|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(b) a visit to a clinic
(c) a job interview
(d) the auction of his property
2. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
(a) call the police
(b) put tacks in Father Dolan's chair
(c) visit the rector
(d) run away from the school
3. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
4. By summer, where has the family moved?
5. What does Stephen like in Doctor Cornwell's Spelling Book?
(a) margin notes he wrote
(b) nice sentences
(c) large print
(d) funny illustrations
Short Answer Questions
1. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
2. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
3. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
4. What is the literary method used in the novel?
5. During table conversation, what is a local Catholic priest accused of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
2. Detail Stephen's experience at acting in a play at school.
3. What is Stephen's general impression of priests?
4. Describe the conflict in Stephen as he leaves the director's office.
5. Relate the conversation Stephen overhears about runaway boys.
6. Describe the sixteen-year-old Stephen's confession.
7. Briefly describe the argument between Dante and Mr. Casey.
8. What punishments are to be meted out to the boys who ran away?
9. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
10. Contrast the definitions of what it means to be Irish between Davin and Stephen.
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)