|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
(a) in a small, whitewashed house outside of Blackrock
(b) in a three storey house in Dublin
(c) on a houseboat
(d) in an apartment in London
2. What goes through Stephen's mind about the beautiful girl at the party?
(a) How much she looks like Mercedes.
(b) How he could easily catch hold of her and kiss her.
(c) How he would like to kick her.
(d) How she is too old for him.
3. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
(a) They spit in the holy water.
(b) They went to sea.
(c) They stole from the collection box.
(d) They drank communion wine.
4. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
(a) Stephen's family moves again.
(b) Stephen works out on the track with Mike.
(c) Stephen finds a steady job.
(d) Stephen does not return to Clongowes.
5. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
(a) his habit of eavesdropping
(b) his habit of cutting classes
(c) his habit of writing poems
(d) his habit of obedience
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
2. What is demanded by boys Stephen meets on the road?
3. What results from Stephen's meeting to complain about Father Dolan?
4. What results when Stephen is bullied again?
5. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction of the students after Stephen goes to see the rector?
2. Describe the philosophical conversation that Stephen has with the dean of studies.
3. What punishments are to be meted out to the boys who ran away?
4. Tell about the punishment Father Dolan gives Fleming in the classroom.
5. How does Stephen define art to Lynch?
6. Explain Stephen's feelings about his sinful nature.
7. Detail Stephen's experience at acting in a play at school.
8. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
9. How does Father Arnall explain the purpose of the retreat?
10. Describe Stephen's new outlook on the love of God.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)