|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the rector announce to the class?
2. What strikes fear into the sinner, but is a blessed moment for the believer?
3. What does the preacher say is available to the living to spare them from this everlasting torment?
4. What does Stephen feel by allowing sin to creep near to him before resisting it at the last moment?
5. What does Stephen seem to hear now that he has changed the course of his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about a mother's love. Start with Cranly's assessment of a mother's love and how his arguments affected Stephen. Your essay will either agree with Cranly or disagree and should include some examples to illustrate your point.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about symbolism in literature. Refer to the bridge crossing of Stephen right after he saw the Christian brothers go across. Explain the symbolism of his making a life crossing at that moment that would lead him in a whole different direction.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the value of imagination. It was Stephen's imagination in his early years, coupled with his love of language, that ultimately set his path toward becoming a writer. Discuss how youthful imagination leads others toward different goals.
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)