|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
(a) imaginary adventures
(b) a blood brother pact
(c) a team to make money
(d) ways to meet girls
2. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How she is too old for him.
(b) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
(c) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(d) How he would like to kick her.
3. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
(a) His glasses break.
(b) He runs away from Clongowes.
(c) He fights back.
(d) He gets a bloody nose.
4. For what does Stephen continually search?
(a) for his Mercedes
(b) for his friend Aubrey
(c) for his fortune
(d) for a job
5. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
(a) that she was going to cry
(b) that she was in a hurry to leave
(c) that her hat was on backwards
(d) that she wore too much perfume
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
2. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
3. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
4. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
5. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
2. Identify the disconnect between Stephen and his father.
3. Draw a picture of how Stephen keeps returning to the brothel quarter.
4. How is the cynicism of Stephen revealed in his encounter with a statue?
5. Explain the inconsistency of Stephens' devotion to his mother and his plans for his own future.
6. Describe the sixteen-year-old Stephen's confession.
7. Mention Stephen's attempt to join a group of boys after being publicly chided by a teacher.
8. What are the sights and sounds that accompany Stephen's walk to the university in the mornings?
9. Having freed himself from religion, how does Stephen see himself?
10. Tell about the punishment Father Dolan gives Fleming in the classroom.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)