|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Abuyah's dying wish for Elisha to fulfill?
(a) That Elisha do what his uncle, Amram, tells him to do.
(b) That Elisha train to become a rabbi and sage.
(c) That Elisha will be wholehearted and not torn in two.
(d) That Elisha burn all books and documents that are not Jewish.
2. What does Elisha acknowledge to Meir after receiving the news?
(a) He no longer believes in god.
(b) The Sanhedrin will indict him, but he cannot stop searching for answers.
(c) The Sanhedrin will not indict him because he is so smart.
(d) The Sanhedrin will indict him, and he will stop asking questions.
3. Who takes over Elisha's circumcision ceremony at the absence of Abuyah?
(d) Uncle Amram.
4. How does Elisha respond when Deborah is trying to renew her marriage with him?
(a) Elisha tells Deborah that he still loves her, but the cannot be together.
(b) Elisha is overjoyed, and decides they should be together.
(c) Elisha tells Deborah he is leaving forever.
(d) Elisha is despondent and does not respond.
5. How does Elisha feel about Meir's marriage?
(a) Feels should Meir treated his wife better.
(b) Glad his marriage is nothing like Meir's.
(c) Feels Meir's wife should be more submissive.
(d) Wishes his marriage was like Meir's.
6. What did Elisha's best friends do because they were manipulated by Elisha?
(a) Helped him learn more Greek knowledge.
(b) Devised new methods to counteract the Sanhedrin.
(c) Built a government based on Greek law.
(d) Rebuilt the Temple.
7. Which two friends of Elisha are going insane because of the knowledge they have gained from Greek literature?
(a) Akiba and Simeon ben Azzai.
(b) Simeon ben Zoma and Akiba.
(c) The two Simeons.
(d) None of Elisha's friends are going insane.
8. Who is the confusing and angry man Elisha meets at dinner before he meets Simeon ben Azzai and Simeon ben Zoma?
(a) Shraga, a rebellious and almost insane fighter for the Jews.
(b) Zion, a young rabbi.
(c) Azzar, an old carpenter.
(d) Josef, a member of the Sanhedrin.
9. What is the origin of Theo's name?
10. Who arranges that Elisha be released from jail?
11. Elisha's obsession with truth has caused what to dissolve?
(a) Elisha's stores of money have dissolved.
(b) Elisha's marriage has begun to disintegrate.
(c) Some of Elisha's friendships have begun to dissolve.
(d) Elisha's sanity has completely left.
12. Why is Elisha overcome with discontent when he visits with Meir and Beruriah?
(a) He lacks the proper education to study Greek literature well.
(b) They tell him that the Sanhedrin will indict him.
(c) They tell Elisha that they can no longer see him.
(d) Meir and Beruriah mock Elisha for his educational background.
13. Why is Rabbi Johannan amazed that Elisha is studying to become a rabbi?
(a) Because Elisha isn't intelligent enough to handle the job.
(b) Because Elisha is a lay carpenter.
(c) Because Elisha is a Greek.
(d) Because Elisha's father had strong sympathies for the Greek.
14. Why does Amram decide not to let Elisha become married to Theo?
(a) Amram thinks Theo distracts Elisha from his studies.
(b) Because Theo's family is part Greek.
(c) Deborah's family is much wealthier than Theo's.
(d) Amram knows that Elisha is in love with Deborah.
15. What is the commander's response to the pleading of the sages?
(a) He has the sages executed.
(b) The commander releases the insurrection leaders.
(c) The commander does not change his orders.
(d) He orders the disbandment of the Sanhedrin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nicholaus try to convince Elisha to do?
2. After sitting as an observer and Joshua's apprentice at Sanhedrin, what happened to Elisha?
3. What news does Pappas return to Antioch with?
4. How is Elisha welcomed when he arrives at the home of Pappas in Antioch?
5. Where does the plague strike?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)