|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elisha's obsession with truth has caused what to dissolve?
(a) Elisha's marriage has begun to disintegrate.
(b) Elisha's sanity has completely left.
(c) Elisha's stores of money have dissolved.
(d) Some of Elisha's friendships have begun to dissolve.
2. What happens to Eliezer's proposal concerning the ban against pagan literature?
(a) It is voted down.
(b) It is laughed out of court.
(c) It is adopted and set into motion.
(d) It creates a tie in the Sanhedrin.
3. When Elisha is going back to Nicholaus, what does he overhear his father say to Uncle Amram?
(a) He does not believe in the miracle of the parting of the Red Sea.
(b) He worries Elisha does not believe in miracles.
(c) He thinks he should take over direction of Elisha's studies.
(d) He does not think Elisha studies hard enough.
4. When Elisha is notified that he is now a candidate for ordination, Deborah insists what of the servants?
(a) She insists they call Elisha, Rabbi.
(b) She insists they prepare a feast for themselves.
(c) She insists they take a week off.
(d) She insists they kneel before Elisha.
5. Who tells Elisha Pappas is not good company for him, and that he should not be reading Greek books?
(d) Uncle Amram.
6. What news does Pappas return to Antioch with?
(a) Deborah wants a divorce, and Joshua has become ill.
(b) Deborah wants to reconcile.
(c) The Sanhedrin now studies Greek and Roman literature.
(d) The Sanhedrin does not want to extradite Elisha, and Joshua is dead.
7. Who arrives at the Temple Mount to stop the work on the rebuilding of the Temple?
(c) The Sanhedrin.
(d) The Roman cavalry.
8. What sort of people does Elisha find himself in the company of after accepting an invitation to dinner by one of the rhetoricians?
(a) Both religious zealots and scientists.
(b) Rabbis and sages.
(c) Polite and well educated.
(d) Hedonistic and self centered.
9. How does Elisha feel about the subject of human trading?
(b) He considers it a necessary evil.
(d) He plans to pursue it as a future career.
10. Who arrives on a Roman ship at the port of Antioch?
(b) A delegation of the Sanhedrin.
11. How does Elisha plan to defend himself to the Sanhedrin?
(a) He will ask his friends to testify for his faith and character.
(b) He intends on asking for forgiveness.
(c) He will explain how he built his faith on a foundation of truth.
(d) He does not plan to defend himself.
12. Why is Elisha overcome with discontent when he visits with Meir and Beruriah?
(a) Meir and Beruriah mock Elisha for his educational background.
(b) They tell him that the Sanhedrin will indict him.
(c) They tell Elisha that they can no longer see him.
(d) He lacks the proper education to study Greek literature well.
13. Who does Elisha try to find in the pagan part of Caeserea?
(a) A bookseller.
(b) A carpenter.
(c) A magician.
(d) His old tutor.
14. What is the result of the three years of instruction Elisha receives from Amram after his father's death?
(a) Elisha renounces his Jewish faith.
(b) Elisha becomes thoroughly Jewish in practice and appearance, yet not in thought.
(c) Elisha becomes thoroughly Jewish in practice, appearance, and thought.
(d) Elisha begins his training to become a rabbi and sage.
15. How does Elisha try to console Deborah after she becomes pregnant twice and loses both babies?
(a) Elisha buys her a servant girl.
(b) Elisha offers to take her to a feast.
(c) Elisha holds her hand in the garden.
(d) Elisha prepares a meal for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Soon after Elisha's conversation, a rider comes into town with what news?
2. Who stands up against the leader of the rebels?
3. What happens when Elisha goes to Manto's home when she is alone?
4. How do the deaths from the plague affect Elisha?
5. How does Elisha respond when Deborah is trying to renew her marriage with him?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)