|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He calls her Mercedes.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He helps her off the tram.
(d) He sits her in his lap.
2. What emotion does Stephen have over the reversal of his family's fortunes?
3. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father Parnell
(b) Father Dolan
(c) Father O'Casey
(d) Father Arnall
4. What gives Stephen a second clue that all is not well financially with the family?
(a) His mother takes in laundry.
(b) He notices slight changes around the house.
(c) He does not get new clothes.
(d) His father sells the automobile.
5. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
(a) Father Arnall
(b) the bully Wells
(c) Father Dolan
(d) Tusker Boyle
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
2. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
3. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
4. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
5. What was Stephen's early song?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stephen try to help his family?
2. What is Stephen's general impression of priests?
3. What is the extent of Stephen's knowledge of Parnell?
4. Detail the paradox of Stephen's past and present in regard to the church.
5. What is Stephen's impression of Clongowes Wood College?
6. Relate Mr. Casey's account of an argument with a lady.
7. Tell how Stephen begins to look at his country in a different way.
8. Detail Stephen's experience at acting in a play at school.
9. Explain Stephen's feelings about his sinful nature.
10. Explain the inconsistency of Stephens' devotion to his mother and his plans for his own future.
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)