|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Elisha's trial period as a sage apprentice is over, what does he decide to do?
(a) He swims in the Red Sea and drowns.
(b) He runs away from Uncle Amram.
(c) He returns home and learns carpentry with Pappas.
(d) He chooses to continue his training with Joshua.
2. When Elisha returns to his rooms, who wants to know what he is doing?
(a) A delegation of local Jews.
(b) A delegation of Jewish rebels.
(c) The Roman government.
(d) A gathering of Christian rebels.
3. Where are Elisha and Deborah to stay when at the feast?
(a) Rabbi Peter's home.
(b) Akiba's house.
(c) Uncle Amram's estate.
(d) Their own estate.
4. What sort of people does Elisha find himself in the company of after accepting an invitation to dinner by one of the rhetoricians?
(a) Hedonistic and self centered.
(b) Both religious zealots and scientists.
(c) Polite and well educated.
(d) Rabbis and sages.
5. Why does Pappas go back to Israel?
(a) To ask rabbi Joshua for advice concerning Elisha.
(b) To extract a message of intent from the Sanhedrin concerning Elisha.
(c) To inform the Sanhedrin that Elisha has no intent to return to Israel.
(d) To bring Deborah back to Antioch with him.
6. How does Joshua, his old instructor, feel about Elisha?
(d) Very proud.
7. Who attends lecture and symposia with Elisha?
8. What does Elisha discuss with Justin, the leader of the Gentile Christians?
(a) The syntax of religion with Justin.
(b) The methodology of religion with Justin.
(c) The morphology of religion with Justin.
(d) The phonology of religion with Justin.
9. Who tells Elisha that there are rebels among the Jews?
(a) Rabbi Joshua.
(b) Rabbi Peter.
(d) Uncle Amram.
10. Where are Elisha and Pappas going when they run into Theo?
(a) They are going to find an encampment of Roman soldiers in the area.
(b) They are going to find Elisha's father and his uncle.
(c) They are going to study Greek and Roman works.
(d) They are headed to watch a cow give birth.
11. What did Elisha's best friends do because they were manipulated by Elisha?
(a) Devised new methods to counteract the Sanhedrin.
(b) Built a government based on Greek law.
(c) Rebuilt the Temple.
(d) Helped him learn more Greek knowledge.
12. What is the name of the Greek scholar who instructs Elisha as a boy?
13. What is the result of the three years of instruction Elisha receives from Amram after his father's death?
(a) Elisha becomes thoroughly Jewish in practice, appearance, and thought.
(b) Elisha renounces his Jewish faith.
(c) Elisha becomes thoroughly Jewish in practice and appearance, yet not in thought.
(d) Elisha begins his training to become a rabbi and sage.
14. Who goes mad and implicates Elisha as the one who created the disbelief in him?
(b) Simeon ben Azzai.
(c) Simeon ben Zoma.
15. What does Elisha tell Meir's wife?
(a) She should run away with him.
(b) He loves her.
(c) He does not appreciate her advances toward him.
(d) She has married an awful husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes over Elisha's circumcision ceremony at the absence of Abuyah?
2. Why is Elisha ashamed when he watches the spectacle at the local arena where men and lions kill each other?
3. Soon after Elisha's conversation, a rider comes into town with what news?
4. Before leaving the garden, Akiba pleads with Elisha to do what?
5. What does Elisha acknowledge to Meir after receiving the news?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)