|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Manto and Elisha always have a third person with them?
(a) Rufus orders it for their protection.
(b) Manto and Rufus always go everywhere together.
(c) So that Rufus will not be concerned about their relationship.
(d) Manto is uncomfortable around Elisha.
2. What does Elisha feel shamed by?
(a) By having to sit next to a harlot at the executions.
(b) By how the other rabbis beg for their lives.
(c) By the dedication of his fellow rabbis.
(d) By the idea that he caused the Jewish faith to end forever.
3. As Meir is weeping at Elisha's grave, how does Meir remember Elisha?
(a) With love and regret that Elisha's dreams had to die.
(b) With remorse and sympathy for his lost faith.
(c) As the old man who caused so much suffering.
(d) With contempt and malice for his betrayal.
4. What does Charicles say about Euclid?
(a) Euclid was correct beyond doubt.
(b) He was the greatest mind of his time.
(c) There are no proofs that Euclid was correct beyond doubt.
(d) Euclid should have been jailed for heresy.
5. Whose voice does Elisha recognize discussing cases in Jewish Law?
(a) Judah ben Sira's.
6. Who does Rufus say will sit with Elisha during the upcoming trials?
(b) His mother.
(c) A harlot.
7. How does Elisha feel about the Greek literature he has learned in his first three years in Antioch?
(a) Beneath the poetry and words there is fear and regret.
(b) That the Greek way of life is the path he is meant to follow.
(c) That he can't comprehend Greek literature fully.
(d) He hates Greek literature.
8. What feeling does Elisha experiences after his conversation with Charicles?
(a) Overwhelming remorse at having influenced Charicles so negatively.
(c) Great anger and jealousy at the popularity of Charicles.
9. Why does Elisha arrange to meet with Demonax?
(a) To arrest Demonax and take him to the proper authorities.
(b) To see if he will take Elisha on as a student.
(c) To try and convert Demonax.
(d) To see if Demonax is as superior as he claims.
10. What is Elisha amazed to find even on death row?
(a) The Jewish prisoners are on death row.
(b) The Roman soldiers treat the Jewish prisoners with dignity.
(c) The Rabbis have lost their faith.
(d) The Rabbis still believe the faith will survive.
11. What is the result of Elisha and Pappas visit with Rufus to ask him to convince the Emperor to change his plans?
(a) Rufus convinces the Emperor to change his plans.
(b) Rufus tells them that he can do nothing.
(c) Rufus tries, but fails to convince the Emperor to change his plans.
(d) Elisha insults Rufus.
12. What does Rufus do when he realizes Elisha has tried to deceive him?
(a) Strongly reprimands Elisha.
(b) Doesn't realize Elisha has deceived him.
(c) Arrests only Elisha.
(d) Arrests Elisha and Pappas.
13. How are the conditions of the jail described to Elisha?
(a) Fair conditions.
(d) Royal and plush.
14. What does Elisha realize about the peddlers as they sing their wares?
(a) They love to sing lullabies.
(b) Messages are being sent in Hebrew.
(c) They will cheat everyone out of their money.
(d) Peddlers are incoherent babblers.
15. Who encourages Elisha to publish his monograph?
(d) The librarian.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the siege on Bethar last?
2. What does Rufus say will happen to Elisha and Pappas if they do not comply?
3. How do the great sages go to their deaths?
4. When does Elisha hear Charicles the philosopher speak at Antioch?
5. When does Elisha leave the arena?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)