|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of the three years of instruction Elisha receives from Amram after his father's death?
(a) Elisha becomes thoroughly Jewish in practice and appearance, yet not in thought.
(b) Elisha renounces his Jewish faith.
(c) Elisha begins his training to become a rabbi and sage.
(d) Elisha becomes thoroughly Jewish in practice, appearance, and thought.
2. Who tells Elisha that there are rebels among the Jews?
(a) Rabbi Peter.
(b) Rabbi Joshua.
(d) Uncle Amram.
3. When Elisha begins his studies on Antioch, what does he study first?
(a) The business of human trading.
(c) Basic Greek grammar, culture, and history.
(d) Advanced Greek grammer.
4. Who is the confusing and angry man Elisha meets at dinner before he meets Simeon ben Azzai and Simeon ben Zoma?
(a) Josef, a member of the Sanhedrin.
(b) Azzar, an old carpenter.
(c) Zion, a young rabbi.
(d) Shraga, a rebellious and almost insane fighter for the Jews.
5. Who takes over Elisha's circumcision ceremony at the absence of Abuyah?
(a) Uncle Amram.
Short Answer Questions
1. On his next journey, when Elisha stops in a small town what does he see?
2. After being asked to make a speech to a class in an academy, what does Elisha tell the students?
3. What happens when Elisha goes to Manto's home when she is alone?
4. Soon after Elisha's conversation, a rider comes into town with what news?
5. What is Elisha dismayed to discover when he arrives to help with the court case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elisha decide not to reveal the names of the new rabbis to Rufus?
2. Why did the merchant's business suffer after taking his case to the Roman courts?
3. How does Simeon ben Azzai die?
4. How did Meir honor Elisha after Elisha died?
5. Why does Pappas tell Elisha that he may move with him to Antioch?
6. How does Elisha respond to the death of Beruriah and Meir's children?
7. Elisha's life was controversial and devastating as he searched for truth. Was Elisha's search for truth in vain?
8. In Part One, Chapter XX, what advice does Nicholaus give to Elisha about Elisha's obsession with Greek literature?
9. What does Nicholaus, Elisha's tutor, look like?
10. How does Shraga treat Elisha when they're working on the merchant's court case together?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)