|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does not want Stephen to go to the university?
(a) his brothers and sisters
(b) the Jesuits
(d) his mother
2. What does the preacher say is available to the living to spare them from this everlasting torment?
(c) candles and incense
(d) unqualified absolution
3. On his guilt trips, what does Stephen believe?
(a) that God created him the way he is and there is nothing he can do about it
(b) that maybe there is no God and no need for religion
(c) that false homage to God cannot atone for sin as grievous as his.
(d) that he can confess to the Virgin and never do it again
4. What does the preacher say awaits those who do not make use of the atonement of Christ to right their relationship with God?
5. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
(a) to find a chapel in which to confess
(b) to go by the brothels to see if he can overcome his lusts
(c) to find Emma and beg her forgiveness
(d) to return to school and see Father Arnall
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
2. Since the only sins Stephen has to confess these days are minor, what does his confessor want him to name?
3. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
4. After the confession, how does Stephen feel?
5. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)