|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephen suspect is also in the audience the night of the play?
(b) the girl from the tram
2. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
(a) mostly of politics and family legends
(b) gambling and drinking
(c) Irish legends and music
(d) religion and business
3. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) a visit to a clinic
(b) a job interview
(c) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
(d) the auction of his property
4. How do the boys see Stephen after he talks with the rector?
(a) as a tattle tale
(b) as a hero
(c) as a sneak
(d) as an enemy
5. What job is given to Stephen?
(a) delivering newspapers
(b) doing laundry
(c) carrying messages
(d) unpacking boxes
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
2. What happens when summer vacation is over for Stephen?
3. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
4. What habit does Stephen hang onto?
5. How does Stephen follow the adult conversation at Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the beginnings of the poet in Stephen.
2. What does Stephen imagine about the girl named Emma?
3. At the beginning of the novel, what does Stephen remember?
4. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
5. What are the subject of the retreat and what do they cause Stephen to think about?
6. Tell how Stephen begins to look at his country in a different way.
7. Discuss briefly Stephen's inner conflict.
8. What is the evidence of stress on the family's having to move again?
9. Describe the philosophical conversation that Stephen has with the dean of studies.
10. Explain Stephen's feelings about his sinful nature.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)