|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Elisha feel about his quest to seek a reasoned certainty that would explain everything, including faith?
(a) Given the chance, he would not change anything.
(b) His quest was a vital part of faith.
(c) His quest has only strengthened his commitment to faith.
(d) His quest was in vain.
2. As Meir is weeping at Elisha's grave, how does Meir remember Elisha?
(a) With love and regret that Elisha's dreams had to die.
(b) With remorse and sympathy for his lost faith.
(c) As the old man who caused so much suffering.
(d) With contempt and malice for his betrayal.
3. How does Charicles first feel about Elisha?
(a) He admires Elisha for his faith.
(b) Disgust for Elisha's reputation.
(c) He tries to avoid talking to him.
(d) Pity for Elisha's troubled life.
4. What information about the new rabbis reaches Elisha in Caeserea?
(a) He learns nothing about the new rabbis.
(b) The new rabbi's birthplaces.
(c) The new rabbis are missing.
(d) The new rabbi's names.
5. How does Elisha try to deceive Rufus?
(a) By lying to Rufus by making up facts about the Jews.
(b) By escaping and running away.
(c) By not telling Rufus some important information about the Jews.
(d) By poisoning Rufus during dinner.
6. How does Elisha feel about the Greek literature he has learned in his first three years in Antioch?
(a) Beneath the poetry and words there is fear and regret.
(b) He hates Greek literature.
(c) That the Greek way of life is the path he is meant to follow.
(d) That he can't comprehend Greek literature fully.
7. What do the people of Bethar do when they realize that the Romans will soon overrun their town?
(a) Surrender to the Romans.
(b) Invite the Romans into town.
(c) Celebrate and prepare a grand feast.
(d) Commit suicide.
8. What does Charicles say about Euclid?
(a) Euclid was correct beyond doubt.
(b) There are no proofs that Euclid was correct beyond doubt.
(c) Euclid should have been jailed for heresy.
(d) He was the greatest mind of his time.
9. What is the strength of the Jewish faith expected to outlast?
(a) The paganism practiced by the Romans.
(b) The vast studies and wisdom of the Romans and Greeks.
(c) The Jews who practice it.
(d) The war against the Jews.
10. What does Meir tell Elisha about what the Sanhedrin has done?
(a) That the Sanhedrin is meeting again.
(b) They revoked Elisha's miscommunication.
(c) They were destroyed by Romans.
(d) The Sanhedrin has been disbanded.
11. Why has Akiba come to Antioch to raise money for war against the Romans?
(a) The Emperor is dedicating the temple to Jupiter.
(b) Because of the Emperor's plan to turn Israel into a site for pagans.
(c) The Romans killed so many jews, and burned down the temple.
(d) He has joined the Jewish rebels.
12. How do the great sages go to their deaths?
(a) Knowing that they cannot save the Jewish faith.
(b) With dignity, displaying their great faith.
(c) Cursing Elisha for his hand in their demise.
(d) While pleading for thier lives, and renouncing their religion.
13. Where is Elisha taken after the executions?
(a) To jail.
(b) To the home of Pappas, who has been executed.
(c) To the home of Nicholaus, who cares for him.
(d) To Rufus.
14. As Elisha and Pappas travel back through the lands of their birth, what do they find has become of their homes?
(a) They are no loger welcomed because no one knows them anymore.
(b) They have been destroyed.
(c) New families live there, and not much else has changed.
(d) Roman soldiers now occupy them.
15. What task has Rabbi Judah ben Baba been chosen for during the meeting in the attic?
(a) To perform the ceremony for the new rabbis.
(b) To conduct the sacrifice of a small sheep.
(c) To ask the Romans to leave them alone.
(d) To execute Elisha for his unbelief.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elisha find in prison?
2. What does Elisha say in response to Meir when Meir asks Elisha to come home with him?
3. Who encourages Elisha to publish his monograph?
4. What causes Charicles to change his mind about Elisha?
5. What happens when Meir and Elisha part ways?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)