|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stephen coming to believe about gaining wisdom?
2. Who from the Bible are contrasted by the preacher?
3. What begins to needle him and cause minor disruptions to his devotions?
4. Alone in his room, what does Stephen see when he closes his eyes?
5. On his guilt trips, what does Stephen believe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Write an essay on the inner conflict most people have in trying to live out their religion. The basic idea of most religion is to control natural impulses. Give your opinion on how that creates problems with daily living.
Essay Topic 2Write an essay about symbolism in literature. Refer to the bridge crossing of Stephen right after he saw the Christian brothers go across. Explain the symbolism of his making a life crossing at that moment that would lead him in a whole different direction.
Essay Topic 3Write an essay on political and religious bigotry. Explain in your essay how stubbornly held biases are divisive and foster hate and mistrust. Discuss how it is possible for people with different political and religious views to live peacefully together.
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)