|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elisha realize about the peddlers as they sing their wares?
(a) They love to sing lullabies.
(b) Peddlers are incoherent babblers.
(c) They will cheat everyone out of their money.
(d) Messages are being sent in Hebrew.
2. When does Elisha hear Charicles the philosopher speak at Antioch?
(a) Many years later.
(b) As soon as he returns to Antioch.
(c) Before leaving Antioch for the last time.
(d) During a festival.
3. What has Akiba predicted about the Roman Empire?
(a) The Roman Empire will destroy the Jewsish faith.
(b) The Roman Empire will change some day.
(c) The Roman Empire will someday fall.
(d) The Roman Empire will never fall.
4. What is Elisha's great undoing?
(a) His reasoned certainty that life is easy.
(b) His conversation with Charicles.
(c) His unwavering faith.
(d) His unwillingness to compromise his views.
5. Where do Elisha and Pappas go to meet with Rufus?
(b) The Sanhedrin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elisha look when he hears Charicles speak at Antioch?
2. How does Charicles first feel about Elisha?
3. What has Elisha based his entire life and course of studies on?
4. Who does Elisha encounter on the road to Caesarea?
5. What task has Rabbi Judah ben Baba been chosen for during the meeting in the attic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charicles say that mathematics and science could also be myths?
2. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
3. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
4. Why does Elisha decide not to reveal the names of the new rabbis to Rufus?
5. Why do Elisha and Manto hide their mutual love from Rufus, Manto's benefactor?
6. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
7. What did the people of Bethar choose to do rather than face Roman slavery and torture?
8. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
9. Rufus presents a life or death question to Pappas and Elisha. How does Elisha respond?
10. How did Meir honor Elisha after Elisha died?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)