|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Akiba and Elisha not speak when they meet?
(a) Akiba hates Elisha for what he did in Israel.
(b) Akiba and Elisha have no interest in each other.
(c) Elisha is upset that Akiba did not stand by him in Israel.
(d) Akiba honors the commands of the ex-communication.
2. What does Elisha feel shamed by?
(a) By how the other rabbis beg for their lives.
(b) By having to sit next to a harlot at the executions.
(c) By the dedication of his fellow rabbis.
(d) By the idea that he caused the Jewish faith to end forever.
3. As Elisha and Pappas travel back through the lands of their birth, what do they find has become of their homes?
(a) New families live there, and not much else has changed.
(b) They are no loger welcomed because no one knows them anymore.
(c) They have been destroyed.
(d) Roman soldiers now occupy them.
4. What is the result of Elisha and Pappas visit with Rufus to ask him to convince the Emperor to change his plans?
(a) Rufus convinces the Emperor to change his plans.
(b) Elisha insults Rufus.
(c) Rufus tries, but fails to convince the Emperor to change his plans.
(d) Rufus tells them that he can do nothing.
5. When does Elisha hear Charicles the philosopher speak at Antioch?
(a) During a festival.
(b) Many years later.
(c) Before leaving Antioch for the last time.
(d) As soon as he returns to Antioch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Meir tell Elisha about what the Sanhedrin has done?
2. What task has Rabbi Judah ben Baba been chosen for during the meeting in the attic?
3. What does Elisha realize about the peddlers as they sing their wares?
4. As Meir is weeping at Elisha's grave, how does Meir remember Elisha?
5. How are over thirty rabbis able to meet in the attic of a friend in Lydda?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
2. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
3. Why does the bloody spectacle not humor the Romans?
4. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
5. Was it wise for Elisha to pursue truth regardless of the consequences?
6. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
7. Where does Elisha go during the blizzard, and why?
8. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
9. How do the Jews of Palestine react when they discover Judah was martyred?
10. What happened to Elisha after he was forced to watch the rabbis be executed?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)