|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What goes through Stephen's head as he enters the confessional?
(a) He wishes his sin had been any but the one it is.
(b) He wonders if the priest will recognize his voice.
(c) He considers running away.
(d) He anticipates great relief afterward.
2. As he goes outside, what serves to increase his piety?
(a) the songs of the birds
(b) the smell of baking bread
(c) the sound of bells
(d) the raw morning air
3. What begins to take on an attractive appearance to Stephen?
(a) having religious discussions
(b) the idea of becoming a priest
(c) his face in the mirror
(d) giving in to temptation
4. How does the priest react to Stephen's confession?
(a) in shock and disgust
(b) refusing to give absolution
(c) suspicious that the boy is exaggerating
(d) with kind words and exhortation
5. What begins to needle him and cause minor disruptions to his devotions?
(a) remembering the girl on the tram
(b) images of Emma in his head
(c) imperfections in himself
(d) the teasing of other boys
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephen's father want to send him?
2. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
3. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
4. How old is Stephen when he goes to confess his terrible sin?
5. What offer does the director make to Stephen when he calls him to his office?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)