|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose voice does Elisha recognize discussing cases in Jewish Law?
(b) Judah ben Sira's.
2. What do the people of Bethar do when they realize that the Romans will soon overrun their town?
(a) Invite the Romans into town.
(b) Celebrate and prepare a grand feast.
(c) Surrender to the Romans.
(d) Commit suicide.
3. Why does Elisha arrange to meet with Demonax?
(a) To arrest Demonax and take him to the proper authorities.
(b) To see if Demonax is as superior as he claims.
(c) To try and convert Demonax.
(d) To see if he will take Elisha on as a student.
4. How does Elisha try to deceive Rufus?
(a) By poisoning Rufus during dinner.
(b) By lying to Rufus by making up facts about the Jews.
(c) By not telling Rufus some important information about the Jews.
(d) By escaping and running away.
5. How are the conditions of the jail described to Elisha?
(a) Fair conditions.
(c) Royal and plush.
6. How can Elisha's life be described?
(a) As a life of shame and embarrassment.
(b) As one of faith, honor, and dignity.
(c) As a life of fear and self-loathing.
(d) As one of controversy and dissent and of questioning and seeking truth.
7. What has Elisha based his entire life and course of studies on?
(a) Business management.
(b) Greek and Roman literature.
(c) Jewish traditions and values.
(d) The fact of mathematics.
8. What can Meir see in his old master's eyes?
9. What does Elisha feel shamed by?
(a) By the dedication of his fellow rabbis.
(b) By having to sit next to a harlot at the executions.
(c) By the idea that he caused the Jewish faith to end forever.
(d) By how the other rabbis beg for their lives.
10. Why do Akiba and Elisha not speak when they meet?
(a) Akiba hates Elisha for what he did in Israel.
(b) Akiba honors the commands of the ex-communication.
(c) Elisha is upset that Akiba did not stand by him in Israel.
(d) Akiba and Elisha have no interest in each other.
11. What has Demonax studied all available information on for years and found nothing to use?
(a) Greek literature.
(d) Business management.
12. Why does Elisha return to Antioch?
(a) To complete his studies.
(b) To ask Pappas for forgiveness.
(c) To end the war, and free his people.
(d) To attend the funeral of his good friend, Pappas.
13. When does Elisha hear Charicles the philosopher speak at Antioch?
(a) During a festival.
(b) As soon as he returns to Antioch.
(c) Many years later.
(d) Before leaving Antioch for the last time.
14. What does Meir tell Elisha about what the Sanhedrin has done?
(a) That the Sanhedrin is meeting again.
(b) The Sanhedrin has been disbanded.
(c) They were destroyed by Romans.
(d) They revoked Elisha's miscommunication.
15. Where is Elisha taken after the executions?
(a) To jail.
(b) To the home of Pappas, who has been executed.
(c) To the home of Nicholaus, who cares for him.
(d) To Rufus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Demonax recommend that Elisha see Poleman?
2. How are over thirty rabbis able to meet in the attic of a friend in Lydda?
3. What vow does Elisha make to Manto before she dies in his arms?
4. What is Elisha amazed to find even on death row?
5. Who does Elisha find in prison?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)