|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could Stephen's thoughts after leaving the director's office be described in one word?
2. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
3. What about his life in the past does Stephen now wonder about?
4. What is Stephen coming to believe about gaining wisdom?
5. What is the symbolism used to show Stephen's returning to nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the subject of bullying. The boy named Wells is a good example of student bullying. Father Dolan is an example of adult to child bullying. In your essay discuss the harmful effects of bullying on the victims and also the perpetrators.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about symbolism in literature. Refer to the bridge crossing of Stephen right after he saw the Christian brothers go across. Explain the symbolism of his making a life crossing at that moment that would lead him in a whole different direction.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on decision making. The symbolism of Stephen's pacing back and forth between the chapel and Byron's pub is his crossroads decision to return to the church and become a priest or give in to his desire to become an artist. In your essay discuss both the rational and emotional elements involved in decision making process.
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)