|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people of Bethar do when they realize that the Romans will soon overrun their town?
(a) Surrender to the Romans.
(b) Celebrate and prepare a grand feast.
(c) Invite the Romans into town.
(d) Commit suicide.
2. What does Rufus want Elisha and Pappas to do?
(a) To send a message to Israel.
(b) To fight along side the Romans.
(c) To stay with him at his headquarters for their safety.
(d) To inform him about the Jews.
3. As Meir is weeping at Elisha's grave, how does Meir remember Elisha?
(a) With remorse and sympathy for his lost faith.
(b) With love and regret that Elisha's dreams had to die.
(c) With contempt and malice for his betrayal.
(d) As the old man who caused so much suffering.
4. Who does Elisha encounter on the road to Caesarea?
(b) Roman soldiers.
5. What is Elisha's great undoing?
(a) His conversation with Charicles.
(b) His unwavering faith.
(c) His unwillingness to compromise his views.
(d) His reasoned certainty that life is easy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elisha look when he hears Charicles speak at Antioch?
2. Meir walks with Elisha until they reach the boundary which marks what?
3. What vow does Elisha make to Manto before she dies in his arms?
4. What is the strength of the Jewish faith expected to outlast?
5. What happens to the new rabbis after Judah ben Baba ordains them?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Elisha and Pappas travel back to Jerusalem, how does their hometown look?
2. Why do the rabbis have to meet in secret in the attic?
3. What did the people of Bethar choose to do rather than face Roman slavery and torture?
4. What did Manto make Elisha vow to do, as she lay dying in his arms?
5. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
6. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
7. Why does the bloody spectacle not humor the Romans?
8. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
9. What is symbolic about Meir choosing to not walk with Elisha past the boundary where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath?
10. Why does Akiba refuse to speak to Elisha when they see each other on the road?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)