|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after Judah ben Baba ordains the new rabbi at their secret meeting?
(a) The Persians attack Rome.
(b) The Romans find Judah ben Baba and kill him.
(c) Judah ben Baba flees to Morocco.
(d) Elisha talks with Judah ben Baba about logic and faith.
2. Where does Elisha go to escape the cold of the blizzard?
(a) The home of Pappas.
(b) The Sanhedrin.
(c) The headquarters of Rufus.
(d) The library.
3. Meir walks with Elisha until they reach the boundary which marks what?
(a) The entrance to Caesarea.
(b) The beginning of Roman territory.
(c) The separation between Jews and Romans.
(d) Where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath.
4. How does Elisha look when he hears Charicles speak at Antioch?
(a) Appears youthful and vibrant, despite his age.
(b) Worried by the outlandish ideas Charicles speaks of.
(c) Distracted by his own memories of betrayal.
(d) Ravaged and he has white hair.
5. What does Rufus want Elisha and Pappas to do?
(a) To send a message to Israel.
(b) To stay with him at his headquarters for their safety.
(c) To fight along side the Romans.
(d) To inform him about the Jews.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can Elisha's life be described?
2. Why does Demonax refuse Elisha's request?
3. What does Charicles finally say about mathematics and science?
4. What do the rabbis talk about during their meeting, other than keeping the faith alive and ordaining new rabbis?
5. How do the two men discuss the highest levels of philosophy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
2. Why do the rabbis have to meet in secret in the attic?
3. What happened to Elisha after he was forced to watch the rabbis be executed?
4. Was it wise for Elisha to pursue truth regardless of the consequences?
5. What is symbolic about Meir choosing to not walk with Elisha past the boundary where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath?
6. Why do Elisha and Manto hide their mutual love from Rufus, Manto's benefactor?
7. Rufus presents a life or death question to Pappas and Elisha. How does Elisha respond?
8. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
9. How did Meir honor Elisha after Elisha died?
10. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)