|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What offer does the director make to Stephen when he calls him to his office?
2. How does Stephen see his acts of devotion to God?
3. How does the preacher define sin?
4. What goes through Stephen's head as he enters the confessional?
5. What does the preacher say is available to the living to spare them from this everlasting torment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about dysfunctional families like Stephen's. In what ways were they dysfunctional? In your essay talk about finances, religious differences, and living conditions which contribute to the dysfunction of a family.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the imagery of myths and fables. Start with the myth of Daedalus and Icarus. Explain how Icarus' fatal flight can be used to illustrate a person's reaching for a dream. Include in the essay the image of a father giving advice to his son and the rebelliousness of the son. In this novel, that imagery applies more to Stephen and his mother.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the inner conflict most people have in trying to live out their religion. The basic idea of most religion is to control natural impulses. Give your opinion on how that creates problems with daily living.
This section contains 1,123 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)