|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distracting sight does Stephen come upon while he wades in the water?
(a) a beautiful girl standing in the water gazing out to sea
(b) a porpoise leaping in the salty water
(c) a long legged crane perched on one leg
(d) a passing ship headed for new adventures
2. On his guilt trips, what does Stephen believe?
(a) that maybe there is no God and no need for religion
(b) that he can confess to the Virgin and never do it again
(c) that false homage to God cannot atone for sin as grievous as his.
(d) that God created him the way he is and there is nothing he can do about it
3. How could Stephen's thoughts after leaving the director's office be described in one word?
4. Leaving the director's office, what does Stephen think about the life offered him?
(a) He does not see the priest as being more devoted than he is.
(b) He is filled with fear that his family will reject him.
(c) He questions his motives for wanting to be a priest.
(d) He is filled with pride that the director thinks he is so good.
5. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
(a) He is glad he will have a chance to reform.
(b) His heart withers with fear.
(c) He plans to be sick next Friday.
(d) His attitude is one of boredom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interpretation does Stephen give to his dream and visions of beasts in the field?
2. What suddenly awakens in Stephen as he revels in nature along the breakwater?
3. What does the rector announce that will take place on Friday?
4. To what does Stephen devote each different day of the week?
5. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)