|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the origin of Theo's name?
2. Soon after Elisha's conversation, a rider comes into town with what news?
(a) That Elisha's wife has been injured.
(b) That the Romans have banned Jews from working on the Temple.
(c) That the Temple has been completed.
(d) That Meir has died in a horrible accident.
3. What is the name of the Greek scholar who instructs Elisha as a boy?
4. What happened to the merchant's business after the court case?
(a) His business was set on fire and he had to move to another building.
(b) He sold his business.
(c) His business went bankrupt and he was ostracized from the land.
(d) His business picked up and was better than before.
5. Why is Tobias, Elisha's steward, furious with Pappas and Elisha for their conversation with the Romans?
(a) Because the Romans murdered many Jews and destroyed the Temple.
(b) Because now the boys want to be Romans.
(c) Because the boys weren't respectful enough to the Romans.
(d) Because the Romans caused the boys to come home late.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attends lecture and symposia with Elisha?
2. How does Elisha try to console Deborah after she becomes pregnant twice and loses both babies?
3. What does Elisha think about his new wife after the week-long festival?
4. While the seventy sages of the Sanhedrin are in session, who raises the question about whether a man should use Greek books and letters to read and study?
5. Who is the confusing and angry man Elisha meets at dinner before he meets Simeon ben Azzai and Simeon ben Zoma?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nicholaus, Elisha's tutor, look like?
2. Why are Akiba and the two Simeons uncomfortable talking to Elisha about Greek literature?
3. Do you think Shraga is right to rebel against the Roman government and fight for his beliefs?
4. In the Prologue, what do the sages debate over and what do they decide?
5. What did Elisha drop in his Jewish academy class?
6. How does Shraga treat Elisha when they're working on the merchant's court case together?
7. How does Simeon ben Azzai die?
8. In Part One, Chapter VI, what does Uncle Amram teach Elisha about his estate?
9. Which friend of Elisha's is better at processing the Greek literature than the other two? Why?
10. How does Elisha respond to the death of Beruriah and Meir's children?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)