|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Elisha taken after the executions?
(a) To the home of Nicholaus, who cares for him.
(b) To jail.
(c) To Rufus.
(d) To the home of Pappas, who has been executed.
2. How does Elisha feel about his quest to seek a reasoned certainty that would explain everything, including faith?
(a) Given the chance, he would not change anything.
(b) His quest was in vain.
(c) His quest has only strengthened his commitment to faith.
(d) His quest was a vital part of faith.
3. After 8 years in Antioch, Elisha writes a monograph detailing what?
(a) Elisha's study of Greek and Roman texts.
(b) Elisha's experience as a rabbi in Israel.
(c) Elisha's life in Antioch.
(d) Elisha's plan for his life studies.
4. What is Elisha's great undoing?
(a) His unwillingness to compromise his views.
(b) His conversation with Charicles.
(c) His reasoned certainty that life is easy.
(d) His unwavering faith.
5. What is Elisha amazed to find even on death row?
(a) The Rabbis have lost their faith.
(b) The Jewish prisoners are on death row.
(c) The Rabbis still believe the faith will survive.
(d) The Roman soldiers treat the Jewish prisoners with dignity.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Elisha and Pappas travel back through the lands of their birth, what do they find has become of their homes?
2. What does Elisha realize about the peddlers as they sing their wares?
3. Who does Elisha find in prison?
4. What does the realization, that reason could be based in myth, do to Elisha?
5. Why do Akiba and Elisha not speak when they meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Demonax refuse to take on Elisha as a student, and what consolation does he offer to Elisha?
2. Why do the rabbis have to meet in secret in the attic?
3. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
4. As Elisha and Pappas travel back to Jerusalem, how does their hometown look?
5. While in jail, Akiba makes a prediction. What does Akiba predict?
6. What happened to Elisha after he was forced to watch the rabbis be executed?
7. Rufus presents a life or death question to Pappas and Elisha. How does Elisha respond?
8. Why did Charicles not want to speak with Elisha at first?
9. Why does Akiba refuse to speak to Elisha when they see each other on the road?
10. What did the people of Bethar choose to do rather than face Roman slavery and torture?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)