|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do the great sages go to their deaths?
(a) Cursing Elisha for his hand in their demise.
(b) While pleading for thier lives, and renouncing their religion.
(c) With dignity, displaying their great faith.
(d) Knowing that they cannot save the Jewish faith.
2. What happens to the new rabbis after Judah ben Baba ordains them?
(a) They refuse to teach the people.
(b) They escape from the Romans without harm.
(c) They disappear.
(d) They convert to Buddhism.
3. What does Charicles say about Euclid?
(a) He was the greatest mind of his time.
(b) Euclid was correct beyond doubt.
(c) Euclid should have been jailed for heresy.
(d) There are no proofs that Euclid was correct beyond doubt.
4. What can Meir see in his old master's eyes?
5. Why do Manto and Elisha always have a third person with them?
(a) Manto is uncomfortable around Elisha.
(b) Manto and Rufus always go everywhere together.
(c) Rufus orders it for their protection.
(d) So that Rufus will not be concerned about their relationship.
6. Why do Akiba and Elisha not speak when they meet?
(a) Akiba honors the commands of the ex-communication.
(b) Akiba and Elisha have no interest in each other.
(c) Akiba hates Elisha for what he did in Israel.
(d) Elisha is upset that Akiba did not stand by him in Israel.
7. How are the conditions of the jail described to Elisha?
(a) Fair conditions.
(d) Royal and plush.
8. How are over thirty rabbis able to meet in the attic of a friend in Lydda?
(a) They pretend to be lepers.
(b) The rabbis experience no problems and meet without disguise.
(c) They pretend to be merchants attending a market.
(d) They pretend to be old women attending a knitting party.
9. What happens when Meir and Elisha part ways?
(a) Meir swears to never tell a soul about seeing Elisha.
(b) Elisha watches Meir walk away until he can no longer be seen.
(c) Meir watches Elisha walk away until he can no longer be seen.
(d) Meir walks on with Elisha.
10. Why has Akiba come to Antioch to raise money for war against the Romans?
(a) The Emperor is dedicating the temple to Jupiter.
(b) He has joined the Jewish rebels.
(c) Because of the Emperor's plan to turn Israel into a site for pagans.
(d) The Romans killed so many jews, and burned down the temple.
11. Who brings Elisha the news that Manto is dying?
(b) Manto's maid.
12. After Elisha receives a letter of commendation from head of the museum in Alexandria, who does he rush to show the letter to?
13. How can Elisha's life be described?
(a) As one of faith, honor, and dignity.
(b) As one of controversy and dissent and of questioning and seeking truth.
(c) As a life of fear and self-loathing.
(d) As a life of shame and embarrassment.
14. Where has Rufus erected his headquarters?
(a) The arena.
(b) Temple Mount.
(c) The Sanhedrin.
15. Where is Elisha taken after the executions?
(a) To the home of Pappas, who has been executed.
(b) To the home of Nicholaus, who cares for him.
(c) To jail.
(d) To Rufus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the realization, that reason could be based in myth, do to Elisha?
2. What does Rufus do when he realizes Elisha has tried to deceive him?
3. What do the rabbis talk about during their meeting, other than keeping the faith alive and ordaining new rabbis?
4. What has Akiba predicted about the Roman Empire?
5. What does Charicles finally say about mathematics and science?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)