|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Elisha encounter on the road to Caesarea?
(c) Roman soldiers.
2. What is the strength of the Jewish faith expected to outlast?
(a) The Jews who practice it.
(b) The vast studies and wisdom of the Romans and Greeks.
(c) The paganism practiced by the Romans.
(d) The war against the Jews.
3. What causes Charicles to change his mind about Elisha?
(a) Charicles realizes that Elisha is a Rabbi.
(b) A Rabbi tells Charicles who Elisha is.
(c) He hears Elisha speak.
(d) Charicles never changes his mind about Elisha.
4. How do the great sages go to their deaths?
(a) With dignity, displaying their great faith.
(b) While pleading for thier lives, and renouncing their religion.
(c) Cursing Elisha for his hand in their demise.
(d) Knowing that they cannot save the Jewish faith.
5. When does Elisha hear Charicles the philosopher speak at Antioch?
(a) During a festival.
(b) Before leaving Antioch for the last time.
(c) Many years later.
(d) As soon as he returns to Antioch.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the two men discuss the highest levels of philosophy?
2. How does Charicles first feel about Elisha?
3. When does Elisha leave the arena?
4. Where has Rufus erected his headquarters?
5. What feeling does Elisha experiences after his conversation with Charicles?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Demonax refuse to take on Elisha as a student, and what consolation does he offer to Elisha?
2. Why do the rabbis have to meet in secret in the attic?
3. What did Manto make Elisha vow to do, as she lay dying in his arms?
4. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
5. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
6. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
7. What happened to Elisha after he was forced to watch the rabbis be executed?
8. What did the people of Bethar choose to do rather than face Roman slavery and torture?
9. How did Meir honor Elisha after Elisha died?
10. How do the Jews of Palestine react when they discover Judah was martyred?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)