|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Elisha and Pappas travel back through the lands of their birth, what do they find has become of their homes?
(a) Roman soldiers now occupy them.
(b) They are no loger welcomed because no one knows them anymore.
(c) They have been destroyed.
(d) New families live there, and not much else has changed.
2. Whose voice does Elisha recognize discussing cases in Jewish Law?
(d) Judah ben Sira's.
3. As Meir is weeping at Elisha's grave, how does Meir remember Elisha?
(a) As the old man who caused so much suffering.
(b) With contempt and malice for his betrayal.
(c) With love and regret that Elisha's dreams had to die.
(d) With remorse and sympathy for his lost faith.
4. What has Akiba predicted about the Roman Empire?
(a) The Roman Empire will never fall.
(b) The Roman Empire will change some day.
(c) The Roman Empire will destroy the Jewsish faith.
(d) The Roman Empire will someday fall.
5. What does Elisha feel shamed by?
(a) By the dedication of his fellow rabbis.
(b) By having to sit next to a harlot at the executions.
(c) By how the other rabbis beg for their lives.
(d) By the idea that he caused the Jewish faith to end forever.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elisha ask of Rufus in return for his cooperation?
2. What feeling does Elisha experiences after his conversation with Charicles?
3. Who does Elisha find in prison?
4. What does the realization, that reason could be based in myth, do to Elisha?
5. Why has Akiba come to Antioch to raise money for war against the Romans?
Short Essay Questions
1. While in jail, Akiba makes a prediction. What does Akiba predict?
2. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
3. Where does Elisha go during the blizzard, and why?
4. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
5. What did the people of Bethar choose to do rather than face Roman slavery and torture?
6. Why do the rabbis have to meet in secret in the attic?
7. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
8. Why did Charicles not want to speak with Elisha at first?
9. How did Meir honor Elisha after Elisha died?
10. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)