|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
2. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
3. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
4. Where does Stephen's walking around in smaller and smaller circles eventually lead him?
5. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the imagery of myths and fables. Start with the myth of Daedalus and Icarus. Explain how Icarus' fatal flight can be used to illustrate a person's reaching for a dream. Include in the essay the image of a father giving advice to his son and the rebelliousness of the son. In this novel, that imagery applies more to Stephen and his mother.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about dysfunctional families like Stephen's. In what ways were they dysfunctional? In your essay talk about finances, religious differences, and living conditions which contribute to the dysfunction of a family.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay stating your views of parochial education versus public school education. List in your essay the positives and negatives of each. End with your recommendations about education for young children.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)