|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
(a) Father Dolan
(b) Father Parnell
(c) Father Arnall
(d) Father O'Casey
2. How does Stephen regulate the noise he hears in the refractory?
(a) putting beans in his ears
(b) closing and opening the flaps of his ears
(c) humming softly to himself
(d) shutting out sound by concentration on home
3. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
(a) visit the rector
(b) call the police
(c) run away from the school
(d) put tacks in Father Dolan's chair
4. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
(a) He speaks with a devoutly religious voice.
(b) He speaks only as an Irish nationalist.
(c) He speaks largely from Stephen's perspective.
(d) He speaks mainly from Stephen's mother's point of view.
5. Who suggests that Stephen broke his glasses himself in order to get out of his schoolwork?
(a) Father Arnall
(b) Father Dolan
(c) the bully Wells
(d) Tusker Boyle
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Casey say he did to a woman who was speaking ill of Parnell?
2. Who is Mike Flynn?
3. What is the first occasion for Stephen to return home from school?
4. What do Stephen and Aubrey do in the meadow?
5. What does Stephen do about new words he hears the adults use?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the beginning of the novel, what does Stephen remember?
2. How does Stephen try to help his family?
3. How does Stephen define art to Lynch?
4. What was in the verses Stephen wrote about the girl on the tram?
5. Explain something of the longing that Stephen feels even from an early age.
6. What does Stephen imagine about the girl named Emma?
7. Discuss briefly Stephen's longing for a loving embrace.
8. How does Father Arnall explain the purpose of the retreat?
9. Describe Stephen's feelings about himself faced with the upcoming retreat.
10. What are the subject of the retreat and what do they cause Stephen to think about?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)