|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Manto say it is impossible for her to marry Elisha?
(a) She does not love him.
(b) She is happily married to Rufus.
(c) She cannot leave her lifestyle.
(d) She would be looked down upon by her friends.
2. What does Elisha acknowledge to Meir after receiving the news?
(a) The Sanhedrin will indict him, but he cannot stop searching for answers.
(b) The Sanhedrin will not indict him because he is so smart.
(c) The Sanhedrin will indict him, and he will stop asking questions.
(d) He no longer believes in god.
3. Once Elisha surveys the desolation at the Temple Mount, what does he tell Joshua?
(a) That he is divorcing Deborah.
(b) That he is glad the rebuilding of the Temple will happen soon.
(c) That he does not believe in God.
(d) That he does not think the rebuilding will ever happen.
4. What is Elisha dismayed to discover when he arrives to help with the court case?
(a) Elisha is the only one on the case.
(b) Shraga is one of the other sages on the case.
(c) The case is already settled.
(d) Shraga is not on the court case with him.
5. What did Elisha's best friends do because they were manipulated by Elisha?
(a) Devised new methods to counteract the Sanhedrin.
(b) Built a government based on Greek law.
(c) Rebuilt the Temple.
(d) Helped him learn more Greek knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Elisha plan to defend himself to the Sanhedrin?
2. What are the names of Meir's children?
3. Where does the plague strike?
4. How many years did Elisha sit as an observer and Joshua's apprentice at the Sanhedrin?
5. After being asked to make a speech to a class in an academy, what does Elisha tell the students?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which friend of Elisha's is better at processing the Greek literature than the other two? Why?
2. What is the job of the Sanhedrin?
3. What strikes Elisha as characteristic about the people of Antioch?
4. In Part One, Chapter X, does Elisha seem happy? Why?
5. How does Simeon ben Azzai die?
6. Do you think Shraga is right to rebel against the Roman government and fight for his beliefs?
7. Why are Akiba and the two Simeons uncomfortable talking to Elisha about Greek literature?
8. Why do Antiphanes and Elisha attend all the lectures and symposia offered in Antioch?
9. Why did the merchant's business suffer after taking his case to the Roman courts?
10. In Part One, Chapter VI, what does Uncle Amram teach Elisha about his estate?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)