|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
2. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
(a) his lack of proper education
(b) his youth and foolish impulses
(c) his inability to express himself
(d) his lack of ambition
3. Why is Stephen exempted from his classes?
(a) because he was perfect on his exams
(b) because he broke his arm
(c) because he is still running a fever
(d) because his glasses are broken
4. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
5. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
(a) He talks his parents into taking him home.
(b) He needs help to get out of the ditch.
(c) He becomes seriously ill.
(d) He plans a revenge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
2. What is a major theme of the book?
3. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
4. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
5. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
2. What are the sights and sounds that accompany Stephen's walk to the university in the mornings?
3. What punishments are to be meted out to the boys who ran away?
4. What happens on Sundays in Blackrock?
5. Briefly describe the argument between Dante and Mr. Casey.
6. What is the evidence of stress on the family's having to move again?
7. How is the cynicism of Stephen revealed in his encounter with a statue?
8. Describe Stephen's feelings about himself faced with the upcoming retreat.
9. Draw a picture of how Stephen keeps returning to the brothel quarter.
10. Describe Stephen's weekdays in Blackrock.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)