|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What begins to needle him and cause minor disruptions to his devotions?
(a) images of Emma in his head
(b) remembering the girl on the tram
(c) the teasing of other boys
(d) imperfections in himself
2. How does Stephen begin to see his mother's faith?
(a) as fading away with the family trials
(b) as being disloyal toward him
(c) as being insincere and empty
(d) as being the cause of his father's failures
3. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
(a) his interest in the lives of saints
(b) his many daily temptations
(c) his ability to avoid temptation
(d) his lingering guilt for his past
4. How does the priest react to Stephen's confession?
(a) refusing to give absolution
(b) suspicious that the boy is exaggerating
(c) in shock and disgust
(d) with kind words and exhortation
5. How does Stephen come to view all of creation?
(a) as the evolution of the species
(b) as a reminder of the lust in the world
(c) as an accident of nature
(d) as an expression of God's love and power
Short Answer Questions
1. Since the only sins Stephen has to confess these days are minor, what does his confessor want him to name?
2. What is the symbolism used to show Stephen's returning to nature?
3. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
4. Alone in his room, what does Stephen see when he closes his eyes?
5. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)