|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose voice does Elisha recognize discussing cases in Jewish Law?
(d) Judah ben Sira's.
2. What is the result of Elisha and Pappas visit with Rufus to ask him to convince the Emperor to change his plans?
(a) Rufus convinces the Emperor to change his plans.
(b) Rufus tries, but fails to convince the Emperor to change his plans.
(c) Rufus tells them that he can do nothing.
(d) Elisha insults Rufus.
3. How does Charicles first feel about Elisha?
(a) He admires Elisha for his faith.
(b) Pity for Elisha's troubled life.
(c) He tries to avoid talking to him.
(d) Disgust for Elisha's reputation.
4. Why does Demonax refuse Elisha's request?
(a) He is much too busy.
(b) He does not want to be associated with Elisha.
(c) He cannot teach Elisha anything that Elisha does not already know.
(d) Elisha's request is inappropriate.
5. What has Elisha based his entire life and course of studies on?
(a) Greek and Roman literature.
(b) Business management.
(c) The fact of mathematics.
(d) Jewish traditions and values.
6. After 8 years in Antioch, Elisha writes a monograph detailing what?
(a) Elisha's study of Greek and Roman texts.
(b) Elisha's experience as a rabbi in Israel.
(c) Elisha's plan for his life studies.
(d) Elisha's life in Antioch.
7. Where do Elisha and Pappas go to meet with Rufus?
(c) The Sanhedrin.
8. When does Elisha leave the arena?
(a) The next day when the attendants find him.
(b) Before the executions.
(c) Elisha leaves only when the harlot tells him to.
(d) After the first killing.
9. What does Elisha say in response to Meir when Meir asks Elisha to come home with him?
(a) He is going to the Sanhedrin.
(b) He accepts the invitation graciously.
(c) He does not want to be a burden.
(d) He declines and says he is going on a long journey.
10. What does Rufus do when he realizes Elisha has tried to deceive him?
(a) Arrests only Elisha.
(b) Arrests Elisha and Pappas.
(c) Strongly reprimands Elisha.
(d) Doesn't realize Elisha has deceived him.
11. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
(a) Faith is more important than reason.
(b) Faith and reason coexist and comingle.
(c) Reason is more important than faith.
(d) Faith is the nemesis of reason.
12. What task has Rabbi Judah ben Baba been chosen for during the meeting in the attic?
(a) To perform the ceremony for the new rabbis.
(b) To conduct the sacrifice of a small sheep.
(c) To execute Elisha for his unbelief.
(d) To ask the Romans to leave them alone.
13. What do the people of Bethar do when they realize that the Romans will soon overrun their town?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Invite the Romans into town.
(c) Surrender to the Romans.
(d) Celebrate and prepare a grand feast.
14. What did Meir fight for concerning Elisha's death?
(a) For Elisha's excommunication to be lifted by the Sanhedrin.
(b) For Elisha's body to be cremated.
(c) Elisha's right to be buried in his town's cemetery.
(d) For Elisha's right to have a rabbi's funeral.
15. Why does Elisha arrange to meet with Demonax?
(a) To try and convert Demonax.
(b) To see if Demonax is as superior as he claims.
(c) To see if he will take Elisha on as a student.
(d) To arrest Demonax and take him to the proper authorities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elisha feel shamed by?
2. Why does Demonax recommend that Elisha see Poleman?
3. What does Charicles say about Euclid?
4. Why does Elisha return to Antioch?
5. What does Charicles finally say about mathematics and science?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)