|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen begin to see his mother's faith?
(a) as being insincere and empty
(b) as being the cause of his father's failures
(c) as being disloyal toward him
(d) as fading away with the family trials
2. Who from the Bible are contrasted by the preacher?
(a) Adam and Eve are contrasted with Christ.
(b) Moses is contrasted with Christ.
(c) Pontius Pilate is contrasted with christ.
(d) Pharaoh is contrasted with Christ.
3. What strikes fear into the sinner, but is a blessed moment for the believer?
(a) the Eucharist
(c) the divil
4. Whose innocence does Stephen remember trampling on?
(b) a young prostitute
(c) the girl on the tram
(d) a girl named Emma
5. What about his life in the past does Stephen now wonder about?
(a) why he always thinks too much
(b) why his family always had such bad luck
(c) why he refused the priesthood
(d) why he had been born
6. What sensation does Stephen get while thinking back to Clongowes?
(a) He feels all grown up.
(b) He feels his soul become childlike.
(c) He feels like the retreat is like falling into a ditch.
(d) He feels ashamed of his father's financial difficulties.
7. What does Stephen discover when he returns home from the director's office?
(a) His father is in the hospital.
(b) They are all excited about his becoming a priest.
(c) The family is being forced to move again.
(d) Uncle Charles has died.
8. What does Stephen feel by allowing sin to creep near to him before resisting it at the last moment?
(a) like playing a joke on the devil
(b) a sense of power
(c) a terrible fear
(d) an intolerable weakness
9. What interpretation does Stephen give to his dream and visions of beasts in the field?
(a) That it is the hell awaiting him: bestial and foul.
(b) That he will reincarnate as a beast.
(c) That he will find salvation in a field.
(d) That anyone looking at him will know his sins.
10. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
(a) his many daily temptations
(b) his interest in the lives of saints
(c) his ability to avoid temptation
(d) his lingering guilt for his past
11. What goes through Stephen's head as he enters the confessional?
(a) He considers running away.
(b) He anticipates great relief afterward.
(c) He wishes his sin had been any but the one it is.
(d) He wonders if the priest will recognize his voice.
12. What is Stephen's condition as he leaves the retreat?
(a) Stephen is rebellious against all he had heard.
(b) Stephen is determined to leave the Church.
(c) Stephen is happy that he has overcome his lusts.
(d) Stephen is so sick he fears he may have already died.
13. After the confession, how does Stephen feel?
(a) euphoric and filled with grace
(b) happy to tell everyone his joy
(c) afraid he will die before receiving holy communion
(d) glad that it is over but feeling the same
14. Who does not want Stephen to go to the university?
(a) his brothers and sisters
(c) the Jesuits
(d) his mother
15. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
(a) as an addict who cannot help himself
(b) as a man and no longer a boy
(c) sunk into a swamp of spiritual and bodily sloth
(d) as a liberated Catholic
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen resolve to do?
2. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
3. What does the rector announce to the class?
4. Although he purposefully enters the brothel, how does he feel later?
5. What does the preacher say awaits those who do not make use of the atonement of Christ to right their relationship with God?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)