|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nicholaus tell Elisha when Elisha says he cannot repress his feelings and obsession with finding the truth?
(a) They must only meet secretly from now on.
(b) He will report him to the authorities.
(c) Their friendship is over.
(d) He will stand by him as a friend.
2. On his next journey, when Elisha stops in a small town what does he see?
(a) A magician doing magic tricks.
(b) A washerwoman break her leg.
(c) A temple being built.
(d) A small girl dying on the street.
3. What do the workers, numbering over 500, want to do after the command to leave?
(a) Pretend they do not hear the command.
(b) Stay and fight.
(c) Gladly leave.
(d) Go home to their families.
4. Why does Amram decide not to let Elisha become married to Theo?
(a) Deborah's family is much wealthier than Theo's.
(b) Because Theo's family is part Greek.
(c) Amram knows that Elisha is in love with Deborah.
(d) Amram thinks Theo distracts Elisha from his studies.
5. What is Elisha dismayed to discover when he arrives to help with the court case?
(a) Elisha is the only one on the case.
(b) Shraga is not on the court case with him.
(c) Shraga is one of the other sages on the case.
(d) The case is already settled.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elisha's obsession with truth has caused what to dissolve?
2. After being asked to make a speech to a class in an academy, what does Elisha tell the students?
3. Why has Elisha been called to return to Israel?
4. Who arranges that Elisha be released from jail?
5. When Elisha is notified that he is now a candidate for ordination, Deborah insists what of the servants?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Elisha respond to the death of Beruriah and Meir's children?
2. Why do you think Deborah is not comfortable around Meir and his wife Beruriah?
3. What secret does Elisha tell Beruriah, and why?
4. In Part One, Chapter V, how did Elisha feel about attending the Sanhedrin for the first time?
5. Which friend of Elisha's is better at processing the Greek literature than the other two? Why?
6. In the Prologue, what do the sages debate over and what do they decide?
7. Why did the merchant's business suffer after taking his case to the Roman courts?
8. Who eavesdrops on a conversation between Elisha and Meir, and what does she discover?
9. How does Simeon ben Azzai die?
10. Why does Julianus of Tarsus encourage the Jews to fight?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)