|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the commander's response to the pleading of the sages?
(a) The commander does not change his orders.
(b) He has the sages executed.
(c) He orders the disbandment of the Sanhedrin.
(d) The commander releases the insurrection leaders.
2. What happened to the merchant's business after the court case?
(a) His business picked up and was better than before.
(b) His business went bankrupt and he was ostracized from the land.
(c) His business was set on fire and he had to move to another building.
(d) He sold his business.
3. Who does Elisha want to seek out to answer his questions?
(a) His old childhood friends.
(b) His old tutor, Josef.
(c) The Christians and Gnostics.
(d) Each member of the Sanhedrin, individually.
4. Who arranges that Elisha be released from jail?
5. When Elisha is notified that he is now a candidate for ordination, Deborah insists what of the servants?
(a) She insists they prepare a feast for themselves.
(b) She insists they take a week off.
(c) She insists they kneel before Elisha.
(d) She insists they call Elisha, Rabbi.
6. How does Elisha feel about Meir's marriage?
(a) Feels should Meir treated his wife better.
(b) Glad his marriage is nothing like Meir's.
(c) Wishes his marriage was like Meir's.
(d) Feels Meir's wife should be more submissive.
7. What does Nicholaus tell Elisha when Elisha says he cannot repress his feelings and obsession with finding the truth?
(a) He will report him to the authorities.
(b) Their friendship is over.
(c) He will stand by him as a friend.
(d) They must only meet secretly from now on.
8. Where does Elisha suspect the real truth lies?
(a) Math, english, and religion.
(b) Logic, reason, and astrology.
(c) The Sanhedrin, tradition, and ancient scriptures.
(d) Science, math, or philosophy.
9. Who does Elisha try to find in the pagan part of Caeserea?
(a) A magician.
(b) A bookseller.
(c) His old tutor.
(d) A carpenter.
10. When Elisha is going back to Nicholaus, what does he overhear his father say to Uncle Amram?
(a) He thinks he should take over direction of Elisha's studies.
(b) He does not believe in the miracle of the parting of the Red Sea.
(c) He worries Elisha does not believe in miracles.
(d) He does not think Elisha studies hard enough.
11. Where does the plague strike?
12. What happens to Eliezer's proposal concerning the ban against pagan literature?
(a) It is voted down.
(b) It creates a tie in the Sanhedrin.
(c) It is laughed out of court.
(d) It is adopted and set into motion.
13. When Pappas finds Elisha alone in the garden, what does he tell him?
(a) That he is betrothed to Theo.
(b) That he is moving to Antioch.
(c) That he wishes to move in with Elisha.
(d) That he loves Deborah.
14. What does Manto decide Elisha should do, after she becomes involved in his quest?
(a) Go back to Israel and stand trial.
(b) Refuse to oppose the Sanhedrin.
(c) Flee before his troubles worsen.
(d) Be tutored by Antiphanes.
15. What does Nicholaus try to convince Elisha to do?
(a) That the Romans will kill the Sanhedrin tomorrow.
(b) That Elisha will be killed in three day.
(c) To leave Israel as soon as possible.
(d) That everything is okay.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elisha acknowledge to Meir after receiving the news?
2. Why does Pappas go back to Israel?
3. How does Elisha respond when Deborah is trying to renew her marriage with him?
4. What is Deborah bothered by when around Meir and his wife?
5. Who does Elisha know that dies of the plague?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)