|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Pappas go back to Israel?
(a) To bring Deborah back to Antioch with him.
(b) To ask rabbi Joshua for advice concerning Elisha.
(c) To extract a message of intent from the Sanhedrin concerning Elisha.
(d) To inform the Sanhedrin that Elisha has no intent to return to Israel.
2. What did rabbi Joshua do when the ex-communication of Elisha was read at Sanhedrin?
(a) Introduced an interdict on Greek studies.
(b) Said he would go to Antioch and find Elisha by himself.
(c) Left the Sanhedrin in anguish over his friends misfortune.
(d) Said he knew of Elisha's Greek studies.
3. How does Elisha try to console Deborah after she becomes pregnant twice and loses both babies?
(a) Elisha prepares a meal for her.
(b) Elisha offers to take her to a feast.
(c) Elisha buys her a servant girl.
(d) Elisha holds her hand in the garden.
4. How does Elisha respond when Deborah is trying to renew her marriage with him?
(a) Elisha tells Deborah that he still loves her, but the cannot be together.
(b) Elisha is overjoyed, and decides they should be together.
(c) Elisha tells Deborah he is leaving forever.
(d) Elisha is despondent and does not respond.
5. How does Elisha plan to defend himself to the Sanhedrin?
(a) He does not plan to defend himself.
(b) He will explain how he built his faith on a foundation of truth.
(c) He intends on asking for forgiveness.
(d) He will ask his friends to testify for his faith and character.
6. Who is the confusing and angry man Elisha meets at dinner before he meets Simeon ben Azzai and Simeon ben Zoma?
(a) Josef, a member of the Sanhedrin.
(b) Azzar, an old carpenter.
(c) Shraga, a rebellious and almost insane fighter for the Jews.
(d) Zion, a young rabbi.
7. Why does Manto say it is impossible for her to marry Elisha?
(a) She does not love him.
(b) She would be looked down upon by her friends.
(c) She cannot leave her lifestyle.
(d) She is happily married to Rufus.
8. To which court does the the merchant take his case, after he leaves the Jewish court?
(a) The merchant drops the case.
(b) The Grecian court.
(c) The Elysian court.
(d) The Roman court.
9. What does Manto decide Elisha should do, after she becomes involved in his quest?
(a) Go back to Israel and stand trial.
(b) Flee before his troubles worsen.
(c) Refuse to oppose the Sanhedrin.
(d) Be tutored by Antiphanes.
10. Roman officers come to the house of Pappas to deliver what document to Elisha?
(a) A welcome letter from the chief justice of the province.
(b) A summons to appear before the chief justice of the province.
(c) A letter from his wife, Deborah, pleading for his return.
(d) An order from the Roman empire to leave Antioch forever.
11. When Elisha begins his studies on Antioch, what does he study first?
(a) Basic Greek grammar, culture, and history.
(b) Advanced Greek grammer.
(d) The business of human trading.
12. What happened to the merchant's business after the court case?
(a) His business was set on fire and he had to move to another building.
(b) His business went bankrupt and he was ostracized from the land.
(c) He sold his business.
(d) His business picked up and was better than before.
13. What does Nicholaus tell Elisha when Elisha says he cannot repress his feelings and obsession with finding the truth?
(a) He will stand by him as a friend.
(b) He will report him to the authorities.
(c) They must only meet secretly from now on.
(d) Their friendship is over.
14. What sort of people does Elisha find himself in the company of after accepting an invitation to dinner by one of the rhetoricians?
(a) Both religious zealots and scientists.
(b) Polite and well educated.
(c) Rabbis and sages.
(d) Hedonistic and self centered.
15. What happens when Palestine learns of Trajan's edict that the Temple may be rebuilt?
(a) Palestine petitions for the decision to be reversed.
(b) Palestine businesses close down.
(c) Palestine mourns.
(d) Money pours in from the Jewish people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great tragedy happened to Elisha's family?
2. Which renewed friend provides Elisha with a cover to get the books he needs?
3. What impresses Elisha about the Roman court system?
4. Who tells Elisha Pappas is not good company for him, and that he should not be reading Greek books?
5. Where is Elisha sent, as a sage, to sit in court over a controversial issue?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)