|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the confusing and angry man Elisha meets at dinner before he meets Simeon ben Azzai and Simeon ben Zoma?
(a) Azzar, an old carpenter.
(b) Shraga, a rebellious and almost insane fighter for the Jews.
(c) Zion, a young rabbi.
(d) Josef, a member of the Sanhedrin.
2. What do the workers, numbering over 500, want to do after the command to leave?
(a) Stay and fight.
(b) Pretend they do not hear the command.
(c) Go home to their families.
(d) Gladly leave.
3. Who does Elisha try to find in the pagan part of Caeserea?
(a) A bookseller.
(b) A magician.
(c) A carpenter.
(d) His old tutor.
4. How is Elisha welcomed when he arrives at the home of Pappas in Antioch?
(a) He is welcomed warmly.
(b) Pappas refuses to let Elisha in his home unless he accepts God.
(c) He arrives to find Pappas does not recognize Elisha.
(d) Pappas tells Elisha how ashamed of Elisha he is for running away.
5. What did rabbi Joshua do when the ex-communication of Elisha was read at Sanhedrin?
(a) Left the Sanhedrin in anguish over his friends misfortune.
(b) Said he knew of Elisha's Greek studies.
(c) Introduced an interdict on Greek studies.
(d) Said he would go to Antioch and find Elisha by himself.
6. Why does Amram decide not to let Elisha become married to Theo?
(a) Amram knows that Elisha is in love with Deborah.
(b) Because Theo's family is part Greek.
(c) Deborah's family is much wealthier than Theo's.
(d) Amram thinks Theo distracts Elisha from his studies.
7. Why is Rabbi Johannan amazed that Elisha is studying to become a rabbi?
(a) Because Elisha is a lay carpenter.
(b) Because Elisha's father had strong sympathies for the Greek.
(c) Because Elisha is a Greek.
(d) Because Elisha isn't intelligent enough to handle the job.
8. What is Elisha's new plan concerning the Jews and Christians who believe differently than the traditional Jewish doctrine?
(a) To visit their churches and speak with their leaders.
(b) To report their inauthentic teachings to the Romans.
(c) To report their inauthentic teachings to the Sanhedrin.
(d) To eliminate all Jews and Christians who believe.
9. What idea does Elisha present to his friends about Greek literature?
(a) That the Sanhedrin tax owners of Greek literature.
(b) Studying it could help people forget their faith.
(c) That they burn all Greek literature.
(d) Studying it could help counter debate.
10. What impresses Elisha about the Roman court system?
(a) The efficiency and professionalism.
(b) The expansive Greek reference library adjacent to the courtroom.
(c) The complete lack of prejudice against jewish people.
(d) The lavish adornments, and the beautiful architecture.
11. When Pappas finds Elisha alone in the garden, what does he tell him?
(a) That he wishes to move in with Elisha.
(b) That he loves Deborah.
(c) That he is moving to Antioch.
(d) That he is betrothed to Theo.
12. What does Elisha tell Meir's wife?
(a) She should run away with him.
(b) She has married an awful husband.
(c) He loves her.
(d) He does not appreciate her advances toward him.
13. Who takes over Elisha's circumcision ceremony at the absence of Abuyah?
(a) Uncle Amram.
14. Elisha's obsession with truth has caused what to dissolve?
(a) Elisha's marriage has begun to disintegrate.
(b) Elisha's sanity has completely left.
(c) Elisha's stores of money have dissolved.
(d) Some of Elisha's friendships have begun to dissolve.
15. What happens when Palestine learns of Trajan's edict that the Temple may be rebuilt?
(a) Palestine mourns.
(b) Palestine petitions for the decision to be reversed.
(c) Money pours in from the Jewish people.
(d) Palestine businesses close down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the small delegation of the Sanhedrin sages alarmed by?
2. Whose mother dies soon after childbirth?
3. What did Elisha's best friends do because they were manipulated by Elisha?
4. Why has Elisha been called to return to Israel?
5. Why does the Sanhedrin send a delegation to Rome?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)