|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen now view the guardians of his boyhood?
(a) as ways of keeping him ignorant
(b) as the factor that has made him strong
(c) as means of controlling him
(d) as necessary influences
2. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
(a) the treatment Jesus endured at the hands of man
(b) the heads of people who willfully sin
(c) the eternal suffering in hell
(d) the prison for those who commit murder
3. How does the director describe the life of a priest?
(a) as one of constant meditation and prayer
(b) as being a way to become rich
(c) as having authority and power without material cares
(d) as being free from all temptation
4. What suddenly awakens in Stephen as he revels in nature along the breakwater?
(a) a new found creativity
(b) a longing for security
(c) a better understanding of his family
(d) a desire to return to the church
5. Where does Stephen's father want to send him?
(a) the university
(b) to a trade school
(c) to Australia
(d) to New York
Short Answer Questions
1. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
2. What does Stephen suddenly realize about his family relationships?
3. Whose innocence does Stephen remember trampling on?
4. How does the priest react to Stephen's confession?
5. What does Stephen think when he sees his friends playing in the water?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)