|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
(a) Mother and Father
(b) Dante and Uncle Charles
(c) Dante and Mr. Casey
(d) Stephen and Father
2. What are Stephen's father and the priests always urging him to do?
(a) to enter the priesthood
(b) to work harder at his lessons
(c) to confess his sins daily
(d) to be a gentleman and a good Catholic
3. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
(a) spit tobacco juice in her eye
(b) stepped on her toes
(c) showed her his backside
(d) slapped her with his gloves
4. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
(a) Stephen finds a steady job.
(b) Stephen does not return to Clongowes.
(c) Stephen's family moves again.
(d) Stephen works out on the track with Mike.
5. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
(a) He has grown too senile.
(b) He drives a new carriage.
(c) He has a broken leg.
(d) He is ashamed of his clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
2. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
3. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
4. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
5. What choice is given two of the older boys after the group of runaways is returned to Clongowes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Stephen's new outlook on the love of God.
2. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
3. Describe the beginnings of the poet in Stephen.
4. Write down how Stephen hears hell described.
5. Describe the sixteen-year-old Stephen's confession.
6. How does Stephen encounter the dean of studies?
7. Mention something about the antagonism Stephen forms toward his mother.
8. What are some of the specifics Stephen is troubled by from his past life?
9. How does Stephen define art to Lynch?
10. What happens on Sundays in Blackrock?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)