|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Elisha encounter on the road to Caesarea?
(c) Roman soldiers.
2. How do the two men discuss the highest levels of philosophy?
(a) From the standpoint of men who have great faith.
(b) As men who have devoted their lives to the study of philosophy.
(c) With disgust.
(d) Without much passion or wit.
3. Where do Elisha and Pappas go to meet with Rufus?
(b) The Sanhedrin.
4. What does Meir tell Elisha about what the Sanhedrin has done?
(a) They were destroyed by Romans.
(b) The Sanhedrin has been disbanded.
(c) They revoked Elisha's miscommunication.
(d) That the Sanhedrin is meeting again.
5. What happens to people who are caught practicing Jewish traditions and teachings?
(a) No one in the book practices Jewish traditions and teachings.
(b) They are praised.
(c) They are executed.
(d) No one is caught.
6. Whose voice does Elisha recognize discussing cases in Jewish Law?
(d) Judah ben Sira's.
7. How long does the siege on Bethar last?
(a) Three years.
(b) Four years.
(c) It never ends.
(d) The siege never takes place.
8. What do the rabbis talk about during their meeting, other than keeping the faith alive and ordaining new rabbis?
(a) That Elisha has grown so wise and strong in his faith.
(b) The structure of Roman architecture.
(c) The weather.
(d) That Elisha is helping the Romans.
9. What does Rufus want Elisha and Pappas to do?
(a) To inform him about the Jews.
(b) To send a message to Israel.
(c) To fight along side the Romans.
(d) To stay with him at his headquarters for their safety.
10. Why has Akiba come to Antioch to raise money for war against the Romans?
(a) The Emperor is dedicating the temple to Jupiter.
(b) He has joined the Jewish rebels.
(c) Because of the Emperor's plan to turn Israel into a site for pagans.
(d) The Romans killed so many jews, and burned down the temple.
11. Meir walks with Elisha until they reach the boundary which marks what?
(a) Where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath.
(b) The separation between Jews and Romans.
(c) The entrance to Caesarea.
(d) The beginning of Roman territory.
12. What do the people of Bethar do when they realize that the Romans will soon overrun their town?
(a) Commit suicide.
(b) Surrender to the Romans.
(c) Celebrate and prepare a grand feast.
(d) Invite the Romans into town.
13. How does Elisha feel about his quest to seek a reasoned certainty that would explain everything, including faith?
(a) His quest was in vain.
(b) His quest was a vital part of faith.
(c) Given the chance, he would not change anything.
(d) His quest has only strengthened his commitment to faith.
14. Why does Elisha arrange to meet with Demonax?
(a) To arrest Demonax and take him to the proper authorities.
(b) To see if he will take Elisha on as a student.
(c) To see if Demonax is as superior as he claims.
(d) To try and convert Demonax.
15. How can Elisha's life be described?
(a) As one of controversy and dissent and of questioning and seeking truth.
(b) As one of faith, honor, and dignity.
(c) As a life of fear and self-loathing.
(d) As a life of shame and embarrassment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Akiba and Elisha not speak when they meet?
2. Where does Elisha go to begin his work for the Romans?
3. What does the realization, that reason could be based in myth, do to Elisha?
4. What feeling does Elisha experiences after his conversation with Charicles?
5. Why does Demonax refuse Elisha's request?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)