|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen think about when he hears his name called?
2. What offer does the director make to Stephen when he calls him to his office?
3. What is happening with Stephen during further hard times for the family?
4. How does Stephen now view his life?
5. What is the symbolism used to show Stephen's returning to nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the value of imagination. It was Stephen's imagination in his early years, coupled with his love of language, that ultimately set his path toward becoming a writer. Discuss how youthful imagination leads others toward different goals.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the inner conflict most people have in trying to live out their religion. The basic idea of most religion is to control natural impulses. Give your opinion on how that creates problems with daily living.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the imagery of myths and fables. Start with the myth of Daedalus and Icarus. Explain how Icarus' fatal flight can be used to illustrate a person's reaching for a dream. Include in the essay the image of a father giving advice to his son and the rebelliousness of the son. In this novel, that imagery applies more to Stephen and his mother.
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)