|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the result of Elisha and Pappas visit with Rufus to ask him to convince the Emperor to change his plans?
(a) Elisha insults Rufus.
(b) Rufus tries, but fails to convince the Emperor to change his plans.
(c) Rufus tells them that he can do nothing.
(d) Rufus convinces the Emperor to change his plans.
2. What happens to the new rabbis after Judah ben Baba ordains them?
(a) They escape from the Romans without harm.
(b) They convert to Buddhism.
(c) They refuse to teach the people.
(d) They disappear.
3. Meir walks with Elisha until they reach the boundary which marks what?
(a) The beginning of Roman territory.
(b) The entrance to Caesarea.
(c) The separation between Jews and Romans.
(d) Where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath.
4. Why has Akiba come to Antioch to raise money for war against the Romans?
(a) The Emperor is dedicating the temple to Jupiter.
(b) He has joined the Jewish rebels.
(c) Because of the Emperor's plan to turn Israel into a site for pagans.
(d) The Romans killed so many jews, and burned down the temple.
5. Who encourages Elisha to publish his monograph?
(d) The librarian.
6. How are the conditions of the jail described to Elisha?
(a) Fair conditions.
(b) Royal and plush.
7. What happens to Elisha's grave?
(a) It is destroyed by Roman soldiers.
(b) Elisha's grave is moved to Meir's town cemetery.
(c) Lightning strikes Elisha's grave.
(d) The gravestone is removed.
8. What has Elisha based his entire life and course of studies on?
(a) Greek and Roman literature.
(b) The fact of mathematics.
(c) Jewish traditions and values.
(d) Business management.
9. Why do Manto and Elisha always have a third person with them?
(a) Rufus orders it for their protection.
(b) So that Rufus will not be concerned about their relationship.
(c) Manto and Rufus always go everywhere together.
(d) Manto is uncomfortable around Elisha.
10. How can Elisha's life be described?
(a) As one of controversy and dissent and of questioning and seeking truth.
(b) As a life of shame and embarrassment.
(c) As one of faith, honor, and dignity.
(d) As a life of fear and self-loathing.
11. Who does Elisha find in prison?
(a) Joseph ben Sera.
12. Whose voice does Elisha recognize discussing cases in Jewish Law?
(d) Judah ben Sira's.
13. How does Charicles first feel about Elisha?
(a) Pity for Elisha's troubled life.
(b) He admires Elisha for his faith.
(c) He tries to avoid talking to him.
(d) Disgust for Elisha's reputation.
14. How do the two men discuss the highest levels of philosophy?
(a) As men who have devoted their lives to the study of philosophy.
(b) From the standpoint of men who have great faith.
(c) Without much passion or wit.
(d) With disgust.
15. What does Elisha say in response to Meir when Meir asks Elisha to come home with him?
(a) He is going to the Sanhedrin.
(b) He does not want to be a burden.
(c) He declines and says he is going on a long journey.
(d) He accepts the invitation graciously.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Akiba and Elisha not speak when they meet?
2. What do the rabbis talk about during their meeting, other than keeping the faith alive and ordaining new rabbis?
3. What happens to people who are caught practicing Jewish traditions and teachings?
4. Why do both Elisha and Pappas curtail their expenses and move to smaller apartments?
5. What feeling does Elisha experiences after his conversation with Charicles?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)