|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
(a) He rushes off.
(b) He looks for the girl.
(c) He hides backstage.
(d) He goes to a cast party.
2. What does Heron claim Lord Byron to be?
(a) to be an imposter
(b) to be a Frenchman
(c) to be a hack writer
(d) to be an immoral heretic
3. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
(a) Stephen does not return to Clongowes.
(b) Stephen's family moves again.
(c) Stephen works out on the track with Mike.
(d) Stephen finds a steady job.
4. What does Stephen figure out about his not returning to Clongowes?
(a) From then on he will be home schooled.
(b) They plan to send him to England to study.
(c) His father has converted to Protestantism.
(d) It signifies a change in his father's finances.
5. By summer, where has the family moved?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
2. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
3. What was Stephen's early song?
4. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
5. What public transportation does Stephen take?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
2. Write down how Stephen hears hell described.
3. Mention something about the antagonism Stephen forms toward his mother.
4. How does Stephen connect his family name with the new course of his life?
5. What is Stephen's impression of Clongowes Wood College?
6. What is the extent of Stephen's knowledge of Parnell?
7. Explain how the priest introduces the subject of hell.
8. Having freed himself from religion, how does Stephen see himself?
9. How does Stephen try to help his family?
10. What is Stephen's general impression of priests?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)