|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the rector say the retreat signifies?
(a) a time off for good behavior
(b) a dedication to better study
(c) a withdrawal from the worldly cares
(d) a chance to enter the seminary
2. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
(a) only joy and pain
(b) only hunger and thirst
(c) only brief anger and lust
(d) only anxiety and fear
3. What about his life in the past does Stephen now wonder about?
(a) why he refused the priesthood
(b) why he had been born
(c) why his family always had such bad luck
(d) why he always thinks too much
4. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
(a) the fear of God
(b) the priest is watching him
(c) the Virgin Mary
(d) the peacefulness of the chapel
5. What does Stephen discover when he returns home from the director's office?
(a) The family is being forced to move again.
(b) His father is in the hospital.
(c) Uncle Charles has died.
(d) They are all excited about his becoming a priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
2. How does Stephen now view the guardians of his boyhood?
3. Since the only sins Stephen has to confess these days are minor, what does his confessor want him to name?
4. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
5. After the confession, how does Stephen feel?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)