|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the symbolism used to show Stephen's returning to nature?
(a) joining the boys to swim in the water
(b) whistling a response to the song birds
(c) picking up rocks for his collection
(d) removing his stockings and wading in the breakwater
2. Going through all these strict devotions, how does Stephen come to feel about himself?
(a) as newly born and as having a virtuous soul
(b) as a serious candidate for the priesthood
(c) as an unworthy penitent
(d) as a person burdened with grave responsibility
3. What does Stephen think when he sees his friends playing in the water?
(a) how they look characterless and pitiable in their nakedness
(b) how confident they appear against his insecurities
(c) how much stronger their bodies appear than his does
(d) how they seem happy and without a care in the world
4. What goes through Stephen's head as he enters the confessional?
(a) He anticipates great relief afterward.
(b) He considers running away.
(c) He wonders if the priest will recognize his voice.
(d) He wishes his sin had been any but the one it is.
5. Although he purposefully enters the brothel, how does he feel later?
(a) numbed as though he had not gone in
(b) disturbed that he cannot save the workers there
(c) wounded and shamed by much of what he perceives there
(d) justified that he acted only out of nature
6. What strikes fear into the sinner, but is a blessed moment for the believer?
(b) the divil
(d) the Eucharist
7. What does Stephen think about when he hears his name called?
(a) Jesus calling his disciples to follow him
(b) what a strange name he has
(c) startled that he almost forgot his real name
(d) the Greek myth of Daedalus and his son Icarus as prophecy
8. Leaving the director's office, what does Stephen think about the life offered him?
(a) He is filled with pride that the director thinks he is so good.
(b) He is filled with fear that his family will reject him.
(c) He does not see the priest as being more devoted than he is.
(d) He questions his motives for wanting to be a priest.
9. How does Stephen now view the guardians of his boyhood?
(a) as ways of keeping him ignorant
(b) as necessary influences
(c) as means of controlling him
(d) as the factor that has made him strong
10. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
(a) She has chosen him to be her white knight.
(b) She can order her Son to do her will.
(c) As a mother, she overlooks the sins of her children.
(d) Mary does not humiliate the sinner who approaches her.
11. What distracting sight does Stephen come upon while he wades in the water?
(a) a porpoise leaping in the salty water
(b) a long legged crane perched on one leg
(c) a beautiful girl standing in the water gazing out to sea
(d) a passing ship headed for new adventures
12. How does Stephen come to view all of creation?
(a) as an accident of nature
(b) as a reminder of the lust in the world
(c) as the evolution of the species
(d) as an expression of God's love and power
13. When the rector enters the classroom, what does the boy behind Stephen want him to do?
(a) to ask the rector a difficult question
(b) to put an apple on the rector's desk
(c) to pretend to plug up his ears
(d) to lead a salute to the rector
14. Who from the Bible are contrasted by the preacher?
(a) Pharaoh is contrasted with Christ.
(b) Pontius Pilate is contrasted with christ.
(c) Adam and Eve are contrasted with Christ.
(d) Moses is contrasted with Christ.
15. What does Stephen resolve to do?
(a) find Emma and marry her
(b) become a priest
(c) go and preach to the prostitutes in the brothel
(d) make up for his sinful past with every hour of his life
Short Answer Questions
1. At the first of the retreat, what helps to awaken Stephen's soul slightly?
2. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
3. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
4. What does the preacher say awaits those who do not make use of the atonement of Christ to right their relationship with God?
5. What is it about his mother that really bothers Stephen when the subject of the university comes up?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)