|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the rector announce that will take place on Friday?
2. What does Stephen resolve to do?
3. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
4. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
5. What offer does the director make to Stephen when he calls him to his office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the imagery of myths and fables. Start with the myth of Daedalus and Icarus. Explain how Icarus' fatal flight can be used to illustrate a person's reaching for a dream. Include in the essay the image of a father giving advice to his son and the rebelliousness of the son. In this novel, that imagery applies more to Stephen and his mother.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the idea of love at first sight. Use Stephen's early encounter with the girl on the tram as a starting point. Express your opinion about the concept of love at first sight. Include an example from modern day experience.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the value of imagination. It was Stephen's imagination in his early years, coupled with his love of language, that ultimately set his path toward becoming a writer. Discuss how youthful imagination leads others toward different goals.
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)