|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Elisha hear Charicles the philosopher speak at Antioch?
(a) Before leaving Antioch for the last time.
(b) As soon as he returns to Antioch.
(c) During a festival.
(d) Many years later.
2. Meir walks with Elisha until they reach the boundary which marks what?
(a) Where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath.
(b) The separation between Jews and Romans.
(c) The beginning of Roman territory.
(d) The entrance to Caesarea.
3. What is Elisha amazed to find even on death row?
(a) The Jewish prisoners are on death row.
(b) The Roman soldiers treat the Jewish prisoners with dignity.
(c) The Rabbis still believe the faith will survive.
(d) The Rabbis have lost their faith.
4. What fate does Elisha accept?
(a) That he will never find the answers he is searching for.
(b) That he is a man without religion and without country.
(c) To question everything in his final moments.
(d) The fate of eternal damnation.
5. What information about the new rabbis reaches Elisha in Caeserea?
(a) The new rabbi's names.
(b) The new rabbis are missing.
(c) He learns nothing about the new rabbis.
(d) The new rabbi's birthplaces.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elisha say in response to Meir when Meir asks Elisha to come home with him?
2. Why has Akiba come to Antioch to raise money for war against the Romans?
3. Where does Elisha go to begin his work for the Romans?
4. Who does Rufus say will sit with Elisha during the upcoming trials?
5. What do the people of Bethar do when they realize that the Romans will soon overrun their town?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the rabbis have to meet in secret in the attic?
2. What did Manto make Elisha vow to do, as she lay dying in his arms?
3. Rufus presents a life or death question to Pappas and Elisha. How does Elisha respond?
4. Why does Elisha decide not to reveal the names of the new rabbis to Rufus?
5. What did the people of Bethar choose to do rather than face Roman slavery and torture?
6. Why do Elisha and Manto hide their mutual love from Rufus, Manto's benefactor?
7. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
8. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
9. How do the Jews of Palestine react when they discover Judah was martyred?
10. Why does Charicles say that mathematics and science could also be myths?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)