|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although he purposefully enters the brothel, how does he feel later?
(a) numbed as though he had not gone in
(b) wounded and shamed by much of what he perceives there
(c) disturbed that he cannot save the workers there
(d) justified that he acted only out of nature
2. How does Stephen come to view all of creation?
(a) as an expression of God's love and power
(b) as an accident of nature
(c) as a reminder of the lust in the world
(d) as the evolution of the species
3. What is it about his mother that really bothers Stephen when the subject of the university comes up?
(a) her objection to the expense
(b) her contempt for education
(c) her distrust of him
(d) her indifference
4. What distracting sight does Stephen come upon while he wades in the water?
(a) a passing ship headed for new adventures
(b) a porpoise leaping in the salty water
(c) a long legged crane perched on one leg
(d) a beautiful girl standing in the water gazing out to sea
5. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
(a) only brief anger and lust
(b) only anxiety and fear
(c) only joy and pain
(d) only hunger and thirst
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the preacher say is available to the living to spare them from this everlasting torment?
2. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
3. What offer does the director make to Stephen when he calls him to his office?
4. Since the only sins Stephen has to confess these days are minor, what does his confessor want him to name?
5. What interpretation does Stephen give to his dream and visions of beasts in the field?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)