|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
(a) Saint Francis of Assissi
(b) Saint Francis Xavier, patron of the college
(c) Saint Jude, patron of lost causes
(d) The Virgin Mary
2. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
(a) the fear of God
(b) the peacefulness of the chapel
(c) the priest is watching him
(d) the Virgin Mary
3. What distracting sight does Stephen come upon while he wades in the water?
(a) a beautiful girl standing in the water gazing out to sea
(b) a passing ship headed for new adventures
(c) a long legged crane perched on one leg
(d) a porpoise leaping in the salty water
4. How does Stephen come to view all of creation?
(a) as an expression of God's love and power
(b) as an accident of nature
(c) as a reminder of the lust in the world
(d) as the evolution of the species
5. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
(a) He is glad he will have a chance to reform.
(b) His attitude is one of boredom.
(c) He plans to be sick next Friday.
(d) His heart withers with fear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen seem to hear now that he has changed the course of his life?
2. What sensation does Stephen get while thinking back to Clongowes?
3. What does Stephen feel by allowing sin to creep near to him before resisting it at the last moment?
4. Going through all these strict devotions, how does Stephen come to feel about himself?
5. What does Stephen resolve to do?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)