|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Elisha go to escape the cold of the blizzard?
(a) The Sanhedrin.
(b) The library.
(c) The home of Pappas.
(d) The headquarters of Rufus.
2. What does Meir tell Elisha about what the Sanhedrin has done?
(a) They revoked Elisha's miscommunication.
(b) The Sanhedrin has been disbanded.
(c) That the Sanhedrin is meeting again.
(d) They were destroyed by Romans.
3. What is Elisha's great undoing?
(a) His unwavering faith.
(b) His conversation with Charicles.
(c) His reasoned certainty that life is easy.
(d) His unwillingness to compromise his views.
4. As Elisha and Pappas travel back through the lands of their birth, what do they find has become of their homes?
(a) They are no loger welcomed because no one knows them anymore.
(b) Roman soldiers now occupy them.
(c) They have been destroyed.
(d) New families live there, and not much else has changed.
5. What does Elisha ask of Rufus in return for his cooperation?
(a) To not kill Pappas.
(b) To destroy the Sanhedrin.
(c) To stop the war.
(d) To forgive him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elisha amazed to find even on death row?
2. When does Elisha hear Charicles the philosopher speak at Antioch?
3. Who does Elisha encounter on the road to Caesarea?
4. After Elisha receives a letter of commendation from head of the museum in Alexandria, who does he rush to show the letter to?
5. Where does Elisha go to begin his work for the Romans?
Short Essay Questions
1. While in jail, Akiba makes a prediction. What does Akiba predict?
2. Why do Elisha and Manto hide their mutual love from Rufus, Manto's benefactor?
3. Was it wise for Elisha to pursue truth regardless of the consequences?
4. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
5. Rufus presents a life or death question to Pappas and Elisha. How does Elisha respond?
6. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
7. What did the people of Bethar choose to do rather than face Roman slavery and torture?
8. How do the Jews of Palestine react when they discover Judah was martyred?
9. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
10. Why does Elisha decide not to reveal the names of the new rabbis to Rufus?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)