|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
2. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
(a) the need to make money
(b) the wasting fires of lust
(c) the lack of faith
(d) the bad influences of his friends
3. What does Stephen complain about to the rector?
(a) broken fingers
(b) Father Dolan interfering in Father Arnall's class
(c) broken blood vessels in his hands
(d) unjust punishment
4. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
(c) the girl from the tram
5. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
(a) his habit of cutting classes
(b) his habit of obedience
(c) his habit of eavesdropping
(d) his habit of writing poems
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
2. When does Stephen feel happy?
3. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
4. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
5. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Relate the conversation Stephen overhears about runaway boys.
2. What is the extent of Stephen's knowledge of Parnell?
3. Explain Stephen's feelings about his sinful nature.
4. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
5. Detail Stephen's experience at acting in a play at school.
6. Describe Stephen's new outlook on the love of God.
7. Describe Stephen's feelings about himself faced with the upcoming retreat.
8. Briefly describe the argument between Dante and Mr. Casey.
9. What is the evidence of stress on the family's having to move again?
10. How does Stephen encounter the dean of studies?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)