|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen see his acts of devotion to God?
2. Where does Stephen's walking around in smaller and smaller circles eventually lead him?
3. At the first of the retreat, what helps to awaken Stephen's soul slightly?
4. What about his life in the past does Stephen now wonder about?
5. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on decision making. The symbolism of Stephen's pacing back and forth between the chapel and Byron's pub is his crossroads decision to return to the church and become a priest or give in to his desire to become an artist. In your essay discuss both the rational and emotional elements involved in decision making process.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the value of imagination. It was Stephen's imagination in his early years, coupled with his love of language, that ultimately set his path toward becoming a writer. Discuss how youthful imagination leads others toward different goals.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on political and religious bigotry. Explain in your essay how stubbornly held biases are divisive and foster hate and mistrust. Discuss how it is possible for people with different political and religious views to live peacefully together.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)