|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What begins to needle him and cause minor disruptions to his devotions?
(a) imperfections in himself
(b) remembering the girl on the tram
(c) images of Emma in his head
(d) the teasing of other boys
2. What does the rector say the retreat signifies?
(a) a chance to enter the seminary
(b) a withdrawal from the worldly cares
(c) a time off for good behavior
(d) a dedication to better study
3. What does Stephen resolve to do?
(a) become a priest
(b) find Emma and marry her
(c) go and preach to the prostitutes in the brothel
(d) make up for his sinful past with every hour of his life
4. What does the rector announce that will take place on Friday?
(a) a banquet will be served
(b) a day of prayer and meditation will be observed
(c) all classes will be shortened
(d) confession will be heard
5. What distracting sight does Stephen come upon while he wades in the water?
(a) a long legged crane perched on one leg
(b) a porpoise leaping in the salty water
(c) a beautiful girl standing in the water gazing out to sea
(d) a passing ship headed for new adventures
6. Although he purposefully enters the brothel, how does he feel later?
(a) disturbed that he cannot save the workers there
(b) wounded and shamed by much of what he perceives there
(c) justified that he acted only out of nature
(d) numbed as though he had not gone in
7. What does Stephen think about when he hears his name called?
(a) startled that he almost forgot his real name
(b) what a strange name he has
(c) Jesus calling his disciples to follow him
(d) the Greek myth of Daedalus and his son Icarus as prophecy
8. What offer does the director make to Stephen when he calls him to his office?
(a) to become his assistant
(b) to become the student enforcer
(c) to join the Jesuits
(d) to skip a grade in school
9. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
(a) his interest in the lives of saints
(b) his ability to avoid temptation
(c) his many daily temptations
(d) his lingering guilt for his past
10. What suddenly awakens in Stephen as he revels in nature along the breakwater?
(a) a longing for security
(b) a better understanding of his family
(c) a new found creativity
(d) a desire to return to the church
11. What does Stephen seem to hear now that he has changed the course of his life?
(a) strains of elfin music filled with nature
(b) symphonies of opportunity
(c) raindrops falling on his head
(d) noisey clanging of discord
12. Where does Stephen's walking around in smaller and smaller circles eventually lead him?
(a) to the brothel quarter
(b) the the church
(c) to his home
(d) to the school
13. How does the priest react to Stephen's confession?
(a) with kind words and exhortation
(b) suspicious that the boy is exaggerating
(c) in shock and disgust
(d) refusing to give absolution
14. Who from the Bible are contrasted by the preacher?
(a) Pontius Pilate is contrasted with christ.
(b) Moses is contrasted with Christ.
(c) Pharaoh is contrasted with Christ.
(d) Adam and Eve are contrasted with Christ.
15. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
(a) while someone is dying
(b) while committing a deliberate sin
(c) while friends are weeping over the coffin
(d) while the world comes to an end
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
2. How could Stephen's thoughts after leaving the director's office be described in one word?
3. How does Stephen begin seeing himself?
4. What does Stephen suddenly realize about his family relationships?
5. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)