Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
2. What interpretation does Stephen give to his dream and visions of beasts in the field?
3. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
4. What suddenly awakens in Stephen as he revels in nature along the breakwater?
5. What worries Stephen about his devotions?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about symbolism in literature. Refer to the bridge crossing of Stephen right after he saw the Christian brothers go across. Explain the symbolism of his making a life crossing at that moment that would lead him in a whole different direction.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on your opinion regarding corporal punishment in schools. Use the examples of the pandybat and the flogging of the runaways from the novel. Explain how effective you think corporal punishment is or is not. Give your opinion as to whether it should be banned in schools.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on obsessions. At age sixteen, Stephen's obsession was sex. However, people become obsessed by many other thing--making money, playing video games, drinking and partying, just to name a few. In your essay discuss how people get caught up in certain obsessions and how they tend to put themselves in situations where they can satisfy those desires.
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)