|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Stephen's voice as he gets to his major sin?
(a) It becomes stronger.
(b) It is low and murmuring.
(c) It is choked with emotion.
(d) It fails him completely.
2. What is Stephen coming to believe about gaining wisdom?
(a) It must come from his own experience.
(b) It must happen through a miracle.
(c) It must involve his family.
(d) It must be learned through study.
3. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
(a) while committing a deliberate sin
(b) while someone is dying
(c) while the world comes to an end
(d) while friends are weeping over the coffin
4. What does Stephen seem to hear now that he has changed the course of his life?
(a) noisey clanging of discord
(b) raindrops falling on his head
(c) strains of elfin music filled with nature
(d) symphonies of opportunity
5. At the first of the retreat, what helps to awaken Stephen's soul slightly?
(a) the topic of a caring God
(b) the topics of love and forgiveness
(c) the topic of Pergatory
(d) the topics of death and judgment
6. What is Stephen's condition as he leaves the retreat?
(a) Stephen is happy that he has overcome his lusts.
(b) Stephen is determined to leave the Church.
(c) Stephen is so sick he fears he may have already died.
(d) Stephen is rebellious against all he had heard.
7. What offer does the director make to Stephen when he calls him to his office?
(a) to become his assistant
(b) to become the student enforcer
(c) to join the Jesuits
(d) to skip a grade in school
8. How does the priest react to Stephen's confession?
(a) in shock and disgust
(b) with kind words and exhortation
(c) suspicious that the boy is exaggerating
(d) refusing to give absolution
9. Who from the Bible are contrasted by the preacher?
(a) Pharaoh is contrasted with Christ.
(b) Pontius Pilate is contrasted with christ.
(c) Moses is contrasted with Christ.
(d) Adam and Eve are contrasted with Christ.
10. What does the rector announce to the class?
(a) an early dismissal for the next few days
(b) a retreat over the next few days
(c) tests for a scholarship program
(d) extra credit for serving as altarboys
11. Leaving the director's office, what does Stephen think about the life offered him?
(a) He questions his motives for wanting to be a priest.
(b) He does not see the priest as being more devoted than he is.
(c) He is filled with fear that his family will reject him.
(d) He is filled with pride that the director thinks he is so good.
12. In whose honor is the retreat being held?
(a) Saint Francis of Assissi
(b) The Virgin Mary
(c) Saint Francis Xavier, patron of the college
(d) Saint Jude, patron of lost causes
13. What does Stephen think about when he hears his name called?
(a) Jesus calling his disciples to follow him
(b) startled that he almost forgot his real name
(c) the Greek myth of Daedalus and his son Icarus as prophecy
(d) what a strange name he has
14. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
(a) as an atheist
(b) as an agnostic
(c) as a hypocrite
(d) as a Jesuit
15. What does Stephen feel by allowing sin to creep near to him before resisting it at the last moment?
(a) a terrible fear
(b) a sense of power
(c) like playing a joke on the devil
(d) an intolerable weakness
Short Answer Questions
1. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
2. What begins to take on an attractive appearance to Stephen?
3. To what does Stephen devote each different day of the week?
4. What begins to needle him and cause minor disruptions to his devotions?
5. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)