|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling does Elisha experiences after his conversation with Charicles?
(b) Great anger and jealousy at the popularity of Charicles.
(d) Overwhelming remorse at having influenced Charicles so negatively.
2. Where does Elisha go to escape the cold of the blizzard?
(a) The home of Pappas.
(b) The headquarters of Rufus.
(c) The library.
(d) The Sanhedrin.
3. What is Elisha amazed to find even on death row?
(a) The Jewish prisoners are on death row.
(b) The Roman soldiers treat the Jewish prisoners with dignity.
(c) The Rabbis have lost their faith.
(d) The Rabbis still believe the faith will survive.
4. What fate does Elisha accept?
(a) To question everything in his final moments.
(b) That he is a man without religion and without country.
(c) That he will never find the answers he is searching for.
(d) The fate of eternal damnation.
5. Why does Elisha arrange to meet with Demonax?
(a) To see if he will take Elisha on as a student.
(b) To arrest Demonax and take him to the proper authorities.
(c) To try and convert Demonax.
(d) To see if Demonax is as superior as he claims.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the great sages go to their deaths?
2. What does Meir tell Elisha about what the Sanhedrin has done?
3. Whose voice does Elisha recognize discussing cases in Jewish Law?
4. How are over thirty rabbis able to meet in the attic of a friend in Lydda?
5. What does Elisha realize about the peddlers as they sing their wares?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Elisha go during the blizzard, and why?
2. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
3. What is symbolic about Meir choosing to not walk with Elisha past the boundary where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath?
4. Why does Akiba refuse to speak to Elisha when they see each other on the road?
5. Why does the bloody spectacle not humor the Romans?
6. Why does Charicles say that mathematics and science could also be myths?
7. As Elisha and Pappas travel back to Jerusalem, how does their hometown look?
8. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
9. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
10. Rufus presents a life or death question to Pappas and Elisha. How does Elisha respond?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)