|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives at the Temple Mount to stop the work on the rebuilding of the Temple?
(a) The Sanhedrin.
(b) The Roman cavalry.
2. When Elisha's trial period as a sage apprentice is over, what does he decide to do?
(a) He runs away from Uncle Amram.
(b) He swims in the Red Sea and drowns.
(c) He returns home and learns carpentry with Pappas.
(d) He chooses to continue his training with Joshua.
3. Before leaving the garden, Akiba pleads with Elisha to do what?
(a) Stay true to his quest for truth.
(b) Turn back before everything is lost.
(c) Stop the executions.
(d) Take Deborah back.
4. What impresses Elisha about the Roman court system?
(a) The lavish adornments, and the beautiful architecture.
(b) The efficiency and professionalism.
(c) The complete lack of prejudice against jewish people.
(d) The expansive Greek reference library adjacent to the courtroom.
5. What is Abuyah's dying wish for Elisha to fulfill?
(a) That Elisha do what his uncle, Amram, tells him to do.
(b) That Elisha burn all books and documents that are not Jewish.
(c) That Elisha will be wholehearted and not torn in two.
(d) That Elisha train to become a rabbi and sage.
6. After sitting as an observer and Joshua's apprentice at Sanhedrin, what happened to Elisha?
(a) Elisha becomes a Bishop.
(b) Elisha moves to Italy.
(c) Elisha leaves his wife.
(d) Elisha is ordained as a Rabbi.
7. Who does Elisha want to seek out to answer his questions?
(a) His old tutor, Josef.
(b) His old childhood friends.
(c) The Christians and Gnostics.
(d) Each member of the Sanhedrin, individually.
8. What do Deborah's behavior and actions at the feast make very clear about her character?
(a) That she is in love with Pappas.
(b) That she is very temperamental.
(c) That she values wealth more than friendship.
(d) That she is warm and genuine.
9. Who arrives on a Roman ship at the port of Antioch?
(c) A delegation of the Sanhedrin.
10. How is Elisha welcomed when he arrives at the home of Pappas in Antioch?
(a) He is welcomed warmly.
(b) He arrives to find Pappas does not recognize Elisha.
(c) Pappas tells Elisha how ashamed of Elisha he is for running away.
(d) Pappas refuses to let Elisha in his home unless he accepts God.
11. Why is Abuyah considered something of a heretic among others in this society?
(a) He is late for Elisha's circumcision.
(b) He is known to have studied Greek and Roman works.
(c) He spoke with Roman soldiers.
(d) His wife, Elisheba, died shortly after giving birth to his son.
12. Who takes over Elisha's circumcision ceremony at the absence of Abuyah?
(c) Uncle Amram.
13. What is the name of the Greek scholar who instructs Elisha as a boy?
14. Who does Elisha find out he has been betrothed to?
15. What happened to the merchant's business after the court case?
(a) His business was set on fire and he had to move to another building.
(b) He sold his business.
(c) His business picked up and was better than before.
(d) His business went bankrupt and he was ostracized from the land.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Elisha is going back to Nicholaus, what does he overhear his father say to Uncle Amram?
2. What happens when Elisha goes to Manto's home when she is alone?
3. What does Nicholaus tell Elisha when Elisha says he cannot repress his feelings and obsession with finding the truth?
4. How does Elisha feel about Meir's marriage?
5. Why is Elisha overcome with discontent when he visits with Meir and Beruriah?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)