|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Stephen's hands when Father Dolan does not believe his glasses broke by accident?
(a) They are placed in hot water.
(b) They are pressed against the wall.
(c) They are tied behind his back.
(d) They are given whacks with the pandybat.
2. What political figure becomes a topic of conversation and disagreement among the adults?
3. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
(d) His mother
4. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
(a) He has a broken leg.
(b) He is ashamed of his clothes.
(c) He drives a new carriage.
(d) He has grown too senile.
5. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
(a) as a hero
(b) as a tattle tale
(c) as an enemy
(d) as a sneak
Short Answer Questions
1. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
2. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
3. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
4. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
5. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Detail Stephen's experience at acting in a play at school.
2. Identify the symbolic passage of Stephen into his self-directed life course.
3. Describe the conversation around the Christmas meal table.
4. Explain the inconsistency of Stephens' devotion to his mother and his plans for his own future.
5. What was in the verses Stephen wrote about the girl on the tram?
6. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
7. How is the cynicism of Stephen revealed in his encounter with a statue?
8. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
9. Explain how the priest introduces the subject of hell.
10. Tell about the punishment Father Dolan gives Fleming in the classroom.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)