|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the priest react to Stephen's confession?
2. What begins to take on an attractive appearance to Stephen?
3. Who from the Bible are contrasted by the preacher?
4. What does Stephen discover when he returns home from the director's office?
5. Alone in his room, what does Stephen see when he closes his eyes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on political and religious bigotry. Explain in your essay how stubbornly held biases are divisive and foster hate and mistrust. Discuss how it is possible for people with different political and religious views to live peacefully together.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the imagery of myths and fables. Start with the myth of Daedalus and Icarus. Explain how Icarus' fatal flight can be used to illustrate a person's reaching for a dream. Include in the essay the image of a father giving advice to his son and the rebelliousness of the son. In this novel, that imagery applies more to Stephen and his mother.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay stating your views of parochial education versus public school education. List in your essay the positives and negatives of each. End with your recommendations about education for young children.
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)