|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Elisha returns home for major festivals and uses this time to learn what from Amram?
(a) The ways of business and estate management.
(b) How to become a great rabbi and sage.
(c) Why Abuyah read Greek and Roman documents.
(d) How to stop the Jewish rebels.
2. Who does Elisha want to seek out to answer his questions?
(a) The Christians and Gnostics.
(b) His old childhood friends.
(c) His old tutor, Josef.
(d) Each member of the Sanhedrin, individually.
3. Who does Elisha know that dies of the plague?
(a) Meir's children.
(b) All of the members of the Sanhedrin.
(c) Deborah and her servant girl.
(d) Joseph and Josiah.
4. After being asked to make a speech to a class in an academy, what does Elisha tell the students?
(a) To study Greek and Roman literature as much as they can.
(c) To listen carefully to their teacher and the rabbis.
(d) To not believe anything they are taught in the academy.
5. Why does Deborah encourage Elisha to curry the Shraga's favor?
(a) She is concerned the Shraga wants to take Elisha away from her.
(b) She is concerned the Shraga might prevent his ordination.
(c) She wants the Shraga to give Elisha more servants.
(d) She wants Elisha to become Shraga's disciple.
6. Who does Elisha try to find in the pagan part of Caeserea?
(a) A bookseller.
(b) A magician.
(c) A carpenter.
(d) His old tutor.
7. What is the name of the Greek scholar who instructs Elisha as a boy?
8. Why does Manto say it is impossible for her to marry Elisha?
(a) She would be looked down upon by her friends.
(b) She does not love him.
(c) She cannot leave her lifestyle.
(d) She is happily married to Rufus.
9. Where are Elisha and Deborah to stay when at the feast?
(a) Their own estate.
(b) Akiba's house.
(c) Rabbi Peter's home.
(d) Uncle Amram's estate.
10. Why is Abuyah considered something of a heretic among others in this society?
(a) His wife, Elisheba, died shortly after giving birth to his son.
(b) He is late for Elisha's circumcision.
(c) He spoke with Roman soldiers.
(d) He is known to have studied Greek and Roman works.
11. How does Elisha feel about the subject of human trading?
(a) He considers it a necessary evil.
(b) He plans to pursue it as a future career.
12. Why is Tobias, Elisha's steward, furious with Pappas and Elisha for their conversation with the Romans?
(a) Because now the boys want to be Romans.
(b) Because the Romans caused the boys to come home late.
(c) Because the Romans murdered many Jews and destroyed the Temple.
(d) Because the boys weren't respectful enough to the Romans.
13. Where is Elisha sent, as a sage, to sit in court over a controversial issue?
(a) His hometown.
14. Why is Rabbi Johannan amazed that Elisha is studying to become a rabbi?
(a) Because Elisha is a Greek.
(b) Because Elisha is a lay carpenter.
(c) Because Elisha isn't intelligent enough to handle the job.
(d) Because Elisha's father had strong sympathies for the Greek.
15. When Elisha and his friends are at the home of Simeon ben Azzai, what happens to their host?
(a) Simeon ben Azzai says he is ready to meet God and dies in their arms.
(b) He claims he no longer trusts in God.
(c) The host kills the other Simeon.
(d) The host arrives completely drunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the result of the three years of instruction Elisha receives from Amram after his father's death?
2. How does Elisha try to console Deborah after she becomes pregnant twice and loses both babies?
3. How does Elisha feel about Meir's marriage?
4. Who arranges that Elisha be released from jail?
5. What does Elisha think about his new wife after the week-long festival?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)