|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Elisha find in prison?
(b) Joseph ben Sera.
2. As Elisha and Pappas travel back through the lands of their birth, what do they find has become of their homes?
(a) New families live there, and not much else has changed.
(b) They are no loger welcomed because no one knows them anymore.
(c) Roman soldiers now occupy them.
(d) They have been destroyed.
3. What happens after Judah ben Baba ordains the new rabbi at their secret meeting?
(a) Elisha talks with Judah ben Baba about logic and faith.
(b) Judah ben Baba flees to Morocco.
(c) The Romans find Judah ben Baba and kill him.
(d) The Persians attack Rome.
4. What vow does Elisha make to Manto before she dies in his arms?
(a) Nothing will stop him from completing his great project.
(b) He will find Rufus and aid him in his war efforts.
(c) He will tell Rufus she loves him.
(d) He will love her forever.
5. What has Elisha based his entire life and course of studies on?
(a) Greek and Roman literature.
(b) Jewish traditions and values.
(c) Business management.
(d) The fact of mathematics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What fate does Elisha accept?
2. What can Meir see in his old master's eyes?
3. After 8 years in Antioch, Elisha writes a monograph detailing what?
4. What happens to the new rabbis after Judah ben Baba ordains them?
5. Where does Elisha go to escape the cold of the blizzard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Was it wise for Elisha to pursue truth regardless of the consequences?
2. How did Meir honor Elisha after Elisha died?
3. Why do Elisha and Manto hide their mutual love from Rufus, Manto's benefactor?
4. Why did Charicles not want to speak with Elisha at first?
5. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
6. What happened to Elisha after he was forced to watch the rabbis be executed?
7. How do the Jews of Palestine react when they discover Judah was martyred?
8. What is symbolic about Meir choosing to not walk with Elisha past the boundary where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath?
9. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
10. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)