|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sensation does Stephen get while thinking back to Clongowes?
2. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
3. Leaving the director's office, what does Stephen think about the life offered him?
4. What does the rector announce that will take place on Friday?
5. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay entitled, Imagery in A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. In your essay, select one or two passages with some of Joyce's literary imagery and explain why these in particular appealed to you. Discuss how imagery in literature paints a mental picture for the reader.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay entitled, "Why James Joyce is Still Cool." This essay will center around the idea that Joyce's works are as relevant today as they were when they were written. It will also include his fresh approach to writing that makes the reader not want to put the book down. Some mention should also be included about the characters in his novels and what makes them cool as well.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the idea of love at first sight. Use Stephen's early encounter with the girl on the tram as a starting point. Express your opinion about the concept of love at first sight. Include an example from modern day experience.
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)