|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Demonax studied all available information on for years and found nothing to use?
(b) Greek literature.
(c) Business management.
2. What does Elisha feel shamed by?
(a) By the dedication of his fellow rabbis.
(b) By how the other rabbis beg for their lives.
(c) By the idea that he caused the Jewish faith to end forever.
(d) By having to sit next to a harlot at the executions.
3. What is Elisha's great undoing?
(a) His reasoned certainty that life is easy.
(b) His conversation with Charicles.
(c) His unwavering faith.
(d) His unwillingness to compromise his views.
4. How does Elisha feel about his quest to seek a reasoned certainty that would explain everything, including faith?
(a) Given the chance, he would not change anything.
(b) His quest has only strengthened his commitment to faith.
(c) His quest was a vital part of faith.
(d) His quest was in vain.
5. Where has Rufus erected his headquarters?
(a) The Sanhedrin.
(b) The arena.
(d) Temple Mount.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elisha look when he hears Charicles speak at Antioch?
2. Where is Elisha taken after the executions?
3. Where do Elisha and Pappas go to meet with Rufus?
4. How can Elisha's life be described?
5. After Elisha receives a letter of commendation from head of the museum in Alexandria, who does he rush to show the letter to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Akiba refuse to speak to Elisha when they see each other on the road?
2. Why does Charicles say that mathematics and science could also be myths?
3. Why does Elisha decide not to reveal the names of the new rabbis to Rufus?
4. Was it wise for Elisha to pursue truth regardless of the consequences?
5. What did Manto make Elisha vow to do, as she lay dying in his arms?
6. As Elisha and Pappas travel back to Jerusalem, how does their hometown look?
7. How did Meir honor Elisha after Elisha died?
8. Why do the rabbis have to meet in secret in the attic?
9. What happened to Elisha after he was forced to watch the rabbis be executed?
10. Why does the bloody spectacle not humor the Romans?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)