|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Pappas return to Antioch with?
(a) The Sanhedrin now studies Greek and Roman literature.
(b) Deborah wants to reconcile.
(c) The Sanhedrin does not want to extradite Elisha, and Joshua is dead.
(d) Deborah wants a divorce, and Joshua has become ill.
2. What is the result of the three years of instruction Elisha receives from Amram after his father's death?
(a) Elisha becomes thoroughly Jewish in practice and appearance, yet not in thought.
(b) Elisha renounces his Jewish faith.
(c) Elisha becomes thoroughly Jewish in practice, appearance, and thought.
(d) Elisha begins his training to become a rabbi and sage.
3. What sort of people does Elisha find himself in the company of after accepting an invitation to dinner by one of the rhetoricians?
(a) Rabbis and sages.
(b) Hedonistic and self centered.
(c) Polite and well educated.
(d) Both religious zealots and scientists.
4. Who arranges that Elisha be released from jail?
5. Who goes mad and implicates Elisha as the one who created the disbelief in him?
(a) Simeon ben Azzai.
(c) Simeon ben Zoma.
Short Answer Questions
1. What idea does Elisha present to his friends about Greek literature?
2. How does Joshua, his old instructor, feel about Elisha?
3. Who is the leader of the rebels?
4. While the seventy sages of the Sanhedrin are in session, who raises the question about whether a man should use Greek books and letters to read and study?
5. Who tells Elisha that there are rebels among the Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shraga treat Elisha when they're working on the merchant's court case together?
2. What secret does Elisha tell Beruriah, and why?
3. Which friend of Elisha's is better at processing the Greek literature than the other two? Why?
4. Why do Antiphanes and Elisha attend all the lectures and symposia offered in Antioch?
5. Why are Akiba and the two Simeons uncomfortable talking to Elisha about Greek literature?
6. What do you think Abuyah means by his dying words to Elisha?
7. Why is Manto so casual about buying another human slave?
8. What strikes Elisha as characteristic about the people of Antioch?
9. How does Simeon ben Azzai die?
10. Do you think Shraga is right to rebel against the Roman government and fight for his beliefs?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)