|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What begins to take on an attractive appearance to Stephen?
(a) giving in to temptation
(b) the idea of becoming a priest
(c) his face in the mirror
(d) having religious discussions
2. What does the rector say the retreat signifies?
(a) a time off for good behavior
(b) a withdrawal from the worldly cares
(c) a dedication to better study
(d) a chance to enter the seminary
3. Alone in his room, what does Stephen see when he closes his eyes?
(a) the girl Emma begging bread
(b) faces of saints
(c) his sins replayed before him
(d) the tears of the virgin Mary
4. What will be the subjects of the retreat?
(a) mortifying the flesh
(b) confession and renewal
(c) sin and salvation
(d) death, judgment, hell, and heaven
5. What is the symbolism used to show Stephen's returning to nature?
(a) picking up rocks for his collection
(b) removing his stockings and wading in the breakwater
(c) whistling a response to the song birds
(d) joining the boys to swim in the water
6. How does Stephen react to the announcement of the rector?
(a) He is glad he will have a chance to reform.
(b) His heart withers with fear.
(c) He plans to be sick next Friday.
(d) His attitude is one of boredom.
7. What does Stephen think about when he hears his name called?
(a) what a strange name he has
(b) Jesus calling his disciples to follow him
(c) the Greek myth of Daedalus and his son Icarus as prophecy
(d) startled that he almost forgot his real name
8. What has Stephen been able to feel instead of love or hate?
(a) only brief anger and lust
(b) only anxiety and fear
(c) only joy and pain
(d) only hunger and thirst
9. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
(a) the fear of God
(b) the priest is watching him
(c) the Virgin Mary
(d) the peacefulness of the chapel
10. What strikes fear into the sinner, but is a blessed moment for the believer?
(a) the divil
(b) the Eucharist
11. What does Stephen do after running in ecstasy along the beach?
(a) goes home to write poetry
(b) lies down and falls asleep
(c) returns to look for the girl
(d) runs home to tell his mother
12. How does the priest react to Stephen's confession?
(a) in shock and disgust
(b) with kind words and exhortation
(c) refusing to give absolution
(d) suspicious that the boy is exaggerating
13. What does the preacher say awaits those who do not make use of the atonement of Christ to right their relationship with God?
14. Who does not want Stephen to go to the university?
(a) the Jesuits
(c) his brothers and sisters
(d) his mother
15. How does Stephen see himself because of his frequent visits to the brothel?
(a) as a man and no longer a boy
(b) sunk into a swamp of spiritual and bodily sloth
(c) as a liberated Catholic
(d) as an addict who cannot help himself
Short Answer Questions
1. Since the only sins Stephen has to confess these days are minor, what does his confessor want him to name?
2. To what does Stephen devote each different day of the week?
3. What causes Stephen to recall how saints were tried again and again by sin?
4. Who from the Bible are contrasted by the preacher?
5. What distracting sight does Stephen come upon while he wades in the water?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)