|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the people of Bethar do when they realize that the Romans will soon overrun their town?
(a) Celebrate and prepare a grand feast.
(b) Surrender to the Romans.
(c) Invite the Romans into town.
(d) Commit suicide.
2. How does Elisha feel about his quest to seek a reasoned certainty that would explain everything, including faith?
(a) His quest has only strengthened his commitment to faith.
(b) His quest was in vain.
(c) Given the chance, he would not change anything.
(d) His quest was a vital part of faith.
3. What happens to Elisha's grave?
(a) Lightning strikes Elisha's grave.
(b) The gravestone is removed.
(c) Elisha's grave is moved to Meir's town cemetery.
(d) It is destroyed by Roman soldiers.
4. What has Elisha based his entire life and course of studies on?
(a) The fact of mathematics.
(b) Greek and Roman literature.
(c) Business management.
(d) Jewish traditions and values.
5. Meir walks with Elisha until they reach the boundary which marks what?
(a) The separation between Jews and Romans.
(b) The beginning of Roman territory.
(c) Where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath.
(d) The entrance to Caesarea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to people who are caught practicing Jewish traditions and teachings?
2. What is Elisha's great undoing?
3. Why does Elisha return to Antioch?
4. What does Rufus say will happen to Elisha and Pappas if they do not comply?
5. Where does Elisha go to begin his work for the Romans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
2. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
3. Was it wise for Elisha to pursue truth regardless of the consequences?
4. What did the people of Bethar choose to do rather than face Roman slavery and torture?
5. Why does the bloody spectacle not humor the Romans?
6. Why does Akiba refuse to speak to Elisha when they see each other on the road?
7. Why did Charicles not want to speak with Elisha at first?
8. Why does Elisha decide not to reveal the names of the new rabbis to Rufus?
9. Why is Elisha not happy about his relationship with Manto?
10. Why do the rabbis have to meet in secret in the attic?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)