|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Leaving the director's office, what does Stephen think about the life offered him?
(a) He is filled with pride that the director thinks he is so good.
(b) He is filled with fear that his family will reject him.
(c) He questions his motives for wanting to be a priest.
(d) He does not see the priest as being more devoted than he is.
2. What does Stephen discover when he returns home from the director's office?
(a) The family is being forced to move again.
(b) His father is in the hospital.
(c) They are all excited about his becoming a priest.
(d) Uncle Charles has died.
3. Where does Stephen's father want to send him?
(a) to New York
(b) to Australia
(c) to a trade school
(d) the university
4. How could Stephen's thoughts after leaving the director's office be described in one word?
5. What is it about his mother that really bothers Stephen when the subject of the university comes up?
(a) her indifference
(b) her distrust of him
(c) her objection to the expense
(d) her contempt for education
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen resolve to do?
2. How does the priest react to Stephen's confession?
3. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
4. How does Stephen begin seeing himself?
5. What does Stephen seem to hear now that he has changed the course of his life?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)