|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What feeling does Elisha experiences after his conversation with Charicles?
(c) Overwhelming remorse at having influenced Charicles so negatively.
(d) Great anger and jealousy at the popularity of Charicles.
2. Why has Akiba come to Antioch to raise money for war against the Romans?
(a) He has joined the Jewish rebels.
(b) The Emperor is dedicating the temple to Jupiter.
(c) Because of the Emperor's plan to turn Israel into a site for pagans.
(d) The Romans killed so many jews, and burned down the temple.
3. Where is Elisha taken after the executions?
(a) To the home of Pappas, who has been executed.
(b) To the home of Nicholaus, who cares for him.
(c) To Rufus.
(d) To jail.
4. How does Elisha try to deceive Rufus?
(a) By escaping and running away.
(b) By lying to Rufus by making up facts about the Jews.
(c) By not telling Rufus some important information about the Jews.
(d) By poisoning Rufus during dinner.
5. When does Elisha hear Charicles the philosopher speak at Antioch?
(a) Many years later.
(b) During a festival.
(c) Before leaving Antioch for the last time.
(d) As soon as he returns to Antioch.
6. What does Elisha tell Meir about faith and reason?
(a) Faith is more important than reason.
(b) Reason is more important than faith.
(c) Faith is the nemesis of reason.
(d) Faith and reason coexist and comingle.
7. Where has Rufus erected his headquarters?
(a) The arena.
(b) Temple Mount.
(c) The Sanhedrin.
8. What information about the new rabbis reaches Elisha in Caeserea?
(a) He learns nothing about the new rabbis.
(b) The new rabbi's birthplaces.
(c) The new rabbis are missing.
(d) The new rabbi's names.
9. What can Meir see in his old master's eyes?
10. When does Elisha leave the arena?
(a) After the first killing.
(b) Elisha leaves only when the harlot tells him to.
(c) The next day when the attendants find him.
(d) Before the executions.
11. What vow does Elisha make to Manto before she dies in his arms?
(a) Nothing will stop him from completing his great project.
(b) He will love her forever.
(c) He will tell Rufus she loves him.
(d) He will find Rufus and aid him in his war efforts.
12. Who does Rufus say will sit with Elisha during the upcoming trials?
(a) His mother.
(d) A harlot.
13. What does Elisha feel shamed by?
(a) By having to sit next to a harlot at the executions.
(b) By the dedication of his fellow rabbis.
(c) By the idea that he caused the Jewish faith to end forever.
(d) By how the other rabbis beg for their lives.
14. Why does Elisha arrange to meet with Demonax?
(a) To see if Demonax is as superior as he claims.
(b) To see if he will take Elisha on as a student.
(c) To arrest Demonax and take him to the proper authorities.
(d) To try and convert Demonax.
15. Who encourages Elisha to publish his monograph?
(a) The librarian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rufus say will happen to Elisha and Pappas if they do not comply?
2. How does Elisha feel about the Greek literature he has learned in his first three years in Antioch?
3. Why do Akiba and Elisha not speak when they meet?
4. What do the people of Bethar do when they realize that the Romans will soon overrun their town?
5. Who brings Elisha the news that Manto is dying?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)