|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen discover when he returns home from the director's office?
(a) They are all excited about his becoming a priest.
(b) The family is being forced to move again.
(c) His father is in the hospital.
(d) Uncle Charles has died.
2. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
(a) only brief anger and lust
(b) only hunger and thirst
(c) only anxiety and fear
(d) only joy and pain
3. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
(a) to go by the brothels to see if he can overcome his lusts
(b) to find Emma and beg her forgiveness
(c) to return to school and see Father Arnall
(d) to find a chapel in which to confess
4. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
(a) confession and renewal
(b) mortifying the flesh
(c) death, judgment, hell, and heaven
(d) sin and salvation
5. What about his life in the past does Stephen now wonder about?
(a) why his family always had such bad luck
(b) why he had been born
(c) why he refused the priesthood
(d) why he always thinks too much
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins to needle him and cause minor disruptions to his devotions?
2. What does Stephen suddenly realize about his family relationships?
3. Alone in his room, what does Stephen see when he closes his eyes?
4. What does the rector say the retreat signifies?
5. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)