|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
2. What interpretation does Stephen give to his dream and visions of beasts in the field?
3. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
4. What suddenly awakens in Stephen as he revels in nature along the breakwater?
5. What worries Stephen about his devotions?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on following your dreams. What might have happened to Stephen if he abandoned his dream of becoming an artist? From that perspective, write your essay on the importance of pursuing a career path that is ultimately fulfilling.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of imagination. It was Stephen's imagination in his early years, coupled with his love of language, that ultimately set his path toward becoming a writer. Discuss how youthful imagination leads others toward different goals.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the imagery of myths and fables. Start with the myth of Daedalus and Icarus. Explain how Icarus' fatal flight can be used to illustrate a person's reaching for a dream. Include in the essay the image of a father giving advice to his son and the rebelliousness of the son. In this novel, that imagery applies more to Stephen and his mother.
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)