|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Elisha's trial period as a sage apprentice is over, what does he decide to do?
(a) He chooses to continue his training with Joshua.
(b) He swims in the Red Sea and drowns.
(c) He runs away from Uncle Amram.
(d) He returns home and learns carpentry with Pappas.
2. Where does Elisha suspect the real truth lies?
(a) The Sanhedrin, tradition, and ancient scriptures.
(b) Science, math, or philosophy.
(c) Math, english, and religion.
(d) Logic, reason, and astrology.
3. What happens to Eliezer's proposal concerning the ban against pagan literature?
(a) It is adopted and set into motion.
(b) It creates a tie in the Sanhedrin.
(c) It is laughed out of court.
(d) It is voted down.
4. What does Elisha realize about his two years of study and the knowledge he has gleaned?
(a) He needs to study harder.
(b) He must quit studying.
(c) It has not supplied the answers he so desperately needs.
(d) It has fulfilled all his expectations.
5. After sitting as an observer and Joshua's apprentice at Sanhedrin, what happened to Elisha?
(a) Elisha moves to Italy.
(b) Elisha leaves his wife.
(c) Elisha becomes a Bishop.
(d) Elisha is ordained as a Rabbi.
6. What does Elisha accidentally do in Jewish academy class one day?
(a) Drops a Greek scroll in class.
(b) Sets fire to the scrolls in class.
(c) Trips over a student.
(d) Slams his fingers in the door.
7. Who tells Elisha that there are rebels among the Jews?
(b) Uncle Amram.
(c) Rabbi Peter.
(d) Rabbi Joshua.
8. What does Elisha say to the other rabbis after they witness a boy fall from a tree and die?
(a) That the father of the boy be put on trial for negligence.
(b) That there is no God.
(c) That he is to leave this world, immediately.
(d) That it was all a part of God's divine plan.
9. What type of teaching does Amram follow in his life, and how important is it to him?
(a) Amram is an unrelenting zealot in the Greek tradition.
(b) Amram is an atheist.
(c) Amram follows both the Greek and Jewish teachings.
(d) Amram is an unrelenting zealot in the Jewish tradition.
10. How does Elisha try to console Deborah after she becomes pregnant twice and loses both babies?
(a) Elisha prepares a meal for her.
(b) Elisha buys her a servant girl.
(c) Elisha offers to take her to a feast.
(d) Elisha holds her hand in the garden.
11. What does Elisha tell Meir's wife?
(a) She should run away with him.
(b) He does not appreciate her advances toward him.
(c) She has married an awful husband.
(d) He loves her.
12. Who arrives at the Temple Mount to stop the work on the rebuilding of the Temple?
(a) The Sanhedrin.
(c) The Roman cavalry.
13. On his next journey, when Elisha stops in a small town what does he see?
(a) A temple being built.
(b) A small girl dying on the street.
(c) A magician doing magic tricks.
(d) A washerwoman break her leg.
14. Why is Elisha overcome with discontent when he visits with Meir and Beruriah?
(a) They tell him that the Sanhedrin will indict him.
(b) He lacks the proper education to study Greek literature well.
(c) Meir and Beruriah mock Elisha for his educational background.
(d) They tell Elisha that they can no longer see him.
15. How is Elisha welcomed when he arrives at the home of Pappas in Antioch?
(a) Pappas refuses to let Elisha in his home unless he accepts God.
(b) He is welcomed warmly.
(c) He arrives to find Pappas does not recognize Elisha.
(d) Pappas tells Elisha how ashamed of Elisha he is for running away.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Elisha is notified that he is now a candidate for ordination, Deborah insists what of the servants?
2. Who arranges that Elisha be released from jail?
3. Who is the confusing and angry man Elisha meets at dinner before he meets Simeon ben Azzai and Simeon ben Zoma?
4. How does Elisha begins his life as a Rabbi?
5. Where does the plague strike?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)