|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose voice does Elisha recognize discussing cases in Jewish Law?
(a) Judah ben Sira's.
2. What vow does Elisha make to Manto before she dies in his arms?
(a) He will tell Rufus she loves him.
(b) He will find Rufus and aid him in his war efforts.
(c) Nothing will stop him from completing his great project.
(d) He will love her forever.
3. What is Elisha amazed to find even on death row?
(a) The Rabbis still believe the faith will survive.
(b) The Jewish prisoners are on death row.
(c) The Roman soldiers treat the Jewish prisoners with dignity.
(d) The Rabbis have lost their faith.
4. How do the two men discuss the highest levels of philosophy?
(a) With disgust.
(b) From the standpoint of men who have great faith.
(c) As men who have devoted their lives to the study of philosophy.
(d) Without much passion or wit.
5. Why has Akiba come to Antioch to raise money for war against the Romans?
(a) The Romans killed so many jews, and burned down the temple.
(b) He has joined the Jewish rebels.
(c) Because of the Emperor's plan to turn Israel into a site for pagans.
(d) The Emperor is dedicating the temple to Jupiter.
6. After 8 years in Antioch, Elisha writes a monograph detailing what?
(a) Elisha's experience as a rabbi in Israel.
(b) Elisha's life in Antioch.
(c) Elisha's plan for his life studies.
(d) Elisha's study of Greek and Roman texts.
7. What happens after Judah ben Baba ordains the new rabbi at their secret meeting?
(a) The Romans find Judah ben Baba and kill him.
(b) Elisha talks with Judah ben Baba about logic and faith.
(c) The Persians attack Rome.
(d) Judah ben Baba flees to Morocco.
8. What has Demonax studied all available information on for years and found nothing to use?
(a) Business management.
(d) Greek literature.
9. How does Elisha feel about the Greek literature he has learned in his first three years in Antioch?
(a) That he can't comprehend Greek literature fully.
(b) That the Greek way of life is the path he is meant to follow.
(c) Beneath the poetry and words there is fear and regret.
(d) He hates Greek literature.
10. As Elisha and Pappas travel back through the lands of their birth, what do they find has become of their homes?
(a) They have been destroyed.
(b) Roman soldiers now occupy them.
(c) New families live there, and not much else has changed.
(d) They are no loger welcomed because no one knows them anymore.
11. How does Charicles first feel about Elisha?
(a) He admires Elisha for his faith.
(b) He tries to avoid talking to him.
(c) Disgust for Elisha's reputation.
(d) Pity for Elisha's troubled life.
12. How does Elisha feel about his quest to seek a reasoned certainty that would explain everything, including faith?
(a) His quest was a vital part of faith.
(b) His quest was in vain.
(c) Given the chance, he would not change anything.
(d) His quest has only strengthened his commitment to faith.
13. What information about the new rabbis reaches Elisha in Caeserea?
(a) The new rabbis are missing.
(b) He learns nothing about the new rabbis.
(c) The new rabbi's birthplaces.
(d) The new rabbi's names.
14. How does Elisha try to deceive Rufus?
(a) By poisoning Rufus during dinner.
(b) By not telling Rufus some important information about the Jews.
(c) By lying to Rufus by making up facts about the Jews.
(d) By escaping and running away.
15. Who brings Elisha the news that Manto is dying?
(b) Manto's maid.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Elisha go to escape the cold of the blizzard?
2. When does Elisha leave the arena?
3. Why does Elisha return to Antioch?
4. What is the strength of the Jewish faith expected to outlast?
5. Where is Elisha taken after the executions?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)