|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the rabbis talk about during their meeting, other than keeping the faith alive and ordaining new rabbis?
(a) That Elisha has grown so wise and strong in his faith.
(b) That Elisha is helping the Romans.
(c) The structure of Roman architecture.
(d) The weather.
2. What does Charicles finally say about mathematics and science?
(a) They should be forbidden.
(b) They are the laws that all men live by.
(c) They could also be myths.
(d) They will replace faith some day.
3. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
(a) Reason is more important than faith.
(b) Faith is the nemesis of reason.
(c) Faith and reason coexist and comingle.
(d) Faith is more important than reason.
4. What vow does Elisha make to Manto before she dies in his arms?
(a) He will love her forever.
(b) Nothing will stop him from completing his great project.
(c) He will find Rufus and aid him in his war efforts.
(d) He will tell Rufus she loves him.
5. What causes Charicles to change his mind about Elisha?
(a) Charicles never changes his mind about Elisha.
(b) A Rabbi tells Charicles who Elisha is.
(c) He hears Elisha speak.
(d) Charicles realizes that Elisha is a Rabbi.
6. What does Rufus want Elisha and Pappas to do?
(a) To send a message to Israel.
(b) To fight along side the Romans.
(c) To stay with him at his headquarters for their safety.
(d) To inform him about the Jews.
7. When does Elisha leave the arena?
(a) The next day when the attendants find him.
(b) After the first killing.
(c) Before the executions.
(d) Elisha leaves only when the harlot tells him to.
8. What do the people of Bethar do when they realize that the Romans will soon overrun their town?
(a) Invite the Romans into town.
(b) Celebrate and prepare a grand feast.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Surrender to the Romans.
9. What is Elisha amazed to find even on death row?
(a) The Roman soldiers treat the Jewish prisoners with dignity.
(b) The Rabbis still believe the faith will survive.
(c) The Rabbis have lost their faith.
(d) The Jewish prisoners are on death row.
10. What does Rufus do when he realizes Elisha has tried to deceive him?
(a) Arrests only Elisha.
(b) Arrests Elisha and Pappas.
(c) Doesn't realize Elisha has deceived him.
(d) Strongly reprimands Elisha.
11. Where does Elisha go to escape the cold of the blizzard?
(a) The Sanhedrin.
(b) The library.
(c) The home of Pappas.
(d) The headquarters of Rufus.
12. When does Elisha hear Charicles the philosopher speak at Antioch?
(a) As soon as he returns to Antioch.
(b) During a festival.
(c) Many years later.
(d) Before leaving Antioch for the last time.
13. How can Elisha's life be described?
(a) As one of faith, honor, and dignity.
(b) As a life of fear and self-loathing.
(c) As a life of shame and embarrassment.
(d) As one of controversy and dissent and of questioning and seeking truth.
14. What does Meir tell Elisha about what the Sanhedrin has done?
(a) They were destroyed by Romans.
(b) The Sanhedrin has been disbanded.
(c) They revoked Elisha's miscommunication.
(d) That the Sanhedrin is meeting again.
15. What does Rufus say will happen to Elisha and Pappas if they do not comply?
(a) They will be killed.
(b) Their homes will be destroyed.
(c) They will be exiled until they change their minds.
(d) They will be jailed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elisha find in prison?
2. Why do both Elisha and Pappas curtail their expenses and move to smaller apartments?
3. What fate does Elisha accept?
4. What does the realization, that reason could be based in myth, do to Elisha?
5. What can Meir see in his old master's eyes?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)