|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the rector say the retreat signifies?
(a) a withdrawal from the worldly cares
(b) a time off for good behavior
(c) a chance to enter the seminary
(d) a dedication to better study
2. After the confession, how does Stephen feel?
(a) happy to tell everyone his joy
(b) glad that it is over but feeling the same
(c) euphoric and filled with grace
(d) afraid he will die before receiving holy communion
3. What about his life in the past does Stephen now wonder about?
(a) why he refused the priesthood
(b) why he had been born
(c) why his family always had such bad luck
(d) why he always thinks too much
4. What does the rector announce that will take place on Friday?
(a) all classes will be shortened
(b) a banquet will be served
(c) confession will be heard
(d) a day of prayer and meditation will be observed
5. How does the director describe the life of a priest?
(a) as being free from all temptation
(b) as having authority and power without material cares
(c) as one of constant meditation and prayer
(d) as being a way to become rich
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
2. What does Stephen discover when he returns home from the director's office?
3. What does Stephen think about when he hears his name called?
4. How does Stephen now view the guardians of his boyhood?
5. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)