|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Elisha and Pappas travel back through the lands of their birth, what do they find has become of their homes?
(a) They are no loger welcomed because no one knows them anymore.
(b) Roman soldiers now occupy them.
(c) They have been destroyed.
(d) New families live there, and not much else has changed.
2. Where does Elisha go to begin his work for the Romans?
(b) The library.
3. Why do both Elisha and Pappas curtail their expenses and move to smaller apartments?
(a) They are saving money to help the Jews war with the Romans.
(b) The economy of the area is devastated because of the war.
(c) They are preparing for the harsh winter.
(d) They are trying to live more humble lives.
4. What do the rabbis talk about during their meeting, other than keeping the faith alive and ordaining new rabbis?
(a) That Elisha is helping the Romans.
(b) The weather.
(c) That Elisha has grown so wise and strong in his faith.
(d) The structure of Roman architecture.
5. What did Meir fight for concerning Elisha's death?
(a) For Elisha's body to be cremated.
(b) For Elisha's excommunication to be lifted by the Sanhedrin.
(c) For Elisha's right to have a rabbi's funeral.
(d) Elisha's right to be buried in his town's cemetery.
6. What feeling does Elisha experiences after his conversation with Charicles?
(b) Great anger and jealousy at the popularity of Charicles.
(c) Overwhelming remorse at having influenced Charicles so negatively.
7. Meir walks with Elisha until they reach the boundary which marks what?
(a) The beginning of Roman territory.
(b) The separation between Jews and Romans.
(c) The entrance to Caesarea.
(d) Where Jews are not allowed to cross on the Sabbath.
8. What does Elisha say in response to Meir when Meir asks Elisha to come home with him?
(a) He does not want to be a burden.
(b) He accepts the invitation graciously.
(c) He is going to the Sanhedrin.
(d) He declines and says he is going on a long journey.
9. What does Elisha realize about the peddlers as they sing their wares?
(a) They will cheat everyone out of their money.
(b) They love to sing lullabies.
(c) Peddlers are incoherent babblers.
(d) Messages are being sent in Hebrew.
10. What happens to people who are caught practicing Jewish traditions and teachings?
(a) No one in the book practices Jewish traditions and teachings.
(b) No one is caught.
(c) They are executed.
(d) They are praised.
11. Who does Rufus say will sit with Elisha during the upcoming trials?
(a) His mother.
(c) A harlot.
12. Why does Elisha arrange to meet with Demonax?
(a) To see if he will take Elisha on as a student.
(b) To see if Demonax is as superior as he claims.
(c) To try and convert Demonax.
(d) To arrest Demonax and take him to the proper authorities.
13. How can Elisha's life be described?
(a) As one of controversy and dissent and of questioning and seeking truth.
(b) As a life of fear and self-loathing.
(c) As a life of shame and embarrassment.
(d) As one of faith, honor, and dignity.
14. What is the result of Elisha and Pappas visit with Rufus to ask him to convince the Emperor to change his plans?
(a) Elisha insults Rufus.
(b) Rufus tries, but fails to convince the Emperor to change his plans.
(c) Rufus tells them that he can do nothing.
(d) Rufus convinces the Emperor to change his plans.
15. Why do Manto and Elisha always have a third person with them?
(a) So that Rufus will not be concerned about their relationship.
(b) Manto is uncomfortable around Elisha.
(c) Manto and Rufus always go everywhere together.
(d) Rufus orders it for their protection.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Elisha return to Antioch?
2. Why has Akiba come to Antioch to raise money for war against the Romans?
3. As Meir is weeping at Elisha's grave, how does Meir remember Elisha?
4. What do the Roman reinforcements bring with them?
5. What happens after Judah ben Baba ordains the new rabbi at their secret meeting?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)