|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
(a) Faith is the nemesis of reason.
(b) Faith and reason coexist and comingle.
(c) Faith is more important than reason.
(d) Reason is more important than faith.
2. What does Charicles finally say about mathematics and science?
(a) They will replace faith some day.
(b) They are the laws that all men live by.
(c) They should be forbidden.
(d) They could also be myths.
3. What fate does Elisha accept?
(a) That he is a man without religion and without country.
(b) To question everything in his final moments.
(c) The fate of eternal damnation.
(d) That he will never find the answers he is searching for.
4. How are the conditions of the jail described to Elisha?
(c) Fair conditions.
(d) Royal and plush.
5. Where is Elisha taken after the executions?
(a) To Rufus.
(b) To the home of Pappas, who has been executed.
(c) To jail.
(d) To the home of Nicholaus, who cares for him.
6. What does Elisha say in response to Meir when Meir asks Elisha to come home with him?
(a) He is going to the Sanhedrin.
(b) He accepts the invitation graciously.
(c) He declines and says he is going on a long journey.
(d) He does not want to be a burden.
7. What does Meir tell Elisha about what the Sanhedrin has done?
(a) They revoked Elisha's miscommunication.
(b) That the Sanhedrin is meeting again.
(c) The Sanhedrin has been disbanded.
(d) They were destroyed by Romans.
8. When does Elisha hear Charicles the philosopher speak at Antioch?
(a) As soon as he returns to Antioch.
(b) Many years later.
(c) Before leaving Antioch for the last time.
(d) During a festival.
9. What does Rufus say will happen to Elisha and Pappas if they do not comply?
(a) They will be exiled until they change their minds.
(b) Their homes will be destroyed.
(c) They will be killed.
(d) They will be jailed.
10. What does the realization, that reason could be based in myth, do to Elisha?
(a) It kills Elisha.
(b) Rekindles Elisha's desire to seek answers.
(c) Settles what Elisha has always known.
(d) Has little effect on Elisha's overall viewpoints.
11. What does Rufus do when he realizes Elisha has tried to deceive him?
(a) Arrests only Elisha.
(b) Arrests Elisha and Pappas.
(c) Doesn't realize Elisha has deceived him.
(d) Strongly reprimands Elisha.
12. What is Elisha's great undoing?
(a) His unwillingness to compromise his views.
(b) His reasoned certainty that life is easy.
(c) His conversation with Charicles.
(d) His unwavering faith.
13. What has Akiba predicted about the Roman Empire?
(a) The Roman Empire will destroy the Jewsish faith.
(b) The Roman Empire will never fall.
(c) The Roman Empire will change some day.
(d) The Roman Empire will someday fall.
14. What feeling does Elisha experiences after his conversation with Charicles?
(a) Overwhelming remorse at having influenced Charicles so negatively.
(c) Great anger and jealousy at the popularity of Charicles.
15. What does Elisha feel shamed by?
(a) By the dedication of his fellow rabbis.
(b) By the idea that he caused the Jewish faith to end forever.
(c) By how the other rabbis beg for their lives.
(d) By having to sit next to a harlot at the executions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can Elisha's life be described?
2. After 8 years in Antioch, Elisha writes a monograph detailing what?
3. What task has Rabbi Judah ben Baba been chosen for during the meeting in the attic?
4. What does Rufus want Elisha and Pappas to do?
5. What is Elisha amazed to find even on death row?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)