|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How could Stephen's thoughts after leaving the director's office be described in one word?
2. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
3. Where does Stephen's walking around in smaller and smaller circles eventually lead him?
4. Who from the Bible are contrasted by the preacher?
5. Leaving the director's office, what does Stephen think about the life offered him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on obsessions. At age sixteen, Stephen's obsession was sex. However, people become obsessed by many other thing--making money, playing video games, drinking and partying, just to name a few. In your essay discuss how people get caught up in certain obsessions and how they tend to put themselves in situations where they can satisfy those desires.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on decision making. The symbolism of Stephen's pacing back and forth between the chapel and Byron's pub is his crossroads decision to return to the church and become a priest or give in to his desire to become an artist. In your essay discuss both the rational and emotional elements involved in decision making process.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the subject of bullying. The boy named Wells is a good example of student bullying. Father Dolan is an example of adult to child bullying. In your essay discuss the harmful effects of bullying on the victims and also the perpetrators.
This section contains 348 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)