|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets into an argument during Christmas dinner?
(a) Mother and Father
(b) Stephen and Father
(c) Dante and Uncle Charles
(d) Dante and Mr. Casey
2. Why does Uncle Charles no longer walk to the shops?
(a) He has grown too senile.
(b) He is ashamed of his clothes.
(c) He has a broken leg.
(d) He drives a new carriage.
3. What do the boys at school tease Stephen about?
(a) writing letters to Eileen
(b) wearing short pants
(c) wetting his bed
(d) kissing his mother before bedtime
4. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father O'Casey
(b) Father Dolan
(c) Father Parnell
(d) Father Arnall
5. Who is Mike Flynn?
(a) The man who who supervises Stephen's runs around the track.
(b) The man who buys Stephen's father's business.
(c) The man Stephen's father works for.
(d) The man Stephen goes to work for.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a major theme of the book?
2. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
3. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
4. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
5. Where does Stephen keep himself during the football game?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Stephen's feelings about his sinful nature.
2. What are some of the specifics Stephen is troubled by from his past life?
3. How does Stephen connect his family name with the new course of his life?
4. Mention something about the antagonism Stephen forms toward his mother.
5. Explain something of the longing that Stephen feels even from an early age.
6. Identify the symbolic passage of Stephen into his self-directed life course.
7. Detail Stephen's experience at acting in a play at school.
8. Contrast the definitions of what it means to be Irish between Davin and Stephen.
9. Identify the disconnect between Stephen and his father.
10. What happens on Sundays in Blackrock?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)