|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elisha feel about the Greek literature he has learned in his first three years in Antioch?
(a) That he can't comprehend Greek literature fully.
(b) Beneath the poetry and words there is fear and regret.
(c) That the Greek way of life is the path he is meant to follow.
(d) He hates Greek literature.
2. How does Charicles first feel about Elisha?
(a) Disgust for Elisha's reputation.
(b) He admires Elisha for his faith.
(c) Pity for Elisha's troubled life.
(d) He tries to avoid talking to him.
3. As Meir is weeping at Elisha's grave, how does Meir remember Elisha?
(a) As the old man who caused so much suffering.
(b) With love and regret that Elisha's dreams had to die.
(c) With remorse and sympathy for his lost faith.
(d) With contempt and malice for his betrayal.
4. Who brings Elisha the news that Manto is dying?
(a) Manto's maid.
5. Who encourages Elisha to publish his monograph?
(b) The librarian.
6. What does Rufus want Elisha and Pappas to do?
(a) To inform him about the Jews.
(b) To fight along side the Romans.
(c) To send a message to Israel.
(d) To stay with him at his headquarters for their safety.
7. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
(a) Faith is the nemesis of reason.
(b) Faith is more important than reason.
(c) Faith and reason coexist and comingle.
(d) Reason is more important than faith.
8. What is the strength of the Jewish faith expected to outlast?
(a) The paganism practiced by the Romans.
(b) The war against the Jews.
(c) The vast studies and wisdom of the Romans and Greeks.
(d) The Jews who practice it.
9. Why does Demonax refuse Elisha's request?
(a) He is much too busy.
(b) He does not want to be associated with Elisha.
(c) He cannot teach Elisha anything that Elisha does not already know.
(d) Elisha's request is inappropriate.
10. What do the rabbis talk about during their meeting, other than keeping the faith alive and ordaining new rabbis?
(a) The structure of Roman architecture.
(b) The weather.
(c) That Elisha has grown so wise and strong in his faith.
(d) That Elisha is helping the Romans.
11. What does Rufus say will happen to Elisha and Pappas if they do not comply?
(a) They will be exiled until they change their minds.
(b) They will be killed.
(c) They will be jailed.
(d) Their homes will be destroyed.
12. How does Elisha look when he hears Charicles speak at Antioch?
(a) Appears youthful and vibrant, despite his age.
(b) Distracted by his own memories of betrayal.
(c) Ravaged and he has white hair.
(d) Worried by the outlandish ideas Charicles speaks of.
13. What is the result of Elisha and Pappas visit with Rufus to ask him to convince the Emperor to change his plans?
(a) Rufus tells them that he can do nothing.
(b) Elisha insults Rufus.
(c) Rufus convinces the Emperor to change his plans.
(d) Rufus tries, but fails to convince the Emperor to change his plans.
14. What does Elisha say in response to Meir when Meir asks Elisha to come home with him?
(a) He is going to the Sanhedrin.
(b) He does not want to be a burden.
(c) He declines and says he is going on a long journey.
(d) He accepts the invitation graciously.
15. What does Elisha feel shamed by?
(a) By having to sit next to a harlot at the executions.
(b) By the idea that he caused the Jewish faith to end forever.
(c) By the dedication of his fellow rabbis.
(d) By how the other rabbis beg for their lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to people who are caught practicing Jewish traditions and teachings?
2. What does Charicles finally say about mathematics and science?
3. What did Meir fight for concerning Elisha's death?
4. Where does Elisha go to escape the cold of the blizzard?
5. What happens to Elisha's grave?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)