|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the confusing and angry man Elisha meets at dinner before he meets Simeon ben Azzai and Simeon ben Zoma?
(a) Shraga, a rebellious and almost insane fighter for the Jews.
(b) Azzar, an old carpenter.
(c) Josef, a member of the Sanhedrin.
(d) Zion, a young rabbi.
2. After sitting as an observer and Joshua's apprentice at Sanhedrin, what happened to Elisha?
(a) Elisha moves to Italy.
(b) Elisha is ordained as a Rabbi.
(c) Elisha becomes a Bishop.
(d) Elisha leaves his wife.
3. Roman officers come to the house of Pappas to deliver what document to Elisha?
(a) A summons to appear before the chief justice of the province.
(b) A welcome letter from the chief justice of the province.
(c) A letter from his wife, Deborah, pleading for his return.
(d) An order from the Roman empire to leave Antioch forever.
4. Why is Tobias, Elisha's steward, furious with Pappas and Elisha for their conversation with the Romans?
(a) Because now the boys want to be Romans.
(b) Because the Romans caused the boys to come home late.
(c) Because the Romans murdered many Jews and destroyed the Temple.
(d) Because the boys weren't respectful enough to the Romans.
5. What does Elisha say to the other rabbis after they witness a boy fall from a tree and die?
(a) That the father of the boy be put on trial for negligence.
(b) That he is to leave this world, immediately.
(c) That it was all a part of God's divine plan.
(d) That there is no God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Meir's wife?
2. How does Elisha respond when Deborah is trying to renew her marriage with him?
3. When Elisha begins his studies on Antioch, what does he study first?
4. How does Elisha plan to defend himself to the Sanhedrin?
5. What are the names of Meir's children?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does one rabbi give the opinion that wisdom cannot be found in pagan literature?
2. What did Elisha drop in his Jewish academy class?
3. Why does Elisha seek out the Christians and Gnostics?
4. Why was Elisha and Deborah's marriage pre-arranged by Amram?
5. What is the job of the Sanhedrin?
6. Do you think Shraga is right to rebel against the Roman government and fight for his beliefs?
7. In Part One, Chapter XX, what advice does Nicholaus give to Elisha about Elisha's obsession with Greek literature?
8. Why do Antiphanes and Elisha attend all the lectures and symposia offered in Antioch?
9. What secret does Elisha tell Beruriah, and why?
10. Why is Elisha fascinated by Akiba when he meets him?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)