|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Soon after Elisha's conversation, a rider comes into town with what news?
(a) That Elisha's wife has been injured.
(b) That the Temple has been completed.
(c) That Meir has died in a horrible accident.
(d) That the Romans have banned Jews from working on the Temple.
2. After Elisha's first meeting with Rabbi Joshua, how does Rabbi Joshua win Elisha's confidence?
(a) Elisha admires Joshuas modest life-style.
(b) Rabbi Joshua praises Elisha.
(c) Rabbi Joshua does not win Elisha's confidence at all.
(d) Rabbi Joshua proposes a trial period for them both.
3. Does Abuyah consort with pagan philosophers and read Greek books?
(a) Sometimes, but he hides his beliefs from everyone.
(d) When he was younger, but he does not do so anymore.
4. What is Deborah bothered by when around Meir and his wife?
(a) They live in squalor.
(b) They're richer than her.
(c) They're not wealthy.
(d) Their children are annoying.
5. Where did Elisha travel while studying, attending academies, and sitting with the masters?
(b) Judea and Galilee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tobias, Elisha's steward, furious with Pappas and Elisha for their conversation with the Romans?
2. Who stands up against the leader of the rebels?
3. What is the name of the Greek scholar who instructs Elisha as a boy?
4. Why is Elisha ashamed when he watches the spectacle at the local arena where men and lions kill each other?
5. Who goes mad and implicates Elisha as the one who created the disbelief in him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the two famous sages, Eliezer and Joshua, discuss at Elisha's circumcision ceremony?
2. What secret does Elisha tell Beruriah, and why?
3. After the ex-communication of Elisha was read at Sanhedrin, what did Joshua do?
4. How does Elisha respond to the death of Beruriah and Meir's children?
5. Which friend of Elisha's is better at processing the Greek literature than the other two? Why?
6. Elisha sees a young boy climbing a tree for bird eggs. What happens to the little boy and how does it affect Elisha?
7. Why does one rabbi give the opinion that wisdom cannot be found in pagan literature?
8. What is the job of the Sanhedrin?
9. What do you think Abuyah means by his dying words to Elisha?
10. Why are Akiba and the two Simeons uncomfortable talking to Elisha about Greek literature?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)