|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Pappas return to Antioch with?
(a) The Sanhedrin does not want to extradite Elisha, and Joshua is dead.
(b) The Sanhedrin now studies Greek and Roman literature.
(c) Deborah wants a divorce, and Joshua has become ill.
(d) Deborah wants to reconcile.
2. What does Elisha's life revolve around once he begins his studies?
(c) Greek and Roman mythology.
3. When Elisha is notified that he is now a candidate for ordination, Deborah insists what of the servants?
(a) She insists they call Elisha, Rabbi.
(b) She insists they prepare a feast for themselves.
(c) She insists they take a week off.
(d) She insists they kneel before Elisha.
4. Once Elisha surveys the desolation at the Temple Mount, what does he tell Joshua?
(a) That he does not think the rebuilding will ever happen.
(b) That he does not believe in God.
(c) That he is divorcing Deborah.
(d) That he is glad the rebuilding of the Temple will happen soon.
5. Who does Elisha present his idea to about Greek literature?
(a) Akiba and the two Simeons.
(b) Deborah, Akiba, and Amram.
(c) Meir, Deborah and Simeon.
(d) Meir and the two Simeons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elisha think about his new wife after the week-long festival?
2. What does Elisha acknowledge to Meir after receiving the news?
3. What are the names of Meir's children?
4. When Elisha returns to his rooms, who wants to know what he is doing?
5. Why does Manto say it is impossible for her to marry Elisha?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part One, Chapter VI, what does Uncle Amram teach Elisha about his estate?
2. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
3. How do the Jews of Palestine react when they discover Judah was martyred?
4. How does Shraga treat Elisha when they're working on the merchant's court case together?
5. Why does Charicles say that mathematics and science could also be myths?
6. As Elisha and Pappas travel back to Jerusalem, how does their hometown look?
7. Why does Demonax refuse to take on Elisha as a student, and what consolation does he offer to Elisha?
8. How did Meir honor Elisha after Elisha died?
9. Describe the symbolism behind Rufus making Elisha sit beside a harlot during the executions.
10. What happened to Elisha after he was forced to watch the rabbis be executed?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)