|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After sitting as an observer and Joshua's apprentice at Sanhedrin, what happened to Elisha?
(a) Elisha is ordained as a Rabbi.
(b) Elisha becomes a Bishop.
(c) Elisha moves to Italy.
(d) Elisha leaves his wife.
2. Who is the confusing and angry man Elisha meets at dinner before he meets Simeon ben Azzai and Simeon ben Zoma?
(a) Zion, a young rabbi.
(b) Shraga, a rebellious and almost insane fighter for the Jews.
(c) Azzar, an old carpenter.
(d) Josef, a member of the Sanhedrin.
3. Soon after Elisha's conversation, a rider comes into town with what news?
(a) That the Romans have banned Jews from working on the Temple.
(b) That the Temple has been completed.
(c) That Meir has died in a horrible accident.
(d) That Elisha's wife has been injured.
4. Before leaving the garden, Akiba pleads with Elisha to do what?
(a) Turn back before everything is lost.
(b) Stop the executions.
(c) Take Deborah back.
(d) Stay true to his quest for truth.
5. After being asked to make a speech to a class in an academy, what does Elisha tell the students?
(a) To listen carefully to their teacher and the rabbis.
(b) To study Greek and Roman literature as much as they can.
(d) To not believe anything they are taught in the academy.
6. On his next journey, when Elisha stops in a small town what does he see?
(a) A magician doing magic tricks.
(b) A washerwoman break her leg.
(c) A small girl dying on the street.
(d) A temple being built.
7. Where does Elisha suspect the real truth lies?
(a) Science, math, or philosophy.
(b) Math, english, and religion.
(c) Logic, reason, and astrology.
(d) The Sanhedrin, tradition, and ancient scriptures.
8. Why is Rabbi Johannan amazed that Elisha is studying to become a rabbi?
(a) Because Elisha is a Greek.
(b) Because Elisha's father had strong sympathies for the Greek.
(c) Because Elisha is a lay carpenter.
(d) Because Elisha isn't intelligent enough to handle the job.
9. What does Elisha acknowledge to Meir after receiving the news?
(a) The Sanhedrin will indict him, but he cannot stop searching for answers.
(b) The Sanhedrin will indict him, and he will stop asking questions.
(c) The Sanhedrin will not indict him because he is so smart.
(d) He no longer believes in god.
10. Who does Elisha know that dies of the plague?
(a) Joseph and Josiah.
(b) Meir's children.
(c) Deborah and her servant girl.
(d) All of the members of the Sanhedrin.
11. Who does Elisha find, to his delight and surprise, in Caeserea?
(a) His father.
(b) His old tutor, Nicholaus.
(c) His wife, Deborah.
12. Who arrives at the Temple Mount to stop the work on the rebuilding of the Temple?
(a) The Roman cavalry.
(d) The Sanhedrin.
13. Who tells Elisha Pappas is not good company for him, and that he should not be reading Greek books?
(d) Uncle Amram.
14. Who goes mad and implicates Elisha as the one who created the disbelief in him?
(a) Simeon ben Azzai.
(b) Simeon ben Zoma.
15. How does Elisha feel about Meir's marriage?
(a) Wishes his marriage was like Meir's.
(b) Glad his marriage is nothing like Meir's.
(c) Feels Meir's wife should be more submissive.
(d) Feels should Meir treated his wife better.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tobias, Elisha's steward, furious with Pappas and Elisha for their conversation with the Romans?
2. What is the result of the three years of instruction Elisha receives from Amram after his father's death?
3. Which renewed friend provides Elisha with a cover to get the books he needs?
4. What do the workers, numbering over 500, want to do after the command to leave?
5. Why is Elisha ashamed when he watches the spectacle at the local arena where men and lions kill each other?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)