|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(b) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
(c) How he would like to kick her.
(d) How she is too old for him.
2. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
(a) in an apartment in London
(b) in a three storey house in Dublin
(c) in a small, whitewashed house outside of Blackrock
(d) on a houseboat
3. What is Stephen's most troubling problem as he sees it?
(a) the bad influences of his friends
(b) the need to make money
(c) the lack of faith
(d) the wasting fires of lust
4. When does Stephen feel happy?
(a) only when he sees the girl from the tram
(b) only when he is alone
(c) only when he has a sweet to eat
(d) only when he thinks of Mercedes
5. After the punishment, what are Flemming and Stephen told to do?
(a) return to their seats
(b) sit on the floor
(c) stand in the corner
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens in Stephen's poem about the girl in the tram?
2. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
3. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
4. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
5. By summer, where has the family moved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Stephen's general impression of priests?
2. At the beginning of the novel, what does Stephen remember?
3. Describe the beginnings of the poet in Stephen.
4. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
5. Identify the disconnect between Stephen and his father.
6. Classify Stephen as a university student.
7. Describe the philosophical conversation that Stephen has with the dean of studies.
8. Identify the symbolic passage of Stephen into his self-directed life course.
9. Describe the unjust punishment Father Dolan gives Stephen.
10. How is the cynicism of Stephen revealed in his encounter with a statue?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)