|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rufus want Elisha and Pappas to do?
(a) To send a message to Israel.
(b) To stay with him at his headquarters for their safety.
(c) To inform him about the Jews.
(d) To fight along side the Romans.
2. After Elisha receives a letter of commendation from head of the museum in Alexandria, who does he rush to show the letter to?
3. Why do Manto and Elisha always have a third person with them?
(a) Manto is uncomfortable around Elisha.
(b) Rufus orders it for their protection.
(c) So that Rufus will not be concerned about their relationship.
(d) Manto and Rufus always go everywhere together.
4. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
(a) Faith is the nemesis of reason.
(b) Faith is more important than reason.
(c) Reason is more important than faith.
(d) Faith and reason coexist and comingle.
5. After 8 years in Antioch, Elisha writes a monograph detailing what?
(a) Elisha's plan for his life studies.
(b) Elisha's experience as a rabbi in Israel.
(c) Elisha's study of Greek and Roman texts.
(d) Elisha's life in Antioch.
6. What do the Roman reinforcements bring with them?
(a) Medical supplies to help the wounded.
(b) Written demands from the Emperor.
(c) Horse drawn chariots.
(d) The plague.
7. When does Elisha leave the arena?
(a) After the first killing.
(b) The next day when the attendants find him.
(c) Before the executions.
(d) Elisha leaves only when the harlot tells him to.
8. What does Elisha say in response to Meir when Meir asks Elisha to come home with him?
(a) He declines and says he is going on a long journey.
(b) He does not want to be a burden.
(c) He accepts the invitation graciously.
(d) He is going to the Sanhedrin.
9. Why does Elisha return to Antioch?
(a) To attend the funeral of his good friend, Pappas.
(b) To end the war, and free his people.
(c) To ask Pappas for forgiveness.
(d) To complete his studies.
10. What happens to people who are caught practicing Jewish traditions and teachings?
(a) No one is caught.
(b) They are praised.
(c) No one in the book practices Jewish traditions and teachings.
(d) They are executed.
11. Why has Akiba come to Antioch to raise money for war against the Romans?
(a) The Romans killed so many jews, and burned down the temple.
(b) He has joined the Jewish rebels.
(c) Because of the Emperor's plan to turn Israel into a site for pagans.
(d) The Emperor is dedicating the temple to Jupiter.
12. What information about the new rabbis reaches Elisha in Caeserea?
(a) He learns nothing about the new rabbis.
(b) The new rabbis are missing.
(c) The new rabbi's birthplaces.
(d) The new rabbi's names.
13. How do the great sages go to their deaths?
(a) Knowing that they cannot save the Jewish faith.
(b) With dignity, displaying their great faith.
(c) Cursing Elisha for his hand in their demise.
(d) While pleading for thier lives, and renouncing their religion.
14. Who encourages Elisha to publish his monograph?
(d) The librarian.
15. How does Elisha try to deceive Rufus?
(a) By escaping and running away.
(b) By poisoning Rufus during dinner.
(c) By lying to Rufus by making up facts about the Jews.
(d) By not telling Rufus some important information about the Jews.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people of Bethar do when they realize that the Romans will soon overrun their town?
2. What does Meir tell Elisha about what the Sanhedrin has done?
3. How long does the siege on Bethar last?
4. Where does Elisha go to begin his work for the Romans?
5. What does Charicles say about Euclid?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)