Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What scandalous suggestion is rumored about the five boys who ran away?
(a) They were caught peeping into ladies' bedrooms.
(b) They had smuggled a prostitute into the school
(c) They were caught "smugging" in the square with two younger boys.
(d) They were showing their bottoms to ladies on the street.
2. After the punishment, what do the boys urge Stephen to do?
(a) call the police
(b) run away from the school
(c) visit the rector
(d) put tacks in Father Dolan's chair
3. What does Stephen keep pasted inside his desk?
(a) a countdown to the holidays
(b) answers to test questions
(c) a photo of Eileen
(d) a letter from his mother
4. What is the purpose of the trip that causes Stephen's father to sip from his flask?
(a) a visit to a clinic
(b) the auction of his property
(c) a job interview
(d) Stephen's grandmother's funeral
5. What do the older men Stephen walks with usually talk about?
(a) mostly of politics and family legends
(b) religion and business
(c) gambling and drinking
(d) Irish legends and music
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Stephen's early song?
2. At school, what is the unusual word Stephen sees carved into a desk?
3. What does Stephen pretend not to notice when his mother says goodbye to him at school?
4. What is the name of the school Stephen next enrolls in?
5. What is the rumor about the five boys who ran away from Clongowes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Contrast the definitions of what it means to be Irish between Davin and Stephen.
2. Tell about the punishment Father Dolan gives Fleming in the classroom.
3. Why does the rector come into Stephen's classroom?
4. Describe Stephen's first encounter with the girl on the tram.
5. Briefly describe the argument between Dante and Mr. Casey.
6. Explain the effort Stephen puts in to remain pious.
7. Describe the sixteen-year-old Stephen's confession.
8. What is the evidence of stress on the family's having to move again?
9. Explain Stephen's feelings about his sinful nature.
10. Classify Stephen as a university student.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)