|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Abuyah considered something of a heretic among others in this society?
(a) He is late for Elisha's circumcision.
(b) His wife, Elisheba, died shortly after giving birth to his son.
(c) He spoke with Roman soldiers.
(d) He is known to have studied Greek and Roman works.
2. What does Nicholaus tell Elisha when Elisha says he cannot repress his feelings and obsession with finding the truth?
(a) He will stand by him as a friend.
(b) He will report him to the authorities.
(c) Their friendship is over.
(d) They must only meet secretly from now on.
3. Before leaving the garden, Akiba pleads with Elisha to do what?
(a) Stop the executions.
(b) Turn back before everything is lost.
(c) Stay true to his quest for truth.
(d) Take Deborah back.
4. What sort of people does Elisha find himself in the company of after accepting an invitation to dinner by one of the rhetoricians?
(a) Hedonistic and self centered.
(b) Polite and well educated.
(c) Both religious zealots and scientists.
(d) Rabbis and sages.
5. Why is Rabbi Johannan amazed that Elisha is studying to become a rabbi?
(a) Because Elisha's father had strong sympathies for the Greek.
(b) Because Elisha is a lay carpenter.
(c) Because Elisha is a Greek.
(d) Because Elisha isn't intelligent enough to handle the job.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Elisha is going back to Nicholaus, what does he overhear his father say to Uncle Amram?
2. Who does Elisha want to seek out to answer his questions?
3. When Abuyah dies, who burns all the books and documents that are not Jewish?
4. Who arranges that Elisha be released from jail?
5. After being asked to make a speech to a class in an academy, what does Elisha tell the students?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shraga treat Elisha when they're working on the merchant's court case together?
2. What do you think Abuyah means by his dying words to Elisha?
3. In Part One, Chapter X, does Elisha seem happy? Why?
4. Who does Elisha turn to after sharing his thoughts with Deborah, and why?
5. What strikes Elisha as characteristic about the people of Antioch?
6. Do you think Shraga is right to rebel against the Roman government and fight for his beliefs?
7. Why did the merchant's business suffer after taking his case to the Roman courts?
8. Why does one rabbi give the opinion that wisdom cannot be found in pagan literature?
9. Who eavesdrops on a conversation between Elisha and Meir, and what does she discover?
10. What does Nicholaus, Elisha's tutor, look like?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)