|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Elisha and Pappas go to meet with Rufus?
(a) The Sanhedrin.
2. When does Elisha leave the arena?
(a) Elisha leaves only when the harlot tells him to.
(b) After the first killing.
(c) The next day when the attendants find him.
(d) Before the executions.
3. What does Elisha say in response to Meir when Meir asks Elisha to come home with him?
(a) He declines and says he is going on a long journey.
(b) He accepts the invitation graciously.
(c) He is going to the Sanhedrin.
(d) He does not want to be a burden.
4. What do the rabbis talk about during their meeting, other than keeping the faith alive and ordaining new rabbis?
(a) That Elisha is helping the Romans.
(b) The weather.
(c) That Elisha has grown so wise and strong in his faith.
(d) The structure of Roman architecture.
5. How does Elisha feel about his quest to seek a reasoned certainty that would explain everything, including faith?
(a) Given the chance, he would not change anything.
(b) His quest was a vital part of faith.
(c) His quest has only strengthened his commitment to faith.
(d) His quest was in vain.
6. When does Elisha hear Charicles the philosopher speak at Antioch?
(a) Many years later.
(b) Before leaving Antioch for the last time.
(c) During a festival.
(d) As soon as he returns to Antioch.
7. Where does Elisha go to escape the cold of the blizzard?
(a) The home of Pappas.
(b) The headquarters of Rufus.
(c) The Sanhedrin.
(d) The library.
8. What is Elisha amazed to find even on death row?
(a) The Rabbis still believe the faith will survive.
(b) The Rabbis have lost their faith.
(c) The Roman soldiers treat the Jewish prisoners with dignity.
(d) The Jewish prisoners are on death row.
9. How does Charicles first feel about Elisha?
(a) He tries to avoid talking to him.
(b) Pity for Elisha's troubled life.
(c) Disgust for Elisha's reputation.
(d) He admires Elisha for his faith.
10. Where is Elisha taken after the executions?
(a) To jail.
(b) To Rufus.
(c) To the home of Nicholaus, who cares for him.
(d) To the home of Pappas, who has been executed.
11. What causes Charicles to change his mind about Elisha?
(a) Charicles realizes that Elisha is a Rabbi.
(b) He hears Elisha speak.
(c) A Rabbi tells Charicles who Elisha is.
(d) Charicles never changes his mind about Elisha.
12. Where has Rufus erected his headquarters?
(a) The arena.
(c) Temple Mount.
(d) The Sanhedrin.
13. Why do Manto and Elisha always have a third person with them?
(a) Manto and Rufus always go everywhere together.
(b) So that Rufus will not be concerned about their relationship.
(c) Rufus orders it for their protection.
(d) Manto is uncomfortable around Elisha.
14. What does Charicles say about Euclid?
(a) He was the greatest mind of his time.
(b) Euclid was correct beyond doubt.
(c) Euclid should have been jailed for heresy.
(d) There are no proofs that Euclid was correct beyond doubt.
15. What do the people of Bethar do when they realize that the Romans will soon overrun their town?
(a) Celebrate and prepare a grand feast.
(b) Invite the Romans into town.
(c) Surrender to the Romans.
(d) Commit suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elisha's great undoing?
2. Why does Elisha return to Antioch?
3. How can Elisha's life be described?
4. Why do both Elisha and Pappas curtail their expenses and move to smaller apartments?
5. How long does the siege on Bethar last?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)