|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen come to view all of creation?
2. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
3. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
4. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
5. What is Stephen's condition as he leaves the retreat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the importance of self-reliance. By contrast to Stephen, it was Cranly who was ultimately alone. In your essay explain how being self-reliant actually makes a person more attractive to others.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on political and religious bigotry. Explain in your essay how stubbornly held biases are divisive and foster hate and mistrust. Discuss how it is possible for people with different political and religious views to live peacefully together.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on decision making. The symbolism of Stephen's pacing back and forth between the chapel and Byron's pub is his crossroads decision to return to the church and become a priest or give in to his desire to become an artist. In your essay discuss both the rational and emotional elements involved in decision making process.
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)