|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Elisha welcomed when he arrives at the home of Pappas in Antioch?
(a) Pappas tells Elisha how ashamed of Elisha he is for running away.
(b) He is welcomed warmly.
(c) He arrives to find Pappas does not recognize Elisha.
(d) Pappas refuses to let Elisha in his home unless he accepts God.
2. What news does Pappas return to Antioch with?
(a) Deborah wants to reconcile.
(b) The Sanhedrin does not want to extradite Elisha, and Joshua is dead.
(c) The Sanhedrin now studies Greek and Roman literature.
(d) Deborah wants a divorce, and Joshua has become ill.
3. What did Elisha's best friends do because they were manipulated by Elisha?
(a) Rebuilt the Temple.
(b) Devised new methods to counteract the Sanhedrin.
(c) Helped him learn more Greek knowledge.
(d) Built a government based on Greek law.
4. Why does the Sanhedrin send a delegation to Rome?
(a) Roman soldiers are traveling to close to the Sanhedrin.
(b) The Sanhedrin is concerned about rebel Jews.
(c) Rome has threatened to rebuild the temple for the Jews.
(d) The Sanhedrin is asking to rebuild their temple.
5. When Elisha is going back to Nicholaus, what does he overhear his father say to Uncle Amram?
(a) He worries Elisha does not believe in miracles.
(b) He does not think Elisha studies hard enough.
(c) He does not believe in the miracle of the parting of the Red Sea.
(d) He thinks he should take over direction of Elisha's studies.
6. Which renewed friend provides Elisha with a cover to get the books he needs?
(d) Uncle Amram.
7. What sort of people does Elisha find himself in the company of after accepting an invitation to dinner by one of the rhetoricians?
(a) Polite and well educated.
(b) Both religious zealots and scientists.
(c) Hedonistic and self centered.
(d) Rabbis and sages.
8. What happens when Elisha goes to Manto's home when she is alone?
(a) Elisha tells Manto he must leave Antioch.
(b) Manto tells Elisha that Rufus is planning on killing him.
(c) They consummate their love for one another.
(d) They discuss the arena where men and lions kill each other.
9. What is the result of the three years of instruction Elisha receives from Amram after his father's death?
(a) Elisha becomes thoroughly Jewish in practice and appearance, yet not in thought.
(b) Elisha begins his training to become a rabbi and sage.
(c) Elisha renounces his Jewish faith.
(d) Elisha becomes thoroughly Jewish in practice, appearance, and thought.
10. Why is Tobias, Elisha's steward, furious with Pappas and Elisha for their conversation with the Romans?
(a) Because now the boys want to be Romans.
(b) Because the Romans caused the boys to come home late.
(c) Because the Romans murdered many Jews and destroyed the Temple.
(d) Because the boys weren't respectful enough to the Romans.
11. Why has Elisha been called to return to Israel?
(a) To reforge the bond with his wife.
(b) To attend the funeral of Nicholaus.
(c) To stand trial.
(d) To lecture a class in an academy on the importance of truth in faith.
12. Where does Uncle Amram take Elisha to begin his training to become a rabbi and sage?
(a) The Home of Pappas.
(c) The Home of Rabbi Joshua.
(d) The Red Sea.
13. When Abuyah dies, who burns all the books and documents that are not Jewish?
(b) Uncle Amram.
14. What gift does Elisha receive from Pappas?
(a) A Greek book.
(b) An expensive lamp.
(c) Old, ancient scrolls.
(d) A ring.
15. Does Abuyah consort with pagan philosophers and read Greek books?
(a) Sometimes, but he hides his beliefs from everyone.
(c) When he was younger, but he does not do so anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elisha's obsession with truth has caused what to dissolve?
2. Who does Elisha try to find in the pagan part of Caeserea?
3. Whose mother dies soon after childbirth?
4. Before leaving the garden, Akiba pleads with Elisha to do what?
5. What does Elisha think about his new wife after the week-long festival?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)