|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Elisha's trial period as a sage apprentice is over, what does he decide to do?
(a) He swims in the Red Sea and drowns.
(b) He runs away from Uncle Amram.
(c) He chooses to continue his training with Joshua.
(d) He returns home and learns carpentry with Pappas.
2. Where does Elisha suspect the real truth lies?
(a) The Sanhedrin, tradition, and ancient scriptures.
(b) Logic, reason, and astrology.
(c) Math, english, and religion.
(d) Science, math, or philosophy.
3. What do Deborah's behavior and actions at the feast make very clear about her character?
(a) That she is very temperamental.
(b) That she values wealth more than friendship.
(c) That she is in love with Pappas.
(d) That she is warm and genuine.
4. Where is Elisha sent, as a sage, to sit in court over a controversial issue?
(c) His hometown.
5. What sort of people does Elisha find himself in the company of after accepting an invitation to dinner by one of the rhetoricians?
(a) Polite and well educated.
(b) Both religious zealots and scientists.
(c) Hedonistic and self centered.
(d) Rabbis and sages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elisha dismayed to discover when he arrives to help with the court case?
2. What does Nicholaus tell Elisha when Elisha says he cannot repress his feelings and obsession with finding the truth?
3. Who does Elisha want to seek out to answer his questions?
4. Who is the leader of the rebels?
5. What is the result of the three years of instruction Elisha receives from Amram after his father's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
2. Do you think Elisha manipulated his friends to study Greek literature for his own purposes?
3. Why does Elisha's discussion with Charicles deeply disturb Elisha?
4. What secret does Elisha tell Beruriah, and why?
5. What does Nicholaus, Elisha's tutor, look like?
6. What does the delegation of the local Jews want to know about Elisha?
7. Was it wise for Elisha to pursue truth regardless of the consequences?
8. Why does Charicles say that mathematics and science could also be myths?
9. Where does Elisha go during the blizzard, and why?
10. Why does Elisha decide not to reveal the names of the new rabbis to Rufus?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)