|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On his next journey, when Elisha stops in a small town what does he see?
(a) A temple being built.
(b) A washerwoman break her leg.
(c) A magician doing magic tricks.
(d) A small girl dying on the street.
2. What great tragedy happened to Elisha's family?
(a) His grandparents died.
(b) His mother died.
(c) His father died.
(d) Both his mother and father died.
3. What does Elisha acknowledge to Meir after receiving the news?
(a) He no longer believes in god.
(b) The Sanhedrin will not indict him because he is so smart.
(c) The Sanhedrin will indict him, and he will stop asking questions.
(d) The Sanhedrin will indict him, but he cannot stop searching for answers.
4. Why is Rabbi Johannan amazed that Elisha is studying to become a rabbi?
(a) Because Elisha's father had strong sympathies for the Greek.
(b) Because Elisha is a lay carpenter.
(c) Because Elisha is a Greek.
(d) Because Elisha isn't intelligent enough to handle the job.
5. Who tells Elisha that there are rebels among the Jews?
(a) Uncle Amram.
(c) Rabbi Peter.
(d) Rabbi Joshua.
6. Who takes over Elisha's circumcision ceremony at the absence of Abuyah?
(d) Uncle Amram.
7. What do the workers, numbering over 500, want to do after the command to leave?
(a) Stay and fight.
(b) Go home to their families.
(c) Gladly leave.
(d) Pretend they do not hear the command.
8. Why is Tobias, Elisha's steward, furious with Pappas and Elisha for their conversation with the Romans?
(a) Because the Romans caused the boys to come home late.
(b) Because the boys weren't respectful enough to the Romans.
(c) Because the Romans murdered many Jews and destroyed the Temple.
(d) Because now the boys want to be Romans.
9. Who does Elisha try to find in the pagan part of Caeserea?
(a) A carpenter.
(b) His old tutor.
(c) A bookseller.
(d) A magician.
10. Which renewed friend provides Elisha with a cover to get the books he needs?
(d) Uncle Amram.
11. What idea does Elisha present to his friends about Greek literature?
(a) That they burn all Greek literature.
(b) That the Sanhedrin tax owners of Greek literature.
(c) Studying it could help counter debate.
(d) Studying it could help people forget their faith.
12. Where are Elisha and Deborah to stay when at the feast?
(a) Rabbi Peter's home.
(b) Their own estate.
(c) Akiba's house.
(d) Uncle Amram's estate.
13. Elisha returns home for major festivals and uses this time to learn what from Amram?
(a) Why Abuyah read Greek and Roman documents.
(b) How to become a great rabbi and sage.
(c) The ways of business and estate management.
(d) How to stop the Jewish rebels.
14. What does Manto decide Elisha should do, after she becomes involved in his quest?
(a) Go back to Israel and stand trial.
(b) Refuse to oppose the Sanhedrin.
(c) Be tutored by Antiphanes.
(d) Flee before his troubles worsen.
15. What does Nicholaus tell Elisha when Elisha says he cannot repress his feelings and obsession with finding the truth?
(a) He will stand by him as a friend.
(b) He will report him to the authorities.
(c) They must only meet secretly from now on.
(d) Their friendship is over.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elisha realize about his two years of study and the knowledge he has gleaned?
2. Why does Manto say it is impossible for her to marry Elisha?
3. How does Joshua, his old instructor, feel about Elisha?
4. While the seventy sages of the Sanhedrin are in session, who raises the question about whether a man should use Greek books and letters to read and study?
5. When Elisha returns to his rooms, who wants to know what he is doing?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)