|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comment does Father make that he is admonished not to say in front of Stephen?
(a) Stephen's father calls religious education a "blight on the land."
(b) Stephen's father calls the language of the Holy Ghost "bad language."
(c) Stephen's father calls all priests "instruments of the devil."
(d) Stephen's father calls the British "the saviors of Ireland."
2. By summer, where has the family moved?
3. Where do Stephen and his father go at night by rail?
(a) to Belfast
(b) to Gallway
(c) to Cork
(d) to Clongowes
4. While onstage delivering his lines, who does Stephen see in the audience?
(a) his father with a strange woman
(b) the girl from the tram
(c) Uncle Charles and Dante
(d) Father Arnall
5. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
(a) Dublin Polytechnic
(b) Byron Academy
Short Answer Questions
1. What limits the omniscience of the narrator of the story?
2. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
3. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
4. What is a major theme of the book?
5. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
Short Essay Questions
1. Classify Stephen as a university student.
2. Why does Stephen take a train trip with his father?
3. Describe Stephen's new outlook on the love of God.
4. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
5. Describe the beginnings of the poet in Stephen.
6. Mention Stephen's attempt to join a group of boys after being publicly chided by a teacher.
7. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
8. Describe Stephen's feelings about himself faced with the upcoming retreat.
9. How does Stephen connect his family name with the new course of his life?
10. Having freed himself from religion, how does Stephen see himself?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)