|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Elisha receives a letter of commendation from head of the museum in Alexandria, who does he rush to show the letter to?
2. Why do Akiba and Elisha not speak when they meet?
(a) Akiba honors the commands of the ex-communication.
(b) Akiba hates Elisha for what he did in Israel.
(c) Elisha is upset that Akiba did not stand by him in Israel.
(d) Akiba and Elisha have no interest in each other.
3. What has Akiba predicted about the Roman Empire?
(a) The Roman Empire will someday fall.
(b) The Roman Empire will never fall.
(c) The Roman Empire will change some day.
(d) The Roman Empire will destroy the Jewsish faith.
4. What is Elisha's great undoing?
(a) His unwavering faith.
(b) His reasoned certainty that life is easy.
(c) His conversation with Charicles.
(d) His unwillingness to compromise his views.
5. What does Charicles say about Euclid?
(a) Euclid was correct beyond doubt.
(b) There are no proofs that Euclid was correct beyond doubt.
(c) He was the greatest mind of his time.
(d) Euclid should have been jailed for heresy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do both Elisha and Pappas curtail their expenses and move to smaller apartments?
2. What do the rabbis talk about during their meeting, other than keeping the faith alive and ordaining new rabbis?
3. Who brings Elisha the news that Manto is dying?
4. What happens to people who are caught practicing Jewish traditions and teachings?
5. How are the conditions of the jail described to Elisha?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Demonax refuse to take on Elisha as a student, and what consolation does he offer to Elisha?
2. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
3. Why does Charicles say that mathematics and science could also be myths?
4. Why does the bloody spectacle not humor the Romans?
5. Rufus presents a life or death question to Pappas and Elisha. How does Elisha respond?
6. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
7. How do the Jews of Palestine react when they discover Judah was martyred?
8. As Elisha and Pappas travel back to Jerusalem, how does their hometown look?
9. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
10. What did the people of Bethar choose to do rather than face Roman slavery and torture?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)