|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Stephen's favorite reading material?
(a) the newspaper
(b) The Pickwick Papers
(c) The Count of Monte Cristo
(d) comic books
2. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
(a) Stephen and Father
(b) Mother and Father
(c) Dante and Uncle Charles
(d) Dante and Mr. Casey
3. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
(c) Dublin Polytechnic
(d) Byron Academy
4. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
(a) He kisses her.
(b) He calls her Mercedes.
(c) He helps her off the tram.
(d) He sits her in his lap.
5. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
(a) the collected poems of Lord Byron
(b) newspaper headlines
(c) odes by Keats
(d) the Canterbury Tales
Short Answer Questions
1. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
2. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
3. What makes Stephen angry with himself?
4. What does Stephen do immediately after the play?
5. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the rector come into Stephen's classroom?
2. Describe the conversation around the Christmas meal table.
3. Relate Mr. Casey's account of an argument with a lady.
4. What does Stephen imagine about the girl named Emma?
5. Describe Stephen's weekdays in Blackrock.
6. Discuss briefly Stephen's inner conflict.
7. Identify the disconnect between Stephen and his father.
8. Tell how Stephen begins to look at his country in a different way.
9. Mention Stephen's attempt to join a group of boys after being publicly chided by a teacher.
10. How does Stephen define art to Lynch?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)