|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Roman officers come to the house of Pappas to deliver what document to Elisha?
(a) An order from the Roman empire to leave Antioch forever.
(b) A letter from his wife, Deborah, pleading for his return.
(c) A welcome letter from the chief justice of the province.
(d) A summons to appear before the chief justice of the province.
2. What is the result of the three years of instruction Elisha receives from Amram after his father's death?
(a) Elisha renounces his Jewish faith.
(b) Elisha becomes thoroughly Jewish in practice, appearance, and thought.
(c) Elisha begins his training to become a rabbi and sage.
(d) Elisha becomes thoroughly Jewish in practice and appearance, yet not in thought.
3. Why has Elisha been called to return to Israel?
(a) To attend the funeral of Nicholaus.
(b) To stand trial.
(c) To reforge the bond with his wife.
(d) To lecture a class in an academy on the importance of truth in faith.
4. Who tells Elisha that there are rebels among the Jews?
(a) Rabbi Joshua.
(b) Rabbi Peter.
(c) Uncle Amram.
5. What impresses Elisha about the Roman court system?
(a) The expansive Greek reference library adjacent to the courtroom.
(b) The complete lack of prejudice against jewish people.
(c) The lavish adornments, and the beautiful architecture.
(d) The efficiency and professionalism.
6. What does Elisha acknowledge to Meir after receiving the news?
(a) The Sanhedrin will indict him, and he will stop asking questions.
(b) He no longer believes in god.
(c) The Sanhedrin will indict him, but he cannot stop searching for answers.
(d) The Sanhedrin will not indict him because he is so smart.
7. Why is Rabbi Johannan amazed that Elisha is studying to become a rabbi?
(a) Because Elisha is a lay carpenter.
(b) Because Elisha is a Greek.
(c) Because Elisha isn't intelligent enough to handle the job.
(d) Because Elisha's father had strong sympathies for the Greek.
8. Who does Elisha find, to his delight and surprise, in Caeserea?
(a) His father.
(c) His old tutor, Nicholaus.
(d) His wife, Deborah.
9. Elisha's obsession with truth has caused what to dissolve?
(a) Elisha's sanity has completely left.
(b) Elisha's stores of money have dissolved.
(c) Some of Elisha's friendships have begun to dissolve.
(d) Elisha's marriage has begun to disintegrate.
10. Who takes over Elisha's circumcision ceremony at the absence of Abuyah?
(d) Uncle Amram.
11. Why is Elisha ashamed when he watches the spectacle at the local arena where men and lions kill each other?
(a) He cannot stop the crowd of people from watching.
(b) The grotesque violence causes him to laugh.
(c) Pappas cheers on the violence maniacally.
(d) His own feelings of bloodlust.
12. After being asked to make a speech to a class in an academy, what does Elisha tell the students?
(b) To not believe anything they are taught in the academy.
(c) To listen carefully to their teacher and the rabbis.
(d) To study Greek and Roman literature as much as they can.
13. On his next journey, when Elisha stops in a small town what does he see?
(a) A washerwoman break her leg.
(b) A small girl dying on the street.
(c) A magician doing magic tricks.
(d) A temple being built.
14. Where does Elisha suspect the real truth lies?
(a) Logic, reason, and astrology.
(b) Math, english, and religion.
(c) The Sanhedrin, tradition, and ancient scriptures.
(d) Science, math, or philosophy.
15. Who stands up against the leader of the rebels?
(a) Rabbi Joshua.
(b) The Sanhedrin.
(c) The Roman Cavalry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Elisha and Pappas going when they run into Theo?
2. When Elisha and his friends are at the home of Simeon ben Azzai, what happens to their host?
3. What is Elisha dismayed to discover when he arrives to help with the court case?
4. When Elisha is going back to Nicholaus, what does he overhear his father say to Uncle Amram?
5. When Elisha returns to his rooms, who wants to know what he is doing?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)