|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impresses Elisha about the Roman court system?
(a) The lavish adornments, and the beautiful architecture.
(b) The complete lack of prejudice against jewish people.
(c) The efficiency and professionalism.
(d) The expansive Greek reference library adjacent to the courtroom.
2. What is the commander's response to the pleading of the sages?
(a) The commander does not change his orders.
(b) The commander releases the insurrection leaders.
(c) He orders the disbandment of the Sanhedrin.
(d) He has the sages executed.
3. Who does Elisha present his idea to about Greek literature?
(a) Deborah, Akiba, and Amram.
(b) Meir, Deborah and Simeon.
(c) Akiba and the two Simeons.
(d) Meir and the two Simeons.
4. How does Elisha begins his life as a Rabbi?
(a) By signing documents.
(b) Giving up all his possessions.
(c) Judging in Usha.
(d) Helping widows and children.
5. What sort of people does Elisha find himself in the company of after accepting an invitation to dinner by one of the rhetoricians?
(a) Polite and well educated.
(b) Both religious zealots and scientists.
(c) Rabbis and sages.
(d) Hedonistic and self centered.
6. When Elisha is notified that he is now a candidate for ordination, Deborah insists what of the servants?
(a) She insists they prepare a feast for themselves.
(b) She insists they take a week off.
(c) She insists they call Elisha, Rabbi.
(d) She insists they kneel before Elisha.
7. Where does Uncle Amram take Elisha to begin his training to become a rabbi and sage?
(a) The Home of Pappas.
(b) The Red Sea.
(d) The Home of Rabbi Joshua.
8. What does Nicholaus tell Elisha when Elisha says he cannot repress his feelings and obsession with finding the truth?
(a) They must only meet secretly from now on.
(b) He will report him to the authorities.
(c) Their friendship is over.
(d) He will stand by him as a friend.
9. What does Elisha realize about his two years of study and the knowledge he has gleaned?
(a) It has not supplied the answers he so desperately needs.
(b) He must quit studying.
(c) He needs to study harder.
(d) It has fulfilled all his expectations.
10. On his next journey, when Elisha stops in a small town what does he see?
(a) A magician doing magic tricks.
(b) A temple being built.
(c) A small girl dying on the street.
(d) A washerwoman break her leg.
11. Who goes mad and implicates Elisha as the one who created the disbelief in him?
(b) Simeon ben Zoma.
(d) Simeon ben Azzai.
12. What happens to Eliezer's proposal concerning the ban against pagan literature?
(a) It creates a tie in the Sanhedrin.
(b) It is voted down.
(c) It is laughed out of court.
(d) It is adopted and set into motion.
13. When Elisha begins his studies on Antioch, what does he study first?
(a) Advanced Greek grammer.
(b) The business of human trading.
(d) Basic Greek grammar, culture, and history.
14. Why does Amram decide not to let Elisha become married to Theo?
(a) Amram thinks Theo distracts Elisha from his studies.
(b) Because Theo's family is part Greek.
(c) Amram knows that Elisha is in love with Deborah.
(d) Deborah's family is much wealthier than Theo's.
15. When Pappas finds Elisha alone in the garden, what does he tell him?
(a) That he wishes to move in with Elisha.
(b) That he is moving to Antioch.
(c) That he loves Deborah.
(d) That he is betrothed to Theo.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Abuyah dies, who burns all the books and documents that are not Jewish?
2. When Elisha is going back to Nicholaus, what does he overhear his father say to Uncle Amram?
3. How does Elisha try to console Deborah after she becomes pregnant twice and loses both babies?
4. While the seventy sages of the Sanhedrin are in session, who raises the question about whether a man should use Greek books and letters to read and study?
5. Who tells Elisha that there are rebels among the Jews?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)