|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people of Bethar do when they realize that the Romans will soon overrun their town?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Surrender to the Romans.
(c) Celebrate and prepare a grand feast.
(d) Invite the Romans into town.
2. What happens after Judah ben Baba ordains the new rabbi at their secret meeting?
(a) Judah ben Baba flees to Morocco.
(b) The Romans find Judah ben Baba and kill him.
(c) The Persians attack Rome.
(d) Elisha talks with Judah ben Baba about logic and faith.
3. As Elisha and Pappas travel back through the lands of their birth, what do they find has become of their homes?
(a) They have been destroyed.
(b) They are no loger welcomed because no one knows them anymore.
(c) New families live there, and not much else has changed.
(d) Roman soldiers now occupy them.
4. Who brings Elisha the news that Manto is dying?
(a) Manto's maid.
5. What does Meir tell Elisha about what the Sanhedrin has done?
(a) That the Sanhedrin is meeting again.
(b) They were destroyed by Romans.
(c) They revoked Elisha's miscommunication.
(d) The Sanhedrin has been disbanded.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
2. What happens to Elisha's grave?
3. How are over thirty rabbis able to meet in the attic of a friend in Lydda?
4. What does Elisha say in response to Meir when Meir asks Elisha to come home with him?
5. What has Akiba predicted about the Roman Empire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Meir choosing to not walk with Elisha past the boundary where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath?
2. Why do the rabbis have to meet in secret in the attic?
3. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
4. Why does Akiba refuse to speak to Elisha when they see each other on the road?
5. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
6. Why does Demonax refuse to take on Elisha as a student, and what consolation does he offer to Elisha?
7. Why does the bloody spectacle not humor the Romans?
8. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
9. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
10. As Elisha and Pappas travel back to Jerusalem, how does their hometown look?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)