faith and community?
Essay Topic 2
Elisha quickly learns that with knowledge comes sadness. What other consequences, good or bad, can there be to learning and studying? Provide three examples for both the positive and negative sides.
Essay Topic 3
Deborah does not treat others with much respect. She encourages Elisha to get rid of some servants because they are too old to work. Describe her behavior toward other people. Using Deborah as one example, defend or oppose the argument that respect should be deserved or earned. Cite at least two other examples from the book that draw on different characters to support your argument.
This section contains 1,348 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)