|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to people who are caught practicing Jewish traditions and teachings?
(a) No one in the book practices Jewish traditions and teachings.
(b) They are praised.
(c) No one is caught.
(d) They are executed.
2. What does Charicles finally say about mathematics and science?
(a) They are the laws that all men live by.
(b) They will replace faith some day.
(c) They should be forbidden.
(d) They could also be myths.
3. What does Rufus do when he realizes Elisha has tried to deceive him?
(a) Arrests only Elisha.
(b) Doesn't realize Elisha has deceived him.
(c) Strongly reprimands Elisha.
(d) Arrests Elisha and Pappas.
4. What is Elisha's great undoing?
(a) His conversation with Charicles.
(b) His unwavering faith.
(c) His unwillingness to compromise his views.
(d) His reasoned certainty that life is easy.
5. After Elisha receives a letter of commendation from head of the museum in Alexandria, who does he rush to show the letter to?
6. Who does Rufus say will sit with Elisha during the upcoming trials?
(b) A harlot.
(d) His mother.
7. What information about the new rabbis reaches Elisha in Caeserea?
(a) He learns nothing about the new rabbis.
(b) The new rabbi's birthplaces.
(c) The new rabbis are missing.
(d) The new rabbi's names.
8. What fate does Elisha accept?
(a) That he is a man without religion and without country.
(b) That he will never find the answers he is searching for.
(c) The fate of eternal damnation.
(d) To question everything in his final moments.
9. What has Demonax studied all available information on for years and found nothing to use?
(b) Business management.
(c) Greek literature.
10. As Elisha and Pappas travel back through the lands of their birth, what do they find has become of their homes?
(a) New families live there, and not much else has changed.
(b) Roman soldiers now occupy them.
(c) They are no loger welcomed because no one knows them anymore.
(d) They have been destroyed.
11. Why do both Elisha and Pappas curtail their expenses and move to smaller apartments?
(a) They are trying to live more humble lives.
(b) They are saving money to help the Jews war with the Romans.
(c) They are preparing for the harsh winter.
(d) The economy of the area is devastated because of the war.
12. What feeling does Elisha experiences after his conversation with Charicles?
(a) Overwhelming remorse at having influenced Charicles so negatively.
(b) Great anger and jealousy at the popularity of Charicles.
13. What happens when Meir and Elisha part ways?
(a) Elisha watches Meir walk away until he can no longer be seen.
(b) Meir swears to never tell a soul about seeing Elisha.
(c) Meir watches Elisha walk away until he can no longer be seen.
(d) Meir walks on with Elisha.
14. What has Elisha based his entire life and course of studies on?
(a) Business management.
(b) The fact of mathematics.
(c) Greek and Roman literature.
(d) Jewish traditions and values.
15. Meir walks with Elisha until they reach the boundary which marks what?
(a) The entrance to Caesarea.
(b) Where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath.
(c) The separation between Jews and Romans.
(d) The beginning of Roman territory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the realization, that reason could be based in myth, do to Elisha?
2. How do the great sages go to their deaths?
3. What causes Charicles to change his mind about Elisha?
4. Whose voice does Elisha recognize discussing cases in Jewish Law?
5. When does Elisha hear Charicles the philosopher speak at Antioch?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)