|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the preacher say is available to the living to spare them from this everlasting torment?
(a) candles and incense
(b) unqualified absolution
2. How does Stephen see his acts of devotion to God?
(a) as notches in a heavenly belt
(b) as protection against prostitutes
(c) as tally marks on a chalkboard
(d) as pressing keys of a divine cash register
3. Although he purposefully enters the brothel, how does he feel later?
(a) justified that he acted only out of nature
(b) wounded and shamed by much of what he perceives there
(c) numbed as though he had not gone in
(d) disturbed that he cannot save the workers there
4. What does Stephen feel by allowing sin to creep near to him before resisting it at the last moment?
(a) a terrible fear
(b) like playing a joke on the devil
(c) a sense of power
(d) an intolerable weakness
5. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
(a) His attitude is one of boredom.
(b) His heart withers with fear.
(c) He is glad he will have a chance to reform.
(d) He plans to be sick next Friday.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stephen's condition as he leaves the retreat?
2. How does Stephen begin to see his mother's faith?
3. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
4. What does the rector say the retreat signifies?
5. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)