|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
2. Who does not want Stephen to go to the university?
3. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
4. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
5. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the inner conflict most people have in trying to live out their religion. The basic idea of most religion is to control natural impulses. Give your opinion on how that creates problems with daily living.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay entitled, "Why James Joyce is Still Cool." This essay will center around the idea that Joyce's works are as relevant today as they were when they were written. It will also include his fresh approach to writing that makes the reader not want to put the book down. Some mention should also be included about the characters in his novels and what makes them cool as well.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on reversal of fortune. In your essay discuss ways people can cope with losing everything they own and starting over. Mention the difference between young people and older people when financial calamity occurs.
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)