|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Demonax studied all available information on for years and found nothing to use?
(b) Business management.
(d) Greek literature.
2. As Meir is weeping at Elisha's grave, how does Meir remember Elisha?
(a) With remorse and sympathy for his lost faith.
(b) With contempt and malice for his betrayal.
(c) With love and regret that Elisha's dreams had to die.
(d) As the old man who caused so much suffering.
3. Why do Manto and Elisha always have a third person with them?
(a) Manto and Rufus always go everywhere together.
(b) Manto is uncomfortable around Elisha.
(c) Rufus orders it for their protection.
(d) So that Rufus will not be concerned about their relationship.
4. How are the conditions of the jail described to Elisha?
(c) Fair conditions.
(d) Royal and plush.
5. What does Elisha say in response to Meir when Meir asks Elisha to come home with him?
(a) He accepts the invitation graciously.
(b) He declines and says he is going on a long journey.
(c) He is going to the Sanhedrin.
(d) He does not want to be a burden.
6. What causes Charicles to change his mind about Elisha?
(a) Charicles realizes that Elisha is a Rabbi.
(b) A Rabbi tells Charicles who Elisha is.
(c) He hears Elisha speak.
(d) Charicles never changes his mind about Elisha.
7. How does Elisha try to deceive Rufus?
(a) By poisoning Rufus during dinner.
(b) By lying to Rufus by making up facts about the Jews.
(c) By not telling Rufus some important information about the Jews.
(d) By escaping and running away.
8. What happens to people who are caught practicing Jewish traditions and teachings?
(a) No one in the book practices Jewish traditions and teachings.
(b) They are executed.
(c) They are praised.
(d) No one is caught.
9. What happens after Judah ben Baba ordains the new rabbi at their secret meeting?
(a) Judah ben Baba flees to Morocco.
(b) The Romans find Judah ben Baba and kill him.
(c) The Persians attack Rome.
(d) Elisha talks with Judah ben Baba about logic and faith.
10. What feeling does Elisha experiences after his conversation with Charicles?
(c) Overwhelming remorse at having influenced Charicles so negatively.
(d) Great anger and jealousy at the popularity of Charicles.
11. Why do both Elisha and Pappas curtail their expenses and move to smaller apartments?
(a) They are preparing for the harsh winter.
(b) The economy of the area is devastated because of the war.
(c) They are saving money to help the Jews war with the Romans.
(d) They are trying to live more humble lives.
12. After Elisha receives a letter of commendation from head of the museum in Alexandria, who does he rush to show the letter to?
13. What does the realization, that reason could be based in myth, do to Elisha?
(a) Settles what Elisha has always known.
(b) It kills Elisha.
(c) Rekindles Elisha's desire to seek answers.
(d) Has little effect on Elisha's overall viewpoints.
14. How does Charicles first feel about Elisha?
(a) He tries to avoid talking to him.
(b) He admires Elisha for his faith.
(c) Pity for Elisha's troubled life.
(d) Disgust for Elisha's reputation.
15. What does Elisha ask of Rufus in return for his cooperation?
(a) To stop the war.
(b) To destroy the Sanhedrin.
(c) To not kill Pappas.
(d) To forgive him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rufus want Elisha and Pappas to do?
2. What is the strength of the Jewish faith expected to outlast?
3. What did Meir fight for concerning Elisha's death?
4. How can Elisha's life be described?
5. What does Charicles say about Euclid?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)