|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does Elisha receive from Pappas?
(a) A Greek book.
(b) Old, ancient scrolls.
(c) An expensive lamp.
(d) A ring.
2. When Elisha begins his studies on Antioch, what does he study first?
(a) Advanced Greek grammer.
(b) Basic Greek grammar, culture, and history.
(d) The business of human trading.
3. Why does Amram decide not to let Elisha become married to Theo?
(a) Amram knows that Elisha is in love with Deborah.
(b) Deborah's family is much wealthier than Theo's.
(c) Because Theo's family is part Greek.
(d) Amram thinks Theo distracts Elisha from his studies.
4. Why does Pappas go back to Israel?
(a) To inform the Sanhedrin that Elisha has no intent to return to Israel.
(b) To ask rabbi Joshua for advice concerning Elisha.
(c) To bring Deborah back to Antioch with him.
(d) To extract a message of intent from the Sanhedrin concerning Elisha.
5. Why is Abuyah considered something of a heretic among others in this society?
(a) He spoke with Roman soldiers.
(b) He is late for Elisha's circumcision.
(c) He is known to have studied Greek and Roman works.
(d) His wife, Elisheba, died shortly after giving birth to his son.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the deaths from the plague affect Elisha?
2. What happens when Elisha goes to Manto's home when she is alone?
3. While the seventy sages of the Sanhedrin are in session, who raises the question about whether a man should use Greek books and letters to read and study?
4. How is Elisha welcomed when he arrives at the home of Pappas in Antioch?
5. What is Abuyah's dying wish for Elisha to fulfill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the job of the Sanhedrin?
2. Why does one rabbi give the opinion that wisdom cannot be found in pagan literature?
3. What does the delegation of the local Jews want to know about Elisha?
4. Why does Julianus of Tarsus encourage the Jews to fight?
5. What do the two famous sages, Eliezer and Joshua, discuss at Elisha's circumcision ceremony?
6. In Part One, Chapter V, how did Elisha feel about attending the Sanhedrin for the first time?
7. Who eavesdrops on a conversation between Elisha and Meir, and what does she discover?
8. Why does Pappas tell Elisha that he may move with him to Antioch?
9. In Part One, Chapter X, does Elisha seem happy? Why?
10. In Part One, Chapter XX, what advice does Nicholaus give to Elisha about Elisha's obsession with Greek literature?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)