|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Elisha's grave?
(a) Elisha's grave is moved to Meir's town cemetery.
(b) It is destroyed by Roman soldiers.
(c) Lightning strikes Elisha's grave.
(d) The gravestone is removed.
2. What does Charicles say about Euclid?
(a) Euclid was correct beyond doubt.
(b) He was the greatest mind of his time.
(c) There are no proofs that Euclid was correct beyond doubt.
(d) Euclid should have been jailed for heresy.
3. Why does Demonax refuse Elisha's request?
(a) He is much too busy.
(b) He cannot teach Elisha anything that Elisha does not already know.
(c) He does not want to be associated with Elisha.
(d) Elisha's request is inappropriate.
4. What does Elisha feel shamed by?
(a) By having to sit next to a harlot at the executions.
(b) By the idea that he caused the Jewish faith to end forever.
(c) By how the other rabbis beg for their lives.
(d) By the dedication of his fellow rabbis.
5. Why has Akiba come to Antioch to raise money for war against the Romans?
(a) The Romans killed so many jews, and burned down the temple.
(b) He has joined the Jewish rebels.
(c) Because of the Emperor's plan to turn Israel into a site for pagans.
(d) The Emperor is dedicating the temple to Jupiter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Elisha taken after the executions?
2. Why does Elisha arrange to meet with Demonax?
3. What can Meir see in his old master's eyes?
4. What does Rufus do when he realizes Elisha has tried to deceive him?
5. What do the Roman reinforcements bring with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
2. Why does Charicles say that mathematics and science could also be myths?
3. What is symbolic about Meir choosing to not walk with Elisha past the boundary where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath?
4. Why did Charicles not want to speak with Elisha at first?
5. What did Manto make Elisha vow to do, as she lay dying in his arms?
6. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
7. Why does Elisha decide not to reveal the names of the new rabbis to Rufus?
8. How do the Jews of Palestine react when they discover Judah was martyred?
9. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
10. How did Meir honor Elisha after Elisha died?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)