|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
(a) to ask the rector a difficult question
(b) to put an apple on the rector's desk
(c) to lead a salute to the rector
(d) to pretend to plug up his ears
2. What offer does the director make to Stephen when he calls him to his office?
(a) to join the Jesuits
(b) to become his assistant
(c) to become the student enforcer
(d) to skip a grade in school
3. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
(a) the heads of people who willfully sin
(b) the treatment Jesus endured at the hands of man
(c) the eternal suffering in hell
(d) the prison for those who commit murder
4. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
(a) his many daily temptations
(b) his ability to avoid temptation
(c) his interest in the lives of saints
(d) his lingering guilt for his past
5. How old is Stephen when he goes to confess his terrible sin?
(a) just 14
(b) already 21
(c) about 19
(d) only 16
Short Answer Questions
1. As he goes outside, what serves to increase his piety?
2. What does Stephen seem to hear now that he has changed the course of his life?
3. What does the preacher say is available to the living to spare them from this everlasting torment?
4. How does Stephen now view the guardians of his boyhood?
5. What distracting sight does Stephen come upon while he wades in the water?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)