|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Stephen exert enormous energy in filling his days with penitent devotion, zealous prayers, and rosary recitations?
(a) to prepare himself for the seminary
(b) to please his mother
(c) in elaborate attempts to mortify his senses
(d) to memorize Catholic ritual
2. What does the preacher say is available to the living to spare them from this everlasting torment?
(a) candles and incense
(d) unqualified absolution
3. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
(a) the eternal suffering in hell
(b) the treatment Jesus endured at the hands of man
(c) the heads of people who willfully sin
(d) the prison for those who commit murder
4. On his guilt trips, what does Stephen believe?
(a) that maybe there is no God and no need for religion
(b) that he can confess to the Virgin and never do it again
(c) that God created him the way he is and there is nothing he can do about it
(d) that false homage to God cannot atone for sin as grievous as his.
5. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
(a) His attitude is one of boredom.
(b) His heart withers with fear.
(c) He plans to be sick next Friday.
(d) He is glad he will have a chance to reform.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
2. What does Stephen suddenly realize about his family relationships?
3. What is it about his mother that really bothers Stephen when the subject of the university comes up?
4. What distracting sight does Stephen come upon while he wades in the water?
5. Where does Stephen's father want to send him?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)