|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are over thirty rabbis able to meet in the attic of a friend in Lydda?
(a) They pretend to be merchants attending a market.
(b) They pretend to be old women attending a knitting party.
(c) The rabbis experience no problems and meet without disguise.
(d) They pretend to be lepers.
2. What does Rufus say will happen to Elisha and Pappas if they do not comply?
(a) They will be killed.
(b) They will be exiled until they change their minds.
(c) They will be jailed.
(d) Their homes will be destroyed.
3. What has Elisha based his entire life and course of studies on?
(a) Greek and Roman literature.
(b) Business management.
(c) The fact of mathematics.
(d) Jewish traditions and values.
4. What did Meir fight for concerning Elisha's death?
(a) For Elisha's excommunication to be lifted by the Sanhedrin.
(b) Elisha's right to be buried in his town's cemetery.
(c) For Elisha's right to have a rabbi's funeral.
(d) For Elisha's body to be cremated.
5. What happens to people who are caught practicing Jewish traditions and teachings?
(a) They are praised.
(b) No one is caught.
(c) They are executed.
(d) No one in the book practices Jewish traditions and teachings.
6. When does Elisha leave the arena?
(a) Elisha leaves only when the harlot tells him to.
(b) Before the executions.
(c) The next day when the attendants find him.
(d) After the first killing.
7. What is Elisha's great undoing?
(a) His unwavering faith.
(b) His conversation with Charicles.
(c) His reasoned certainty that life is easy.
(d) His unwillingness to compromise his views.
8. How long does the siege on Bethar last?
(a) Three years.
(b) Four years.
(c) It never ends.
(d) The siege never takes place.
9. What does Charicles say about Euclid?
(a) Euclid should have been jailed for heresy.
(b) Euclid was correct beyond doubt.
(c) There are no proofs that Euclid was correct beyond doubt.
(d) He was the greatest mind of his time.
10. Meir walks with Elisha until they reach the boundary which marks what?
(a) The beginning of Roman territory.
(b) The entrance to Caesarea.
(c) The separation between Jews and Romans.
(d) Where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath.
11. Why do Manto and Elisha always have a third person with them?
(a) Rufus orders it for their protection.
(b) Manto is uncomfortable around Elisha.
(c) So that Rufus will not be concerned about their relationship.
(d) Manto and Rufus always go everywhere together.
12. After Elisha receives a letter of commendation from head of the museum in Alexandria, who does he rush to show the letter to?
13. What task has Rabbi Judah ben Baba been chosen for during the meeting in the attic?
(a) To conduct the sacrifice of a small sheep.
(b) To perform the ceremony for the new rabbis.
(c) To execute Elisha for his unbelief.
(d) To ask the Romans to leave them alone.
14. What causes Charicles to change his mind about Elisha?
(a) A Rabbi tells Charicles who Elisha is.
(b) He hears Elisha speak.
(c) Charicles realizes that Elisha is a Rabbi.
(d) Charicles never changes his mind about Elisha.
15. What does Rufus do when he realizes Elisha has tried to deceive him?
(a) Strongly reprimands Elisha.
(b) Arrests Elisha and Pappas.
(c) Arrests only Elisha.
(d) Doesn't realize Elisha has deceived him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Elisha taken after the executions?
2. How does Elisha try to deceive Rufus?
3. What happens when Meir and Elisha part ways?
4. Why does Elisha return to Antioch?
5. How are the conditions of the jail described to Elisha?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)