|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Manto and Elisha always have a third person with them?
(a) Manto is uncomfortable around Elisha.
(b) Manto and Rufus always go everywhere together.
(c) So that Rufus will not be concerned about their relationship.
(d) Rufus orders it for their protection.
2. What is the result of Elisha and Pappas visit with Rufus to ask him to convince the Emperor to change his plans?
(a) Rufus convinces the Emperor to change his plans.
(b) Rufus tries, but fails to convince the Emperor to change his plans.
(c) Rufus tells them that he can do nothing.
(d) Elisha insults Rufus.
3. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
(a) Faith and reason coexist and comingle.
(b) Faith is more important than reason.
(c) Faith is the nemesis of reason.
(d) Reason is more important than faith.
4. What does Elisha feel shamed by?
(a) By having to sit next to a harlot at the executions.
(b) By how the other rabbis beg for their lives.
(c) By the dedication of his fellow rabbis.
(d) By the idea that he caused the Jewish faith to end forever.
5. How do the great sages go to their deaths?
(a) While pleading for thier lives, and renouncing their religion.
(b) Knowing that they cannot save the Jewish faith.
(c) Cursing Elisha for his hand in their demise.
(d) With dignity, displaying their great faith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Meir walks with Elisha until they reach the boundary which marks what?
2. As Meir is weeping at Elisha's grave, how does Meir remember Elisha?
3. What fate does Elisha accept?
4. After Elisha receives a letter of commendation from head of the museum in Alexandria, who does he rush to show the letter to?
5. What does Elisha ask of Rufus in return for his cooperation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Meir choosing to not walk with Elisha past the boundary where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath?
2. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
3. Why does Charicles say that mathematics and science could also be myths?
4. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
5. How do the Jews of Palestine react when they discover Judah was martyred?
6. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
7. What did Manto make Elisha vow to do, as she lay dying in his arms?
8. How did Meir honor Elisha after Elisha died?
9. Why do the rabbis have to meet in secret in the attic?
10. Rufus presents a life or death question to Pappas and Elisha. How does Elisha respond?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)