|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the strength of the Jewish faith expected to outlast?
(a) The war against the Jews.
(b) The Jews who practice it.
(c) The paganism practiced by the Romans.
(d) The vast studies and wisdom of the Romans and Greeks.
2. Why does Elisha arrange to meet with Demonax?
(a) To see if he will take Elisha on as a student.
(b) To try and convert Demonax.
(c) To arrest Demonax and take him to the proper authorities.
(d) To see if Demonax is as superior as he claims.
3. What does Elisha say in response to Meir when Meir asks Elisha to come home with him?
(a) He does not want to be a burden.
(b) He accepts the invitation graciously.
(c) He declines and says he is going on a long journey.
(d) He is going to the Sanhedrin.
4. What is Elisha amazed to find even on death row?
(a) The Roman soldiers treat the Jewish prisoners with dignity.
(b) The Rabbis still believe the faith will survive.
(c) The Jewish prisoners are on death row.
(d) The Rabbis have lost their faith.
5. Where is Elisha taken after the executions?
(a) To the home of Pappas, who has been executed.
(b) To the home of Nicholaus, who cares for him.
(c) To Rufus.
(d) To jail.
6. What happens to the new rabbis after Judah ben Baba ordains them?
(a) They refuse to teach the people.
(b) They disappear.
(c) They escape from the Romans without harm.
(d) They convert to Buddhism.
7. Why does Demonax refuse Elisha's request?
(a) He is much too busy.
(b) Elisha's request is inappropriate.
(c) He does not want to be associated with Elisha.
(d) He cannot teach Elisha anything that Elisha does not already know.
8. What do the people of Bethar do when they realize that the Romans will soon overrun their town?
(a) Invite the Romans into town.
(b) Celebrate and prepare a grand feast.
(c) Commit suicide.
(d) Surrender to the Romans.
9. How are the conditions of the jail described to Elisha?
(c) Royal and plush.
(d) Fair conditions.
10. What does the realization, that reason could be based in myth, do to Elisha?
(a) Settles what Elisha has always known.
(b) Has little effect on Elisha's overall viewpoints.
(c) Rekindles Elisha's desire to seek answers.
(d) It kills Elisha.
11. What happens when Meir and Elisha part ways?
(a) Meir watches Elisha walk away until he can no longer be seen.
(b) Elisha watches Meir walk away until he can no longer be seen.
(c) Meir walks on with Elisha.
(d) Meir swears to never tell a soul about seeing Elisha.
12. What can Meir see in his old master's eyes?
13. Why do Manto and Elisha always have a third person with them?
(a) Manto is uncomfortable around Elisha.
(b) Manto and Rufus always go everywhere together.
(c) So that Rufus will not be concerned about their relationship.
(d) Rufus orders it for their protection.
14. Meir walks with Elisha until they reach the boundary which marks what?
(a) The entrance to Caesarea.
(b) The beginning of Roman territory.
(c) Where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath.
(d) The separation between Jews and Romans.
15. How does Elisha try to deceive Rufus?
(a) By not telling Rufus some important information about the Jews.
(b) By escaping and running away.
(c) By lying to Rufus by making up facts about the Jews.
(d) By poisoning Rufus during dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rufus want Elisha and Pappas to do?
2. Who encourages Elisha to publish his monograph?
3. What do the Roman reinforcements bring with them?
4. As Elisha and Pappas travel back through the lands of their birth, what do they find has become of their homes?
5. What has Akiba predicted about the Roman Empire?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)