|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Elisha and Pappas going when they run into Theo?
(a) They are going to find an encampment of Roman soldiers in the area.
(b) They are headed to watch a cow give birth.
(c) They are going to find Elisha's father and his uncle.
(d) They are going to study Greek and Roman works.
2. Where does Elisha suspect the real truth lies?
(a) Math, english, and religion.
(b) The Sanhedrin, tradition, and ancient scriptures.
(c) Logic, reason, and astrology.
(d) Science, math, or philosophy.
3. On his next journey, when Elisha stops in a small town what does he see?
(a) A washerwoman break her leg.
(b) A magician doing magic tricks.
(c) A temple being built.
(d) A small girl dying on the street.
4. What do the workers, numbering over 500, want to do after the command to leave?
(a) Gladly leave.
(b) Go home to their families.
(c) Stay and fight.
(d) Pretend they do not hear the command.
5. What did Elisha's best friends do because they were manipulated by Elisha?
(a) Helped him learn more Greek knowledge.
(b) Rebuilt the Temple.
(c) Built a government based on Greek law.
(d) Devised new methods to counteract the Sanhedrin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Meir's wife?
2. How is Elisha welcomed when he arrives at the home of Pappas in Antioch?
3. What are the names of Meir's children?
4. Who takes over Elisha's circumcision ceremony at the absence of Abuyah?
5. While the seventy sages of the Sanhedrin are in session, who raises the question about whether a man should use Greek books and letters to read and study?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part One, Chapter X, does Elisha seem happy? Why?
2. What do you think Abuyah means by his dying words to Elisha?
3. What does the delegation of the local Jews want to know about Elisha?
4. How does Simeon ben Azzai die?
5. In Part One, Chapter VI, what does Uncle Amram teach Elisha about his estate?
6. What strikes Elisha as characteristic about the people of Antioch?
7. How does Elisha handle his new life in Antioch?
8. Do you think Shraga is right to rebel against the Roman government and fight for his beliefs?
9. In Part One, Chapter V, how did Elisha feel about attending the Sanhedrin for the first time?
10. Who eavesdrops on a conversation between Elisha and Meir, and what does she discover?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)