|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephen fantasize about marrying when he grows up?
(b) His mother
2. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
3. What do Stephen and Aubrey Mills formulate?
(a) a blood brother pact
(b) a team to make money
(c) ways to meet girls
(d) imaginary adventures
4. What results from Stephen's fall into the ditch?
(a) He plans a revenge.
(b) He needs help to get out of the ditch.
(c) He talks his parents into taking him home.
(d) He becomes seriously ill.
5. Where does Stephen imagine he will live when he gets married?
(a) in a small, whitewashed house outside of Blackrock
(b) in a three storey house in Dublin
(c) in an apartment in London
(d) on a houseboat
Short Answer Questions
1. After Blackrock, where does the family move?
2. Which of the older boys opted for the flogging?
3. Who gets upset when several of the boys cannot answer a question correctly in Latin class?
4. What is a major theme of the book?
5. Who does Stephen know for sure is in the audience for a play he is in at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Stephen's feelings about his sinful nature.
2. Explain the inconsistency of Stephens' devotion to his mother and his plans for his own future.
3. How does Stephen connect his family name with the new course of his life?
4. Discuss briefly Stephen's longing for a loving embrace.
5. What is Stephen's general impression of priests?
6. What punishments are to be meted out to the boys who ran away?
7. What describes Stephen's deepening connection with literature?
8. What are the subject of the retreat and what do they cause Stephen to think about?
9. How does Stephen encounter the dean of studies?
10. What happens on Sundays in Blackrock?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)