|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephen's walking around in smaller and smaller circles eventually lead him?
2. What sensation does Stephen get while thinking back to Clongowes?
3. What is the symbolism used to show Stephen's returning to nature?
4. Leaving the director's office, what does Stephen think about the life offered him?
5. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on political and religious bigotry. Explain in your essay how stubbornly held biases are divisive and foster hate and mistrust. Discuss how it is possible for people with different political and religious views to live peacefully together.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on your opinion regarding corporal punishment in schools. Use the examples of the pandybat and the flogging of the runaways from the novel. Explain how effective you think corporal punishment is or is not. Give your opinion as to whether it should be banned in schools.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay stating your views of parochial education versus public school education. List in your essay the positives and negatives of each. End with your recommendations about education for young children.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)