Final Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are some things Stephen remembers while contemplating his sins?
(a) peeping on girls in their bath
(b) the ribald poetery he wrote
(c) his sordid dreams and the foul letters he had written
(d) the filthy pictures he had drawn
2. What interpretation does Stephen give to his dream and visions of beasts in the field?
(a) That it is the hell awaiting him: bestial and foul.
(b) That anyone looking at him will know his sins.
(c) That he will reincarnate as a beast.
(d) That he will find salvation in a field.
3. How does Stephen feel about the Virgin?
(a) She has chosen him to be her white knight.
(b) She can order her Son to do her will.
(c) Mary does not humiliate the sinner who approaches her.
(d) As a mother, she overlooks the sins of her children.
4. What suddenly awakens in Stephen as he revels in nature along the breakwater?
(a) a new found creativity
(b) a better understanding of his family
(c) a longing for security
(d) a desire to return to the church
5. What worries Stephen about his devotions?
(a) that he is forgetting some improtant devltions
(b) that no degree of devotion shall ever be enough
(c) that he is not doing them the right way
(d) that there is not enough time in the day to do them all
6. Although he purposefully enters the brothel, how does he feel later?
(a) numbed as though he had not gone in
(b) justified that he acted only out of nature
(c) wounded and shamed by much of what he perceives there
(d) disturbed that he cannot save the workers there
7. What distracting sight does Stephen come upon while he wades in the water?
(a) a long legged crane perched on one leg
(b) a porpoise leaping in the salty water
(c) a passing ship headed for new adventures
(d) a beautiful girl standing in the water gazing out to sea
8. What keeps him from confessing his unworthiness and walking out of the chapel?
(a) the priest is watching him
(b) the fear of God
(c) the peacefulness of the chapel
(d) the Virgin Mary
9. What is happening with Stephen during further hard times for the family?
(a) He is turning to a life of crime.
(b) He is leaning toward joining the Jesuits.
(c) He is losing his faith again.
(d) He is growing stronger in his faith.
10. What do the sermons do for Stephen?
(a) They make him reject the teaching of the Church.
(b) They put him to sleep.
(c) They pierce Stephen's clouded mind and sin-numbed soul.
(d) They give him a good laugh.
11. What strikes fear into the sinner, but is a blessed moment for the believer?
(a) the divil
(b) the Eucharist
12. What is Stephen's condition as he leaves the retreat?
(a) Stephen is determined to leave the Church.
(b) Stephen is so sick he fears he may have already died.
(c) Stephen is rebellious against all he had heard.
(d) Stephen is happy that he has overcome his lusts.
13. What does Stephen resolve to do?
(a) make up for his sinful past with every hour of his life
(b) find Emma and marry her
(c) go and preach to the prostitutes in the brothel
(d) become a priest
14. Who does not want Stephen to go to the university?
(a) his brothers and sisters
(b) his mother
(c) the Jesuits
15. After dinner, why does Stephen march out of the house?
(a) to find a chapel in which to confess
(b) to go by the brothels to see if he can overcome his lusts
(c) to find Emma and beg her forgiveness
(d) to return to school and see Father Arnall
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephen's walking around in smaller and smaller circles eventually lead him?
2. What is Stephen coming to believe about gaining wisdom?
3. What is detailed by cramped conditions, the darkness, the stench, the fires, the enraged howls and suffering screams of the damned, and the mocking of devils?
4. Where does Stephen's father want to send him?
5. How old is Stephen when he goes to confess his terrible sin?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)