|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Elisha's trial period as a sage apprentice is over, what does he decide to do?
(a) He swims in the Red Sea and drowns.
(b) He chooses to continue his training with Joshua.
(c) He returns home and learns carpentry with Pappas.
(d) He runs away from Uncle Amram.
2. What happens to Eliezer's proposal concerning the ban against pagan literature?
(a) It is voted down.
(b) It creates a tie in the Sanhedrin.
(c) It is adopted and set into motion.
(d) It is laughed out of court.
3. What happens when Elisha goes to Manto's home when she is alone?
(a) They consummate their love for one another.
(b) Manto tells Elisha that Rufus is planning on killing him.
(c) They discuss the arena where men and lions kill each other.
(d) Elisha tells Manto he must leave Antioch.
4. Who does Elisha find, to his delight and surprise, in Caeserea?
(b) His wife, Deborah.
(c) His father.
(d) His old tutor, Nicholaus.
5. Who goes mad and implicates Elisha as the one who created the disbelief in him?
(b) Simeon ben Azzai.
(d) Simeon ben Zoma.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives on a Roman ship at the port of Antioch?
2. What did rabbi Joshua do when the ex-communication of Elisha was read at Sanhedrin?
3. How does Elisha try to console Deborah after she becomes pregnant twice and loses both babies?
4. How does Elisha feel about the subject of human trading?
5. Where does the plague strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. What strikes Elisha as characteristic about the people of Antioch?
2. Who does Elisha turn to after sharing his thoughts with Deborah, and why?
3. Why are Akiba and the two Simeons uncomfortable talking to Elisha about Greek literature?
4. Why does Julianus of Tarsus encourage the Jews to fight?
5. What do the two famous sages, Eliezer and Joshua, discuss at Elisha's circumcision ceremony?
6. In Part One, Chapter V, how did Elisha feel about attending the Sanhedrin for the first time?
7. Who eavesdrops on a conversation between Elisha and Meir, and what does she discover?
8. Do you think Elisha manipulated his friends to study Greek literature for his own purposes?
9. Why is Manto so casual about buying another human slave?
10. Why do you think Deborah is not comfortable around Meir and his wife Beruriah?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)