|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
(a) peeping on girls in their bath
(b) the ribald poetery he wrote
(c) his sordid dreams and the foul letters he had written
(d) the filthy pictures he had drawn
2. What interpretation does Stephen give to his dream and visions of beasts in the field?
(a) That it is the hell awaiting him: bestial and foul.
(b) That anyone looking at him will know his sins.
(c) That he will reincarnate as a beast.
(d) That he will find salvation in a field.
3. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
(a) She has chosen him to be her white knight.
(b) She can order her Son to do her will.
(c) Mary does not humiliate the sinner who approaches her.
(d) As a mother, she overlooks the sins of her children.
4. What suddenly awakens in Stephen as he revels in nature along the breakwater?
(a) a new found creativity
(b) a better understanding of his family
(c) a longing for security
(d) a desire to return to the church
5. What worries Stephen about his devotions?
(a) that he is forgetting some improtant devltions
(b) that no degree of devotion shall ever be enough
(c) that he is not doing them the right way
(d) that there is not enough time in the day to do them all
Short Answer Questions
1. Although he purposefully enters the brothel, how does he feel later?
2. What distracting sight does Stephen come upon while he wades in the water?
3. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
4. What is happening with Stephen during further hard times for the family?
5. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)