|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does not want Stephen to go to the university?
2. How does Stephen now view his life?
3. What does Stephen seem to hear now that he has changed the course of his life?
4. Whose innocence does Stephen remember trampling on?
5. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a review of A PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST AS A YOUNG MAN. Discuss style, language, interest, ease of reading and understanding, and plot development. Whether you give the novel a positive or negative rating, state your reasons.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on your opinion regarding corporal punishment in schools. Use the examples of the pandybat and the flogging of the runaways from the novel. Explain how effective you think corporal punishment is or is not. Give your opinion as to whether it should be banned in schools.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay stating your views of parochial education versus public school education. List in your essay the positives and negatives of each. End with your recommendations about education for young children.
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)