|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Akiba and Elisha not speak when they meet?
(a) Akiba hates Elisha for what he did in Israel.
(b) Elisha is upset that Akiba did not stand by him in Israel.
(c) Akiba honors the commands of the ex-communication.
(d) Akiba and Elisha have no interest in each other.
2. What is the strength of the Jewish faith expected to outlast?
(a) The Jews who practice it.
(b) The war against the Jews.
(c) The paganism practiced by the Romans.
(d) The vast studies and wisdom of the Romans and Greeks.
3. Why do both Elisha and Pappas curtail their expenses and move to smaller apartments?
(a) The economy of the area is devastated because of the war.
(b) They are saving money to help the Jews war with the Romans.
(c) They are preparing for the harsh winter.
(d) They are trying to live more humble lives.
4. Where do Elisha and Pappas go to meet with Rufus?
(c) The Sanhedrin.
5. How does Charicles first feel about Elisha?
(a) He tries to avoid talking to him.
(b) Pity for Elisha's troubled life.
(c) He admires Elisha for his faith.
(d) Disgust for Elisha's reputation.
Short Answer Questions
1. After 8 years in Antioch, Elisha writes a monograph detailing what?
2. How does Elisha feel about the Greek literature he has learned in his first three years in Antioch?
3. What does Meir tell Elisha about what the Sanhedrin has done?
4. Meir walks with Elisha until they reach the boundary which marks what?
5. Why has Akiba come to Antioch to raise money for war against the Romans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the bloody spectacle not humor the Romans?
2. Why did Charicles not want to speak with Elisha at first?
3. What did Manto make Elisha vow to do, as she lay dying in his arms?
4. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
5. Was it wise for Elisha to pursue truth regardless of the consequences?
6. Why does Demonax refuse to take on Elisha as a student, and what consolation does he offer to Elisha?
7. While in jail, Akiba makes a prediction. What does Akiba predict?
8. Why does Charicles say that mathematics and science could also be myths?
9. Why do Elisha and Manto hide their mutual love from Rufus, Manto's benefactor?
10. As Elisha and Pappas travel back to Jerusalem, how does their hometown look?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)