|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can Meir see in his old master's eyes?
2. What task has Rabbi Judah ben Baba been chosen for during the meeting in the attic?
(a) To conduct the sacrifice of a small sheep.
(b) To ask the Romans to leave them alone.
(c) To perform the ceremony for the new rabbis.
(d) To execute Elisha for his unbelief.
3. Whose voice does Elisha recognize discussing cases in Jewish Law?
(c) Judah ben Sira's.
4. How do the two men discuss the highest levels of philosophy?
(a) Without much passion or wit.
(b) From the standpoint of men who have great faith.
(c) With disgust.
(d) As men who have devoted their lives to the study of philosophy.
5. What is the result of Elisha and Pappas visit with Rufus to ask him to convince the Emperor to change his plans?
(a) Rufus convinces the Emperor to change his plans.
(b) Elisha insults Rufus.
(c) Rufus tries, but fails to convince the Emperor to change his plans.
(d) Rufus tells them that he can do nothing.
6. Why does Demonax recommend that Elisha see Poleman?
(a) Poleman taught Demonax everything he knows.
(b) Poleman knows of a man who may be able to help Elisha.
(c) Poleman has questions he feels only Elisha can answer.
(d) Poleman can outline Elisha's reading for him.
7. What does Elisha realize about the peddlers as they sing their wares?
(a) Peddlers are incoherent babblers.
(b) They love to sing lullabies.
(c) They will cheat everyone out of their money.
(d) Messages are being sent in Hebrew.
8. What did Meir fight for concerning Elisha's death?
(a) For Elisha's right to have a rabbi's funeral.
(b) For Elisha's body to be cremated.
(c) For Elisha's excommunication to be lifted by the Sanhedrin.
(d) Elisha's right to be buried in his town's cemetery.
9. Who does Elisha find in prison?
(b) Joseph ben Sera.
10. How does Elisha try to deceive Rufus?
(a) By escaping and running away.
(b) By lying to Rufus by making up facts about the Jews.
(c) By poisoning Rufus during dinner.
(d) By not telling Rufus some important information about the Jews.
11. What happens when Meir and Elisha part ways?
(a) Elisha watches Meir walk away until he can no longer be seen.
(b) Meir walks on with Elisha.
(c) Meir watches Elisha walk away until he can no longer be seen.
(d) Meir swears to never tell a soul about seeing Elisha.
12. Where has Rufus erected his headquarters?
(a) The arena.
(c) Temple Mount.
(d) The Sanhedrin.
13. What feeling does Elisha experiences after his conversation with Charicles?
(a) Overwhelming remorse at having influenced Charicles so negatively.
(d) Great anger and jealousy at the popularity of Charicles.
14. What does Rufus do when he realizes Elisha has tried to deceive him?
(a) Arrests Elisha and Pappas.
(b) Doesn't realize Elisha has deceived him.
(c) Arrests only Elisha.
(d) Strongly reprimands Elisha.
15. What happens to people who are caught practicing Jewish traditions and teachings?
(a) They are praised.
(b) No one is caught.
(c) They are executed.
(d) No one in the book practices Jewish traditions and teachings.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Elisha go to escape the cold of the blizzard?
2. After 8 years in Antioch, Elisha writes a monograph detailing what?
3. Who brings Elisha the news that Manto is dying?
4. How do the great sages go to their deaths?
5. What causes Charicles to change his mind about Elisha?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)