|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the symbolism used to show Stephen's returning to nature?
2. How does the preacher define sin?
3. Why does Stephen exert enormous energy in filling his days with penitent devotion, zealous prayers, and rosary recitations?
4. How does Stephen come to view all of creation?
5. Going through all these strict devotions, how does Stephen come to feel about himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on decision making. The symbolism of Stephen's pacing back and forth between the chapel and Byron's pub is his crossroads decision to return to the church and become a priest or give in to his desire to become an artist. In your essay discuss both the rational and emotional elements involved in decision making process.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the beauty of language. Take examples of some of Joyce's descriptive lines that paint a vivid mental image. Give your opinion as to whether using beautiful language is a lost art. Include in your essay what effect you think text messaging has had on language.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay entitled, Imagery in A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. In your essay, select one or two passages with some of Joyce's literary imagery and explain why these in particular appealed to you. Discuss how imagery in literature paints a mental picture for the reader.
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)