|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen come to view all of creation?
(a) as an accident of nature
(b) as an expression of God's love and power
(c) as a reminder of the lust in the world
(d) as the evolution of the species
2. Whose innocence does Stephen remember trampling on?
(a) the girl on the tram
(b) a girl named Emma
(c) a young prostitute
3. What does the rector announce that will take place on Friday?
(a) confession will be heard
(b) all classes will be shortened
(c) a day of prayer and meditation will be observed
(d) a banquet will be served
4. What interpretation does Stephen give to his dream and visions of beasts in the field?
(a) That he will reincarnate as a beast.
(b) That he will find salvation in a field.
(c) That anyone looking at him will know his sins.
(d) That it is the hell awaiting him: bestial and foul.
5. What does Stephen feel by allowing sin to creep near to him before resisting it at the last moment?
(a) an intolerable weakness
(b) like playing a joke on the devil
(c) a sense of power
(d) a terrible fear
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephen's walking around in smaller and smaller circles eventually lead him?
2. How old is Stephen when he goes to confess his terrible sin?
3. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
4. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
5. How does Stephen now view the guardians of his boyhood?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)