|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the rector announce to the class?
2. What is it about his mother that really bothers Stephen when the subject of the university comes up?
3. Whose innocence does Stephen remember trampling on?
4. Since the only sins Stephen has to confess these days are minor, what does his confessor want him to name?
5. What worries Stephen about his devotions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay entitled, "Why James Joyce is Still Cool." This essay will center around the idea that Joyce's works are as relevant today as they were when they were written. It will also include his fresh approach to writing that makes the reader not want to put the book down. Some mention should also be included about the characters in his novels and what makes them cool as well.
Essay Topic 2
Write a review of A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN. Discuss style, language, interest, ease of reading and understanding, and plot development. Whether you give the novel a positive or negative rating, state your reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on following your dreams. What might have happened to Stephen if he abandoned his dream of becoming an artist? From that perspective, write your essay on the importance of pursuing a career path that is ultimately fulfilling.
This section contains 325 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)