|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What suddenly awakens in Stephen as he revels in nature along the breakwater?
(a) a better understanding of his family
(b) a desire to return to the church
(c) a new found creativity
(d) a longing for security
2. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
(a) mortifying the flesh
(b) sin and salvation
(c) death, judgment, hell, and heaven
(d) confession and renewal
3. How does Stephen see his acts of devotion to God?
(a) as pressing keys of a divine cash register
(b) as notches in a heavenly belt
(c) as tally marks on a chalkboard
(d) as protection against prostitutes
4. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
(a) They give him a good laugh.
(b) They make him reject the teaching of the Church.
(c) They pierce Stephen's clouded mind and sin-numbed soul.
(d) They put him to sleep.
5. What sensation does Stephen get while thinking back to Clongowes?
(a) He feels all grown up.
(b) He feels ashamed of his father's financial difficulties.
(c) He feels like the retreat is like falling into a ditch.
(d) He feels his soul become childlike.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the first of the retreat, what helps to awaken Stephen's soul slightly?
2. What does Stephen think about when he hears his name called?
3. What begins to take on an attractive appearance to Stephen?
4. What is it about his mother that really bothers Stephen when the subject of the university comes up?
5. What goes through Stephen's head as he enters the confessional?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)