|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
(a) to ask the rector a difficult question
(b) to pretend to plug up his ears
(c) to lead a salute to the rector
(d) to put an apple on the rector's desk
2. What does the rector announce to the class?
(a) a retreat over the next few days
(b) tests for a scholarship program
(c) extra credit for serving as altarboys
(d) an early dismissal for the next few days
3. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
(a) as an addict who cannot help himself
(b) sunk into a swamp of spiritual and bodily sloth
(c) as a man and no longer a boy
(d) as a liberated Catholic
4. How does Stephen begin seeing himself?
(a) as an artist forging a new life
(b) as a rag picker without hope
(c) as a political leader of men
(d) as a stern disciplinarian of boys
5. How old is Stephen when he goes to confess his terrible sin?
(a) just 14
(b) about 19
(c) already 21
(d) only 16
Short Answer Questions
1. As he goes outside, what serves to increase his piety?
2. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
3. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
4. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
5. What does the preacher say awaits those who do not make use of the atonement of Christ to right their relationship with God?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)