|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elisha ask of Rufus in return for his cooperation?
(a) To not kill Pappas.
(b) To destroy the Sanhedrin.
(c) To forgive him.
(d) To stop the war.
2. What happens to Elisha's grave?
(a) It is destroyed by Roman soldiers.
(b) Elisha's grave is moved to Meir's town cemetery.
(c) The gravestone is removed.
(d) Lightning strikes Elisha's grave.
3. How does Elisha try to deceive Rufus?
(a) By poisoning Rufus during dinner.
(b) By escaping and running away.
(c) By not telling Rufus some important information about the Jews.
(d) By lying to Rufus by making up facts about the Jews.
4. Who does Elisha encounter on the road to Caesarea?
(b) Roman soldiers.
5. What is the strength of the Jewish faith expected to outlast?
(a) The war against the Jews.
(b) The paganism practiced by the Romans.
(c) The Jews who practice it.
(d) The vast studies and wisdom of the Romans and Greeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Elisha go to begin his work for the Romans?
2. How can Elisha's life be described?
3. What has Demonax studied all available information on for years and found nothing to use?
4. What has Elisha based his entire life and course of studies on?
5. What happens after Judah ben Baba ordains the new rabbi at their secret meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
2. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
3. Why does the bloody spectacle not humor the Romans?
4. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
5. How did Meir honor Elisha after Elisha died?
6. Was it wise for Elisha to pursue truth regardless of the consequences?
7. Why did Charicles not want to speak with Elisha at first?
8. While in jail, Akiba makes a prediction. What does Akiba predict?
9. Why does Akiba refuse to speak to Elisha when they see each other on the road?
10. What did Manto make Elisha vow to do, as she lay dying in his arms?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)