|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
(a) confession and renewal
(b) death, judgment, hell, and heaven
(c) mortifying the flesh
(d) sin and salvation
2. What about his life in the past does Stephen now wonder about?
(a) why he always thinks too much
(b) why he had been born
(c) why he refused the priesthood
(d) why his family always had such bad luck
3. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
(a) only joy and pain
(b) only anxiety and fear
(c) only hunger and thirst
(d) only brief anger and lust
4. When does the preacher say the soul of the sinner is judged, and the time for repentance is passed?
(a) while friends are weeping over the coffin
(b) while committing a deliberate sin
(c) while someone is dying
(d) while the world comes to an end
5. What begins to take on an attractive appearance to Stephen?
(a) the idea of becoming a priest
(b) having religious discussions
(c) giving in to temptation
(d) his face in the mirror
6. How does Stephen classify one who plays the role of a believer though he does not believe?
(a) as a hypocrite
(b) as an agnostic
(c) as an atheist
(d) as a Jesuit
7. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
(a) to find Emma and beg her forgiveness
(b) to go by the brothels to see if he can overcome his lusts
(c) to return to school and see Father Arnall
(d) to find a chapel in which to confess
8. What is Stephen's condition as he leaves the retreat?
(a) Stephen is so sick he fears he may have already died.
(b) Stephen is rebellious against all he had heard.
(c) Stephen is determined to leave the Church.
(d) Stephen is happy that he has overcome his lusts.
9. How does the priest react to Stephen's confession?
(a) with kind words and exhortation
(b) refusing to give absolution
(c) suspicious that the boy is exaggerating
(d) in shock and disgust
10. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
(a) His heart withers with fear.
(b) He is glad he will have a chance to reform.
(c) His attitude is one of boredom.
(d) He plans to be sick next Friday.
11. Where does Stephen's walking around in smaller and smaller circles eventually lead him?
(a) the the church
(b) to the brothel quarter
(c) to his home
(d) to the school
12. What is the symbolism used to show Stephen's returning to nature?
(a) whistling a response to the song birds
(b) removing his stockings and wading in the breakwater
(c) joining the boys to swim in the water
(d) picking up rocks for his collection
13. As he goes outside, what serves to increase his piety?
(a) the raw morning air
(b) the songs of the birds
(c) the sound of bells
(d) the smell of baking bread
14. How could Stephen's thoughts after leaving the director's office be described in one word?
15. What worries Stephen about his devotions?
(a) that he is forgetting some improtant devltions
(b) that no degree of devotion shall ever be enough
(c) that there is not enough time in the day to do them all
(d) that he is not doing them the right way
Short Answer Questions
1. What offer does the director make to Stephen when he calls him to his office?
2. What begins to needle him and cause minor disruptions to his devotions?
3. How does Stephen begin to see his mother's faith?
4. What does the rector announce to the class?
5. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)