|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Palestine learns of Trajan's edict that the Temple may be rebuilt?
(a) Palestine mourns.
(b) Palestine petitions for the decision to be reversed.
(c) Palestine businesses close down.
(d) Money pours in from the Jewish people.
2. Why does Deborah encourage Elisha to curry the Shraga's favor?
(a) She is concerned the Shraga might prevent his ordination.
(b) She is concerned the Shraga wants to take Elisha away from her.
(c) She wants Elisha to become Shraga's disciple.
(d) She wants the Shraga to give Elisha more servants.
3. Once Elisha surveys the desolation at the Temple Mount, what does he tell Joshua?
(a) That he is glad the rebuilding of the Temple will happen soon.
(b) That he is divorcing Deborah.
(c) That he does not believe in God.
(d) That he does not think the rebuilding will ever happen.
4. What is the origin of Theo's name?
5. While the seventy sages of the Sanhedrin are in session, who raises the question about whether a man should use Greek books and letters to read and study?
(a) A Rabbi.
(c) The Patriarch.
6. What happens when Elisha goes to Manto's home when she is alone?
(a) They discuss the arena where men and lions kill each other.
(b) Manto tells Elisha that Rufus is planning on killing him.
(c) They consummate their love for one another.
(d) Elisha tells Manto he must leave Antioch.
7. What does Elisha's life revolve around once he begins his studies?
(b) Greek and Roman mythology.
8. What does Nicholaus tell Elisha when Elisha says he cannot repress his feelings and obsession with finding the truth?
(a) He will report him to the authorities.
(b) He will stand by him as a friend.
(c) Their friendship is over.
(d) They must only meet secretly from now on.
9. How old is Elisha when he gets married?
10. Before leaving the garden, Akiba pleads with Elisha to do what?
(a) Stop the executions.
(b) Turn back before everything is lost.
(c) Take Deborah back.
(d) Stay true to his quest for truth.
11. How does Elisha respond when Deborah is trying to renew her marriage with him?
(a) Elisha is overjoyed, and decides they should be together.
(b) Elisha tells Deborah that he still loves her, but the cannot be together.
(c) Elisha tells Deborah he is leaving forever.
(d) Elisha is despondent and does not respond.
12. What do Deborah's behavior and actions at the feast make very clear about her character?
(a) That she is warm and genuine.
(b) That she is very temperamental.
(c) That she values wealth more than friendship.
(d) That she is in love with Pappas.
13. How does Elisha begins his life as a Rabbi?
(a) Judging in Usha.
(b) Giving up all his possessions.
(c) Helping widows and children.
(d) By signing documents.
14. Why does Amram decide not to let Elisha become married to Theo?
(a) Because Theo's family is part Greek.
(b) Amram knows that Elisha is in love with Deborah.
(c) Deborah's family is much wealthier than Theo's.
(d) Amram thinks Theo distracts Elisha from his studies.
15. Why does Manto say it is impossible for her to marry Elisha?
(a) She would be looked down upon by her friends.
(b) She does not love him.
(c) She cannot leave her lifestyle.
(d) She is happily married to Rufus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Elisha want to seek out to answer his questions?
2. Who attends lecture and symposia with Elisha?
3. Where are Elisha and Pappas going when they run into Theo?
4. Why has Elisha been called to return to Israel?
5. Which renewed friend provides Elisha with a cover to get the books he needs?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)