|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
(a) They drank communion wine.
(b) They stole from the collection box.
(c) They went to sea.
(d) They spit in the holy water.
2. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
(a) gambling and drinking
(b) Irish legends and music
(c) religion and business
(d) mostly of politics and family legends
3. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
4. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
(a) as a sneak
(b) as a hero
(c) as a tattle tale
(d) as an enemy
5. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(b) the auction of his property
(c) a job interview
(d) a visit to a clinic
Short Answer Questions
1. After what does Stephen model his poem titles in his notebook?
2. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
3. What is the name of the character Stephen is fixated on?
4. What does Stephen wonder about Father Arnall's getting upset?
5. Who bumps Stephen into a square ditch of slimy, cold water?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stephen imagine about the girl named Emma?
2. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
3. Describe Stephen's feelings about himself faced with the upcoming retreat.
4. Detail Stephen's experience at acting in a play at school.
5. What is Stephen's general impression of priests?
6. How does Stephen define art to Lynch?
7. Tell how Stephen begins to look at his country in a different way.
8. Mention something about the antagonism Stephen forms toward his mother.
9. At the beginning of the novel, what does Stephen remember?
10. Relate Mr. Casey's account of an argument with a lady.
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)