|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
(a) only anxiety and fear
(b) only joy and pain
(c) only hunger and thirst
(d) only brief anger and lust
2. What begins to needle him and cause minor disruptions to his devotions?
(a) imperfections in himself
(b) remembering the girl on the tram
(c) images of Emma in his head
(d) the teasing of other boys
3. Where does Stephen's father want to send him?
(a) the university
(b) to Australia
(c) to New York
(d) to a trade school
4. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
(a) returns to look for the girl
(b) goes home to write poetry
(c) lies down and falls asleep
(d) runs home to tell his mother
5. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
(a) confession and renewal
(b) mortifying the flesh
(c) sin and salvation
(d) death, judgment, hell, and heaven
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins to take on an attractive appearance to Stephen?
2. How does Stephen now view the guardians of his boyhood?
3. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
4. How does Stephen now view his life?
5. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)