|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fate does Elisha accept?
(a) To question everything in his final moments.
(b) That he will never find the answers he is searching for.
(c) That he is a man without religion and without country.
(d) The fate of eternal damnation.
2. How can Elisha's life be described?
(a) As a life of fear and self-loathing.
(b) As one of controversy and dissent and of questioning and seeking truth.
(c) As a life of shame and embarrassment.
(d) As one of faith, honor, and dignity.
3. What causes Charicles to change his mind about Elisha?
(a) He hears Elisha speak.
(b) Charicles realizes that Elisha is a Rabbi.
(c) Charicles never changes his mind about Elisha.
(d) A Rabbi tells Charicles who Elisha is.
4. What happens to Elisha's grave?
(a) Elisha's grave is moved to Meir's town cemetery.
(b) The gravestone is removed.
(c) It is destroyed by Roman soldiers.
(d) Lightning strikes Elisha's grave.
5. Who does Elisha encounter on the road to Caesarea?
(a) Roman soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elisha realize about the peddlers as they sing their wares?
2. What is Elisha amazed to find even on death row?
3. What is Elisha's great undoing?
4. What does Elisha ask of Rufus in return for his cooperation?
5. What is the result of Elisha and Pappas visit with Rufus to ask him to convince the Emperor to change his plans?
Short Essay Questions
1. While in jail, Akiba makes a prediction. What does Akiba predict?
2. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
3. Why does Charicles say that mathematics and science could also be myths?
4. Why did Charicles not want to speak with Elisha at first?
5. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
6. Where does Elisha go during the blizzard, and why?
7. Why do Elisha and Manto hide their mutual love from Rufus, Manto's benefactor?
8. Why does Elisha decide not to reveal the names of the new rabbis to Rufus?
9. How do the Jews of Palestine react when they discover Judah was martyred?
10. What did Manto make Elisha vow to do, as she lay dying in his arms?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)