|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen begin seeing himself?
(a) as a political leader of men
(b) as a rag picker without hope
(c) as a stern disciplinarian of boys
(d) as an artist forging a new life
2. What does Stephen suddenly realize about his family relationships?
(a) that they have never been strong
(b) that they are silently severing
(c) that they are becoming stronger
(d) that they have stiffled the family
3. What worries Stephen about his devotions?
(a) that no degree of devotion shall ever be enough
(b) that he is not doing them the right way
(c) that he is forgetting some improtant devltions
(d) that there is not enough time in the day to do them all
4. Why does Stephen exert enormous energy in filling his days with penitent devotion, zealous prayers, and rosary recitations?
(a) to please his mother
(b) to prepare himself for the seminary
(c) to memorize Catholic ritual
(d) in elaborate attempts to mortify his senses
5. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
(a) It is choked with emotion.
(b) It fails him completely.
(c) It becomes stronger.
(d) It is low and murmuring.
6. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
(a) lies down and falls asleep
(b) returns to look for the girl
(c) runs home to tell his mother
(d) goes home to write poetry
7. What does Stephen resolve to do?
(a) go and preach to the prostitutes in the brothel
(b) become a priest
(c) find Emma and marry her
(d) make up for his sinful past with every hour of his life
8. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
(a) while the world comes to an end
(b) while someone is dying
(c) while committing a deliberate sin
(d) while friends are weeping over the coffin
9. What begins to take on an attractive appearance to Stephen?
(a) his face in the mirror
(b) having religious discussions
(c) the idea of becoming a priest
(d) giving in to temptation
10. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
(a) the eternal suffering in hell
(b) the treatment Jesus endured at the hands of man
(c) the prison for those who commit murder
(d) the heads of people who willfully sin
11. Where does Stephen's father want to send him?
(a) to Australia
(b) the university
(c) to New York
(d) to a trade school
12. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
(a) to pretend to plug up his ears
(b) to put an apple on the rector's desk
(c) to ask the rector a difficult question
(d) to lead a salute to the rector
13. What sensation does Stephen get while thinking back to Clongowes?
(a) He feels his soul become childlike.
(b) He feels ashamed of his father's financial difficulties.
(c) He feels like the retreat is like falling into a ditch.
(d) He feels all grown up.
14. What does Stephen think about when he hears his name called?
(a) the Greek myth of Daedalus and his son Icarus as prophecy
(b) startled that he almost forgot his real name
(c) Jesus calling his disciples to follow him
(d) what a strange name he has
15. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
(a) his interest in the lives of saints
(b) his lingering guilt for his past
(c) his many daily temptations
(d) his ability to avoid temptation
Short Answer Questions
1. What begins to needle him and cause minor disruptions to his devotions?
2. Where does Stephen's walking around in smaller and smaller circles eventually lead him?
3. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
4. What does Stephen feel by allowing sin to creep near to him before resisting it at the last moment?
5. At the first of the retreat, what helps to awaken Stephen's soul slightly?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)