|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Meir see in his old master's eyes?
2. What do the rabbis talk about during their meeting, other than keeping the faith alive and ordaining new rabbis?
(a) The structure of Roman architecture.
(b) That Elisha has grown so wise and strong in his faith.
(c) That Elisha is helping the Romans.
(d) The weather.
3. Where does Elisha go to escape the cold of the blizzard?
(a) The library.
(b) The headquarters of Rufus.
(c) The Sanhedrin.
(d) The home of Pappas.
4. After Elisha receives a letter of commendation from head of the museum in Alexandria, who does he rush to show the letter to?
5. How are the conditions of the jail described to Elisha?
(b) Royal and plush.
(c) Fair conditions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charicles finally say about mathematics and science?
2. Why does Demonax recommend that Elisha see Poleman?
3. What fate does Elisha accept?
4. What task has Rabbi Judah ben Baba been chosen for during the meeting in the attic?
5. Who encourages Elisha to publish his monograph?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elisha decide not to reveal the names of the new rabbis to Rufus?
2. Why did Charicles not want to speak with Elisha at first?
3. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
4. Why do the rabbis have to meet in secret in the attic?
5. What happened to Elisha after he was forced to watch the rabbis be executed?
6. Why does Demonax refuse to take on Elisha as a student, and what consolation does he offer to Elisha?
7. What did the people of Bethar choose to do rather than face Roman slavery and torture?
8. How did Meir honor Elisha after Elisha died?
9. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
10. Where does Elisha go during the blizzard, and why?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)