|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen see his acts of devotion to God?
2. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
3. What worries Stephen about his devotions?
4. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
5. What begins to needle him and cause minor disruptions to his devotions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the importance of self-reliance. By contrast to Stephen, it was Cranly who was ultimately alone. In your essay explain how being self-reliant actually makes a person more attractive to others.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on decision making. The symbolism of Stephen's pacing back and forth between the chapel and Byron's pub is his crossroads decision to return to the church and become a priest or give in to his desire to become an artist. In your essay discuss both the rational and emotional elements involved in decision making process.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on political and religious bigotry. Explain in your essay how stubbornly held biases are divisive and foster hate and mistrust. Discuss how it is possible for people with different political and religious views to live peacefully together.
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)