|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose innocence does Stephen remember trampling on?
(a) a young prostitute
(b) the girl on the tram
(d) a girl named Emma
2. Who does not want Stephen to go to the university?
(a) the Jesuits
(b) his brothers and sisters
(d) his mother
3. Where does Stephen's walking around in smaller and smaller circles eventually lead him?
(a) to the brothel quarter
(b) to his home
(c) the the church
(d) to the school
4. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
(a) She has chosen him to be her white knight.
(b) She can order her Son to do her will.
(c) As a mother, she overlooks the sins of her children.
(d) Mary does not humiliate the sinner who approaches her.
5. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
(a) as an addict who cannot help himself
(b) sunk into a swamp of spiritual and bodily sloth
(c) as a man and no longer a boy
(d) as a liberated Catholic
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the preacher say awaits those who do not make use of the atonement of Christ to right their relationship with God?
2. How could Stephen's thoughts after leaving the director's office be described in one word?
3. How does Stephen begin seeing himself?
4. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
5. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)